Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
The resolution this time was so lazy and half-assed that I thought it was self-parody at first.

E.g. the serendipitous solution collapses mid-explanation, or Richard realizes they're always saved and looks around expectantly for a solution that never comes.

Dinesh's prediction of a clueless insurance company owning the future of the internet might have actually taken the show somewhere new.

Instead we got an ending scene that literally could be pasted at the end of S1E10 and fit perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Snak posted:

They didn't have the internet this whole time, they don't know about any of that. They didn't even know their network was still up.

Oh that's true, fair enough.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really liked the result of the buildup of Richard being an rear end in a top hat. They could have drug it on longer, but that was the real arc this season, and they capped it off with him being just a really loving terrible person, and everyone realizing it.

That was the real payoff of the finale, I think.

I hope that they deal with some of the aftermath of it next season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I'd argue the height was the dicks bit at the end of season 1

Agreed. Season 1 is a lot > every other season so far. Part of that isn't their fault since a cast member died. It's still a good show but the cast getting the football pulled away every time gets old.

Beller posted:

The biggest problem with Veep is that it isn't funny.

To me VEEP is one of if not the funniest show currently on tv. This season wasn't as good as the previous ones but still enjoyable.

Both VEEP and Silicon Valley are better than most comedies on tv.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just since TJ is throwing so much shade his way, I looked up what exactly Alec Berg has written.

He wrote 5 episodes of Silicon Valley:

quote:

- Success Failure (2017) ... (written by)
- The Uptick (2016) ... (written by)
- Two Days of the Condor (2015) ... (written by)
- Bad Money (2015) ... (written by)
- Optimal Tip-To-Tip Efficiency (2014) ... (written by)

The Condor episode and the Tip-To-Tip Efficiency episode are two of my favs, and now that I come to think of it both gags had nothing to do with Erlich, so maybe that's why TJ doesn't like him

EDIT: "Bad Money" was the episode that introduced Russ Hanneman - Alec Berg is cool as gently caress

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 27, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Avasculous posted:

Barring how terrible an idea it would be to design the fridges to accept software installations from each other, why wouldn't the fridge company use the same system to roll back/reformat all of the fridges after 50 customers called in at like 10 AM?

Or failing that, recall their product that's been highjacked with malware and is spamming customers at home with profanity? In other words, the exact same crisis they just escaped.

Speaking of which, why are they even in crisis? Barker was the only one at Hooli that thought the recall was a good idea, and the factory took him hostage 10 hours into it, then got fired.

I don't think you understand how lovely IoT devices are.

My favorite line about them is a tie between, "IOT - The S is for Security," and, "Internet of poo poo."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, to whoever said that Richard's "new internet" idea was hella lame, I definitely felt that way at the beginning of the season, and probably let out an audible groan when he started describing what everyone who's tech savy and had to deal with terrible internet service providers has daydreamed about.

But, it's certainly relevant to the show and makes perfect sense that someone like Richard would take a crack at it. There is literally a competition going on right now with a $2 million prize to design a decentralized internet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like that the Chinese factory has suicide nets.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
TJ Miller is the Robin Williams of our generation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I just have to give a shoutout to Stephen Tobolowsky. Dude needs more roles where he's allowed to drop the "dopey" and be straight up sinister like he did once he realized he'd been played.

I still remember his bit part in Sneakers where he goes from being Mr. Awkward Computer Dater to "let's go for a ride...*Doris*."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cojawfee posted:

I like that the Chinese factory has suicide nets.

That was a great establishing shot, subtle.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just have to give a shoutout to Stephen Tobolowsky. Dude needs more roles where he's allowed to drop the "dopey" and be straight up sinister like he did once he realized he'd been played.

I still remember his bit part in Sneakers where he goes from being Mr. Awkward Computer Dater to "let's go for a ride...*Doris*."

He is great, he should do something with Richard Jenkins, another fav semi-comedic bald dude actor. Stepbrothers sequel where he is Brennan's dad perhaps??

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Snak posted:

Also, to whoever said that Richard's "new internet" idea was hella lame, I definitely felt that way at the beginning of the season, and probably let out an audible groan when he started describing what everyone who's tech savy and had to deal with terrible internet service providers has daydreamed about.

But, it's certainly relevant to the show and makes perfect sense that someone like Richard would take a crack at it. There is literally a competition going on right now with a $2 million prize to design a decentralized internet.
For what it's worth, that prize seems to be discussing something other than what they're designing on the show. Mozilla is talking about providing internet access to those who don't have it. What the show is describing is flatly impossible based on any technological understanding we have right now. I mean it's fine, it's this shows version of "zombies exist" or "dragons exist", you just accept it and move on. But the technology discussed on this show is not a thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what you think the show is describing, but Richard seems to describe a large-scale meshnet, which is not implausible. Could you port all of the content on the existing internet to it? No loving way. But he never really claimed that he was doing that.

