Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Is there an actual conclusion to Big O hiding in one of the Super Robot Wars games? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I just finished Lego Dimensions and loved how much Portal stuff is in the game, but I was not expecting them to have Johnathan Coulton write a song for the credits sung by GLaDOS. It was an extremely cool touch.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Welp, insta buy

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

that happened because you're on one of their new/preferred servers to help traffic people more towards those and not so much towards the already super full servers

the fun thing is that you can do that once per account so i just spent a couple hours rolling up a new character on one of those servers and fished to level 30 while listening to podcasts and now i've got 15 free days to spend on my actual character :v:

Neat. I'm only playing on that server because that's where the Euro Goons are.

I'm not sure if I like the XP boost on the server though, I'm skipping every sidequest that doesn't unlock a feature or give be better loot and I'm still about ten levels over what the MSQ wants.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Veotax posted:

Neat. I'm only playing on that server because that's where the Euro Goons are.

I'm not sure if I like the XP boost on the server though, I'm skipping every sidequest that doesn't unlock a feature or give be better loot and I'm still about ten levels over what the MSQ wants.

You can do those sidequests on any other classes/jobs you might feel like leveling at some point. Purely by numbers sidequests aren't the fastest way to level, but they do bring variety.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ilmucche posted:

But why don't we shoot the gundams into the sun?

Because Gundams are actually good and cool.

John Murdoch posted:

Is there an actual conclusion to Big O hiding in one of the Super Robot Wars games? :(

Big O shows up in like four or five of the SRW games, none of which have been translated. In one of them you can even recruit Beck to become your ally. Unfortunately I can't read Japanese so I can't speak about the story and it's conclusion in these games. But given their preference for actual conclusions of ambiguous things that happened, I assume it ends after you beat the guy in the Big Fau instead of continuing on. Though from what little I've read, apparently Schwarzwald tends to be the main antagonist which is fine because he was pretty cool.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Just finished crackdown and I loved it, things were so crazy by the end with so many explosions and rockets and flying corpses.

Best bit : getting the rocket launcher that for all intents and purposes is as fast as most machineguns and watching my explosive skill rocket (lol)

also getting to the top of the agency tower and jumping off into the water for two achievements.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lord Lambeth posted:

Mad Max is a pretty bog standard open world game by all accounts but it's great if you're a fan of the movies like I am.

Including a photo mode was also genius and will probably extend my playtime

Mad Max owns, but a word of warning, don't try for 100% of anything before you go to the end boss. There is no New Game +, but at the end you get Max's jacket, shotgun, and interceptor making them useless if you've cleared everything. This includes the scavenging locations, which affect the spawns of Roadkill.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Mad Max owns, but a word of warning, don't try for 100% of anything before you go to the end boss. There is no New Game +, but at the end you get Max's jacket, shotgun, and interceptor making them useless if you've cleared everything. This includes the scavenging locations, which affect the spawns of Roadkill.

Also, getting all the upgrades everywhere kinda eliminates the scarcity challenges in the game anyway. I'm doing a second run through and not upgrading any fortresses, and its actually fun to have to worry about gas/water/etc again.

I'll always be super glad I played MM before Shadow of Mordor. I would have never stuck with Mad Max's painfully inferior version of the combat had I played SoM first.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The fact you can't reset the outposts in mad Max like you can in Crackdown is criminal. Someone better have lost their job over that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Super Robot Wars Z -Z3 all feature Big O fairly heavily and do indeed give it resolutions, though they also rewrite the plot a fair bit.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Drunken Baker posted:

The fact you can't reset the outposts in mad Max like you can in Crackdown is criminal. Someone better have lost their job over that.

