Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I have an account with Altera, Marie, Liz, and Carmilla on it. I'll trade it for an account with Jeanne. I don't even care what else is on it. I've just been rerolling for almost 24 hours now and I'm growing tired of it.

Done.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

SpaceDrake posted:

Vlad can take a little while to get going because he's got an S growth curve on his level ups (i.e. his first 15 and last 15 levels don't have much stats but in between his levels are loving enormous), but especially since he's got a buff coming down the pipe even for us (and already live in JP), he's a whirlwind of death once he gets going and he can NP a lot easier than other Zerks. I might still use an Imaginary Element on him, though, because Kazilki Bey hits like a fuckin' truck even before his Interlude. Sadly, we don't get any of his Interludes regardless, since they take place in London.

Thanks for the pointers! I appreciate it. It's my first time getting him, never got a good zerker outside Lancelot on JPN and Lance is reliant on crit building so I never had the comp for him.

So far he wrecks everything at level 40.

Doomay
Jan 16, 2008

PureRok posted:

I have an account with Altera, Marie, Liz, and Carmilla on it. I'll trade it for an account with Jeanne. I don't even care what else is on it. I've just been rerolling for almost 24 hours now and I'm growing tired of it.

Just pulled a Jeanne and will trade you if you're still looking! I'm not super familiar with how to trade accounts or anything, I don't have PMs, do you have discord?

E:sent you a PM in discord.

Doomay fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 27, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Martha, Atalanta, double Sumanais and Herc.

4WMvN7r84d

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Doomay posted:

Just pulled a Jeanne and will trade you if you're still looking! I'm not super familiar with how to trade accounts or anything, I don't have PMs, do you have discord?

Go to My Room, scroll down Issue Transfer Number. Create a password. You'll then get a onetime use code you can PM to the other guy (with the password). To activate the code go to 'Data Transfer' on the title screen.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Doomay posted:

E:sent you a PM in discord.

Thanks for Jeanne. I was starting to lose my mind.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I get the feeling I got stupid, stupid lucky with my first haul (no rerolls!) so I'm posting it here so you people who know what you're doing can let me know how to spend my resources/who to use/etc. Thanks!

That is a pretty goddamn nice haul for no rerolls at all, grats.

I would definitely pump some levels into Vlad; once he gets over that initial valley in his leveling, he gains stats at an absurd rate and will be capable of smashing his way through Fuyuki and Orleans. A bit of a shame you got no supports at all, but you can keep him healed with the initial outfit and defended with Mash at least.

Limited/Zero Over is probably better used on Emiya, though (surprise). It'll make his NP stupidly more powerful and he can generate NP bar for it just fine on his own. Vlad would get more mileage out of your Imaginary Element, since he could get to his NP faster for blowing up big targets.

So I would focus your leveling on Vlad and Emiya, and CE experience on L/ZO and Imaginary Element. Get some EXP in Marie and Cu, too, they can do some work, especially if you just want to stall out the enemy forever (although Marie struggles to truly tank as she can't redirect aggro to herself natively).

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Thanks for the pointers! I appreciate it. It's my first time getting him, never got a good zerker outside Lancelot on JPN and Lance is reliant on crit building so I never had the comp for him.

So far he wrecks everything at level 40.

Yeah, I'm sort of weirdly excited to try Vlad for myself in NA, since I never had him at all in Japan. He's done well for himself so far.

Holy hell I forgot how hard the Hand quests are when you don't have any of the big fat waveclear options Japan has though. Santa Alter & JDASL have left me spoiled rotten.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm assuming buffs don't stack?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

SpaceDrake posted:

Good stuff
Thanks a ton!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tae posted:

Buffs hella stack.

I've been ripping through the hardest difficult raid encounters in the current JPN event with Raiko and double Merlin (one from support) at max skills and it's hilarious to just pile on the buffs and regen. Short of a fluke round where the boss just whacks the same person three times along with a crit, the regen from multiple Merlin NPs just fully heals them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Buffs absolutely stack

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

As a Fire Emblem fan, it is seriously hosed up that sabers beat lancers

I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps loving this up.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Tae posted:

There is, technically, a buff limit, but it extends well beyond what the game can usually display.

Stack those buffs. Make things explode.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I have rolled every single available 5* at this point.

Except Waver.

The game mocks me.

Who wants an account with Jeanne, Emiya and Atalanta? If possible I'd like to trade for a Waver account.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
why reroll for anyone at all when you get mash for free

mash is a good girl.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there a gameplay reason to hold out for a non-waifu/husbando character? It seems like with the way the support system works you could just friend someone with Waver/Jeanne if you really needed them for an event, no?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pureauthor posted:

Except Waver.