I'm curious why you think it's "flat impossible" with our current understanding of technology.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Snak posted:

I'm not sure what you think the show is describing, but Richard seems to describe a large-scale meshnet, which is not implausible. Could you port all of the content on the existing internet to it? No loving way. But he never really claimed that he was doing that.

I'm curious why you think it's "flat impossible" with our current understanding of technology.

In order to be "free internet" the phones would need to be talking to each other outside of normal cell data. I don't think they've created that. It seems like what they created is an app that makes more storage space available on the phone and then hosts data which still gets accessed via the internet. I doubt any of the phones are close enough to each other to form a decent enough mesh.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is he really talking about "free internet?"

Of course that's impossible.

I assumed that since his app was using regular cell data relayed by cell towers. So yeah, that's not really a mesh net, but is completely decentralized. And he's passed the data cost completely onto the user, but he's probably assuming everyone has the mythical unlimited data that doesn't actually exist.

Just like the Weisman score, Richard's invention needs to be described in a way that average viewers will understand. I never got the impression that Richard was claiming his new internet would be "Free as in beer" since obviously to be on it you need to buy a smartphone and have a service provider and pay the bill and poo poo. I thought he meant "free as in speech" because a completely decentralized network couldn't be policed or shutdown easily, could persist anywere enough devices connected. No one could shut off your internet.

There's all sorts of logistical problems to solve, ethical problems, financial problems, political problems, etc, but it doesn't seem like something that's impossible by any means.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Reminds me of Jason Segel, except I guess he didn't actually quit How I Met Your Mother in the end. Being on a super successful sit-com can be just as much a boon for your career as it it can be ruin in most cases. Donald Faison and Scrubs is another case I suppose.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I absolutely hate IoT and everything it represents so I'm glad the show took a huge poo poo on it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silicon Valley will go on just fine without TJ MIller; he's a big part, but not the linchpin. Cheers, though, I just can't watch past Shelley Long leaving. I know the general consensus is that the show did fine without her, but it just falls right apart for me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Snak posted:

We already have a decentralised internet. It's called the internet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

feedmegin posted:

We already have a decentralised internet. It's called the internet.

Yes, but it wasn't invented by Richard Hendricks, which is the only thing Richard Hendricks cares about.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Richard's entire idea is to have a functional internet without massive data storage servers, I mean, the idea has its problems but at the very least we can say it's a different architecture compared to what we have today.

Though given that about 99.999% of the data on the internet is stored on massive server farms you're going to need a compression algorithm that makes files about one billionth of their original size for something like this to be viable, and even more so as you're going to rely upon duplicate copies of the data to deal with availability issues.

But, I mean, it's par for the course given that this show portrays Richard as a compression wizard and has Gilfoyle build a skynet like super computer in his garage.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So we're back at season 1 again. Maybe this time we'll be rooting for Gavin. I know I will be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Richard's entire idea is to have a functional internet without massive data storage servers, I mean, the idea has its problems but at the very least we can say it's a different architecture compared to what we have today.

Though given that about 99.999% of the data on the internet is stored on massive server farms you're going to need a compression algorithm that makes files about one billionth of their original size for something like this to be viable, and even more so as you're going to rely upon duplicate copies of the data to deal with availability issues.

But, I mean, it's par for the course given that this show portrays Richard as a compression wizard and has Gilfoyle build a skynet like super computer in his garage.

You probably also need a central server or at least a bunch of independently operated nodes that can handle talking to the storage network to find the files you need.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

So we're back at season 1 again. Maybe this time we'll be rooting for Gavin. I know I will be.

" Bream Hall gets us."

Hasn't Laurie hosed over Richard way more than Gavin at this point?

She:
-Defunded the company as soon as Richard got sued.
-Restored funding and immediately demoted him when he won the suit .
-Bought in jack barker, supported his box.
-Defunded Pied Piper again and sold it off to the highest bidder because Richard almost committed fraud.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's because of Monica. She's the only person Richard listens to.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

EugeneJ posted:

Just since TJ is throwing so much shade his way, I looked up what exactly Alec Berg has written.

He wrote 5 episodes of Silicon Valley:

The Condor episode and the Tip-To-Tip Efficiency episode are two of my favs, and now that I come to think of it both gags had nothing to do with Erlich, so maybe that's why TJ doesn't like him

EDIT: "Bad Money" was the episode that introduced Russ Hanneman - Alec Berg is cool as gently caress

To defend TJ for no reason, his criticism seems to be about Berg's show running instincts. TJ argues that Berg is responsible for what most of this thread hates: the network sitcom cycle of hitting the reset button at the end of every episode.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

i am the bird posted:

To defend TJ for no reason, his criticism seems to be about Berg's show running instincts. TJ argues that Berg is responsible for what most of this thread hates: the network sitcom cycle of hitting the reset button at the end of every episode.

