Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'll be sauced up nice and good that night. I'll cuss at the screen and make wild gesticulations with my arms and hands.

STAR TREK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's the year two thousand and seventeen, I don't see any Star Trek. I was promised Star Trek, where is the Star Trek? Why, why, why why? *Sobs incoherently*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Orv posted:

It's the year two thousand and seventeen, I don't see any Star Trek. I was promised Star Trek, where is the Star Trek? Why, why, why why? *Sobs incoherently*

Bad news.

Discovery has been postponed until Summer 2018 because they need to redesign the uniforms and also Jason Isaacs is in a coma from drinking window cleaner that he mistook for Romulan Ale.

CBS is run by chumps. They stink like a paper mill.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Astroman posted:

PICTURED: Goons from the TVIV on the night of Discovery's premiere

Yea, there's probably only 2 goons who have access to CBS's streaming thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WampaLord posted:

I'm international, I'll be HDing on Netflix.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Netflix is getting both eps 1 and 2 the day after only ep 1 airs in the US. :smug:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WampaLord posted:

The premier is being broadcast over the air.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The premier is being broadcast over the air.

Oh, so it'll be the 2 goons who watch live TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The_Doctor posted:

Netflix is getting both eps 1 and 2 the day after only ep 1 airs in the US. :smug:

Only one episode ever is going to air in the US.

The 2nd episode will be up on all-access immediately after the first one airs though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh, so it'll be the 2 goons who watch live TV.

I almost never do, but for events like the Superbowl or Oscars or for something like this, it's a more reliable quality than live streaming. At least, it is for where I live and how much I pay for internet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'll watch the first episode on the ancient altar, and then well, yeah.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hmm, it's going to be up on Netflix UK 25th September, day after airing in the US. If that's midnight 25th, due to time zones, that'll be before it actually airs in the US. Hmm.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
While it's not going to come anywhere close to dethroning Game of Thrones as the #1 pirated TV/movie ever, I think there is a decent change it wins the race in % of pirated to non-pirated views in the US.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Frakes directing an episode:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/27/star-trek-discovery-jonathan-frakes/

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Actually, this entire show will turn out to have been a holosimulation in which Ol Fat Riker was learning how to be a strong independent black woman who don't need no command

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Wait until this guy finds out what the original Enterprise was based on.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Harry Kim feels like a redshirt they kept forgetting to kill. Even when they do kill him he still gets brought back somehow. Im starting to root for it. Come on Harry, today's the day.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gonz posted:

I'll be sauced up nice and good that night. I'll cuss at the screen and make wild gesticulations with my arms and hands.

STAR TREK.

START TRUCK

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Start Wreck is a great name for the new series.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cojawfee posted:

Start Wreck is a great name for the new series.

Wasn't there some weird foreign movie called Star Wreck that was full of CG models of ST ships and stuff?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Wasn't there some weird foreign movie called Star Wreck that was full of CG models of ST ships and stuff?

The adventures of James B. Pirk, Finnish space hero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wreck

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Given what a prolific genre TV director he is, it would almost be more surprising for him not to be doing an episode, but still.

Bonus points if he gets drunk with Sirtis and does commentary.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was Roddenberry alive for the first appearance of the Borg? Was he ever able to say what he thought of them? I have a wee bit of a notion that, of all the things TNG did, the Borg must surely have been one of the things he'd have most disliked, since they can be taken as the kind of twisted version of his own vision of the future.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was Roddenberry alive for the first appearance of the Borg? Was he ever able to say what he thought of them? I have a wee bit of a notion that, of all the things TNG did, the Borg must surely have been one of the things he'd have most disliked, since they can be taken as the kind of twisted version of his own vision of the future.

Q Who came out in 1989, so yes he was. However, he was already in poor mental and physical condition and was by that point no longer doing significant work on the series. Later that year he had the stroke that confined him to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, so I don't know that he ever commented on them - surely not publicly.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I do know that he hated "Family", the episode that came after the Borg cliffhanger "Best of Both Worlds" but by that point it didn't matter, he had no control over TNG by then.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-story-daring-cliffhanger-803642

Ron Moore posted:

Moore: We had to kind of fight for "Family." [Star Trek creator] Gene Roddenberry hated it. He wanted to throw it out. My only story meeting with Gene was that episode. It was me and Michael and Rick Berman, who was running the production side of things, we all met in Gene's office and Gene just said "this isn't the 24th century." "These brothers reflect outdated, 20th-Century modes of childhood development. Mankind had solved these kind of issues by then. I hate this." I sat there and I was a really green writer. I was like, "Oh my God, what are we going to do? I'm dead." We walked out in the hall and I just looked at Michael and Rick and was like, "What do I do now?" They said, "You know what? Just go write your story, we'll work with Gene." That was the last I ever heard of it. So they went off behind the scenes and did something and got him to back off or let it go or kind of distracted him with something else, because then we did the show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

If you want to see some truly impressive wailing and gnashing of teeth, commenters on Ars are freaking the gently caress out over the news that Discovery will have actual interpersonal conflict.

quote:

Not happy with this at all. The thing about Star Trek that was great was that it wasn't realistic from our current definition of realism. It was optimistic and it was idealistic, not realistic. That's what I find endearing about Star Trek. If I'm in the mood for gritty realism in sci fi, I'll watch the Expanse but that's not what's charming about Star Trek. Gene Roddenberry had good reason to do what he did and can't believe they can just ignore it. Can't the Roddenberry estate sue them or something for this?

quote:

I'm really tired of this recent trend of making main characters "realistic", "flawed", or whatever you want to call it. I miss the days when the main characters were presented as role models and heroes, who did do the right thing and were worthy of emulation.

Of course, it does depend somewhat on the show's setting, but Star Trek should be the last series to show characters that are no better than the average person.

quote:

Welp. This just feeds into my fears that the new Star Trek will make a hard left turn into intersectional identity politics.

quote:

The foremost reason that I watched Star Trek was because of Roddenberry and how his vision shaped even the writing of the show. Now these newcomers want to take away the optimistic vision of our future at even the interpersonal level that he gave us, and replace it with the same disgusting interpersonal dynamics that we exhibit now? I don't want that realism; I can step out my front door to get that. Gimme back my Utopian delusion.

It's not the monumental clusterfuck that the entire project has been that's got people worried, it's that the producers aren't worried about Roddenberry's Box. And anyone who dares to say that Roddenberry was a lunatic gets downvoted into oblivion. :laffo:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Leaked footage of Roddenberry's ideal ST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXGL9NEbqXA

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's nice every once and a while to get confirmation that even as into Star Trek as I am, I'm not an insane person about it.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Timby posted:

quote:

I'm really tired of this recent trend of making main characters "realistic", "flawed", or whatever you want to call it. I miss the days when the main characters were presented as role models and heroes, who did do the right thing and were worthy of emulation.
Of course, it does depend somewhat on the show's setting, but Star Trek should be the last series to show characters that are no better than the average person.

shadok posted:

quote:

and Gene just said "this isn't the 24th century." "These brothers reflect outdated, 20th-Century modes of childhood development. Mankind had solved these kind of issues by then. I hate this."

Technology doesn't fix humanity. Humans don't stop being humans because they're being fed regularly and can teleport to the moon.

Did Gene have problems connecting with or understanding people? I get the feeling he was on the spectrum and it really played into how he crafted his vision.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

vermin posted:

Did Gene have problems connecting with or understanding people?

Oh, Gene understood people very well, which is why he was so good at manipulating them. He was basically just a sociopath.

For example, when David Gerrold was coming to the end of his tenure on TNG, he was told that a script of his needed a rewrite, and that someone else would do it. It gets assigned to writer / producer Herb Wright, who's scrambling to get scripts finished. So Gerrold goes to Wright and says, "Hey, I can do this rewrite," and Wright says that's perfect, because he doesn't want to rewrite Gerrold in the first place.

So Gerrold goes and lets Roddenberry know he's doing the rewrite on the script, Roddenberry says, "Oh, that's great, that's exactly what I wanted all along, thank you so much, just make sure it's okay with Herb." Gerrold goes back to Wright's office, where he's getting off the phone, and Wright says, "Look, I don't lie for anyone, I want you to know this. That was Gene on the phone, and he wanted me to tell you that I think it's not okay for you to rewrite your script."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gene Roddenberry was not autistic ffs. His image of the future was shaped by a bunch of Aquarian Age type bullshit and lots and lots of drugs and sycophancy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love the compliant that Star Trek might dabble in identity politics :gonk: as if it hasn't dealt directly with social issues all along.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I appreciate gene's vision that he thought that technology would solve a lot of our problems, but he also acknowledged that we'd need equally fantastic advances in the social sciences and our culture in general. I don't think it's insane or crazy to think that some post-scarcity humans could develop a society like he envisioned. We find cures for mental illness, we break the cycle of lovely parents that gently caress up their kids who produce more hosed up kids, we reform the justice system into something much more like the medical/mental health system where it's about both prevention and cure, not punishment (not that there is much crime anymore with the economic causes removed).

