Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Popcorn posted:

I really think they deserved the lawsuit. You can sing the entire "sheeee's running out" section over the verse. They even owned up to it.

What's amazing to me is that so many bands, particularly Muse and Coldplay, were derided for supposedly aping Radiohead early in their careers, and yet the fact that what remains Radiohead's biggest ever hit single was so obviously plagiarised they actually got sued is barely known even by fans. Sure enough, regardless of what you think of those bands, Muse and Coldplay had transformed their sounds within a few years, just as Radiohead did.

Yes, I too remember when Coldplay changed their sound and then got sued by Joe Satriani over Viva La Vida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Ballz posted:

They were recording it for a movie soundtrack, it would've been fine there.

For 1998 bomb The Avengers, of all movies.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

HD DAD posted:

Listening to I Promise and Lift, you can definitely see where they started making The Bends: Even Bendier before veering off into what would become OKC.

Totally. I always thought songs like Palo Alto hinted at the alternate timeline where, instead of going off the rails into Kid A land, Radiohead doubled down on being a rock group after OK Computer and kept themselves interested by going all Sonic Youth and messing around with weird distortion and feedback.

Am I right in thinking that OK Computer's sound was somewhat found by the band's participation in the War Child album and the Romeo + Juliet soundtrack? Both projects introduced limitations that resulted in fairly sparse / icy tracks and might've helped steer them in a direction they otherwise wouldn't have gone in. Could be talking out my arse, I'm not sure how the writing / recording timeline goes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Was OK Computer the Mr. Show of music? The A.V. Club tries to shoehorn that in somehow

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Listening to I Promise and Lift, you can definitely see where they started making The Bends: Even Bendier before veering off into what would become OKC.

Agreed, I get the same enjoyment from these "new" tracks that I do from the best of the Bends stuff, good heartfelt 90's arena rock, but definitely of their time, Lift in particular, whereas most songs on Ok Computer aren't as tethered to that era.

I remember they tried to rework Lift in a live performance in the early 2000's and stripped out the cheese, which just made it dull.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AUdCLWxD4JI

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Man Of War sounds like The Bends era Radiohead trying to do "Live and Let Die."

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 26, 2017

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Finally listened to Lift and yeah, it's good but not great. If a record exec heard it in '96 I can totally see them super stoked for a song like Lift as a continuation of The Bends, but clearly the band did the right thing in ditching it to go in a totally different direction. I will say that listening to the bonus disc, it does feel totally natural going from Lift to Lull.

Listening to these OKC era b-sides for the first time in years, and I can see most are probably leftovers from early in the recording process where they were still trying to break out of the Bends mold.

I still really like Man of War and wish they hadn't abandoned it. I still think back to that scene from Meeting People is Easy and it bums me out. :(

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Anonymous John posted:

Yes, I too remember when Coldplay changed their sound and then got sued by Joe Satriani over Viva La Vida.

Ahaha touche, though I think that guy had way less of a case.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Remaster sounds great, better quality than I had for a lot of this stuff for sure. Palo Alto has at least an enhanced intro/outro- and let's take this time 20 years later to, once again, remember how much Pearly owns.

The burnt-up OK Computer cover thumbnail is going to haunt me forever.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I can only see a big vagina.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I guess I'm happy these songs weren't on OK Computer, but I'm very happy to have them now and Lift in particular will probably be in some of my playlists for a bit.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
yeah i was most excited for Man of War but Lift is the one that's thoroughly stuck in my head right now

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This album reintroduced me to Polyethylene and I love it now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Steve2911 posted:

This album reintroduced me to Polyethylene and I love it now.

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that Palo Alto, Polyethlyne, Meeting in the Aisle and Man of War could have stood up to the rest of the album with a bit more cooking time.

And am I crazy or did Karma Police change the most in the remaster? What are most people hearing differently on this?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Popcorn posted:

I can only see a big vagina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goAsMBX86nQ

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Had never heard The Air I Breathe before. Wow.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's a better song than creep.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Manchester show was great. They bought out The Bends and everyone lost their poo poo. And they played I Promise to a deafening silence (basically the only song that you could hear Thom over the crowd singing).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

http://www.radiohead.tv/

So looks like they're uploading official recordings of gigs. A live album would be a lovely compliment to that (please).

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Was going through some live stuff on youtube, hadn't seen Fake Plastic Trees done in a while, it's really grown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9pr22fnZKk&t=6510s

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I realized over the weekend that the lovely bad idm radiohead I don't like actually starts in earnest at King of Limbs, not In Rainbows like I thought and IR is actually good.

I don't know why I thought that for so long.

Maybe my brain is just changing because I realized Reflektor from Arcade Fire is also not the lovely rear end terrible album I thought it was either recently. Maybe I just hate when bands make new albums.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I realized over the weekend that the lovely bad idm radiohead I don't like actually starts in earnest at King of Limbs, not In Rainbows like I thought and IR is actually good.

I don't know why I thought that for so long.

Maybe my brain is just changing because I realized Reflektor from Arcade Fire is also not the lovely rear end terrible album I thought it was either recently. Maybe I just hate when bands make new albums.

I did a reappraisal of IR and KoL right before AMSP came out and I came to the same conclusion: I had been very much underrating IR. KoL is the lone Radiohead album that doesn't seem to get any better with repeated listens.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
In Rainbows is the best album by British rock band Radiohead

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Making your way backwards through their discography? Hold on to your hat!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TKOL is unironically my favorite Radiohead album. Actually I think they've put out their best music in the last decade.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

HD DAD posted:

TKOL is unironically my favorite Radiohead album. Actually I think they've put out their best music in the last decade.

:yeah:

King of Limbs, In Rainbows, and Kid A are the three best Radiohead albums. Nope, no other album I can think of that should be there. Definitely those three. Yessiree...

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I didn't want to say it for a year, but A Moon Shaped Pool is my favorite. I kept expecting the new album shine / "this isn't King of Limbs" to wear off and it hasn't. In Rainbows and Hail to the Thief have gained a ton of ground as well. It took me a long time to get past my middle and high school nostalgia for OK Computer - Amnesiac.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

everything after the bends is my favorite

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I know I'm super late making this discovery, but I have the recommendations in this thread to thank for it—The King of Limbs: Live from the Basement is extremely good. I'm not sure if it's the different arrangements, more acoustic instruments, addition of the singles, different track order, or all of the above, but suddenly Radiohead's pleasant but forgettable electronic album is this spellbinding weird jazz/funk thing that I felt like I was hearing for the first time and is easily the best thing they've done since In Rainbows. Codex and Give Up the Ghost are both much more enjoyable when they're not back to back. How did I not completely love Lotus Flower before? How did I not even notice Separator?!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everything after Pablo Honey is my favorite

The Bends is a killer loving 90's alt-rock release and though it may lack the depth and variation of Radiohead's later work it's still one of the best of its genre released.

(Edit: also everything after Lotus Flower on TKOL is great and I don't think Bloom and Little By Little are properly recognized as the tasty jams that they are. Really only Feral and Morning Mr. Magpie are below average)

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 12, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I never understood why nobody likes Pablo Honey. It's got a bunch of good little songs on it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, with accompanying b-sides throughout, is the best Radiohead period ever.

In Rainbows and A Moon Shaped Pool are gorgeous, but they don't have the same intensity and thematic push as above.

OK Computer is an amazing time capsule of a certain tumultuous moment in history, but it will never quite reach beyond that. The Bends is a fun time capsule, but suffers from the same of-its-periodness. Pablo Honey is lol.

King of Limbs doesn't really go anywhere or do much of anything. Lotus Flower is good though.

That is my hot take on Thom Yorke and the Radioheads.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh there are some solid tracks on Pablo Honey but overall it's not very noteworthy.

Also I still haven't been able to get into AMSP. I thought time would help but anytime I listen to "The Numbers" or "Decks Dark" I get so reminded of "Optimistic" and "Subterranean Homesick Alien" because of the similarities in musical parts and lyrical content that I just want to put on Kid A or OKC instead.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I always think it's interesting to see people rank their favorite radiohead albums. It's something that's not done very often.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Shall we rank our favourite rankings of Radiohead albums?

Obviously I think mine's the best, but I think Ballz's ranking is pretty respectable

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Shall we rank our favourite rankings of Radiohead albums?

I think we should decide which is better: ranking Radiohead albums at the beach, or ranking Radiohead albums at the gym.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

BigFactory posted:

I never understood why nobody likes Pablo Honey. It's got a bunch of good little songs on it.

Pablo Honey would've been an excellent Björk album.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The Bends is their best album but a lot of them are very good thank you for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
You and Blow Out are legit good non-Creep songs off of Pablo Honey. The album as a whole is real corny though.

TKOL is getting less and less plays for me outside of Bloom, Lotus Flower, and Separator, I always want to listen to the From the Basement versions instead, they're so much richer.