Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nine Inch Nails is cool and good and Lynch wanted them in his show. I wouldn't think much harder about it than that.

That and his runtime per episode is about 12-15 mins longer than network television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nine Inch Nails is cool
Nine Inch Nails has always been cool.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Boner Zone posted:

This ep was good and nuclear test sequence owned but holy poo poo idk if I'll ever be able to not tune out every musical guest scene in this season

The only band scenes I remember from the original is like Julee Cruise maybe? But I seem to remember most of those scenes mostly being background for the characters that were actually in the bar interacting. Am I going just blocking out a bunch of these scenes or are the cuts to a musical guests just a thing on the new show?

I guess I tend to give Lynch the benefit of the doubt that he's just loving with the audience or fans of the original in some way here because the only one of these scenes this season with actual characters at the bar that I remember is when we get that hilarious line about James still being cool, but man I find these scenes really jarring and cringey after dealing with the extreme slow burn of the show, maybe that's the point? Who the gently caress knows with this guy

"you want julee cruise singing in the background of donna and james reuniting in the roadhouse? gently caress you here's a cut to the nine inch nails with no known characters in sight" -the lynchmeister

maybe lynch thinks the music scenes are cool even though you dont like them

nopants
May 29, 2004
did the girl find the penny before or after we first saw the woodsman that looked suspiciously like abraham lincoln?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

nopants posted:

did the girl find the penny before or after we first saw the woodsman that looked suspiciously like abraham lincoln?

It gets intercut with the couple on the road. So it's around the same time. What is worth noting is that isn't it a penny that Red is flipping when he meets the young Horne kid?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
She also rubs the penny in a way sorta similar to Coop Mr. Jackpots when he's doing his HELLLOOOO-OOOOHHH thing.

DrVenkman posted:

It gets intercut with the couple on the road. So it's around the same time. What is worth noting is that isn't it a penny that Red is flipping when he meets the young Horne kid?

It's a dime.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 27, 2017

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
NIN was worth it just for getting to add "oh, and Nine Inch Nails does the overture!" when trying to explain what happened in this episode to my roommate who had only seen season 1

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

DrVenkman posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a dime because Richard Horne couldn't fit a penny into his nose

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, I'm watching that scene where Coop is doodling on the insurance claims (just before Albert's touching tribute to Gene Kelly) and the whole thing is so great. You can tell that Coop is mostly following the lights, but there's also something else there. Something I noticed is that sometimes he doodles in spots where there aren't lights, which may mean he's figuring it out on his own with the lights' help, like a little bit of the Coop we once knew surfacing for a bit. And the music is so wonderful, too, it's melancholy but almost with a bit of hopefulness to it because they sure as hell know every viewer is going "is that Coop?? Is Coop starting to come back?? Or is he gone forever and this is all that's left??" at that moment.

The :smith: expression on my face watching that scene for the first time kinda matched Coop's.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CJacobs posted:

She also rubs the penny in a way sorta similar to Coop Mr. Jackpots when he's doing his HELLLOOOO-OOOOHHH thing.

It's a dime.

My bad, I know nothing of US currency.

Anyway, I think some people might be taking the Good/Evil stuff a tad too literally and feel that it diminishes FIRE WALK WITH ME. I can see that point but I don't think it's quite true. As seemingly abstract as that whole sequence was, there's clear thought behind it. The detonation of the bomb unleashes a specific type of evil, which is the evil that men do. That's literally what Bob is throughout the series (I mean, Albert outright says it in Season 2). So with that, I don't think it weakens the events of the show or the movie. I think that aspect of it still holds up.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DrVenkman posted:

My bad, I know nothing of US currency.

Anyway, I think some people might be taking the Good/Evil stuff a tad too literally and feel that it diminishes FIRE WALK WITH ME. I can see that point but I don't think it's quite true. As seemingly abstract as that whole sequence was, there's clear thought behind it. The detonation of the bomb unleashes a specific type of evil, which is the evil that men do. That's literally what Bob is throughout the series (I mean, Albert outright says it in Season 2). So with that, I don't think it weakens the events of the show or the movie. I think that aspect of it still holds up.

