Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BraveUlysses posted:

why did you bring it up in the first place

:thunk:

All the tire talk, and my brain goes random places some times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

veedubfreak posted:

I'm guessing Ferret King likes to bang his car into poo poo constantly, why else would he be so offended that I trashed people that can't keep their cars off other cars and wheels off curbs.

What I've posted doesn't indicate any of that.

However, what you've posted exclaims to the world that you're a petulant child that doesn't understand the chaotic world we live in.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Ferret King posted:

What I've posted doesn't indicate any of that.

However, what you've posted exclaims to the world that you're a petulant child that doesn't understand the chaotic world we live in.

Yes, being a chaotic world gives you the right to damage my property then drive away, and I'm supposed to not get mad.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

veedubfreak posted:

Yes, being a chaotic world gives you the right to damage my property then drive away, and I'm supposed to not get mad.

The best car I've ever owned was totaled at 4:30AM, street parked in front of my residence between two other cars. It was picked clean out of the line of cars, wrecked eight ways to hell by an unlicensed drunk driver.

The second best car I've ever owned was towed from our own parking lot incorrectly, and the towing company completely ruined the front bumper (either took a flat -> steep hill street too fast or actually backed it into something) and refused after weeks of harassing to do anything about it.

The second incident happened first; the only thing that I could change between them happening was the way I reacted. When my bumper got ruined I couldn't let it go for months and it made me generally not enjoy the car. When a different, better car got totaled I had to shrug it off and move on. Guess which one affected my life less? Hint: it was the one where I completely lost my car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

My dude you can get mad but it won't change the outcome. In your instance it does suck a whole lot what happens to you but poo poo happens sometimes, and the only person that's going to get the poo poo dealt to them is you and you might as well not make it any worse. The reason people want to jump on you and get you grinding is precisely because you can't seem to deal with it.
How many custom titles have you had to buy yourself to replace ones that people have bought you?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any GTI owners with a DSG? Any regrets that you didn't get a manual?

I didnt mind the DSG in my wife's former TDI sportwagen but that was a boring engine and not driven hard.

edit: goddamnit i wish they offered the adaptive cruise control as standard on gti instead of an option on SE and std on Autobahn

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 23, 2017

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I didnt mind the DSG in my wife's former TDI sportwagen but that was a boring engine and not driven hard.

edit: goddamnit i wish they offered the adaptive cruise control as standard on gti instead of an option on SE and std on Autobahn

I love the DSG in my '16 GTI. Many people piss and moan about the poor stock programming of the trans, but I have 4k miles on mine and am really happy with it. I traded in my '11 Mustang GT manual back in 2014 and said I would never own another manual. The DSG is really great and I wouldn't hesitate to get it.

Unless you really like the leather seats or sunroof I think the Sport is the best 2017 trim. Add a Helix subwoofer (fantastic upgrade) and you will be set. My 2016 is S trim with LP and PP so it is similar to the 2017 Sport.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
On the plus side, the DSG handles extra power without smoking the clutch (es) like the manual.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
These are good wheels and tires:
(16x7 rpf1 w firehawk Indy 500s)

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yup that looks slick, except you got those wheels in the wrong color. Should be white!

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

BraveUlysses posted:

Not a bit. I'd prefer a manual, but this lets me and the wife switch cars around. And the DSG really is pretty great. Mine's still ticking at 130k without a hiccup.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The seven speed in the lower powered cars put me off DSGs for life but if you've never had the 'joy' of one of them there's nothing wrong with the six speed in the Golf

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PabloBOOM posted:

Not a bit. I'd prefer a manual, but this lets me and the wife switch cars around. And the DSG really is pretty great. Mine's still ticking at 130k without a hiccup.

Does she not want to learn/doesn't like manuals? When I had a DSG I hated the thing and couldn't wait to get back into my manual. Probably more to do with my expectations and also not living with it for more than a week but I truly disliked that thing.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

KakerMix posted:

Does she not want to learn/doesn't like manuals? When I had a DSG I hated the thing and couldn't wait to get back into my manual. Probably more to do with my expectations and also not living with it for more than a week but I truly disliked that thing.

She was willing to learn once upon a time... But she's one of those drivers that struggles to drive... Yknow, in a straight line. Throwing in another pedal was too much. And when I found my gti, I wasn't specifically avoiding manuals, but was happy with it after some test driving and it gave our house more flexibility, so hey. Keep in mind my DD before it was a 4 speed auto forester so my baseline coming to it was hilariously low.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

Yup that looks slick, except you got those wheels in the wrong color. Should be white!

