Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I like to try to get 5 worlds colonized in about 15-20 years, I find that gives me a good base to build from.

Wow that seems fast or I'm really slow (prob that one). I'm at about 30 years now and only have 4 :(, although I guess a 5th ship is on the way. Do you just beeline the expansion tradition to get to 5 direct control colony's or are you using sectors?

E: Guess you answered that.

Also for any other new players I thought this youtube series was useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxAmewv2-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's where I got the idea for rushing 5 worlds:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/5gvai8/5core_setting_yourself_up_for_the_midgame_insane/

It's pretty in depth and I don't micromanage as hard as this person, but it has a lot of great info.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I made a hivemind in a tiny universe and it feels way different. I liked the devouring swarm perk a bunch.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm looking at getting Stellaris for the first time, is Utopia a good expansion that's worth spending money on?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I let the nomads settle a dry world in my empire and they formed a Fanatic Purifier empire that has 6000 fleet strength and immediately closed borders.

I've got like ~1000 strength.

:negative:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

you can do the doomstack poo poo in ck2 as well once you get rolling.

eu4 makes it a bit harder until you are unstoppably huge or late prussia at least :v:

I can't get even a tiny stack to take over one province in CK2. I have a proper dejour claim to the land. I just can't figure out how to raise more troops. So CK2 isn't for me.
Don't tell me about tutorials online or in the game. Stellaris is simple and I can figure out how to make a nice big mass of ships to destroy those fanatic purifiers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

I can't get even a tiny stack to take over one province in CK2. I have a proper dejour claim to the land. I just can't figure out how to raise more troops. So CK2 isn't for me.
Don't tell me about tutorials online or in the game. Stellaris is simple and I can figure out how to make a nice big mass of ships to destroy those fanatic purifiers.

Yea I bounced off CK2 the same way but took to Stellaris like a duck to water. Err, or like a space duck to melted comet ice. :v:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Fintilgin posted:

I let the nomads settle a dry world in my empire and they formed a Fanatic Purifier empire that has 6000 fleet strength and immediately closed borders.

I've got like ~1000 strength.

:negative:

No good deed goes unpunished. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Etcetera, etcetera.

If you're going to be nice in this game you better make sure you have the firepower to back it up.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

After reading that 5 core thing Efficient Bureaucracy sounds really good . Starting with +2 direct control seems way better than the +8% fire rate distinguished admirals I took on my babies first race.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm looking at getting Stellaris for the first time, is Utopia a good expansion that's worth spending money on?

It kind of depends on whether you end up liking the base game. It's not a radical departure, it kind of just adds more stuff.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Axetrain posted:

After reading that 5 core thing Efficient Bureaucracy sounds really good . Starting with +2 direct control seems way better than the +8% fire rate distinguished admirals I took on my babies first race.

FOR THE UNION KEEPS US STRONG :ussr::hf::911: :jackreedcryinginfrontofthechicacgoskyline:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Axetrain posted:

Thanks, I thought I could just grab resources by building colony's over my limit and then just instantly sector them early on, and that went pretty poorly. My other game I thought "wow look at all these resources around me ill just build as many frontier outposts as I can to grab them all :downs:!" without realizing that it would bottom out my influence and gently caress me. After reading a bunch of guides I've got a better Idea of how to manage my resources to expand a little more patiently. I like that Stellaris is more friendly to new people than the other Paradox games but it's still plenty different enough from Civ that I kind of have to get my head around it.

Dropping new worlds in sectors is actually fine, you just have to tune the sector settings correctly. Industrial Focus is absolutely key (this is less true now that you pay Consumer Goods costs and not the Sectors, but is still true), but to prevent them overdoing it you'll likely want to leave them on Respect Tile Resources as well. Space construction should be off for your first sector as well, as you can just manage that yourself. Colonization can be turned on late, but leave it off initially, and maybe forever because it's annoying having a sector spend your influence for you. Disable Military Stations, at no point should that ever be on, and you should never ever build any.

The key is making sectors as mineral focused as the player; minerals are life.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=956500180

A dude made ironclad spaceships and it is the tightest poo poo imo:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you probably only want one sector anyway

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

FOR THE UNION KEEPS US STRONG :ussr::hf::911: :jackreedcryinginfrontofthechicacgoskyline:

If I wanted to RP it more correctly I should have chosen egalitarian instead of militarist I think but I need more firepower to kill space tyrants. Also red/black but watching a red screen for hours on end was off putting.

What do people favor for 1st ascension point?

