Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cis autodrag posted:

*harold reynolds is realistically dumb. he keeps marvelling at my player swinging first pitch despite the fact that the charts show that my player has not seen a single ball so far this season. no poo poo i'm swinging at strikes.

This was the first year they revamped the commentary (for the past several years it had been Vasgersian, Steve Lyons and Eric Karros), and my God are Reynolds and Plesac terrible. It sounds like they spent about three hours in the recording booth, given how much they repeat (Plesac especially).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

whenever I play the Show I play it with the volume real low and usually listen to something else. if I could, I'd only want the sounds up whenever I hit a homer and let the rest just be ambient noise

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Tempted to buy a PS4 just for The Show because Xbone has exactly jack poo poo for baseball games and I've been jonesing pretty hard for one.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tempted to buy a PS4 just for The Show because Xbone has exactly jack poo poo for baseball games and I've been jonesing pretty hard for one.

i bought the ps4 as a nice netflix/prime/hbogo box and bloodborne and the show are just sort of really dope extras.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
N: Javy Baez is good with the glove.

V: Like, really, really good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cis autodrag posted:

*harold reynolds is realistically dumb. he keeps marvelling at my player swinging first pitch despite the fact that the charts show that my player has not seen a single ball so far this season. no poo poo i'm swinging at strikes.

overall this is fun though the clubhouse vignettes are real cliche and it's annoying that jen jenkins has to look like a long legged fat man with a gray afro and yellow beard instead of rosie o'donnell in a league of their own.

If you think that's annoying, then be sure never to play a pitcher. Because every. loving. time. you strike out 5+ in a game, you get a vignette of your pitching coach coming up and complementing your strikout numbers. And every single time you only have the same two options: "Just like you taught me, coach" (:rolleyes:) or "Thanks." By about the 10th game in a row, I was really dying for a "gently caress off, coach" option.

To be fair though the devs have acknowledged that this was their first time trying to put any real life into RTTS, and it's not quite where they want it yet. Apparently it's their biggest priority for The Show 2018, now that they have Diamond Dynasty more or less where they want it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Carlosologist posted:

whenever I play the Show I play it with the volume real low and usually listen to something else. if I could, I'd only want the sounds up whenever I hit a homer and let the rest just be ambient noise

You can do this though? Well I still have chatter from teammates and such (hit me a seed! Do I hear that one wrong?), but other than that it's crowd noise and the crack of the bat. I can look up the actual settings later if you need me to.

Oh I guess I don't have announcers talking when i do hit a homer though if that's what you want.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Intruder posted:

He was way better at football though

Football broke his baseball playing bones

And then some

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

"2/3 of the world is covered by water, the 1/3 by baez". that's pretty good.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm sitting here in Diamond Dynasty right now trying to grind out the Braves team epic to get that Crime Dog '95 flashback and I've got the TV muted and a podcast in my earbuds. I can't stand to hear them say "spin to win" one more time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

someone send fred smoot his residuals

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/120Sports/status/879459768091369472

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Speaking of The Show 17, I couldn't hit for poo poo tonight against the Marlins (admittedly at a higher difficulty). 16 hits, 22 innings. Luis Gonzalez had 2 errors in left and David Wright got gunned down at the plate in the 11th. Finally won in the 22nd on a walk-off single.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
How to enjoy the show:

1.) Turn off the terrible music tracks.
2.) Turn off the commentary.
3.) Get spotify on your phone.
4.) Play spotify on your PS4 by connecting through your phone. Because you're using your phone it just plays in the background and you never have to put the game into suspension or anything.

Now whenever I sit down to play some DD I throw a few albums up on spotify and go. It's the best.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pancakes posted:

Speaking of The Show 17, I couldn't hit for poo poo tonight against the Marlins (admittedly at a higher difficulty). 16 hits, 22 innings. Luis Gonzalez had 2 errors in left and David Wright got gunned down at the plate in the 11th. Finally won in the 22nd on a walk-off single.

I'm just having fun on 16 on my PS3 (because I'm cheap) using my devastating forkball to strike out ALL the motherfuckers.

