Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CascadeBeta posted:

Is there a battery widget that gives a realistic estimate of how much time you have left that isn't just assuming you're not going to touch your phone until the battery drains?

3C Battery Monitor's widget can give both estimates based on the average power draw for the past couple hours combined with data it's recorded for weeks to months on your phone and estimates based on near-instantaneous measurement of your power drain over the past couple minutes.

They offer the plain app as a free download so you can see if it works on you phone, and the Pro version removes ads and does more in depth tracking, as well as allowing you to use a widget bigger than 1x1 if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

3C Battery Monitor's widget can give both estimates based on the average power draw for the past couple hours combined with data it's recorded for weeks to months on your phone and estimates based on near-instantaneous measurement of your power drain over the past couple minutes.

They offer the plain app as a free download so you can see if it works on you phone, and the Pro version removes ads and does more in depth tracking, as well as allowing you to use a widget bigger than 1x1 if you want.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My store just switched from iPod based salesfloor PDAs to Android devices and the difference is night and day. My only complaint is that were locked into using the Google keyboard.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I'm probably dumb as poo poo, but how do you enable speed limit display in the Maps app? I know it's supposed to have that functionality but I'll be damned if I can find where to turn it on. (In the UK, if that makes a difference.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm trying to win concert tickets from a radio station and while it's not THAT big a pain in the rear end to dial, hang up, dial again, I was wondering if there were any apps that are designed for that very purpose. Searching the Play store I see a few that are out there, but with it needing phone/contact permissions I wanted to see if anyone had any recommended ones.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there a way to disable part of the touchscreen (a rectangular area that is a subset of the whole screen) temporarily or while a particular app is in foreground? Or like create a small dead-zone strip along the left/right edges of the screen?

I keep unintentionally activating presses on the edge of the screen from holding my 5X wrong.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

peepsalot posted:

Is there a way to disable part of the touchscreen (a rectangular area that is a subset of the whole screen) temporarily or while a particular app is in foreground? Or like create a small dead-zone strip along the left/right edges of the screen?

I keep unintentionally activating presses on the edge of the screen from holding my 5X wrong.

Um, well, no.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Getting a case or thicker case on it would probably help that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

peepsalot posted:

Call me a bold pioneer but I'm imagining adding some kind of... tape to your android

BRBPR
Jul 20, 2001

Flopstick posted:

I'm probably dumb as poo poo, but how do you enable speed limit display in the Maps app? I know it's supposed to have that functionality but I'll be damned if I can find where to turn it on. (In the UK, if that makes a difference.)
You can't. As far as I know it doesn't have a built in speedometer. I've used velociraptor for ages and it works really well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pluscubed.velociraptor

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Here maps was actually good the last time i used it a few months ago and is worth checking out

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Waze has speed built in too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Google Maps is rumored to be rolling out that feature soon, but nobody's sure exactly when.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I live in the Bay Area and Google Maps has been showing me the speed limit of the streets/freeways I'm driving on for months now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any alarm clock apps that say something rather than making a noise? I'm thinking for when I have early meetings it would be nice to have it remind me so I don't act like I need to go in at the normal time.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any alarm clock apps that say something rather than making a noise? I'm thinking for when I have early meetings it would be nice to have it remind me so I don't act like I need to go in at the normal time.

AMDroid, along with many others, will let you pick an MP3 file. So you can find/make a quick recording that says "You've got a meeting in 15 dummy" or something similar?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

22 Eargesplitten posted:

AlarmDroid uses Android's built in text to speech engine to have an alarm go off with a spoken message rather than a music track or sound effect:

It has a set of symbols you can use to have it automatically find the current values of various things, and you can just write text like "You have a meeting 15 minutes".

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Looking at the reviews for Alarm Drone, there's a lot of mentions of full screen ads that play music/loud sound effects even after purchasing ad free. Is that accurate?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tweetings is currently on sale for $0.99.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kheldarn posted:

Tweetings is currently on sale for $0.99.

I've been having some issues with Flamingo and I've got surverybux so I'll bite. It sure looks good.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there a way to add all the music I manually moved to my phone a while ago to my Play Music library, or is the only way to upload it via the web interface? The music on my phone shows up in the phone's music library, but not anywhere else.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey I checked back a few pages and didn't see anything on this. I just got the Galaxy S8 and I love it and after spending so much time setting it up I'm looking for any apps/services I can use to do a full local hardware backup/restore for the phone's internal memory and the sd card in it. I want everything backed up.

Ideally I can just plug it into my PC, run the app on my phone/PC or whatever and just have it back up everything physically to an external drive. I don't want cloud services or anything. Surely such a thing exists competently?

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 30, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

beep by grandpa posted:

Surely such a thing exists competently?