Did the Oakos group buy, no color options this time around. Just happy to have a really nice lightweight wheel available for this car, 4x108 is tough.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

After 10000k's in my Skoda I'm still pretty happy with the DSG. I use my car for work so its only occasionally I wish I had a manual I reckon it'd be about 500km total so far.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If I could only own one car it'd probably be something with a DSG. I was very impressed with it on my '12 GTI I had a few years ago, and the traffic in the Bay Area is too nasty to only have a stick.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PabloBOOM posted:

She was willing to learn once upon a time... But she's one of those drivers that struggles to drive... Yknow, in a straight line. Throwing in another pedal was too much. And when I found my gti, I wasn't specifically avoiding manuals, but was happy with it after some test driving and it gave our house more flexibility, so hey. Keep in mind my DD before it was a 4 speed auto forester so my baseline coming to it was hilariously low.

Nah it's fine, was just curious. My baseline in comparison to the DSG was the six speed manual from a Golf R so naturally I wasn't happy with it.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If I could only own one car it'd probably be something with a DSG. I was very impressed with it on my '12 GTI I had a few years ago, and the traffic in the Bay Area is too nasty to only have a stick.

This is also something too, I don't commute so it's easy for me to go "why does anyone want an automatic and who needs more than 40 hp????"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just recently bought an Evo X with SST (DSG) and coming from a manual it was a bit weird at first but I do not regret it at all. My commute is garbage and not having to operate a clutch 400 times in an hour (even with good speed management) is nice.

you still have the annoying doughy feeling of an automatic when accelerating from a stop/crawl, and all it wants to do is get to the highest possible gear its programming says it can for the current speed, but if you learn to manage it properly its not so bad. Just gotta remember to give it a bit of gas before an incline or use the brakes a little while going downhill so that it doesnt shift up. Or, alternatively, knock the stick over into Manual shifting and do it yourself.

as a daily driver it is definitely the best of both worlds and the different drive modes (which also control throttle response and how aggressive the engine braking logic behaves) on the Evo at least mean you dont lose anything hoon-wise when you want to drive like a lunatic. Given that it has launch control I dont feel like Im missing out with regards to not being able to dump the clutch and I could never heel toe anyway :v:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Personally I'd rather commute in my manual Mazda3 than an auto Evo - there is more to a good commuter car than transmission choice.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dissss posted:

Personally I'd rather commute in my manual Mazda3 than an auto Evo - there is more to a good commuter car than transmission choice.

Coming from a lowered 180sx with a straight pipe anything is a better commuter vehicle :v:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Looking to replace my 2008 Civic Si in the Spring (can't see buying a new car only to subject it to a Midwestern Winter right away). I've always liked GTIs and am interested in the 2018 mid-cycle refresh that should be out this Fall.

I ran up to a nearby dealership in WI that has a white SE model on the lot as I wanted to see one in person and my local dealer has none. I noticed an addendum to the sticker that said something along the lines of, "The asking price for this vehicle is MSRP plus a $249 dealer adjustment".

My company has VW partnership pricing which should allow me to show up with a form and a copy of my paystub and automatically get a price of $500 under invoice. Unfortunately, there's a clause in there about the dealership reserving the right to decline a sale on "vehicles with limited availability".

Has any of you had a situation where you should be able to get a standard price on a vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to honor it?

I mean, we also have these deals with GM/Ford/Chrysler and a couple other manufacturers and I can see Ford not honoring it on a GT and Dodge on a Viper, but the GTI doesn't appear to be that rare.

WescottF1 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 26, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Finally wore down my OEM Goodyears on the FoST and the replacements are being put on shortly:

:getin:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

WescottF1 posted:

Looking to replace my 2008 Civic Si in the Spring (can't see buying a new car only to subject it to a Midwestern Winter right away). I've always liked GTIs and am interested in the 2018 mid-cycle refresh that should be out this Fall.

I ran up to a nearby dealership in WI that has a white SE model on the lot as I wanted to see one in person and my local dealer has none. I noticed an addendum to the sticker that said something along the lines of, "The asking price for this vehicle is MSRP plus a $249 dealer adjustment".

My company has VW partnership pricing which should allow me to show up with a form and a copy of my paystub and automatically get a price of $500 under invoice. Unfortunately, there's a clause in there about the dealership reserving the right to decline a sale on "vehicles with limited availability".