All of them.

1998 Kerry Wood wishes he was my rtts guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PS3 16, too. I too am cheap and you can get lost of cheap used games playing old gen.

Music off. Commentary up just high enough to hear the praise when I'm doing well. Music playing on the side. Sometimes an actual baseball game on the computer or radio.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I can never deal with commentary in the show. First thing I do with the show is turn off the volume and listen to anything else instead

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The commentary can get a little annoying when it's just the same stuff over and over. Or when they're going through a long routine that you have to wait to end if you want to hear something else (or try and race it). But I enjoy it for my immersion. Sucks me in a little more.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The best part of The Show commentary was if you hit 9 batters in a row, Matt Vasgersian would give up and slam the door to the booth.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Is there a pitching ''Mendoza Line'' ? An era or fip where no matter how many inning a pitcher would pitch in a season as a 5th starter that would not make it worth it?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ScottyJSno posted:

Is there a pitching ''Mendoza Line'' ? An era or fip where no matter how many inning a pitcher would pitch in a season as a 5th starter that would not make it worth it?

There's no colloquially corresponding line as far as I know with pitching, but I'd guess if you consistently pitch a 6+ ERA you're about the same as a useless hitter for a ballpark figure?

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Grittybeard posted:

There's no colloquially corresponding line as far as I know with pitching, but I'd guess if you consistently pitch a 6+ ERA you're about the same as a useless hitter for a ballpark figure?

But lets say that 5+ 6+ era guy has a war at 0 and is guaranteed to pitch 200 innings. Would a team cast him off for a AAA guy?

Where would any of you draw the line?

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 27, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

Personally I'm more a fan of the "everyone was brought together by our mutual hatred of Angel Pagan" theory for why the Giants are garbage now.

"Bobby Evans can't GM for poo poo" is a popular one.

He's gambled a bit, but the only extremely dumb thing he did is let Gregor Blanco walk to get Gorkys in the lineup.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

alpha_destroy posted:

How to enjoy the show:

1.) Turn off the terrible music tracks.
2.) Turn off the commentary.
3.) Get spotify on your phone.
4.) Play spotify on your PS4 by connecting through your phone. Because you're using your phone it just plays in the background and you never have to put the game into suspension or anything.

Now whenever I sit down to play some DD I throw a few albums up on spotify and go. It's the best.

I love the idea of The Show but I couldn't get past the part where I either hit a home run, single or strikeout, as with most games. I guess I could have turned the difficulty up but then I couldn't pitch for poo poo and games ended up as double-digit slugfests.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
I bought The Show (first time) during that recent sale and Diamond Dynasty is the poo poo. Puig was like 80 baseball funbux on the marketplace, the hell's wrong with everybody.

Excited to grind 365,000 for Trout!!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So as we all know the Giants cloned Buster Posey and turned him into a second baseman named Joe Panik. Also Brandon Belt and Brandon Crawford, but I'm not sure what order. (Really Giant super-scientists, same name and everything?)

Thanks to Starlin Castro's pulled hammy, tonight the Yankees will unveil their own cloned infield player in Tyler Wade, who is clearly made from Jacoby Ellsbury's DNA.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

cis autodrag posted:

According to Statcast, his catch in the 8th inning was the most ground covered by a shortstop on a flyout in two years.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

From what I'm reading here, the statistical fidelity of MLB The Show isn't too great?

Are there sliders or something you can adjust to make the games somewhat resemble real MLB play?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I was looking into back to back RoY performances from the same team, didn't think it happened much, but I was wrong.

1992: Eric Karros LAD
1993: Mike Piazza LAD
1994: Raul Mondesi LAD
1995: Hideo Nomo LAD
1996: Todd Hollandsworth LAD

:stare:

Athletics and Dodgers also hit three in a row. Several teams have hit back to back RoY's.

Sasaki and Suzuki were back to back for the Mariners. Totally forgot about Sasaki, he owned.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

MrMojok posted:

From what I'm reading here, the statistical fidelity of MLB The Show isn't too great?