I know this is being nitpicky, but why would you wish someone to lose their job? They gotta live too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Horizon I was going up a small mountain pass right in the middle of the map for a collectible, and one of Aloys scripted lines had as strong echo, which was really cool attention to detail. I love that Aloy has those little outbursts as well, like sliding down a cliff she'll be all "SO MUCH FOR BEING CAREFUL:gonk:!" as she slides to her fall damage, or a smaller slope will give "This was much easier when I was a child..." Also when enemies stop seeking her during an encounter she sighs in relief and goes "That's right... I'm not even here..."

Those lines really characterise her well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

In Horizon I was going up a small mountain pass right in the middle of the map for a collectible, and one of Aloys scripted lines had as strong echo, which was really cool attention to detail. I love that Aloy has those little outbursts as well, like sliding down a cliff she'll be all "SO MUCH FOR BEING CAREFUL:gonk:!" as she slides to her fall damage, or a smaller slope will give "This was much easier when I was a child..." Also when enemies stop seeking her during an encounter she sighs in relief and goes "That's right... I'm not even here..."

Those lines really characterise her well.

One of my favourites is when you Hijack one of the Mount-types from behind and Aloy will say something like "don't kick... don't kick...".

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In Red Faction Guerrilla, I was wondering why trucks kept zipping up near me and honking at me while I was in the middle of nowhere looking for ores.

...The game will deliver you a vehicle if there aren't any nearby. Tremendously convenient!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

VanSandman posted:

I know this is being nitpicky, but why would you wish someone to lose their job? They gotta live too.

World needs ditch diggers. If you aren't good at a job, you shouldn't be doing it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Johnny Aztec posted:

World needs ditch diggers. If you aren't good at a job, you shouldn't be doing it.
What if they're not good at digging ditches, though?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Horizon: Zero Dawn: Is it just me or are the Cauldrons way harder than the rest of the game? The end battles are really tricky as they are at the back of a large enemy gauntlet, so your already drained by the time you get to the core, and there is no room to move to try to get away from them effectively as they are tiny rooms. (Really Rho? A room with 5 watchers, 2 longlegs and a ravager, halfway through the dungeon? gently caress you!) Also the Snapmaw/Ravager fight in the end was so difficult, whenever I tried to line up a shot to the canisters on the snapmaw to take it down quickly the ravager would come out of nowhere and do a lot of damage, and I did use traps, but all they're good for right now is stunning enemies as the critical hit, even upgraded, only does a small amount of their max health even if it is much higher damage than other attacks. That one was only a level 12, not looking forward to the other three!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Johnny Aztec posted:

Actually the Ditch Witch has made ditch diggers obsolete for decades. :capitalism:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Mann posted:

Actually the Ditch Witch has made ditch diggers obsolete for decades. :capitalism:

What about all those unemployed Ditch Warlocks?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

VanSandman posted:

That's getting off light. They oughta be in prison.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Strudel Man posted:

What if they're not good at digging ditches, though?

They can scrub toliets or something I dunno

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

They can scrub toliets or something I dunno

Yeah and after 2 years, they get a brush.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn: Is it just me or are the Cauldrons way harder than the rest of the game? The end battles are really tricky as they are at the back of a large enemy gauntlet, so your already drained by the time you get to the core, and there is no room to move to try to get away from them effectively as they are tiny rooms. (Really Rho? A room with 5 watchers, 2 longlegs and a ravager, halfway through the dungeon? gently caress you!) Also the Snapmaw/Ravager fight in the end was so difficult, whenever I tried to line up a shot to the canisters on the snapmaw to take it down quickly the ravager would come out of nowhere and do a lot of damage, and I did use traps, but all they're good for right now is stunning enemies as the critical hit, even upgraded, only does a small amount of their max health even if it is much higher damage than other attacks. That one was only a level 12, not looking forward to the other three!

