Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seems a lot simpler for the company to be the ones providing the vehicles, fuel, insurance, servicing etc. Probably cheaper than reimbursing mileage, and easier to ensure there's no taxable benefit to have to calculate.

Also it's more professional since they can make sure people are only driving sub-three year old leased fleet vehicles, so you're less likely to break down and be late, and more presentable when you show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Super Slash posted:

So uh, is it totally naive of me to expect companies offering travel support jobs that require a driver's licence to supply their own vehicle fleet?

It's really lame to be told "Can you drive? Great! Oh you don't own a car? Well that's a shame..." dude I drive a bike, it's cheaper and more fun.

We're expected to have our own vehicle but we get compensated by distance for gas/wear+tear

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mewse posted:

We're expected to have our own vehicle but we get compensated by distance for gas/wear+tear

I hate this with the fire of a thousand suns.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At my company it's a requirement to have a car. No company vehicles are to be used.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's ok. We're not on-site that often and the compensation rate is pretty generous.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I guess I should clarify, I know it is super common, but I hate it. Requiring an employee to have a car is lovely. Expecting employees to put wear and tear on their car, even if you're reimbursing them is lovely. What about people who take the bus / train / bike / walk to work? What about people who lease?

It's similar to the whole phone debate, whether or not work should provide you with one, except now scale it up to something that costs 20k. Plus when you're driving your car and you get into an accident, it becomes a whole big thing about whose insurance is responsible and some shady companies skimp on that without you knowing... it's just lovely. I've also had issue with "well, we won't reimburse you when driving to the first customer of the day because you'd be driving to the office anyways" when customers were 50+ miles further than the office. Or on the way home. Or treat your time appropriately in the same fashion. Again, lovely.

If you expect me to drive, have a company car parked in the parking lot. I'll come in to the office, pick it up, then drive wherever you need me to go. At the end of the day I'll drop it off and head home.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for job time chat the other day thread, I now have an interview this week for a job that's offering 20k+ onto what I make now :yotj:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Thank you for job time chat the other day thread, I now have an interview this week for a job that's offering 20k+ onto what I make now :yotj:

Good for you, man! And just remember, if it's not a good fit don't rush into it. If you got an offer for 20k more that quickly, you likely can get it again.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
That's one thing I gave IBM credit for. They were very up front with mileage requirements. If your first customer was 100mi away but your normal commute to the office is 20mi, you claimed 80mi for that trip. And if you were traveling over (I think it was) 150mi a day you could rent a car. Finally, if your annual mileage exceeded some threshold, you were given a company car.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Internet Explorer posted:

I guess I should clarify, I know it is super common, but I hate it. Requiring an employee to have a car is lovely. Expecting employees to put wear and tear on their car, even if you're reimbursing them is lovely. What about people who take the bus / train / bike / walk to work? What about people who lease?

It's similar to the whole phone debate, whether or not work should provide you with one, except now scale it up to something that costs 20k. Plus when you're driving your car and you get into an accident, it becomes a whole big thing about whose insurance is responsible and some shady companies skimp on that without you knowing... it's just lovely. I've also had issue with "well, we won't reimburse you when driving to the first customer of the day because you'd be driving to the office anyways" when customers were 50+ miles further than the office. Or on the way home. Or treat your time appropriately in the same fashion. Again, lovely.

If you expect me to drive, have a company car parked in the parking lot. I'll come in to the office, pick it up, then drive wherever you need me to go. At the end of the day I'll drop it off and head home.

Counterpoint, with limited applicability: my org has 2 company cars available for use. One has a windshield with a crack about 3' long, extending into view of the driver, and the other went into a ditch last winter and now desperately needs a front end alignment-you have to constantly fight the wheel to drive straight. I have to drive around the state now and then, but refuse to use the company cars until they are repaired. When I asked the person responsible about replacing the windshield on car #1 I was told it was "probably going to cost a couple hundred bucks, which is too expensive." Who the gently caress knows if they even bother getting routine maintenance done, oil changes cost money too!

So yeah, I've already got a rental car lined up for a work trip next month.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sirotan posted:

Counterpoint, with limited applicability: my org has 2 company cars available for use. One has a windshield with a crack about 3' long, extending into view of the driver, and the other went into a ditch last winter and now desperately needs a front end alignment-you have to constantly fight the wheel to drive straight. I have to drive around the state now and then, but refuse to use the company cars until they are repaired. When I asked the person responsible about replacing the windshield on car #1 I was told it was "probably going to cost a couple hundred bucks, which is too expensive." Who the gently caress knows if they even bother getting routine maintenance done, oil changes cost money too!

I'd almost debate getting into an "accident" in one of those and sue company.

v--- Here it's written that if it obstructs the view of the driver or something similar, which is still up to the discretion of the officer pulling you over.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 26, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sirotan posted:

Uh, a cracked windshield isn't even street legal most places.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Aunt Beth posted:

That's one thing I gave IBM credit for. They were very up front with mileage requirements. If your first customer was 100mi away but your normal commute to the office is 20mi, you claimed 80mi for that trip.
I think this is the law?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sirotan posted:

I was told it was "probably going to cost a couple hundred bucks, which is too expensive." Who the gently caress knows if they even bother getting routine maintenance done, oil changes cost money too!
Holy poo poo I dread to think of the state of the engines, even though my place is run by clowns they at least get repairs booked in on the same day.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Internet Explorer posted:

It's similar to the whole phone debate, whether or not work should provide you with one,

What's the phone debate?

I'd expect employers to provide one or reimburse.

As for cars, I think I received fifty-something a mile which worked in my favor as i drove a cheap Acura Integra and a Nissan Maxima on long interstate trips. Despite repairs I probably made money but the co-workers with BMWs probably lost a lot on that long term.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

What's the phone debate?