Are there sliders or something you can adjust to make the games somewhat resemble real MLB play?

There are yes. But, on the other hand, statistical fidelity be damned!

I haven't messed with the sliders much, but in my honest opinion, much of the issue is actually the user.

I almost never walk playing franchise or DD. But my RTTS hitter, his walk-rate, while below average, is a respectable 7.7%. My conclusion is most players don't walk cause the are impatient, not cause the game doesn't throw balls. And why shouldn't they swing, swinging is fun. I think this also explains why the game produces fewer doubles, but more home-runs and than expected. Home runs are fun. I swing for the fences all the drat.

Anyway, if you actually do want to adjust sliders for more accurate doubles:triples:homerun ratio, my guess is you would need to drop power slightly and drop fielder speed. Outfielders get to balls down the line pretty quick.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

alpha_destroy posted:

I almost never walk playing franchise or DD. But my RTTS hitter, his walk-rate, while below average, is a respectable 7.7%. My conclusion is most players don't walk cause the are impatient, not cause the game doesn't throw balls. And why shouldn't they swing, swinging is fun. I think this also explains why the game produces fewer doubles, but more home-runs and than expected. Home runs are fun. I swing for the fences all the drat.

CPU pitchers also don't throw many balls until you crank the difficulty up to All-Star or above. On Beginner they're basically throwing BP, and on Rookie/Veteran they'll mix pitch type and location in the zone fairly well, but sparingly throw off the plate.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

CPU pitchers also don't throw many balls until you crank the difficulty up to All-Star or above. On Beginner they're basically throwing BP, and on Rookie/Veteran they'll mix pitch type and location in the zone fairly well, but sparingly throw off the plate.

yeah, this is what I noticed. I'm playing on beginner because, like I said, my last baseball game was on the Sega Genesis and I have genuinely yet to see a ball thrown to my RTTS guy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cis autodrag posted:

yeah, this is what I noticed. I'm playing on beginner because, like I said, my last baseball game was on the Sega Genesis and I have genuinely yet to see a ball thrown to my RTTS guy.

I set everything to Dynamic in 16 and liked it, keeps things easy and hands-off, too.

I'm also 99% sure I have never walked in that game vs CPU in any mode, and almost never even gotten into a 2-ball count.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I was looking into back to back RoY performances from the same team, didn't think it happened much, but I was wrong.

And the Dodgers teams with those players won a sum total of ONE (1) postseason game during their tenure with the club. Even then, it was only Nomo on that team and he was old and had returned after free agency. Also didn't make the postseason roster.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 27, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
This is a good article on the Freeze guy: https://yhoo.it/2sL5pAI

Two things:
1) he runs a 4.28 40
2) he works on the ground crew and has to go from the park to midnight shifts at an Amazon warehouse

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm pitching for a team in a tournament next weekend that apparently features former pro players. I'm going to get absolutely destroyed and then I'm going to plunk whoever is up next because that's how you play the game.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

elentar posted:

Two things:
1) he runs a 4.28 40
2) he works on the ground crew and has to go from the park to midnight shifts at an Amazon warehouse

They were talking about Brewers racing the Freeze the other day, and they said only a couple could go without a headstart against him. That dude is nuts.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

elentar posted:

Two things:
1) he runs a 4.28 40

It is absolutely disgusting that a major league organization does not pay their employees enough to avoid a second job. Giving every single one of their ballpark staff $20/hr wouldn't even hit 1% of the payroll of the 25 guys on the field.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Athletics and Dodgers also hit three in a row. Several teams have hit back to back RoY's.

Sasaki and Suzuki were back to back for the Mariners. Totally forgot about Sasaki, he owned.

The other Dodgers streak was actually 4 in a row. 79-82 with Sutcliffe, Howe, Valenzuela and Sax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cis autodrag posted:

It is absolutely disgusting that a major league organization does not pay their employees enough to avoid a second job. Giving every single one of their ballpark staff $20/hr wouldn't even hit 1% of the payroll of the 25 guys on the field.

That was exactly what I was thinking when I read that. Godammit.

• Locked thread