Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

is it even canon that they're banging

:goonsay:

It's canon that you're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
BB rewatch: Gail has a Ron Paul 2008 sticker in his lab notebook.

I would love to see him next season, he was a fun character.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Konstantin posted:

My guess is that in the next season Jimmy will propose to Kim, she will say no and break up with him, and that will drive him into being Saul Goodman. It's pretty clear that Kim sees it as a "friends with benefits" arrangement, while Jimmy is a lot more serious about the relationship.

You don't usually move in with a friend with benefits.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Quite likely to see him once or twice, but I couldn't see how he gets any deeper role yet, given that in BB he only merely started to build on the lab when Walt crashed the party and Better Call Paul is still years before that. Perhaps we see him connected to that scholarship by Fring at some point.

However, was Gail's murder indirectly connected to Irene's revenge on Saul? We don't know.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't see this anywhere, season 4 is official
https://twitter.com/KateAurthur/status/879762629094326272

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well if BCS really is the third most popular drama on cable, that looks good for its future. I still think they should think about wrapping things up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Someone in BCS needs to grab their junk and yell "verb this".

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

Well if BCS really is the third most popular drama on cable, that looks good for its future. I still think they should think about wrapping things up.

It's the third most popular in that age group (25-54) not necessarily overall.

I don't see a reason to wrap things up after S4. I'd love to see maybe one more season pre-Breaking Bad (do you really need more Mike once he's on Gus's payroll for good?) and one season post-Breaking Bad. The revenge of Gene.

*possibly* one season that covers the Breaking Bad era more from the perspective of Saul and Mike in an abbreviated fashion, but I don't know how that would play out.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I didn't think they'd cancel it, but I thought there was a chance season 4 would be the last season. I imagine low ratings don't mean as much when Netflix is co-financing the series.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

GobiasIndustries posted:

Didn't see this anywhere,

I saw your avatar and my kneejerk reaction was, "What the hell did he tweet now?"

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
BCS shares a lot of story telling rhythms with breaking bad (when characters die, when others are introduced, certain decision making) and I'm pretty confident we'll see 5 seasons total

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Konstantin posted:

My guess is that in the next season Jimmy will propose to Kim, she will say no and break up with him, and that will drive him into being Saul Goodman. It's pretty clear that Kim sees it as a "friends with benefits" arrangement, while Jimmy is a lot more serious about the relationship.

...what?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Konstantin posted:

goons.txt

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

It's the third most popular in that age group (25-54) not necessarily overall.

I don't see a reason to wrap things up after S4. I'd love to see maybe one more season pre-Breaking Bad (do you really need more Mike once he's on Gus's payroll for good?) and one season post-Breaking Bad. The revenge of Gene.

*possibly* one season that covers the Breaking Bad era more from the perspective of Saul and Mike in an abbreviated fashion, but I don't know how that would play out.

This is what I was saying earlier in the thread. Use season 4 to transform fully to Saul. Maybe don't connect to breaking bad, but end with the same Saul that's in breaking bad. Then get Gene to reconnect with Kim somehow in Omaha.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

vermin posted:

I saw your avatar and my kneejerk reaction was, "What the hell did he tweet now?"

:smugdon:

Nichael posted:

I didn't think they'd cancel it, but I thought there was a chance season 4 would be the last season. I imagine low ratings don't mean as much when Netflix is co-financing the series.

Yeah I was wondering about that as well, I think we need at least 2 more seasons to wrap up the story in a satisfying way so I'm glad next season won't be the last unless literally nobody watches it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

This is what I was saying earlier in the thread. Use season 4 to transform fully to Saul. Maybe don't connect to breaking bad, but end with the same Saul that's in breaking bad. Then get Gene to reconnect with Kim somehow in Omaha.

Or they'd just find a way to shove a bunch of old Breaking Bad characters into the narrative. Ever wonder what happened to Jesse? He's working at a Hot Topic in the next store over, and Gene has to hide behind a trash can so he doesn't blow his cover. Marie also steals a cell phone from a kiosk.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Sinteres posted:

Or they'd just find a way to shove a bunch of old Breaking Bad characters into the narrative. Ever wonder what happened to Jesse? He's working at a Hot Topic in the next store over, and Gene has to hide behind a trash can so he doesn't blow his cover. Marie also steals a cell phone from a kiosk.

I'm down for this

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nail Rat posted:

That could be an interesting direction to take the series and still be able to circumvent the obvious aging of the main actors while still shoe horning in a few popular cameos. "While Walt and Hank were doing x, Gus, Saul and Mike were doing y."

I like it.

As well as the idea of a sequel and setting some of it after the events of BB, maybe as snippets or as part of the cold open, but then you have no Mike, Hector or Gus to work with so mileage may vary with how much you can do.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well remember Gene passed out so there's a good chance he'll be arrested if they can't find him for medical insurance and start digging into who he is. He was already scared of touching an emergency door, a hospital trying to identify him could be what lands him in court again.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't understand why everyone is in a rush to see this finish and possibly retell the plot of Breaking Bad.

I'd say it needs another two seasons at least to get Jimmy fully transformed into Saul. I'm not interested in seeing different sides of events we've already witnessed. It would be dramatically dull. And a full season of Gene sounds rubbish too. Maybe a full episode would be okay.

Then again I must be the only person who thinks this show is vastly superior to Breaking Bad.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I like it more in a lot of ways too.

I have no idea what cartel subplot you're all watching that poo poo was great. I especially liked the scene with nacho and his dad.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

maskenfreiheit posted:

is it even canon that they're banging

:goonsay:

I heard they just talked.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They watch To Kill a Mockingbird together. You can't get more intimate than that, it's the nerd equivalent of intercourse.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm sure people already noticed this, but I just did a rewatch of the W/Bob & David show that came out on Netflix a couple years back. During the first scene of the last episode, you can see Michael Mando (Nacho) in the audience pretty prominently in one shot. He went to support his castmate. :3:

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Hey thread: Jimmy doesn't ~transform~ into Saul. They're the same person. This is true with Walt/Heisenberg as well.

