Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

The Bloop posted:

Ensign Ro: *is angry at everyone*

she was the only good bajoran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Ensign Ro: *is angry at everyone*

What's interesting is in that episode where they all lose their memories and Ro and Riker bang, she's way less angry. Kind of a subtle way of selling that "Hey, we're all good people deep down" message, it's only her past and her trauma that made her angry, nothing inherent to her as a person.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I can only assume the CBS PR machine is putting out this "interpersonal conflict, OOOOH!" story, but I'm puzzled as to who it's supposed to impress. To anyone who doesn't know much about Trek, that sounds like a big "Who cares? All TV shows have that." And anyone who's watched anything other than TNG seasons 1-3 (or to a lesser extent Voyager) knows that Trek already ditched "Gene's vision" a long time ago.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

I can only assume the CBS PR machine is putting out this "interpersonal conflict, OOOOH!" story, but I'm puzzled as to who it's supposed to impress. To anyone who doesn't know much about Trek, that sounds like a big "Who cares? All TV shows have that." And anyone who's watched anything other than TNG seasons 1-3 (or to a lesser extent Voyager) knows that Trek already ditched "Gene's vision" a long time ago.

Spot on. Also, I love your av, I went to UCF and remember seeing those commercials all the time freshman year.

It's wacky nunu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgxcYz5cLN8

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

What's interesting is in that episode where they all lose their memories and Ro and Riker bang, she's way less angry. Kind of a subtle way of selling that "Hey, we're all good people deep down" message, it's only her past and her trauma that made her angry, nothing inherent to her as a person.

Agree 100%
An unusually subtle bit of writing

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

I can only assume the CBS PR machine is putting out this "interpersonal conflict, OOOOH!" story

Yeah, they used EW as their damage control mouthpiece last week.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

More from EW:

quote:

Showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg don’t want to give away too much of the plot. The CBS All Access drama is heavily serialized with plenty of twists and turns — particularly in the first few episodes — which makes the storyline difficult to discuss.

But here’s some new intel the duo are ready to reveal about the series, which stars Sonequa Martin-Green as a Starfleet First Officer who was the first human to attend the Vulcan Science Academy.

“Burnham [has] spent a lot of time on Vulcan, but she’s human,” Harberts says. “Sarek [Spock’s father, played by James Frain] plays an important role in her life, which has been completely planned until she makes a very difficult choice that sends her life on a very different path. When we meet her, she’s the First Officer on the Starship Shenzhou [captained by Philippa Georgiou, played by Michelle Yeoh]. And Burnham’s choice that we’re alluding to is most difficult choice you can make — it affects her, affects Starfleet, affects the Federation, it affects the entire universe. That choice leads her to a different ship, the Discovery [helmed by Captain Lorca, played by Jason Isaacs] and there we begin what Gretchen and I call our ‘second pilot.'”

Burham is, of course, the first Trek lead who is not a captain,* so we asked the showrunners what that choice adds to the drama.

“The joy is in the journey,” Berg replied. “The advantage to her not being in charge of the bridge right now is we get to tell stories from a very different point of view. It’s a fresh feeling because we’re not on the bridge all the time. We get access to more parts of the ship.”

Also, the Klingons are heavily involved in the season … and they’re not very friendly.

In addition, we asked the producers which Trek series or film has the biggest influence on the new series.

“There’s a hint of all of them, but in the writers’ room people are so in love with The Original Series and Next Generation, and they talk about the family aspect of those cast members,” Berg said.

Added Harberts: “I think Nicholas Myers’ film are a touchstone, and not just because he’s been on staff with us. His storytelling is complex and intellectual and yet there’s a lot of room for character voices and character work, he’s done such an incredible job with the franchise. In terms of scope and scale, there’s something about Star Trek: The Motion Picture that really speaks to us as well. CBS has allowed us to find a cinematic language that’s wider in scope — our aspect ratio is 2:1 — and it just lends itself to a very lyrical way of telling the story. And just visually speaking, there’s also a little hint in terms of what J.J. Abrams did, a little bit, in terms of some of the visuals.”

Not in charge of the bridge "right now."

DEAD CAPTAIN WALKING

Edit: Lawl at "Nicholas Myers' film." Proofreading, motherfuckers, have you tried it?

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 26, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Timby posted:

More from EW:

DEAD CAPTAIN WALKING

2 episodes tops.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WampaLord posted:

2 episodes tops.

Timby posted:

I'm still pretty sure this is how the pilot's going to go, and the trailer only further reinforces it:

- Burnham is first officer on the Shenzhou under Michelle Yeoh's captain
- Yeoh tells her she's ready to spread her wings, and has her reassigned to Discovery, the newest ship in the fleet, under Captain Lorca
- Lorca bites it in the pilot episode and Burnham is thrust into the captain's chair
- Throughout the season the Shenzhou checks in on / babysits Discovery (since Yeoh's role is said to be recurring, not starring)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Isaacs is listed as 15 episodes on IMDB but yeah I seriously doubt it. We'll see, I guess. Maybe that's the first season plan.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Maybe he will recur as a force ghost

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bloop posted:

Isaacs is listed as 15 episodes on IMDB but yeah I seriously doubt it.

IMDB listings can be edited by a random monkey on acid, so I'd never take them as gospel truth. For a while, Beyond had Shatner, Cumberbatch, Greenwood and Bana all listed as cast members, just because some yahoo was spitballing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

IMDB listings can be edited by a random monkey on acid, so I'd never take them as gospel truth. For a while, Beyond had Shatner, Cumberbatch, Greenwood and Bana all listed as cast members, just because some yahoo was spitballing.

The only reason it even appears to mean anything as they have other actors like Mudd's for different numbers of episodes.

But yeah, it could be complete nonsense or even intentional misinformation.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm interested in the 2:1 aspect ratio. That's a weird choice, I'm guessing a compromise between the usual TV 16:9 and the 2.35:1 of some more "epic" films.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Zesty posted:

Unlike Discovery, it was inspired by Star Trek.

This should be the thread title for the Orville thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hipster_Doofus posted:

This should be the thread title for the Orville thread.

I should probably get around to making a thread for the Orville.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I'm interested in the 2:1 aspect ratio. That's a weird choice, I'm guessing a compromise between the usual TV 16:9 and the 2.35:1 of some more "epic" films.

I'm pretty sure House of Cards shoots in 18:9. It's definitely a left-field decision.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This bloody big?

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Timby posted:

More from EW:

DEAD CAPTAIN WALKING

Edit: Lawl at "Nicholas Myers' film." Proofreading, motherfuckers, have you tried it?

That * footnote better drat well be an acknowledgement of Benjamin Lafayette Sisko. Commander -> Captain is not an amazing new concept we've never seen in Trek before. :cmon:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

What bothers me is that's clearly come from people who haven't really seen the show because there was always conflict. And also, tons of people are reading it that 'everyone will hate everyone else'. :wtc:

As long as it isn't like the modern muppet remake where they turned all the muppets into assholes for sitcom drama.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Pieces of Peace posted:

That * footnote better drat well be an acknowledgement of Benjamin Lafayette Sisko. Commander -> Captain is not an amazing new concept we've never seen in Trek before. :cmon:

Still the commanding officer. The number of pips on his neck hardly mattered.

Of course, if Michael is in the captains seat by episode 3, her not starting there won't matter much either...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tunicate posted:

As long as it isn't like the modern muppet remake where they turned all the muppets into assholes for sitcom drama.

The Muppets was great.

Muppets Most Wanted was one of the most miserable times I've ever had in a theater and I'd rather sit through Sub Rosa, Threshold, These Are the Voyages..., Profit and Lace and Nemesis, nonstop, than see that pile of poo poo again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

The Muppets was great.

It was good. I haven't seen any of the "modern" Muppet movies. I love love love the Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper, Christmas Carol, and Treasure Island. All the newer movies just looked ehhh and I never watched them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Timby posted:

The Muppets was great.

Muppets Most Wanted was one of the most miserable times I've ever had in a theater and I'd rather sit through Sub Rosa, Threshold, These Are the Voyages..., Profit and Lace and Nemesis, nonstop, than see that pile of poo poo again.

I'm talking about the new show, not the new film just to be clear

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When asked which treks the writers were most influenced by they checked with marketing who told them Classic and TNG have the biggest and broadest brand recognition.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Bloop posted:

It was good. I haven't seen any of the "modern" Muppet movies. I love love love the Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper, Christmas Carol, and Treasure Island. All the newer movies just looked ehhh and I never watched them.

It's not necessarily good, but I love Muppets from Space.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

When asked which treks the writers were most influenced by they checked with marketing who told them Classic and TNG have the biggest and broadest brand recognition.

Well, it's an incredibly silly question because who's going to name check Ent, Voy, or the TNG movies? Fuller might have brought up DS9 though. Sigh.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Orv posted:

It's not necessarily good, but I love Muppets from Space.

Muppets From Space is the most 90s poo poo imaginable, even more 90s than the Voyager episode where they go to the 90s.

Orv
May 4, 2011

skasion posted:

Muppets From Space is the most 90s poo poo imaginable, even more 90s than the Voyager episode where they go to the 90s.

God yeah it is. :allears:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

But is it as 90s as the Voyager episode where they encounter Jason Alexander's roving team of super-consultants?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I mean even watch classics like Balance of Terror from TOS. The navigator phaser officer? really has a lot of suspicion about Spock and wasn't afraid to voice it. I think a better interpretation of the "no interpersonal conflict" thing is that people should argue in good faith and be willing to be shown wrong and change their minds, not that there is never any disagreement in the first place. The former is at least within the realm of idealistic imagination, and something we can and should all work toward, whereas the latter sounds like, well, the Borg.

It was the navigator who had the massive grudge against sharp-ears. The phaser officer was the guy who was about to get married in the teaser, and then got killed by the phaser coolant leak.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Bloop posted:

A bunch of clickbaity articles this morning about how Discovery is going against Gene's vision because there will be :siren:interpersonal conflict:siren: between Starfleet officers

Well its about time a Star Trek did that
-Rick Berman

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

wtf is this list, how can you even list Muppet movies without The Muppets Take Manhattan?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

wtf is this list, how can you even list Muppet movies without The Muppets Take Manhattan?

Because there's absolutely no reason to mention that in the Star Trek thread. :mad:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Honestly I don't remember it well. Only saw it once when it was new. Didn't care for it as much when I saw it but I may not have been old enough to appreciate it or something.

I should watch it again if thread goons recommend it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I dont know about goons, but I myself recommend it. It's my favorite of all of them.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's genuinely good. Granted I don't know how well it holds up, it's been a while and a half.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
https://twitter.com/ksheely/status/879590926443728896

https://twitter.com/ksheely/status/879591348147322880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PICTURED: Goons from the TVIV on the night of Discovery's premiere