The game mocks me.

Who wants an account with Jeanne, Emiya and Atalanta? If possible I'd like to trade for a Waver account.

I'd take that account, but I don't have anything to give you in return.

Vengarr posted:

Is there a gameplay reason to hold out for a non-waifu/husbando character? It seems like with the way the support system works you could just friend someone with Waver/Jeanne if you really needed them for an event, no?

What shows up in your support list isn't always the most consistent. Nothing stops you from updating or loving around until the right person shows up though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vengarr posted:

Yes, there's no real reason to not hold out for your waifus and husbandos unless you just want your own broken servants since you can only have one support servant on your team.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There seems to be some confusion, so here's all the ways you can improve your servants.

1. Level To raise a servant's level, you need xp cards, aka embers, I think? They're randomly dropped by story quests, you get small ones from the friend point gacha, you can buy them with mana prisms (the green cubes, not mana quartz, which you use to summon), and there are daily quests which will give xp cards for different classes every day. Note that while you can only get the mana prism reward from the daily quest once a day, you can run those quests as much as you want to gather xp cards.

You feed these to your servants in the top option in the strengthening menu. Note that you can also feed them other servants for xp, but they don't give very much so it's not really worth it. You can use them for other stuff later.

There are class based xp cards and classless xp cards. You can use any cards for any class, but you get a bonus for using the right ones. It's a good idea to make use of this and give nonstandard classes like Shielder, Ruler, and Avenger priority on the classless cards.

Raising your servants level will increase its hp and attack. Rarer servants naturally have higher levels for this, but they're also usually harder to level. Servants level in different rates and growth patterns depending on the servant. But in general, it's a lot easier at early levels. You can get a servant up to 20-30 really quickly, but starting around level 50 it gets really slow.

Servants have level caps based on rarity. Rarer servants have higher level caps. You can increase the cap with...

2. Ascension By giving a servant some items/crafting materials, you can ascend them to their next form. Ascending will unlock new skills, raise the level cap by 10, and (often) change the servants appearance. Some servants strip, others put on more layers.

Every servant can ascend four times. The final ascension will unlock a fancy new portrait for them.

Since common servants have lower level caps, they have some advantage in that you can unlock their skills quickly. Rare servants may be stronger, but you'll only have their first skill or two for quite a while.

You ascend using the fourth option in the strengthening menu.

You can get the items needed for ascension through event stores, story missions, and the second set of daily missions. However, be careful how you use them, because they're also used by...

3. Skill strengthening Every servant has three usable skills in battle. They start at level one, and can be leveled up to 10. These use many of the same items/materials as ascension. They start fairly cheap, but upgrading a skill to its highest levels requires a ton of rare resources.

In particular, upgrading skills is the biggest eater of QP, which is the generic currency. You get it from doing everything, and there's a set of dailies to get it specifically.

Everything uses it, but the higher levels of skill upgrades devour it at huge rates. You'll probably completely ignore QP until you go to level up your first skill to max, and then go bankrupt partway through.

You upgrade skills using the second option in the strengthening menu.

4. Grails If you love your waifu so much and shower her with gifts, sooner or later they will hit the max level of their final ascension. But don't give up! You can keep leveling them up by feeding them holy grails!

Whenever you clear a story chapter or an event, you will usually receive a holy grail item. By using the last option on the strengthening menu, you can give a servant one of these grails to raise their max level by 5, up to a max of 100 (IIRC, its been a while)

The general consensus is that it's not a big enough boost to stress over gameplay wise. Give grails to the servants you like the most and use the most and don't worry about if they're good or not.

5. NP upgrade By having a servant cannibalize another copy of the same servant, you can upgrade their noble phantasm, up to a maximum of level 5.

By upgrading, it not only increases on power, it also increases your maximum charge, up to 300% at level 5.

You do this in the 5th option on the strengthening screen. Not the first, where you can eat other servants for xp. There's no cannibalism allowed there, and only cannibalism allowed in the 5th option.

This is one mechanic that gives common servants an advantage. It's quite possible to upgrade the NPs of servants up to 3 stars, but if you have fully upgraded a 5 star servant you have probably spent too much money on this game.

6. Fou cards Using the same interface as feeding servants xp, you can also feed them Fou, the mascot squirrel(?). Fou cards will give a tiny bump in stats, up to a maximum of 1-2k. You get Fous through the friend gacha, events, and buy them with mana prisms.

7. Bond At the end of battle you'll get a screen of all your servants gaining a few hundred points of something and filling in some star-shaped gauges. This is bond. Bond is how much your servant likes you. It used to go up to 5, but now it goes up to 10 (unless they haven't implemented this yet in the English version?). 1-5 is comparatively easy, 5-10 is super slow.