PriorMarcus posted:

Then again I must be the only person who thinks this show is vastly superior to Breaking Bad.

Yeah, you are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I'm sure people already noticed this, but I just did a rewatch of the W/Bob & David show that came out on Netflix a couple years back. During the first scene of the last episode, you can see Michael Mando (Nacho) in the audience pretty prominently in one shot. He went to support his castmate. :3:

In one of the podcasts, they mention a bunch of people from BCS went to a filming of /w Bob and David.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I thought season 1 of BCS was better than BB, but since then it hasn't been. BCS has too many disconnected plots at this point, it just kills the pacing. I mean why was Mike even in this season? He had no arc, other than meeting Gus. And meeting Gus is, so far, only only meaningful because we know who he is in BB. BCS no longer stands on its own like it did at the start.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think a criminal of the week type show would have been better. At least then I'd get to see a lawyer be a lawyer. The opening trial and the Chuck trial were my favorite parts of the show so far.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I mean why was Jimmy even in this season? He had no arc, other than killing Chuck. And killing Chuck is, so far, only only meaningful because we know he's dead in BB. BCS no longer stands on its own like it did at the start.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think a criminal of the week type show would have been better. At least then I'd get to see a lawyer be a lawyer. The opening trial and the Chuck trial were my favorite parts of the show so far.

Hard agree. This is an interesting show with some great moments, but I'd rather be watching that show. I mean maybe not quite criminal of the week, but something closer to the original concept where it would have been about Saul Goodman as an attorney with more comedic elements.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

SeXReX posted:

I mean why was Jimmy even in this season? He had no arc, other than killing Chuck. And killing Chuck is, so far, only only meaningful because we know he's dead in BB. BCS no longer stands on its own like it did at the start.

You really think Jimmy from before this season would've been okay with making an old lady cry? He hit rock bottom to where that was what he felt he had to do because of Chuck, but also ultimately his own choices (had he never switched the address last season, the tape would never have happened, he wouldn't have been suspended, and he wouldn't have ended up broke).

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I want more of him taking impressionable youth under his wing. The twinkle in the film student's eye as he realized what was happening in the music store needs to be explored further.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Man, just caught up and that season finale went off like a wet fart, it was so directionless and meandering and inevitable that I honestly felt like everything building up to it was wasted time, if admittedly well shot wasted time. I keep waiting for this show to actually get good, but I feel like it's baiting me.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I actually think this show does a really good job of showing lawyers being lawyers. A lot of lawyers, particularly those outside of criminal prosecution and criminal defense, rarely step inside a court room. It is a lot of meeting with clients, paper work, administrative hearings.

Of the four primary lawyers on the show, two (Chuck and Howard) are senior partners at a influential law firm and are rarely going to do any court work themselves. Kim is basically dedicated to 1-2 clients who need her for filings and what not, and not a lot of indication she's in a court room. Jimmy mainly does elder law and is just helping clients directly. Besides the bar hearing (which is kind of a court but kind of not) and S1 Public defender stuff, we don't see the court room that often and we really shouldn't.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Jimmy mainly does elder law and is just helping clients directly.

He's also suspended. I could stand a little more court room stuff to be honest but I think the show is just fine as it is.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

RedSpider posted:

Hey thread: Jimmy doesn't ~transform~ into Saul. They're the same person. This is true with Walt/Heisenberg as well.

I'm kinda tired of seeing this post every page. Especially considering Gilligan et al talk about "Jimmy becoming Saul" all the time on the podcast

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

I actually think this show does a really good job of showing lawyers being lawyers. A lot of lawyers, particularly those outside of criminal prosecution and criminal defense, rarely step inside a court room. It is a lot of meeting with clients, paper work, administrative hearings.

Of the four primary lawyers on the show, two (Chuck and Howard) are senior partners at a influential law firm and are rarely going to do any court work themselves. Kim is basically dedicated to 1-2 clients who need her for filings and what not, and not a lot of indication she's in a court room. Jimmy mainly does elder law and is just helping clients directly. Besides the bar hearing (which is kind of a court but kind of not) and S1 Public defender stuff, we don't see the court room that often and we really shouldn't.

Those were all choices the writers made though. Jimmy started the show as a public defender, and we know he'll end up as a criminal defense lawyer in the future, so it would have been entirely possible to have him stay on that path without the many diversions. I enjoy the show we got, but something that stuck closer to the core premise probably would have been more enjoyable and would have let them have Jimmy and Mike interact more, so I really don't understand why they got so deep in the woods on some of this stuff. It's almost like they wanted to find a way to do the unexpected in a prequel and forgot to tell a coherent story in the process.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 28, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe Saul decides to become a criminal defense lawyer when he gets in trouble and decides to represent himself so he doesn't get in trouble for tossing a turd on the highway

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If the Gene scenes are anything to go by Jimmy's best days are ahead of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I wouldn't have guessed it a few years ago but I think there's a pretty good chance that the main story wraps up with Jimmy just starting the strip mall practice. Walking into his Constitution office and sitting at the desk. It's Walt walking through the gang's meth lab and giving the vat a last caress mashed up with Kevin Spacey becoming the president. I don't really think that it will literally end like that, but at this point, the show is so good at doing what it's doing that I wouldn't feel cheated if we never see the full Saul Goodman routine.

Note that I literally think that the show's last shot will be Gene winking to the camera. Was it all a dream?

• Locked thread