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 27, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Axetrain posted:

Wow that seems fast or I'm really slow (prob that one). I'm at about 30 years now and only have 4 :(, although I guess a 5th ship is on the way.

Don't worry, it's probably just your playstyle. I for example tend to wait at least 10 years before I even start building my first colony ship. I spend this extra time rushing through my first tradition-tree (most of the time, exploration) and putting down stations in every bit of space I can control.

Sometimes I find 1-2 nice places for outposts, and my first colonies have to wait even longer. :v:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Axetrain posted:

If I wanted to RP it more correctly I should have chosen egalitarian instead of militarist I think but I need more firepower to kill space tyrants. Also red/black but watching a red screen for hours on end was off putting.

Most people will say Mastery of Nature and I can't really argue with them; I like Imperial Prerogative but I'm kind of obsessive about remaining in control of my planets, moreso I think than most are.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Mister Adequate posted:

No go in that timeline, they elected Curtis and shot Long. They then just stole the name 150 years later.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Axetrain posted:

Research +10% if you take that and have done some other stuff you can have your research for one of your three things pretty consistently in the 90s/100s and it's nice to have a ton more things researched than people around you because they'll keep you alive just to learn stuff.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I usually use the +5 core systems perk because hot dang I don't like dealing with sectors :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

IAmTheRad posted:

Presuming both he and you are similar size, like, you're both feudal one province?

Marshal(Hope he's a good one) to Train Troops in your home province(Because he'll be doing the same). If possible, revoke the city and/or temple in your home province. You need the raw troop numbers right now, and they too will be affected by Train Troops once they're in your control. You'll want to hand them out again later as you grow and go over your demense limit.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 27, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I likw the 'tile blockers are free to remove' one because gently caress researching all the individual tile blocker removers and paying 100/100 per tile. You save a ton of minerals and energy, and its not like early colonies have better things to do while you wait for pops to pop.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Zore posted:

I likw the 'tile blockers are free to remove' one because gently caress researching all the individual tile blocker removers and paying 100/100 per tile. You save a ton of minerals and energy, and its not like early colonies have better things to do while you wait for pops to pop.

While I've advocated for ignoring Mastery of Nature before, in the current game it's already a pretty contentious decision. With the announced changes to colonization coming which may make non-homogenous climates a real thing in your empire (and thus even more tile blocker types to wade through) Mastery of Nature only promises to get even stronger and less ignorable.

So, yeah, getting used to Mastery of Nature as your first pick is a good idea.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

Out of curiosity - of those worlds, how do you decide which ones get put into a sector?

Since sectors mostly have to provide for themselves, I'd start with worlds that are built up enough to generate a decent surplus of energy and minerals.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't know about that... You should really only be clearing tile blockers if the free tiles are full or if one is ontop of a recourse deposit you really want, unless you are colonizing a lot of really small planets or are unlucky enough that you get ones covered in a ton of blockers (and even then you may get lucky and have one or two common types cover most of the tiles). Otherwise you should be spending the time and money on building up the pops you do have and your fleet.

Until the end game, which will come well after your first pick, when you are awash in resources there is no reason you should immediately sink another ~1500 minerals/energy and years of research time into a colony that has a disassembled colony ship and nothing else on it.

Plus, the blocker techs are a cheap way to shuffle the society deck later in the game, and once you start terraforming planets the get all the blockers cleared anyway. You are better off going for a bonus to tech or unity generation to help you keep growing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Axetrain posted:

Most of the time I go for the +10% research one, but sometimes I'll take the border-increase one first. Hell, and one time I was so flooded with planets close to potential enemies' borders, I had to take the +5 core systems one first, just to prevent myself from getting boxed in.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The pick is mastery of nature, and it isn't even really close. It saves you an early fleet's worth of energy and minerals, in addition to saving you a bunch of society research.

I typically do start with efficient bureaucracy. First rush private colony ships, and grab five systems. I switch over to expansion once I have my private colony ships, and work on filling it out. Go for the decreased unity cost per colony first. Once expansion is done, my cap is up to seven systems. Grab mastery of nature, and colonize two more systems.

Now I work on sectorization. All tile blockers get cleared. Once a planet has five people, give it the planetary administration, and build what I want on each and every tile. Once all the buildings are queued up, hand it off a sector. I usually just use one megasector, with redevelopment set to off. I find that research focus is better, because on balanced the sectors will do everything possible to not put workers on unity buildings.