Entourage was the exact same way - most of the TVIV crowd "just wanted to see the 4 guys hang out because that's funny" while the rest were like "it's stuck in a cycle of struggling to get a movie made and then always getting the movie made anyway so this sucks and nothing matters"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I honestly didn't feel like TJ's interview was that negative, he was more candid than you'd expect in a PR interview but it's clear he was just rambling and letting his mind run; I honestly believed that the man just felt like the role has reached and dead end and that he doesn't want to be involved, he'd rather do voice overs and his stand up routine even if it means he won't be as famous, it really all felt 100% legit.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's because of Monica. She's the only person Richard listens to.

when are they going to gently caress?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I kind of wish Gavin had told Richard where Erlich was "oh I left him in a Tibetan opium den with enough money to smoke himself to death". Richard has become such an rear end in a top hat he'd probably just say "oh, ok" and not actually care.

The way that Gavin lied about it to me sets up a potential reveal in sitcom tropes, but it won't happen and will probably be forgotten.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

priznat posted:

I kind of wish Gavin had told Richard where Erlich was "oh I left him in a Tibetan opium den with enough money to smoke himself to death". Richard has become such an rear end in a top hat he'd probably just say "oh, ok" and not actually care.

The way that Gavin lied about it to me sets up a potential reveal in sitcom tropes, but it won't happen and will probably be forgotten.

Judge said specifically that this was done as to allow TJ "an out" in the future if he'll agree to make a cameo.

They offered him a reduced role in the next season but he refused so it seems like from the showrunner's side they'd definitely like to have Erlich return at some point and that this is entirely up to TJ.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

series finale

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Jared is the one who fucks :colbert:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Hopefully never. I like that Monica exists as more than a love interest, though her character is still pretty half-baked.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This show has a lot of good things but, even after sticking it out to the end of this season, there's a lot I don't like about the characters. Nothing lethal on its own, but altogether a reason I won't be tuning back in for season 5.

Jared: Just gonna jump in here first, because he is still the best character. This guy is impossible; thoughtful, smart, respectful, a real stud (who fucks!), and yet also a product of child molestation and foster care. Why the gently caress would he stay with Richard? Is the scope of Richard's callousness comparable to Jared's abuser? Jared should've walked off to his own Entourage spinoff already.

Richard: He's just the worst person. I don't think there's an English slur to describe his weakness and selfishness. I doubt other languages have appropriate slurs.

Dinesh/Gilfoyle: I've gotten bored of their sniping, and this season's brief escalation to violence made it really uncomfortable. I like to see Kumail Nanjiani play characters with a bit more smugness and security, (like on Community, Adventure Time, or even his Broad City cameo). Also, I still remember Bill Haverchuck enough to want Martin Starr to be the underdog, but his character reads more as Roman from Party Down's self-insert most of the time.

Erlich: He was the best for a few seasons but so underused this year that I won't really miss him. Have fun smoking weed on set in Vancouver, T.J. Miller.

Gavin/Jack/Bighead/Russ/Monica/Laurie: All funny characters in their own rights, but also all dependent on being used just enough. I can't see any of their gimmicks as truly worthy of being expounded upon at this point.

Jian Yang: He is perfect. Don't attempt to make him into Erlich 2. Really just let Jimmy O. Yang into the background of any scene he chooses.

All other women on the show: woah woah this is silicon valley too many women would be unrealistic we have to dump your character asap !!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Cojawfee posted:

You probably also need a central server or at least a bunch of independently operated nodes that can handle talking to the storage network to find the files you need.
Yep, and to speed up access so you don't have to download from a distributed network every time, those central servers are going to cache what we call 'files' on them, and I believe that's what we on the current internet call a web server.

So yeah again, not happening.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It'll never happen, because it's not that type of show, but I would really like Richard to just realize that he's gay, and the lead relationship between Jared and Richard to be official.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Wasn't the ending I was hoping for, though I don't know what I was expecting. But it felt like a given that they'd fall rear end-backwards into a solution to their big problem, so it just wasn't as funny or interesting as previous seasons.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
This season was all over the place, and the overarching plot is starting to get in the way of how funny the show is. I can generally ignore the cyclical nature of their position resetting over and over as long as the jokes are good, but the amount of time focused on Richard turning into an irredeemable scumbag is making it hard to keep watching. He's screwed over just about everyone he knows at this point only to have another last minute magic solution work things out in his favor, they had better actually do something with it next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I appreciate that at least Richard got punched in the face.

• Locked thread