I'd expect employers to provide one or reimburse.

Let's not do this one again. Read the thread if you really need to know.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Super Slash posted:

So uh, is it totally naive of me to expect companies offering travel support jobs that require a driver's licence to supply their own vehicle fleet?

It's really lame to be told "Can you drive? Great! Oh you don't own a car? Well that's a shame..." dude I drive a bike, it's cheaper and more fun.

It is common for companies to reimburse at the IRS rate for personal vehicle use for many positions with travel. It is also common to reimburse at the less than the IRS rate. A lot of sales and non IT jobs deal with this too. It is less common to provide a company car especially at smaller companies.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
IRS rate doesn't even cover the extra cost per mile on my lease (granted by about two cents) much less the gas or any repairs necessary.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

I think this is the law?
The only thing I ever actually looked up was the IRS rate for mileage. Less impressive if this is all just law. Oh well, it seems like half the companies people work for don't follow any employment law anyway, so I'm still going to chalk this up as a win.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Every company car i've ever been in has been of a questionable quality.

One was called the goblin, because it was small, smelled and rocked about like crazy. I didn't care about how bad it was because I was only 21 and in the passenger seat.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Work gave me the option to either have free public transport travel in Amsterdam or get monthly paid for the travel distance. Since I commute by bicycle anyway. I took the monthly travel payments even though I don't spend a single dime.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

dogstile posted:

Every company car i've ever been in has been of a questionable quality.

One was called the goblin, because it was small, smelled and rocked about like crazy. I didn't care about how bad it was because I was only 21 and in the passenger seat.

I get a sizable monthly vehicle allowance and also a fuel card. I would rather drive my own comfortable personal vehicle than the barren fleet vehicles my company provides. My company buys the cheapest possible fleet vehicles. Congrats on your new company vehicle with AM radio, manual windows, and no A/C!

stevewm fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 27, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My friend is a company director and the staff get BMW 330e-level vehicles as their company cars. Partly due to government incentives for hybrid vehicles, and also because he didn't think it was fair to get himself something really nice and make the staff suffer with shitboxes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

My friend is a company director and the staff get BMW 330e-level vehicles as their company cars. Partly due to government incentives for hybrid vehicles, and also because he didn't think it was fair to get himself something really nice and make the staff suffer with shitboxes.

Why did he get BMWs then? :confused:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Clever posts aside let's just agree that the perception is that is a BMW 330e is a very nice car.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 27, 2017

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sefal posted:

Work gave me the option to either have free public transport travel in Amsterdam or get monthly paid for the travel distance. Since I commute by bicycle anyway. I took the monthly travel payments even though I don't spend a single dime.

I prefer the lease car option in The Netherlands. You get to choose your own and it comes with unlimited gas money and milage and is mine for 4 years after which I get to pick a brand new one again.

Public transport is ok if you live in Amsterdam or close to a station in another large city. Otherwise it's garbage.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks Ants posted:

Woah woah woah a C-level executive caring about his employees?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The company has 3 directors and is still pretty small to be fair. Grown from zero staff about 8 years ago to 26 today, only one person has left during that time so they're doing something right.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

The sperg is strong with this one...
https://medium.com/@wtfmitchel/how-to-get-fired-from-microsoft-part-1-cc2980d33bfe

If I didn't know better, I'd think that was Corvettefisher...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

https://medium.com/@wtfmitchel/how-to-get-fired-from-microsoft-part-1-cc2980d33bfe

That is three parts long and I couldn't finish the first one

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

The Fool posted:

tl;dr he got fired for being a literal troll on company internal media and then took his trolling public.

He had some valid grievances but it all really reads like Babbys First Job and the adventures of Why Won't Anyone Listen To My Disruptive Idea(s).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SeaborneClink posted:

Why Won't Anyone Listen To My Disruptive Idea(s).

http://www.clickhole.com/quiz/are-you-disruptor-2205

I am no longer welcome at SXSW because my last presentation was too disruptive, and also while I was there I secretly took pictures of the founder of Spotify naked. I climbed a tree to look right into his fourth-floor room at the Austin Courtyard Marriott and waited there for hours until I got my opportunity, and I don’t regret it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think there was a legit reason to be raising grievances at the start but holy gently caress does he know how to go about it the wrong way.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

His description says "Nerd, Engineer, Human." I dispute at least one of those.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

http://www.clickhole.com/quiz/are-you-disruptor-2205

I am no longer welcome at SXSW because my last presentation was too disruptive, and also while I was there I secretly took pictures of the founder of Spotify naked. I climbed a tree to look right into his fourth-floor room at the Austin Courtyard Marriott and waited there for hours until I got my opportunity, and I don’t regret it.

quote:

Are You A Disruptor?

You Are Topanga Lawrence!
Incredible. You are such a disruptor, you disrupted the very mechanics of this quiz and got the result of a “Which Boy Meets World Character Are You?” quiz. Light-hearted and always good to your friends, you are Topanga.

lol

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I had no idea my employer was so awful despite working here for 2+ years?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Fool posted:

Scrolling and scrolling, those articles go on way too long, then I see the magic incantation "autism" somewhere in the middle.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Well, his poor performance review made him stressed out so much he went on disability.

So he couldn't be fired. :godwin:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Paladine_PSoT posted:

He's even linking to the LinkedIn pages of the actual people he's talking about, the gently caress is wrong with this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I don't get people. If you don't like it, just find something else. You got in at Microsoft, you can get in somewhere else.

e; I got my ducks in a row and simply waited for an email to come out with the announcement of the arrival of his daughter. When that day came, I called a meeting with Daniel’s manager

jfc