Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Collateral Damage posted:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html is a pretty good tool for coordinating work across time zones. Tell people to use that.

lol fortigate's SSL inspection causes this site to not work.

Really, I don't blame this guy 100% for the gently caress-up, poo poo happens, sometimes you forget that some of our clients are 5 hours behind our time (half the year they are only 4! thanks DST..), but man did it make us look like bumbling idiots. I mean our company is a bunch of bumbling idiots other than 3-4 people, but drat try not to make it so obvious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My goodbye lunch had the 2 companies both telling me that their doors are always open if I want to come back. I still remember how the tone shifted after company A said that.
Company B then went: Like Company A. We also want to let you know that you are always welcome back. and if things turn out to be horrible at the new company. Call me and we'll get you right back on the payroll. We'll keep in touch.
He then went on to write a nice recommendation on my linkedin profile later that day.
The lunch turned out to be a little bit awkward. Some coworkers also said that they never saw 2 companies fighting over 1 person at a goodbye lunch.

I did like the goodbye gifts I got from both companies.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My last goodbye lunch was some awesome italian subs ordered in to the locked IT department. It was pretty dope.

We have a higher up leaving my current job, the "goodbye lunch" is at a local restaurant but no food or drinks are being provided. Pretty loving lame.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
n/m

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 27, 2017

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Whatever you do, get it all in writing, make it official policy, and make sure that it's automated and that violations require technical steps to defeat. Disable pst files, set archival rules on the server, and have a hard cutoff date.

Man I wish we had that here. We have an entire massive reserve of images because everything we touch as far as invoices and orders gets digitized (that's why I work on scanners half my drat weeks). And most people have a 10-50gb pst file to keep anything and everything even if the vast majority of it is just duplicates of the scans because they emailed them out/received them. The fun part is getting refreshes done while transferring these massive PSTs and it's basically a coin flip as to whether it's working or not when I open it with Outlook.

At least I'm making 25% more than I've ever made even if it is desktop support.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Update on the conversion salary situation nobody cares about except me:

The director admitted that unemployment in IT in Denver has dropped almost by half in the past 6 months and salaries have gone up. He's told me to do some research on salaries and bring it to him. So I've got 6 points of data saying it's in the mid-low 70s, and two points of data saying that if they got someone with experience to do specifically what I have been doing it would cost them at least 90k. He's also going to talk to HR to see if there is any relocation assistance available, I know they have it for some positions.

It still would be less than I'm hoping, but I could make it work. There's also a year end bonus everyone gets (I saw everyone get it when I started, so it's not made up), so that should cushion the blow a little bit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey that's news to me. Wife and I had been talking about moving to the Denver area a few years ago but then the place went bonkers and housing was getting into unaffordable territory and I wasn't having much luck finding employment opportunities.

So things are looking up there?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Dunno about going away lunches but here generally everyone chips in some cash for a present and card then the whole office ambushes them, same goes for birthdays (and there are CONSTANT birthdays).

It sounds pretty bah humbug but I've seen so many I don't (can't) put any money in and it's time out of the day, when my time comes I'm probably just going to bounce out the office because that's way too personal and awkward for my liking; "Speech! speech!" "Uhh I'm leaving because I hate it here, cheers for the booze?"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Denver: IT is under 4% unemployment, housing is still expensive, but if you're double income it's probably doable. Most stuff is C2H, but I think that's normal. If you have a good amount of experience you can probably find a direct position.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 27, 2017

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I have discovered an alarming number of devices in this organization with public IP addresses and user/password of admin/admin.

The option is there to change the default user/password, but it was never done when set up. Don't ask me why. And no, I doubt I'd be allowed to.

EDIT: The number is less than I thought, maybe 10 total. But some are labeled as PAYMENT DEVICE which is probably bad.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 27, 2017

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

I have discovered an alarming number of devices in this organization with public IP addresses and user/password of admin/admin.

The option is there to change the default user/password, but it was never done when set up. Don't ask me why. And no, I doubt I'd be allowed to.

EDIT: The number is less than I thought, maybe 10 total. But some are labeled as PAYMENT DEVICE which is probably bad.

username PAYMENT
password DEVICE

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are they at least firewalled?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thanks Ants posted:

Are they at least firewalled?