You'd think...but no.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to add all the music I manually moved to my phone a while ago to my Play Music library, or is the only way to upload it via the web interface? The music on my phone shows up in the phone's music library, but not anywhere else.

Like, be able to play the music now locally on your phone through the web, say on your computer? Not that I know of.

I have the Google Play Music uploader installed on my computer and any music I buy gets automatically uploaded in the background, but that's all handled on the computer.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Uthor posted:

Like, be able to play the music now locally on your phone through the web, say on your computer?

Yeah exactly. At least the stuff that is already in Google's catalog. Was hoping there would be a way to do it from the phone interface since what I added to the phone was a curated list of stuff I still actually listen to, even if it had to be done manually per artist or album, but it phone UI doesn't seem to give the "add to library" option for the local music even if it's not in my global library. I suppose my next best option is to copy everything from the phone to a computer and use the uploader (to avoid having to comb through all my music again to pick out what I actually want to upload).

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey I checked back a few pages and didn't see anything on this. I just got the Galaxy S8 and I love it and after spending so much time setting it up I'm looking for any apps/services I can use to do a full local hardware backup/restore for the phone's internal memory and the sd card in it. I want everything backed up.

Ideally I can just plug it into my PC, run the app on my phone/PC or whatever and just have it back up everything physically to an external drive. I don't want cloud services or anything. Surely such a thing exists competently?
For the S8, Samsung SmartSwitch should do most of that.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Splinter posted:

Yeah exactly. At least the stuff that is already in Google's catalog. Was hoping there would be a way to do it from the phone interface since what I added to the phone was a curated list of stuff I still actually listen to, even if it had to be done manually per artist or album, but it phone UI doesn't seem to give the "add to library" option for the local music even if it's not in my global library. I suppose my next best option is to copy everything from the phone to a computer and use the uploader (to avoid having to comb through all my music again to pick out what I actually want to upload).

This might not work if you don't control or own your router, but many offer local media streaming from whatever storage you plug into the router.

Take a look: you'll have to connect an external HDD or plug in a USB stick, it's hardly perfect but it solves your cloud-avoidance preference at least.

edit: seconding/thirding the "just install gmusic uploader" since it's not hard to manage

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 30, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, probably. The uploader only looks at the folder(s) you specify, so it should be easy to keep those files separate from your entire library.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

Samsung Cloud and SmartSwitch should already come installed on your phone.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Desk Lamp posted:

Samsung Cloud and SmartSwitch should already come installed on your phone.

I've looked at those but like I said I want to back up to an external HDD and Samsung smartswitch only let's me transfer/backup the internal storage to another Galaxy or to my own sd card (I want to back up both).

Maybe the route here is to look for a Windows program that does this for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

beep by grandpa posted:

Why is it you don't want to use the cloud? It's just too easy?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

beep by grandpa posted:

I've looked at those but like I said I want to back up to an external HDD and Samsung smartswitch only let's me transfer/backup the internal storage to another Galaxy or to my own sd card (I want to back up both).

Maybe the route here is to look for a Windows program that does this for me.
There is a Windows version of SmartSwitch and it should do what you're looking for

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are there any dialer apps that can block outgoing numbers?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Put your phone away before drinking?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

hooah posted:

This might be the saddest question after "Can you just flush a miscarriage?"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Haha, nothing drunken or whatever. I occasionally have reason to call my city's information number, which is 311. But I do it so infrequently that I can never remember if it's 311 or 411, and 411 is a $2 misdial on Verizon. They're not able (or more likely, not willing) to turn off that service for my number. Their best suggestion was to create an information contact, which is ok, but not rally great since it's a lot faster to dial three digits than to look up a contact.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So... you'd rather install an app that can stop you from dialing numbers? Just add a contact you lazy bastard.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

hooah posted:

Haha, nothing drunken or whatever. I occasionally have reason to call my city's information number, which is 311. But I do it so infrequently that I can never remember if it's 311 or 411, and 411 is a $2 misdial on Verizon. They're not able (or more likely, not willing) to turn off that service for my number. Their best suggestion was to create an information contact, which is ok, but not rally great since it's a lot faster to dial three digits than to look up a contact.

Pro-tip: if you start typing the name of the contact with your "number keyboard" (honestly not sure wtf to call it) while in the phone app, it will find the contact. Maybe you'll need more than just 3 keys to get the unique contact you want, but at least this is only a minimal change to your workflow.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dancer posted:

Pro-tip: if you start typing the name of the contact with your "number keyboard" (honestly not sure wtf to call it) while in the phone app, it will find the contact. Maybe you'll need more than just 3 keys to get the unique contact you want, but at least this is only a minimal change to your workflow.

This is a good point and if you made the contact zzz you could just hit 99 and tap the contact to call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I completely forgot that T9 typing lives on. Thanks!