It's not just you. The Snapmaw and Ravager fight was ridiculous.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I just found an MDK2 reference in Mass Effect: Andromeda and now I'm happy. I didn't think Bioware even remembered they made that game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do like the tension in how those fights begin though. You climb the little tower, hack into it, then ohhhhh poo poo... the towers are sinking, there's nowhere to hide, that BARRIERS GOING DOWN I'M GOING TO DIE!!! :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, those are kind of a pain. You can seed the room with traps before releasing anything though, and next time you'll probably have better gear and be able to put status effects on the bots.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I do like the tension in how those fights begin though. You climb the little tower, hack into it, then ohhhhh poo poo... the towers are sinking, there's nowhere to hide, that BARRIERS GOING DOWN I'M GOING TO DIE!!! :v:

Wait, you don't set all your traps around the room before starting to help thin/control the crowd?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do, but even with the higher number of traps that I can carry some of them don't trigger, or if they do I'm too far away. Some enemies don't seem bothered by some traps as well, so some go to waste.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Inferior posted:

I just found an MDK2 reference in Mass Effect: Andromeda and now I'm happy. I didn't think Bioware even remembered they made that game.

Was the reference that you could be playing a good game?

No, wait.

Darn it.

In all seriousness, what was the reference?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

There's a comet you can find called the "Jim Dandy".

The description when you scan it is: "An unusual combination of elements, but they hold together reasonably well. Potentially difficult for a novice to navigate."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BioEnchanted posted:

I do, but even with the higher number of traps that I can carry some of them don't trigger, or if they do I'm too far away. Some enemies don't seem bothered by some traps as well, so some go to waste.

I've never seen traps that the player can set used well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Black Desert Online is a Korean MMO.
That's enough to make me run away.

However, there's no sub and the combat is seriously fun. They just released a Monk class that is all about punching things, kicking their friends and punching things harder.
That being said, the game has a mountain of issues not least of which is a crappy UI and a lot of information overload.

But those punches...

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inzombiac posted:

Black Desert Online is a Korean MMO.
That's enough to make me run away.

However, there's no sub and the combat is seriously fun. They just released a Monk class that is all about punching things, kicking their friends and punching things harder.
That being said, the game has a mountain of issues not least of which is a crappy UI and a lot of information overload.

But those punches...

I could have sworn the game got shut down due to a Cease and Decist order from Matt Groening's lawyers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Screaming Idiot posted:

I could have sworn the game got shut down due to a Cease and Decist order from Matt Groening's lawyers.

No way. Mr. Groening gave Pearl Abyss all the rights because they made such a good Bart.
Toe to tip, that's a Bart!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
EAT PANTS

LIBA IT YOUR BIRFDAY

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Been replaying some Valkyria Chronicles and one thing makes me grin like a moron every time. You can shoot enemies in the head for extra damage, which is pretty important for Scouts with their piddly little rifles and the like, but I will never, ever get tired of doing it with an anti-tank missile. Especially because there are ways that units' accuracy can go up and under the right circumstances you can drop an anti-tank missile into an enemy's head from across the map with pinpoint accuracy. It's a tiny little thing but I love doing it.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

theshim posted:

Been replaying some Valkyria Chronicles and one thing makes me grin like a moron every time. You can shoot enemies in the head for extra damage, which is pretty important for Scouts with their piddly little rifles and the like, but I will never, ever get tired of doing it with an anti-tank missile. Especially because there are ways that units' accuracy can go up and under the right circumstances you can drop an anti-tank missile into an enemy's head from across the map with pinpoint accuracy. It's a tiny little thing but I love doing it.

Unloading into an elite trooper's head point blank with a storm trooper is nothing short of music.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm still bummed that Semi-FPS Turn-based Strategy RPG's never really took of as the Valkyria Chronicle sequels got shunted off to the dying PSP with a healthy dose of literal anime high-school drama. It was a cool addition to a genre which still feels like it's just mostly bumbling together elements from past Fire Emblem games and XCOM with nothing else really being even tried anymore. There's so much that could be tried but there's just no ambition on the developer side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

moosecow333 posted:

Unloading into an elite trooper's head point blank with a storm trooper is nothing short of music.

The sound design for that deep, booming THUNK each time you score a critical hit via headshot :discourse: