Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Guy Mann posted:

Inversely, if any work was actually done in the dark period before they gave Lynch full control I really hope that let it go once the series is over just so we can see how big a bullet we dodged.

It's an adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower, only with James as Roland and Windom Earle as the Man in Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I have this friend who's kind of crazy, who is unspoiled and working through the show and currently at s2e17, and he just....out of NOWHERE started talking about nuclear bombs.

He posted a picture of a mushroom cloud in Skype, and I was confused and wondering if he'd googled Twin Peaks and gotten spoiled. I ask why he posted it, and he merely said
"so is BOB a Surinam toad."

"??? Why did you post the bomb."'

"isn't it obvious? Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. it's a little jumbled and jivey, but I might point out the first H-bomb test was codenamed Ivy MIKE. you expect me, the weapons fetishist, not to know my bombs? and how bob (Robert)'s name was chosen probably as a reference to Robert (j. oppenheimer)? plus BOB sounds so innocuous and goofy"

He's Quoting "Mairzy Doats," that song possessed Leland sings that makes the Horne brothers start dancing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62P6Gm9jpE
:aaa: Okay okay. Is this a coincidence? Is this just my friend reaching with no real info and getting VERY close to the truth, or did he just blow open a new theory?

So I say, "What? Start over."
"BOB, the evil spirit, puts letters under dead peoples fingernails. those are in the process of spelling "Robert, or Robertson, indicating Leland, son of robert. Bob is short for Robert. Robert is the first name of oppenheimer, the famous nuclear scientist and "I am become death" quoter. going with the nuke theme, MIKE's name must be from IVY MIKE, the first H-Bomb. its exemplar as a triumph of hate as well as an antithesis of that naturalistic woodsy vibe twin peaks works on."

Then he started to talk about how cool he thinks nukes are, and I tried saying that nukes are Bad, on a fundamental and spiritual level. But I can hardly wait for him to catch up and see this past episode.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Now that is a hot take I like

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
tfw coffee & cherry pie normies get Lynched :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
He's gone to bed but tomorrow I'll remember to ask him what the hell he meant about the frog.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Then he started to talk about how cool he thinks nukes are, and I tried saying that nukes are Bad, on a fundamental and spiritual level. But I can hardly wait for him to catch up and see this past episode.

Something tells me this episode's not gonna change his mind!

edit: If he starts asking you afterward if you've got a light, I'd say to block him, but by then it's too late for you :unsmigghh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

He's gone to bed but tomorrow I'll remember to ask him what the hell he meant about the frog.

I assume he meant Suriname toad, which is a species native to parts of South America and known for its extremely flattened appearance.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
OK, I love this show but this episode annoyed the poo poo out of me. Instead of any kind of storyline progression, we got... whatever the hell that was. I mean, couldn't they have split that up over several episodes? And since there's no episode next week, it's going to be at least three weeks between storyline progress. I say "at least" because who knows if the next episode will be more of the same?

Hated it. Ugh.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Doug Egg??

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

...! posted:

OK, I love this show but this episode annoyed the poo poo out of me. Instead of any kind of storyline progression, we got... whatever the hell that was. I mean, couldn't they have split that up over several episodes? And since there's no episode next week, it's going to be at least three weeks between storyline progress. I say "at least" because who knows if the next episode will be more of the same?

Hated it. Ugh.

Source your quotes

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The only disappointment in that episode is that it was Laura Palmer and not Wally Brennan inside the godball.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

BO(m)B

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV__rAkPqvA
I have no idea what he means either. Part of me thinks he is spoiled and loving with you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I knew someone was gonna post a video of that gross-rear end thing as soon as it got mentioned. While it may have been creepy beyond belief, I am glad the frogroach did not do that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Finally caught the latest episode and I'm pretty sure that was the loving coolest rendering of an atomic bomb I've ever seen. I'm an absolute sucker for long cuts and that one was intense. Can anyone match or surpass that?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 27, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I would like to thank everyone for not owning me for being wrong about nuclear explosions earlier. All these videos I found definitely had fire in the mushroom cap part.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Krinkle posted:

I would like to thank everyone for not owning me for being wrong about nuclear explosions earlier. All these videos I found definitely had fire in the mushroom cap part.

the owning starts now

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
So this entire episode was Secret History of Twin Peaks tie-ins via Doug Milford and eventually his successor Garland Briggs?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i found this on the interbet

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the dark hobos remind me of the shadows in deadly premonition

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kurtofan posted:

the dark hobos remind me of the shadows in deadly premonition

"Kill Meeeee"
"Don't want to diiiiiiieee"
"Got a liiiiiiight?"

Lanz
May 30, 2013

And More posted:

"Kill Meeeee"
"Don't want to diiiiiiieee"
"Got a liiiiiiight?"

Well Zach, looks like we've got another strange one on our hands...

Lanz
May 30, 2013
Twin Peaks/Deadly Premonition crossover.

With York played by Ben Savage

stanovich
Feb 9, 2015
The biggest disappointment of this season is that people have suddenly decided to change the name of The Roadhouse to The Bang Bang Bar.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Sooo, what I manage to get from last episode:

- a nuclear blast (probably a test?) brought Bob in to this world

- to balance it, or to fight it, or something, the Giant creates Laura and sends her into this world

Heck if I know what to think of anything else

edit: vvvv yeah, the sign is the same from S1

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 27, 2017

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

stanovich posted:

The biggest disappointment of this season is that people have suddenly decided to change the name of The Roadhouse to The Bang Bang Bar.

Wasn't it always called that on the sign? I think it's one of those things where it has an official name and everybody calls it something different that is cooler.

stanovich
Feb 9, 2015

Slum Village posted:

Wasn't it always called that on the sign? I think it's one of those things where it has an official name and everybody calls it something different that is cooler.

IMO, the sign says "The Bar" and there's also a gun with an animated Bang coming out of it. Nobody on the show has ever uttered the phrase "Bang Bang Bar," and that hasn't shown up in the books, let alone any of the TV or film scripts. The building itself seems like it's obviously more than just a bar. It's two stories tall (plus an attic) and looks to be way larger than just the area we see in the show.

stanovich fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 27, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"The Bar" is not the dumbest name for a bar I've ever heard but it's up there.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know, something I am realizing is that, uhh...\

Go back and watch the scene from episode 3 where Dougie blows up. It should look pretty familiar after episode 8, at least several of the "elements" that Dougie appeared to be composed of seemed reminiscent of things that we saw in episode 8.

The gold orbs, for example - we saw an one instance of a (large) gold orb representing Laura Palmer, and we saw a black orb representing Bob. We also a creature with what appeared to be a face consisting largely of one mouth vomiting a stream of stuff - both in episode 8, and in the scene where Dougie explodes. think in the scene where Dougie exploded, it was a black orb (like the one with Bob's face on it that we saw birthed from the vomit stream and coming out of DoppleCoop). Is Bob the only one who gets a Black Sphere? Can he create other Black sphere entities, and is that was Dougie Jones was? But Dougie Jones seemed to consist both of a hosed up black sphere/black thing that appeared to have a serious power charge behind it when it exploded (atomically? Mike did cover his eyes and seemed scared on a plane of reality where one ought not show fear). And it also consisted of the Gold Sphere, which seemed large at first, and then turned into a physically small size.

After this episode, I am believing more and more that Dougie-Cooper needs that Gold Sphere - or perhaps one very very similar to it - in order to wake up? It seems like golden/black spheres represent souls with inherently positive or negative charges... Perhaps like an atom is positively or negatively charged, who knows?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

stanovich posted:

IMO, the sign says "The Bar" and there's also a gun with an animated Bang coming out of it. Nobody on the show has ever uttered the phrase "Bang Bang Bar," and that hasn't shown up in the books, let alone any of the TV or film scripts. The building itself seems like it's obviously more than just a bar. It's two stories tall (plus an attic) and looks to be way larger than just the area we see in the show.

I definitely always thought the actual name was supposed to be The Bang Bang Bar.

Sure, I don't remember if characters ever actually called it that in the old seasons, but I wouldn't say the sign is exactly ambiguous.

stanovich
Feb 9, 2015

Data Graham posted:

"The Bar" is not the dumbest name for a bar I've ever heard but it's up there.

The place already has a name, The Roadhouse. Why bother giving the bar at The Roadhouse it's own name?

E: Also, Why wouldn't the guy introducing Nine Inch Nails at the venue say Bang Bang Bar if that's what the place is actually called?

stanovich fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 27, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It always had that sign and it was always called the Roadhouse

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGukDjnhcc

It's always been The Bang Bang Bar on the sign.

stanovich
Feb 9, 2015

egon_beeblebrox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGukDjnhcc

It's always been The Bang Bang Bar on the sign.

Interesting how the sign in the movie doesn't have the alternating Bang's, as opposed to the show.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

TheMaestroso posted:

IT SURE DOES

I keep expecting Dougie Milford to play an important role in all this, and now that we're doing flashback episodes I half expect Nixon to show up.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think the gold orb is necessarily Laura Palmer, "real person", but more likely the Laura we see this season in the lodge/waiting room. The one TMFAP calls his cousin in the original series and remarks how much she looks like Laura. The one that says sometimes her arms bend back. The one who removes her face to reveal a pure white light to Cooper.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Is the pale monster thing that created bomb the same thing that appeared in new york?

Kurtofan posted:

i found this on the interbet

I have a sneaking suspicion that the log lady's dead husband who was also abducted (died in a fire?) on their wedding night is part of this group of 8 soot ghosts or is the Woodsman (think he was a lumberjack?).

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
this last episode is exactly what I signed up for

also for this:

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
This ep was good and nuclear test sequence owned but holy poo poo idk if I'll ever be able to not tune out every musical guest scene in this season

The only band scenes I remember from the original is like Julee Cruise maybe? But I seem to remember most of those scenes mostly being background for the characters that were actually in the bar interacting. Am I going just blocking out a bunch of these scenes or are the cuts to a musical guests just a thing on the new show?

I guess I tend to give Lynch the benefit of the doubt that he's just loving with the audience or fans of the original in some way here because the only one of these scenes this season with actual characters at the bar that I remember is when we get that hilarious line about James still being cool, but man I find these scenes really jarring and cringey after dealing with the extreme slow burn of the show, maybe that's the point? Who the gently caress knows with this guy

"you want julee cruise singing in the background of donna and james reuniting in the roadhouse? gently caress you here's a cut to the nine inch nails with no known characters in sight" -the lynchmeister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nine Inch Nails is cool and good and Lynch wanted them in his show. I wouldn't think much harder about it than that.