Yes, you theoretically need to be on the LAN to access their webpages.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Ahdinko posted:

CrowdStrike is probably a good shout for that, it detects stuff on a behaviour basis, and can isolate a machine using an agent installed on each endpoint. I haven't used it but had a demo of it at an Infosec exhibition a few weeks ago, according to virustotal they were the first to have definitions for it as well:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/027cc450ef5f8c5f653329641ec1fed91f694e0d229928963b30f6b0d7d3a745/analysis/

Yeah, I'm at a technology conference right now that they're here for, and they talked about that on a presentation this morning.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I've gone out of my way to keep my birthday secret at work. I don't talk about it or take the day off, and I convinved the office manager to take me off the monthly birthdays list she puts up in the breakroom. I don't have it available on any social media that I'm aware of either.

I get interrupted with stupid poo poo enough, I don't need well-wishers coming by my cube all day for crap like that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

username PAYMENT
password DEVICE

When I got here there was a camera running at another site with no password accessible from the internet. "Just easier I don't want to enter a password". Along with "I don't if some random person can watch the camera". Eventually the camera had a problem and when it was being recovered I updated the firmware, which didn't allow for blank usernames and passwords.

Still better than finding out the entire school district was using the default username and password for a camera system that was open to the internet. I couldn't get anyone to understand why letting anyone that wants to on the internet view over a dozen schools K-12 is a bad idea.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 27, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MANime in the sheets posted:

I've gone out of my way to keep my birthday secret at work. I don't talk about it or take the day off, and I convinved the office manager to take me off the monthly birthdays list she puts up in the breakroom. I don't have it available on any social media that I'm aware of either.

I get interrupted with stupid poo poo enough, I don't need well-wishers coming by my cube all day for crap like that.

Sounds like somebody's got a case of the birthdays!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pixaal posted:

When I got here there was a camera running at another site with no password accessible from the internet. "Just easier I don't want to enter a password". Along with "I don't if some random person can watch the camera". Eventually the camera had a problem and when it was being recovered I updated the firmware, which didn't allow for blank usernames and passwords.

Still better than finding out the entire school district was using the default username and password for a camera system that was open to the internet. I couldn't get anyone to understand why letting anyone that wants to on the internet view over a dozen schools K-12 is a bad idea.

Really? I would have thought that just repeating "CHILD PREDATORS" over and over would have done the trick.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Fool posted:

Really? I would have thought that just repeating "CHILD PREDATORS" over and over would have done the trick.

"Security issues are the job of security and the camera company not IT" Both of which basically felt it was too much effort to change, well more the lovely camera company did and security went I don't understand computers but if they say it's good it's good.

It's kind of hard to get much respect when you are fresh out of college and viewed as young and inexperienced. That entire place was full of terrible band-aids that were never actually done correctly afterwards.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I bring security issues up, get ignored, shove all that garbage the other side of a firewall and move on. If somebody wants to compromise it that's great, as long as it doesn't break things that are my problem.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Dicktrauma, interested to hear more about what's going on there when you're ready to talk.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Things not pissing me off. I don't work at this place

After reading the reviews of the company I am not that surprised.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wipro are like a modern-day workhouse

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

antisodachrist posted:

Things not pissing me off. I don't work at this place

After reading the reviews of the company I am not that surprised.
"Could take three months, could take six months, it could take five, six years, who knows,” said Harris.
Sweetie your business isn't going to last long enough for it to take that long if it takes that long, ya dig?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who indeed knows how long it takes to fumigate a building of a known size

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Pissing me off: spending thirty minutes trying to figure out the status of cases in my queue. Can I work this poo poo or not?

I deserve a medal for not screaming "are you high" in an office environment after this poo poo escalated yesterday.

not pissing me off - a recruiter who prefers texting for short communications. Yeah lady I'll accept your sunglasses smiley over three paragraphs of copy pasted "dear candidate" text any day. :confuoot:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I developed a bed bug infestation in my apartment earlier this year. It took two months to fully eradicate it, and that was with the infestation in the early stages. We're talking no more bugs than would cause a couple of bites to appear a few days a week.

These fuckers are increasingly resistant to fumigants. Their eggs are incredibly hardy (even more than the bugs) and hatch every 7-ish days. They lay them constantly once they reach adulthood, so you have a small window of just a few days window between when they hatch and when they're fertile. If you don't kill them before they lay more eggs, you just start the cycle all over again.

