Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Scarecow posted:

Jesus the wait for threadripper is killing me, where are the drat leaks at

It releases in August and you get a preview from Alienware on July 27th. I imagine you'll probably see information on July 20th about thread Ripper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Malloc Voidstar posted:

204,772% (22.5 seconds to 11 milliseconds lmao)

Unreal. FineWine™ in action. No, but really, is that kind of optimisation in a shipping product really heard of? That's incredible.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Unreal. FineWine™ in action. No, but really, is that kind of optimisation in a shipping product really heard of? That's incredible.
sounds like a product released 3 months more before most serious errata has been cataloged

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
ZBrush is a general shitshow.

I mean, it's UI looks like it's from a 90's MOD tracker running on DOS.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Combat Pretzel posted:

I can respect any UI that hasn't succumbed to peer pressure and ironed all their icons into flat colors.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I built a R7 1700 system to replace my i5 -4590 (4C/4T) desktop as a home workstation/gaming PC and am pretty chuffed with the performance.

Gaming flies and more impressively, my hobby machine learning code cleanly parallelizes from 4 to 8 cores for close to 2x the performance.
Scikit python code that used to take 2h22m per run now takes slightly over an hour.

One downside is I can't overclock my PC when running full on all 8 cores using the Wraith Spire cooler. I hit 80+C and the system shuts down for overtemp protection.
I've noticed that the CPU idle/load temps don't scale up linearly with the OC rates - I tried overclocking from 3.7GHZ down to base and there's a sharp rise in temps once you overclock at all.

I'm fine with stock for now (hitting >100FPS at 1440P with a 1080Ti for almost all games) but am thinking of moving to a custom cooling solution down the road.
What's a good/quiet solution - I was looking at the Cryorig H7 Quad or an entry watercooling solution, the Coolermaster Masterliquid Lite 120.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Combat Pretzel posted:

You make it sound attractive.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

shrike82 posted:

One downside is I can't overclock my PC when running full on all 8 cores using the Wraith Spire cooler. I hit 80+C and the system shuts down for overtemp protection.
I've noticed that the CPU idle/load temps don't scale up linearly with the OC rates - I tried overclocking from 3.7GHZ down to base and there's a sharp rise in temps once you overclock at all.

Turning OC mode on at all disables all of the power-throttling. This is another reason to go with the 1700 over the 1700X, you can't underclock the 1700X very easily...

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

shrike82 posted:

I've got my 1700 running at 3.7 (P-State overclock) with a 212 EVO and it barely creeps above 50C with all threads maxed out by x264. Unless you're going to crank the voltage and try to hit 3.9+ a decent air cooler is totally viable.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Turning OC mode on at all disables all of the power-throttling. This is another reason to go with the 1700 over the 1700X, you can't underclock the 1700X very easily...

Unless I'm mistaken about pstate overclocking, that's not true?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

I've got my 1700 running at 3.7 (P-State overclock) with a 212 EVO and it barely creeps above 50C with all threads maxed out by x264. Unless you're going to crank the voltage and try to hit 3.9+ a decent air cooler is totally viable.

What kind of OS / setup are you using? I'm thinking about taking the plunge into a Ryzen setup, as I love me some AMD and cores. I was initially pondering PCIe passthrough, but I might just use Windows host and hyperV whatever else I want.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

SoftNum posted:

What kind of OS / setup are you using? I'm thinking about taking the plunge into a Ryzen setup, as I love me some AMD and cores. I was initially pondering PCIe passthrough, but I might just use Windows host and hyperV whatever else I want.

I'm running Fedora 25, and have a GTX 970 with the proprietary drivers. Everything runs buttery smooth, including native Steam games. I do use KVM with virt-manager/virsh for tinkering and it works just as well on Ryzen as on my Haswell laptop.

I'll eventually try PCIe passthrough with a Windows VM and a second GPU, but I'm waiting for the kinks to be ironed out first. Dual-booting is probably recommended for the time being if you want full performance in both Linux and Windows. I think it's likely that AMD will address the GPU passthrough/NPT issue eventually since they've bet the farm on the Zen architecture. It's just a matter of time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The problem is what if fixing that requires a chip revision? Buying Ryzen is really iffy if you know you need a feature that doesn't work and may not work on your silicon ever?

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah that's the problem. A couple of people sent a support requests to AMD regarding this issue, the requests were escalated and when they got "high" enough eventually blackholed, so no response given, neither positive or negative.
At this point I am fairly certain that it will need a new stepping to fix this which is why I'm holding off Ryzen for now.
If Epyc/Threadripper doesn't fix the problem then it's highly unlikely that we'll see it fixed before Zen+.

It's really puzzling how they overlooked this for a system so perfect for virtualisation but launching a completely new architecture is no small feat so :shrug:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

There hasn't been any indication that it can't be fixed with microcode though. It's premature to say it can only be fixed with a new stepping until we hear from AMD engineering, who may have higher-priority issues they're working on, like the IRETQ bug. That said, NPT and IOMMU work properly, just not simultaneously on the same KVM VM. We'll just have to wait and see if a fix can be made in hypervisor, microcode, or both. Has anyone tried PCIe passthrough with NPT enabled in a hypervisor other than KVM? I know that's the favorite for GPU passthrough since it has knobs to work around NVIDIA's virtualization lockout; maybe it works better with ESXi?

If you *need* GPU passthrough *now* then Ryzen is not the platform for you. For me, it'd be nice to have, because AAA games in Windows aren't a big priority for me, and I can do everything else on this system as it is.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Wendell released a video discussing virtualisation.