Has any of you had a situation where you should be able to get a standard price on a vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to honor it?

I mean, we also have these deals with GM/Ford/Chrysler and a couple other manufacturers and I can see Ford not honoring it on a GT and Dodge on a Viper, but the GTI doesn't appear to be that rare.

Nah, you'll be fine. VW is hurting for sales still.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

WescottF1 posted:

People are buying these for $5k under MSRP regularly. If they don't want to sell a car find a different dealership.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
VW partner price is kinda poo poo IMO, its giving me 1620 off msrp, truecar does 1570 and i'm guessing costco isn't any better.

How much you can get off retail is really dependent on where you live and if you want the 0.9% APR you will pay a higher price to get that rate. most of the discounted prices shown online are for cash or if you take the 2.9% (or higher) non promo APR.

lol the truecar discount also takes into account if the dealer adds a hosed up markup on top, i see exactly 2570 off at a dealer in seattle

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 26, 2017

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

VW partner price is kinda poo poo IMO, its giving me 1620 off msrp, truecar does 1570 and i'm guessing costco isn't any better.

How much you can get off retail is really dependent on where you live and if you want the 0.9% APR you will pay a higher price to get that rate. most of the discounted prices shown online are for cash or if you take the 2.9% (or higher) non promo APR.

lol the truecar discount also takes into account if the dealer adds a hosed up markup on top, i see exactly 2570 off at a dealer in seattle

Truecar puts a GTI Sport w/ DSG at 30235 and actual price at 26.5. I have a friend that bought that exact car last month for 26.5. That's the top of what you should be paying. So only 3700 on the hood

e. In Seattle since I know you're local

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Just bought a big turbo for the FiST. This has escalated quickly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Yesssssss.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm not sure where you're located, but many east coast dealers seem to work pricing magic on GTIs. May be worth the drive/vacation.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

howling_mad posted:

I'm not sure where you're located, but many east coast dealers seem to work pricing magic on GTIs. May be worth the drive/vacation.

You can get online quotes from some of them too. Get one and take it to a local dealer and tell them to get close enough that their price makes up for the hassle of traveling.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

howling_mad posted:

yeah i'm all the way across the country so i might give it a try but i hightly doubt they'll drop down that much. those east coast dealers are like 3-4k less for a sport and they have way more sales volume to make up the difference

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
The more I read up on it, the more I'm tempted to get a test drive in the 2017 the lot has. Their Internet price is right about the TrueCar average and a friend of mine is interested in my Si so I can get a better price than trade-in.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

PaintVagrant posted:

I've been out of the modding scene since the SRT-4 days, hows the drive train on those hold up? What kind of power levels you looking at? You have a DD for when poo poo breaks?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I've been out of the modding scene since the SRT-4 days, hows the drive train on those hold up? What kind of power levels you looking at? You have a DD for when poo poo breaks?

Stock engine good up to ~360-400whp, trans maybe fragile...verdict is still out. I am not rough on transmissions really, I dont do digs or powershift or any of that kid poo poo. Looking at a reliable 250-275 hp and torque at wheels. DD situation is fine. The kit I ended up going with is this:

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-ST-MRX-Turbocharger-Upgrade-p/2364-tu-aa.htm

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Michelin PSS is life. Holy gently caress these things feel fantastic.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

PaintVagrant posted:

Stock engine good up to ~360-400whp, trans maybe fragile...verdict is still out. I am not rough on transmissions really, I dont do digs or powershift or any of that kid poo poo. Looking at a reliable 250-275 hp and torque at wheels. DD situation is fine. The kit I ended up going with is this:

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-ST-MRX-Turbocharger-Upgrade-p/2364-tu-aa.htm

Very cool Looks like a reasonable kit. Enjoy!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Very cool Looks like a reasonable kit. Enjoy!

Yeah definitely not looking to push the envelope, just alter the powerband and get a bit more power :D Can't wait for my next trackday.

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

I've had the x37 in mine for about 10 months with zero issues (around 6k miles). Getting around 250hp the car is perfect now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Kiger_Soze posted:

I've had the x37 in mine for about 10 months with zero issues (around 6k miles). Getting around 250hp the car is perfect now.

Awesome! I took a serious look at the hybrid turbos, but the cost was very close to the mountune kit and no waiting for shipping from the UK and sending cores back, etc. I was very close to buying and X-47 though...