But where TNG failed was taking this society for granted, thinking once we got there it just like humanity had leveled up and took the "utopian" perk. DS9 showed that we're still human animals though, that the amazing utopia we built had to be maintained and defended both from within and without. We were still flawed human(oids), we still snapped or got into conflicts, we just had much better tools at our disposal to then react to these situations.

As much as Rod & Berries was a bit nuts about his "vision" of a 100% flawless federation utopia with no cracks, the other extreme that we see in scifi a lot more is this trope that technology can advance but human society can never advanced beyond where we are today, which is I think is even more silly. Much like the industrial revolution saw a massive and rapid increase in productivity and population growth around the world, people like Roddenberry subscribed to a very 60's idea that a similar event was about to take place on the social front. This magical age of Aquarius never really panned out how they hoped, if at all, but I don't discount the idea that humans could experience something like that one day if the right material and political and social conditions align.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's important to remember that even as far back as the 60's they assumed things would get a lot worse first (Eugenics Wars, WW3) before they got better

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Orv posted:

It's nice every once and a while to get confirmation that even as into Star Trek as I am, I'm not an insane person about it.

Is this too long for a thread title?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I appreciate gene's vision that he thought that technology would solve a lot of our problems, but he also acknowledged that we'd need equally fantastic advances in the social sciences and our culture in general. I don't think it's insane or crazy to think that some post-scarcity humans could develop a society like he envisioned. We find cures for mental illness, we break the cycle of lovely parents that gently caress up their kids who produce more hosed up kids, we reform the justice system into something much more like the medical/mental health system where it's about both prevention and cure, not punishment (not that there is much crime anymore with the economic causes removed).

But where TNG failed was taking this society for granted, thinking once we got there it just like humanity had leveled up and took the "utopian" perk. DS9 showed that we're still human animals though, that the amazing utopia we built had to be maintained and defended both from within and without. We were still flawed human(oids), we still snapped or got into conflicts, we just had much better tools at our disposal to then react to these situations.

As much as Rod & Berries was a bit nuts about his "vision" of a 100% flawless federation utopia with no cracks, the other extreme that we see in scifi a lot more is this trope that technology can advance but human society can never advanced beyond where we are today, which is I think is even more silly. Much like the industrial revolution saw a massive and rapid increase in productivity and population growth around the world, people like Roddenberry subscribed to a very 60's idea that a similar event was about to take place on the social front. This magical age of Aquarius never really panned out how they hoped, if at all, but I don't discount the idea that humans could experience something like that one day if the right material and political and social conditions align.

To borrow a phrase, "Someone should have labeled the future 'some assembly required'"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I can imagine a world without material want and improvements in psychology and general reform of social structures would make more well-adjusted people on average. But they're still going to be people.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Bloop posted:

I love the compliant that Star Trek might dabble in identity politics :gonk: as if it hasn't dealt directly with social issues all along.
TOS: interracial kiss, women as active crew members, bridge officer from the USSR, multiracial casting

TNG: strong female security officer, disabled black man as chief engineer, veiled discussion of Irish/Palestinian conflicts

DS9: interspecies crew, exploration of political ramifications of a post-genocide, black single parent.

Yeah where's my Lilly white bland as mayo depiction of the future loving SWJaysssss.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 28, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah where's my Lilly white bland as mayo depiction of the future loving SWJaysssss.

Voyager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 2, episodes 20-21, "The Maquis"

This Vulcan member of the Maquis is just everything wrong with TNG-era Vulcans. I'm sure you could write a Vulcan character who finds it logical to do what she's doing, that's not the problem, although I kept waiting for her to be revealed as a Romulan agent sowing chaos and discord, especially after her failed mind meld attempt.

But no, she's just a Vulcan, and played in the worst way, as blasé and hopelessly naive. I mean can you imagine if, for example, Spock or Sarek had coldly, logically decided to start killing people? They'd be terrifying.