And they'll hide themselves and their eggs EVERYWHERE. Places where fumigants may not get to in heavy doses. Behind wall switches. In the holes of electrical sockets. In the creases of your sheets. Between the fibers of a quilt. Hell, you can fit multiple bugs in the head of a Philips screw, they're so tiny.

It's a good thing (for relative values of good) that I am apparently highly allergic to their bites. I started noticing welts and we got right on killing the bastards. I hate to think how much time it would have taken to clear them out if they were well-established.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
And then I just remembered our little office has had a bug problem... twice, by jove this sure is depressing.

No idea what they were or where they came from but people did start to notice they were getting bitten from something, I think all exterminators did was lay down sticky traps and they eventually went away.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Friend of mine works for wipro. But he's a desktop tech on permanent contract with with one of the largest companies in the state. I don't know if it's wipro or the company his contract is with, but he gets taken care of.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
We* get reports (and act on them) of the following fun stuff:

bedbugs
lice
active tuberculosis cases in small interview rooms/using the lobby phones
carpenter ants (minor irritation, but it's really annoying for them to come thumping down on you/your work area from the ceiling all day)
ants (non-carpenter) - more of this now that we have free coffee in every lobby (cue 3/4ths cup of sugar and creamer, remainder coffee, and spill both powders and liquids *everywhere*)
mice (especially in the facilities warehouse where the vending-machine supplies are stored)
many many many urine-related seating issues

Hmm, and a report just came in about a bird trapped in an elevator shaft. :munch:

* not me, our facilities staff, but I'm over there often enough to hear all kinds of fascinating things.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

We* get reports (and act on them) of the following fun stuff:

bedbugs
lice
active tuberculosis cases in small interview rooms/using the lobby phones
carpenter ants (minor irritation, but it's really annoying for them to come thumping down on you/your work area from the ceiling all day)
ants (non-carpenter) - more of this now that we have free coffee in every lobby (cue 3/4ths cup of sugar and creamer, remainder coffee, and spill both powders and liquids *everywhere*)
mice (especially in the facilities warehouse where the vending-machine supplies are stored)
many many many urine-related seating issues

Hmm, and a report just came in about a bird trapped in an elevator shaft. :munch:

* not me, our facilities staff, but I'm over there often enough to hear all kinds of fascinating things.

I just thought that your company finally took 'computer janitor' to its logical conclusion.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My biggest fear at the moment is being on call and something breaking down at 4AM and me sleeping through it. I'm a soft sleeper though and any sound will wake me up. But still, I wouldn't want something like that to happen

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

My biggest fear at the moment is being on call and something breaking down at 4AM and me sleeping through it. I'm a soft sleeper though and any sound will wake me up. But still, I wouldn't want something like that to happen

Welcome to the experience of being on-call overnight :yayclod:. And no, that worry never really goes away.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stop sending proposals to customers with obvious spelling and grammatical errors in :shepicide:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Apparently the bowls here heat up at twice the normal speed of the ones I usually bring into the office (i forgot today)

My thumb/finger is pretty burnt. Gah

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
We use WebEx for dialing into remote computers to troubleshoot. You generate a meeting number, send them to our website and have them type it in, it connects, when you're done you end the meeting.

I noticed that a co-worker, after getting off the phone with a customer, wrestled control of the pointer back and clicked the leave meeting button on the user's end. I asked why and she said it was so she could just keep reusing the same meeting number over and over, because it's too much trouble to just generate a new one each time. :psyduck:

Not pissing me off: halfway through my last week in frontline support before moving to escalations :dance:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Welp at least your highest priority has been made perfectly clear.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

Stop sending proposals to customers with obvious spelling and grammatical errors in :shepicide:

I work with one guy that starts every single email with "I just wanted to inform you that" and another that only uses apostrophes when making a word plural.

"Were unable to access any of your server's."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Welcome to the experience of being on-call overnight :yayclod:. And no, that worry never really goes away.

I go on call for the first time this coming week, and I am terrified of sleeping through a call. I sleep the sleep of the dead, and I'm not really sure what to do about it; I've slept through a fire alarm before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thanatosian posted:

I go on call for the first time this coming week, and I am terrified of sleeping through a call. I sleep the sleep of the dead, and I'm not really sure what to do about it; I've slept through a fire alarm before.

Keep the phone on you with vibrate as high as possible along with an annoying ringer on max. Might not work, but both sensations combined might.

How do you wake up for work, especially on >8 hours (or whatever you're used to)?