Albert says, "Maybe that's all BOB is. The evil that men do. Maybe it doesn't matter what we call it." I'm pretty sure he's trying to be reassuring in this scene, not claiming any degree of certainty. And he tends toward the material rather than the supernatural (a foil for Cooper, in that sense).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

Albert says, "Maybe that's all BOB is. The evil that men do. Maybe it doesn't matter what we call it." I'm pretty sure he's trying to be reassuring in this scene, not claiming any degree of certainty. And he tends toward the material rather than the supernatural (a foil for Cooper, in that sense).

Well no, I'm not saying that the show used Albert to literally explain things, but the idea doesn't just exist in a vacuum either. Bob is a very specific type of entity and I feel like the sequence last night doubles down on that. A man-created evil unleashing Bob into the world is not accidental or unrelated. And I think people saying things like the bomb created a rift to another dimension, or aliens etc are missing the woods for the trees a little bit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just recorded the latest ep of my TP podcast and my co-host and I had a massive argument about the NIN scene because he was complaining it was unnecessary and took him out of the show for so long and I was just like "lol who cares, why not do it? it's fun"

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

Well no, I'm not saying that the show used Albert to literally explain things, but the idea doesn't just exist in a vacuum either. Bob is a very specific type of entity and I feel like the sequence last night doubles down on that. A man-created evil unleashing Bob into the world is not accidental or unrelated. And I think people saying things like the bomb created a rift to another dimension, or aliens etc are missing the woods for the trees a little bit.

No, but it also doesn't necessarily mean that the show is saying BOB is just "the evil that men do." It's a valid interpretation, but I don't think too much of it if this is in fact when he first makes his way into the world. My reasoning is that this implies "the evil that men do" didn't exist before the first atom bomb was dropped. I don't think that's specifically what you're implying or think, but that's how it comes across to me.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

nopants posted:

maybe lynch thinks the music scenes are cool even though you dont like them

I mean that's fine enough of an explanation for me but he's definitely wrong about that lol

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The NiN scene works fine as it's a little overture for what comes next.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TheMaestroso posted:

No, but it also doesn't necessarily mean that the show is saying BOB is just "the evil that men do." It's a valid interpretation, but I don't think too much of it if this is in fact when he first makes his way into the world. My reasoning is that this implies "the evil that men do" didn't exist before the first atom bomb was dropped. I don't think that's specifically what you're implying or think, but that's how it comes across to me.

stop it, the metaphorical side is arguing with the narrative side again :(

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Boner Zone posted:

"you want julee cruise singing in the background of donna and james reuniting in the roadhouse? gently caress you here's a cut to the nine inch nails with no known characters in sight" -the lynchmeister

There are pieces of other Lynch films all over the new season and I guess he wanted to keep making concert films after his 2014 thing with Duran Duran. I like them as credits songs but the NIN scene did absolutely nothing for me.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Clip from the first episode of Season 2 (AKA Episode 8), two minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfou9cwyygE

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I can't believe david lynch is a character in his own show and that he's THAT character. At first I was like Oh, it's nice that that character actor I've never seen anywhere else was available for new twin peaks but dang. Earpiece FBI man is david lynch and I never knew it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Krinkle posted:

I can't believe david lynch is a character in his own show and that he's THAT character. At first I was like Oh, it's nice that that character actor I've never seen anywhere else was available for new twin peaks but dang. Earpiece FBI man is david lynch and I never knew it.

I like the part where David Lynch Gordon Cole falls in love with Shelly and they make out to spite Bobby

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

caligulamprey posted:

Clip from the first episode of Season 2 (AKA Episode 8), two minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfou9cwyygE

I was always intrigued by how the giant seems to sneak into his room and make sure he's asleep before doing his whole presto appearo thing. Almost as though he's a bit less magical than he wants Cooper to believe.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

They find a penny with Lincoln on it and the sooty guy looks like Lincoln.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CJacobs posted:

I like the part where David Lynch Gordon Cole falls in love with Shelly and they make out to spite Bobby

I like the part where he straight up explains how the scene is shot, and announces that it will happen twice because it's his show.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

They find a penny with Lincoln on it and the sooty guy looks like Lincoln.

Robert Broski. Look him up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And More posted:

I like the part where he straight up explains how the scene is shot, and announces that it will happen twice because it's his show.