Also, one thing I see people not doing enough is frontier outposts. They influence cap themselves and sit on it. Grab juicy space!

The research bonus ascendancy isn't as good as people think it is. I mean, it isn't bad at all, but it isn't amazing. It is additive, not multiplicative. When you count scientist bonuses, maybe the curator bonus, you are increasing your research rate from something like 140% to 150%. It isn't a multiplicative 10% on top of everything else.

Research isn't even that powerful in this game. You win by having a bigger empire and throwing more minerals at the guy next to you than they can throw at you.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 27, 2017

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The scourge very helpfully invaded my out-of-control rival right as I was going to war with him. He had a really big doomstack, like as big as the combined strength of all my fleets. I never fought my rivals doomstack though, we played cat-and-mouse for a long war and after I peaced out I guess he threw his 150k stack at the scourge. By that time the scourge already had a large foothold, like an eight of the galaxy.

I just need 8 more planets to win domination victory. But the scourge is very much out of control and I can't ignore them anymore. They have at least 10x the fleet strength of the rest of the galaxy combined, it's bad. Problem is my rival has open-borders after a cease-fire; once that expires I can't do anything about the scourge because they are all inside his territory. My rival hates me. A lot. He isn't gonna give open borders, not in a thousand years. So what can I do to stop the scourge? I think I have actually been pushing them back, putting down god knows how many 60k fleets. But if I can't attack the infected planets now then the whole galaxy is hosed.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
There are only two times you shouldn't go for Mastery of Nature: when you're intending to play a terraforming-heavy game (i.e. you picked non-adaptive) and you're able to get away with ignoring blockers on all non-native biomes, and when you've built a science-heavy race and want to compound that advantage. Blockers are such an issue in the most important phase of the game that the pick is almost must-take.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Terraforming heavy games can be fun, and yeah, in a case like that I wouldn't pick mastery of nature. Instead of switching to expansion after private colony ships, I would instead stay in prosperity. Saves you cash early, and you want that cheaper terraforming finisher ASAP.

I find terraforming a less reliable thing to count on though. Sometimes the tech hates you. Sometimes you have a tough time getting your hands on liquids or gasses.

With liquids, gasses, prosperity finisher, and world shaper, turning planets into your preferred type for 850 energy in five years is pretty good though.

I like terraforming the most if I plan to go psionic. Bio can genemod, and with robots I usually go extremely adaptive plus cyborg so I don't have to care.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 27, 2017

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
RE: Civics. I skip Efficient Bureaucracy at the start, and usually pick something else for my second civic. I'm typically rushing the government techs. Instead I pick it up when I get the government reform tech that gives +1 civic options. Until then, I've found it more efficient to grab key territory with outposts instead and build up your core while waiting for the additional civic. Those extra two colonies rarely produce much by that point and are a drag on your tech and tradition growth.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Axetrain posted:

I'm all about Mastery of Nature. It saves me decade(s) of research and thousands of minerals and energy, at a time when they are extremely scarce.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Jenny Angel posted:

Out of curiosity - of those worlds, how do you decide which ones get put into a sector?

I just have a mod to give me infinite planet cap so I don't have to deal with the lovely sector ai :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, Mastery of Nature is absolutely the best first Ascension Perk. Nothing else even comes close.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nalesh posted:

I just have a mod to give me infinite planet cap so I don't have to deal with the lovely sector ai :v:

Doesn't that gently caress your research rate, or does the mod compensate for that?

Also, link it please :v:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, Mastery of Nature is absolutely the best first Ascension Perk. Nothing else even comes close.

Yeah, I find myself pretty consistently going:

Mastery of Nature -> The Flesh is Weak|Mind over Matter|Engineered Evolution -> Interstellar Dominion -> Synthetic Evolution|Transcendence|Evolutionary Mastery (if I even get that far).

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

WampaLord posted:

Doesn't that gently caress your research rate, or does the mod compensate for that?

Also, link it please :v:

No idea if it does or not, it's part of the autobuild mod though there are standalone mods that do it.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691008512

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Sector planets still count towards the research/tradition drag though right?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nickiepoo posted:

Sector planets still count towards the research/tradition drag though right?

Yeah, sectoring has nothing to do with research or unity costs. If your empire owns the planet and those pops, then your stuff is more expensive. The only way to avoid the increase is to use tributaries or vassals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

imo you should just get base stellaris to see if you even like the game and if you do, definitely get utopia and probably leviathan too

the expansions so far make the base game better in every way but you may not like the base game

• Locked thread