Bond itself doesn't affect anything, but as it goes up it unlocks other stuff. At each level 1-5 you get a new voice line with the servant in your room, and a new piece of text in their profile, for instance. And at level 10 you're given a piece of servant-specific equipment that boosts the abilities of your whole party.

It's also a requirement for unlocking...

8. Interludes and Strengthening Quests These are unlocked by a combination of story progression, bond level, and ascension.

Basically, you get a few scenes with your servant and accompanying fights. At the end of them, you'll get the last chunk of text in the servants profile, and sometimes (depending on the servant) earn an upgrade to one of their skills or their NP.

*This is based on the JP version so some stuff might be different for the English release.

**Mash is a special case. Her bond and ascension rise automatically as you progress through the story, and she gains some upgrades too. You can still level her up, upgrade skills, and feed her Fous normally, though.

***This only covers servants. There's also master level, Mystic code (aka the MC's clothes) level, new mystic codes you can get for them, Craft Essences/equipment, leveling up CEs, ascending CEs, etc.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Argas posted:

What shows up in your support list isn't always the most consistent. Nothing stops you from updating or loving around until the right person shows up though.

I thought people on your friends list always show? I've been driving SpaceDrake's Vlad3 around Fuyuki like I just robbed a liquor store.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vengarr posted:

I thought people on your friends list always show? I've been driving SpaceDrake's Vlad3 around Fuyuki like I just robbed a liquor store.

Just drawing on my experience from the JPN version and it may be because I'm almost capped on friends there.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Vengarr posted:

People on your friendlist will fall off after they haven't played for a little while. I've never wholly understood how the algorithm works, but when I log off he'll disappear for a while until I get back on.

Also I now have this image of Vlad driving Gudako and Mash around in a convertible, wearing some shades, with tons of booze in the back, and I wish I had the artistic skill to actually depict it.

Pureauthor posted:

Except Waver.

The game mocks me.

Honestly that's a little tempting (I could just get Herc via the free 4*), but I am liking my Vlad/Waver tag team so far. Hopefully Waver can come home to you eventually!

--

Also, to add to a few of Baka's notes:

Interludes are tied to specific singularities, and some of our current Servants don't have theirs available yet. Vlad, for example, has all his interludes in London (quelle surprise), and they're really great but they aren't available right now.

Mash is going to be kind of mediocre for a long time... until the Sixth Singularity, where she suddenly gets a ton of power for Reasons, and she catapults from poor to literally Waver-tier, where she remains today. So if she feels not great right now, don't worry, she gets way better but it takes time.

As far as Levels go, one of the hidden stats for each Servant is their growth curve, which dictates how many stats they get per level. These are Linear, S, Reverse S, Semi-S, and Semi-Reverse S. Linear is what it sounds like, S has stats weighted heavily toward the middle of their leveling (so poor stats from 1-10 and, say, 70-80 or 75-90 but absolutely absurd levels around 40 or 50 depending on rarity), Reverse S is of course the reverse, and Semi is a less severe version of either.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Pureauthor posted:

Except Waver.

The game mocks me.

Sent you a pm with the info.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
So does positioning matter at all or can I just shove anyone to the front?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So, something I don't get about the Prologue chapter.

So, it's a bad end of Heaven's Feel, except for one thing. Cu is the Caster instead of Medea. ...So who the hell is Lancer in that grail war? Anyone recognize that silhouette?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So, something I don't get about the Prologue chapter.

So, it's a bad end of Heaven's Feel, except for one thing. Cu is the Caster instead of Medea. ...So who the hell is Lancer in that grail war? Anyone recognize that silhouette?

That's Benkei, he's a 2* Lancer you can get from the FP gacha

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
So I rolled two Wavers in the introductory pulls and everyone seems to be on his nuts but I'm feeling like I'm trying to level as a healer in an mmo. The only 4* I have is getting two archer Emiyas and the free Saber. Is this going to be grueling until like 50 hours of farming? Because if so I'd rather know and uninstall right now.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
/\
I wouldn't say like 40-50 hours of farming, but waver does shine a lot more after he's leveled.

The reason waver is amazing is he pumps out sick amounts of NP gauge to your party. All three of his skills grant NP, as a caster he has three arts cards, as well as his NP. While his NP doesn't do damage, it's also great as a support, both stunning enemies and reducing their NP charge, as well as reducing their defense, meaning your other servants do more damage.

Let me put it this way: I don't have Waver on my JP account, but I'm pretty sure I've picked him as a support more than any other servant.