I bet Tammy gets Lynch'd at some point this season.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

(seems like I keep finding interesting stuff)

According to Secret History, there were UFO sightings at Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico in February of 1955. For reference, Holloman is adjacent to White Sands.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know, I think a lot of people sort of forget just how much of a non-entity Gordon Cole was... well... Through pretty much all of Twin Peaks up until Laura Palmer's killer is revealed. Seriously.

He only shows up once in all of Season 1 - in episode 5 , uncredited, playing the voice of Dale's Boss Gordon Cole on the phone - I don't think we knew a thing about him other than his name and that he talks loudly. In fact, we seem a bit nudged to dislike him initially, since he apparently seemed to be backing Albert's claim of Truman being a big mean jerk.

Cole/Lynch does not show up again for like nine more episodes until he comes back in Episode 6 of season 2, where he (sadly) is the bearer of the death of the show, appearing with the first mention of Windom Earle along with an opening chess move - a promising start! I seem to recall Lynch having a pretty fun time in this episode (he didn't direct it) with great lines like "THERE'S THE ONE-ARMER NOW!" is arguably still my favorite line of his, or at least in the top 3.

Cole is also in the following episode. Lonely Souls, which is Lynch-directed and reveals the killer. I remember very little of this episode beyond the scene with Maddie, Leland, and Sarah all sitting in their bright and happy living room and listening to Louis Armstrong play his signature song, contrasted with that one image of Leland/BOB looking cruel and calculating with this rubber-gloved hands together, right before he lunges for Maddie. Utterly, utterly indelible images forever etched into my memory. Up there with the unforgettable moments of film/TV. It was like.... I mean gently caress, it's so beyond awful and disturbing I still can't believe it was filmed in the first place let alone allowed on TV. We're seeing a woman being molested/raped, beaten up, we see her emotionally and physically shattered and desperately trying to just breathe and get her wind back, let alone try to fight. And we simultaneously switch between the remorse from Leland and the rapacious, amoral lust to purposely inflict trauma and kill from BOB. I know we all know this, it's just... One of those scenes you can't quite get out of your head.

I was actually going to do a re-watch of season 1/as much of season 2 as I get through during this two week break. And deffo FWWM and Missing Pieces again.

I feel like, especially with that last episode, there will hopefully be some scenes that get cast in a new and different light.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

TAKE A GOOD LOOK, SONNY

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Just recorded the latest ep of my TP podcast and my co-host and I had a massive argument about the NIN scene because he was complaining it was unnecessary and took him out of the show for so long and I was just like "lol who cares, why not do it? it's fun"
I've been listening to your cast, and I can't wait to see his reaction to this weeks show. Its been fun getting the perspective of a reluctant viewer that is still on board and has an open mind, but I have a feeling that is going to change.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

boner confessor posted:

TAKE A GOOD LOOK, SONNY

Sonny Jim

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

kaworu posted:

We're seeing a woman being molested/raped,

Unless you're reading between the lines a bunch, this doesn't happen in that scene.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that scene is one of the best and most horrifying in TV history but nobody actually gets raped in it or anything

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Could I get a link to your podcast please?

nopants
May 29, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

(seems like I keep finding interesting stuff)

According to Secret History, there were UFO sightings at Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico in February of 1955. For reference, Holloman is adjacent to White Sands.

probably just orbs bringing woodsmen to earth

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

nopants posted:

probably just orbs bringing woodsmen to earth

:orb: Things

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

The NiN scene works fine as it's a little overture for what comes next.

My feelings were the same. The end of the song directly into resurrected bad Cooper into nuclear explosion was perfect. The transitions wouldn't seem so jarring if they didn't play the whole song first.

PAL-18
Jan 21, 2007

Wanna see my batteries?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

MIKE's name must be from IVY MIKE, the first H-Bomb.

Came rushing through the rest of the thread to say nuclear disarmament.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Whoever books shows at Bang Bang is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hellfaucet posted:

Could I get a link to your podcast please?

Sure! You can find it here: http://www.hitwithwrench.com/podcasts/ or under "Peaked: A Twin Peaks Fancast" on iTunes etc (although latest ep will still probably take an hour or two to go up on iTunes as we JUST published it).