He recommends disabling NPT but also passing through the second SATA controller on your motherboard (assuming you have one) along with an extra SSD plugged into it for the Windows installation in order to work around the performance penalty of disabling NPT.

eames
May 9, 2009

Hmm, that makes Ryzen very tempting if passing through the entire SATA controller really solves all performance issues. His idea of using a physical drive to dual boot as physical and virtual machine is pretty neat too.

This reddit thread has some *very* recent info on the topic, looks like one Ryzen use could in fact confirm that it's a KVM bug and a AMD dev will look into it tomorrow. :woop:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/6iomlh/apparently_the_kvm_amdnpt1_performance_bug_is/

eames fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 25, 2017

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

eames posted:

Hmm, that makes Ryzen very tempting if passing through the entire SATA controller really solves all performance issues. His idea of using a physical drive to dual boot as physical and virtual machine is pretty neat too.

This reddit thread has some *very* recent info on the topic, looks like one Ryzen use could in fact confirm that it's a KVM bug and a AMD dev will look into it tomorrow. :woop:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/6iomlh/apparently_the_kvm_amdnpt1_performance_bug_is/

That is extremely promising. Also in that thread was information that Xen is working on enabling geforce cards by working around nvidia's checks like KVM does, though I'd rather just hold out for a KVM patch.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

eames posted:

Confirmed: it's a KVM issue. PCIe passthrough with NPT enabled on Xen does not have the problem!

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So basically AMD just needs to get into contact with the KVM devs and hash this out in a couple of months?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Are Epyc CPUs even made for desktop PCs or are they just for workstations?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Junior Jr. posted:

They are for servers.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Junior Jr. posted:

Ryzen = Desktop
Threadripper = Workstation
Epyc = Server

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 26, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Mr.Radar posted:

Ryzen = Desktop
Epyc = Server

We need to rearrange that

Ryzen = Desktop
Epyc = Server
Kittyzen = Mobile

so AMD can REKT cpus.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Hell, R7s are great workstations too.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
What date does the Ripper of Threads get unveiled to the public?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

What date does the Ripper of Threads get unveiled to the public?

I heard ~August.

i've tried to google that and i get nothin

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
July if packed inside an Alienware, no date for retail, aside from a Kitguru rumour: https://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/matthew-wilson/source-amd-to-launch-threadripper-in-august/

edit: HardwareCanucks has swapped over to Ryzen 1700X for Dmitri's video editing rig, so... I guess that's *one* PR win for AMD? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzzdkUvKhk

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 27, 2017

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
I managed to snag a R7 1700 for $350. First thing I noticed was how huge the box was. 3/4 of it is the heatsink and its, no joke, over twice the size of the stock Haswell heatsink.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Crosspost from the PC building thread just incase you fellas don't read that:

underage at the vape shop posted:

So I bought a hyper 212 turbo that the coolermaster site says works with am4 out if the box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fsWaSHyTA8

Did I get jipped? Am I supposed to force it?

Am I supposed to just force it super hard? Does anyone know?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah basically, except you're supposed to I think loosen it, put it over both sides and then force it super hard. Cooler installation is scary as gently caress.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit: HardwareCanucks has swapped over to Ryzen 1700X for Dmitri's video editing rig, so... I guess that's *one* PR win for AMD?

Jay switched over too, but, naturally, he did an overkill hardline watercooling rig in a Phanteks case which doesn't really have the airflow and as such doesn't really use his build because it runs very hot.

tech youtubers are eventually going to be a real boon for ryzen as they're all using such multithreaded loads and will recommend it as such

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Aesculus posted:

Yeah basically, except you're supposed to I think loosen it, put it over both sides and then force it super hard. Cooler installation is scary as gently caress.

I've never had one like this before, all my previous installs have been screws or stock intel that have the pop and twist plugs. This is like installing ram for the first time, except so much worse, because I'm watching the motherboard flex.

I'm gunna put it in the case first. I think have it bolted down will make the motherboard that little bit more rigid.

eames
May 9, 2009

well why not posted:

Jay switched over too, but, naturally, he did an overkill hardline watercooling rig in a Phanteks case which doesn't really have the airflow and as such doesn't really use his build because it runs very hot.

I never understood why people mount their watercooling radiators to suck air into the case. It seems like the equivalent of having a 200W space heater blowing into the case.
Top mounted radiators blowing air out on the other hand make a lot of sense.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

eames posted:

I never understood why people mount their watercooling radiators to suck air into the case. It seems like the equivalent of having a 200W space heater blowing into the case.

It probably makes very little difference. The problem he had was a complete lack of air intake/exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCZ5iP5cu8g

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The metal bit should be completely in the heatsink area, it shouldn't be resting on top of one of the fins.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

Because it guarantees that the radiators are sucking cool air from outside, and because positive pressure inside the case keeps dust out and in theory if you can build enough positive pressure it will be forced outside of any other vents anyway.

I have the S340, which is an extremely popular budget case, and that's literally how the case is designed. You have 2x140 radiator mounts in front, that's where your dust filters are. And there are only 2 other fan mounts in that case: one 120mm on the top (too little mobo clearance for more than a single fan) and one 120mm on the rear (a tight squeeze for a radiator, maybe workable).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/xNAMxZgvves

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the issue was that the Phaneks Evolv case, while gorgeous, doesn't really have much in the way of ventilation out the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6UAjQmg9Ho

(start at 3:00)

It's not a Ryzen, problem it's a Phanteks problem and even more so, a Jay problem for not researching how much airflow the case has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

So in fact a top mount rad is much worse, yikes. (Unless you intake from the top which would probably be similar to a front intake.)

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 27, 2017