What's more, he works well with Emiya, who also has three arts cards. Put them together and you'll be able to spam UBW over and over. And since you drew two Emiyas you can level UBW up to be extra effective.

Seriously, that's a great core for an Arts team right there. Find a friend with a servant with a powerful NP, pair them with waver and emiya, and spam NPs forever.

Marogareh posted:

So does positioning matter at all or can I just shove anyone to the front?

As far as I know positioning means diddly squat.

At least for the front three servants. The back three enter the battle from left to right.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 27, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Vhak lord of hate posted:

So I rolled two Wavers in the introductory pulls and everyone seems to be on his nuts but I'm feeling like I'm trying to level as a healer in an mmo. The only 4* I have is getting two archer Emiyas and the free Saber. Is this going to be grueling until like 50 hours of farming? Because if so I'd rather know and uninstall right now.

He unfortunately takes a little while to get going, but in high end content he remains one of the very best supports in the game, even in Japan today.

You'd need to level him a bit, but even after his first ascension you'll notice him get more useful because he'd have his defense buff which blocks a lot of damage, even at rank 1. But yeah, his raw damage will never be great - in general NA doesn't have any of the kill-heavy Casters just yet. (You've still got Emiya and Saber Lily, though, and they've got plenty of kill power by themselves.)

Still, if you end up disliking the game, make sure you get a bind code so that some other Goon can make use of that account, I'm sure some folks here would love it.

Also remember that you get leveling cards from Chaldea game Ember quests, you don't get normal EXP just from fighting.

Bakanogami posted:

As far as I know positioning means diddly squat.

At least for the front three servants. The back three enter the battle from left to right.

This is 100% correct. Lineup up front doesn't really mean anything.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You cannot see me but I assure you my eye is twitching in annoyance.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
is there a resource on team building? like "hey if you got this unit use these units with these skills to make the most of it" or just like popular team combos or something

there seems to be a lot of units, lots of skills, lots of CEs and its kinda hard for a complete newbie to keep track of what they should be working towards

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MotU posted:

is there a resource on team building? like "hey if you got this unit use these units with these skills to make the most of it" or just like popular team combos or something

there seems to be a lot of units, lots of skills, lots of CEs and its kinda hard for a complete newbie to keep track of what they should be working towards

I'm not really enough at it to make a guide myself, but in general just try to find synergy. Look at the card makeup, the skills, and the NPs. A very simple team makeup might just try to get 3+ servants who all have a lot of one type of cards. So if you have a team with a lot of buster cards, spam buster combos and do a ton of damage every turn. If you have a bunch of arts cards, spam NPs instead of holding them for the last wave. If you have a lot of quick cards, find servants or CEs that attract stars or increase critical damage.

In general though, it's kind of hard to recommend specific teams because everyone probably has a different roster.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Pureauthor posted:

You cannot see me but I assure you my eye is twitching in annoyance.

Treasures are wasted on the unappreciative, I have a 2x formal craft on Waver which I assume is a good craft and I can't really see much of an improvement

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
This game is very supportive of waifu teams

My JP current team, for reference

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can I have a team of only cuculains

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tired Moritz posted:

Yes but fair warning two of those Cus are gonna be women and one is going to be a dinosaur

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Treasures are wasted on the unappreciative, I have a 2x formal craft on Waver which I assume is a good craft and I can't really see much of an improvement

It needs to be driven home: Waver isn't a damage-dealer. He exists to make other people live longer and hit harder.

This makes him a bit of a poor choice for the early game, since it's a bit more efficient to just blow things up. For later content, he is incredibly useful, however.

You can kind of leave him aside for now and focus on Emiya, Saber Lily, and anyone else you get from the FP gacha and whatnot.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

There are four Cus. Normal Lancer Cu, Caster Cu, Cu Alter, and Proto Cu. There are also two versions of Scathach, who is not Cu but taught him and also uses Gae Bolg.

I think the servant with most versions is still Arturia/Saber, who has normal, alter, Santa, lancer, lancer alter, beach archer, mysterious heroine x, and MHX alter versions. She has every class except caster now!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Bakanogami posted:

I think the servant with most versions is still Arturia/Saber, who has normal, alter, Santa, lancer, lancer alter, beach archer, mysterious heroine x, and MHX alter versions. She has every class except caster now!

Yup, and people are anticipating they'll give in to Kawakami's voracious desire for more Artoria and do either a joke Caster for Christmas or they'll finally do Morgan (which could own).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Just installed the English version and am currently going through the tutorial. I reached the point where the game let me do a free pull.

I got a 3* Alexander and a 4* Siegfried. Everything else was a Craft Essence, with the highest tier one being a Noble Banquet.

Is this a good pull? I'm not necessarily opposed to rerolling.