Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Hedrigall posted:

I read a study that said the median age people stop listening to new music artists is about 32 or 33.

These studies are probably completely invalidated now that we live in a world with streaming services. When I was younger I discovered most new music through making new friends: so it totally makes sense that as you got older and your social circles stratified you were less likely to be introduced to new stuff.

edit: lol whoops just saw the post that says the study actually used spotify data. forget it!!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

These studies are probably completely invalidated now that we live in a world with streaming services. When I was younger I discovered most new music through making new friends: so it totally makes sense that as you got older and your social circles stratified you were less likely to be introduced to new stuff.

edit: lol whoops just saw the post that says the study actually used spotify data. forget it!!

I think its a mentality thing. Even in the Old Days, a lot of people found out about new artists through listening to the radio, but what changes is the mentality - teenagers hearing a brand new artist releasing a new single on the radio are more likely to go "this is cool!" while older people are more likely to respond to that exact same scenario with "this isn't even music! give me whatever was popular when I was 16!"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Polo-Rican posted:

I think a major part of it is what happens when you're 32 or 33? At that age, a lot of people are having children or are busy with other obligations that they just don't have time to check out new music. I'm not saying this is the case with everyone, but I know enough parents that for the most part, it's tougher for them to discover new music.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think a major part of it is what happens when you're 32 or 33? At that age, a lot of people are having children or are busy with other obligations that they just don't have time to check out new music. I'm not saying this is the case with everyone, but I know enough parents that for the most part, it's tougher for them to discover new music.

Having children does seem a major component but it's also I think people just stop caring. These same people don't stop reading/watching the news, seeing new adult films, etc. there is just something different and more youthful about music that goes with age for the majority of people, kids or not. Basically to me, children are used as an excuse more than the reality that they just don't give a gently caress and/or don't get the same excitement or feeling from new artist. I also think when new musicians start to look like kids to you, that makes it hard to give a poo poo about whatever they have to say musically even if it's great.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's also the age where when you hear about a concert, your first thoughts tend to be "will there be seating?" and "will I have to wait in line?"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

T Bowl posted:

These same people don't stop reading/watching the news, seeing new adult films, etc.

Most parents I know do see far fewer adult films, at least in theaters, because they don't have time to go to the movies and when they do its more often kids movies, with their kids.

Watching the news is a purely passive activity, it's not really the same thing as actively looking for new music to get into, and for most people they see it as having a more practical application to their life.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Earwicker posted:

Most parents I know do see far fewer adult films, at least in theaters, because they don't have time to go to the movies and when they do its more often kids movies, with their kids.

Watching the news is a purely passive activity, it's not really the same thing as actively looking for new music to get into, and for most people they see it as having a more practical application to their life.

You can have on a discover playlist or some playlist of anything on while you cook dinner, change lovely diapers, fold clothing, whatever... music can be even more passive listening than news tbh. I play games sometimes with music mixed in low under the sound effects... but my mind is mostly on the game. I do this and sometimes hear new stuff this way and go "drat I have to give this a closer listen later" and mark it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My brother was one of the biggest music fans I knew. He saw Radiohead in the early 2000s, saw Built to Spill several times, got me into Doves and Death Cab and more way before they got big, etc. Then in his...mid-20s, I guess? He just kind of stopped paying attention to new music altogether. It sucked because we used to be able to talk music and then we really couldn't that much anymore.

I'm 26 (almost 27) now and I can't imagine a world in which I no longer pay attention to new music. Even when I had more commitments than I do now and was much busier, I'd still make time to seek it out and go to shows and stuff. Music is just that important to me.

My dad was born in the 50s and I guess he stopped paying attention to music after 1970 or something. The Beatles is still his favorite band today. When Bowie died, my dad said he was never really aware of any of Bowie's music. I don't want to get like that. Being immersed in the music world is something I enjoy and have since I was much younger. I don't see myself giving that up, even if I have kids or something. I'd probably feel like I was failing them if I didn't expose them to quality new music throughout their childhood.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

My dad was born in the 50s and I guess he stopped paying attention to music after 1970 or something. The Beatles is still his favorite band today. When Bowie died, my dad said he was never really aware of any of Bowie's music. I don't want to get like that. Being immersed in the music world is something I enjoy and have since I was much younger. I don't see myself giving that up, even if I have kids or something. I'd probably feel like I was failing them if I didn't expose them to quality new music throughout their childhood.

Yeah but what happens when they demand to hear the Frozen soundtrack 50 times in a row instead of lol dad's rock bullshit! ;)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
A trend I've noticed from a lot of my friends, who are all in their late 30s early 40s, is that they've stopped listening to music altogether. It's mostly just sports radio or talk radio. Maybe some podcasts.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

T Bowl posted:

You can have on a discover playlist or some playlist of anything on while you cook dinner, change lovely diapers, fold clothing, whatever... music can be even more passive listening than news tbh. I play games sometimes with music mixed in low under the sound effects... but my mind is mostly on the game. I do this and sometimes hear new stuff this way and go "drat I have to give this a closer listen later" and mark it.

Yeah of course and I do this, but then music is my job so I make it a point to do so, and that's likely to be true of anyone who's a hardcore music fan or a musician or music journalist or music teacher or whatever, for as long as that stays a big part of their lives.

But for most people, they aren't going to think to do something like that because music doesn't have the same practical impact on their life that, say, news about the new healthcare bill is going to. It's a luxury. Whereas "watching the news" is not only passive but also generally considered a necessary activity for any functioning adult.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I use to go to shows with a group of friends for awhile, but everyone hit their 30s and vanished. Kids, work, new hobbies is what I kept getting. I got to all my shows alone every year now, I might get lucky to get one friend out once a year.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slandible posted:

I use to go to shows with a group of friends for awhile, but everyone hit their 30s and vanished. Kids, work, new hobbies is what I kept getting. I got to all my shows alone every year now, I might get lucky to get one friend out once a year.
I've been going to the majority of shows alone since I became single almost 2 years ago. I know people who are into a lot of the artists I go see, but they usually have other commitments or something and I don't want to depend on their availability to enjoy myself. I have gone to some shows with friends, though, and sometimes I'll see people I know at shows.

It's not like several years ago, though, where I'd consistently see the same group of people I knew at every single show or almost every show at least.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
My wife will go with me half the time otherwise I am alone because I moved to a new city and the couple of friends I've made and became close enough to ask to go to concerts like terrible music or don't really listen to music much at all. It sucks, especially seeing and knowing of all the people who do show up at said concerts that you know you could be good friends with but you can't just do that out of the blue.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
31, single, and going to shows is a big hobby of mine. I discover most new artists through trolling local indie venue calendars, checking out bands that look sort of interesting on Spotify, and adding the concert dates to my Google calendar. Either I really dig the artist and buy a ticket in advance or leave it as a gametime decision. This leads to me seeing some mediocre shows every now and then, but mostly I'm just glad to get out of the house, and sometimes I end up seeing a really great show and gaining a new favorite artist.

Otherwise, I discover artists by seeing what friends are listening to on Spotify (found Vatican Shadow this way), Shazaming things at bars (found Neon Indian this way; not new, but discovered it was Hall & Oates I was always hearing, and gave Cabaret Voltaire another shot this way), giving friends' recommendations a chance (discovered Barn Owl, TOPS, and Hoops this way), and discovery through podcast (Alvvays, Gwenno, MUNA, La Luz, Tacocat, Boy Harsher, Chastity Belt).

I guess I'd credit Spotify with being the most important thing that's helped me find new bands I like. It's so easy to type in an artist's name, and see if they're any good. I got a subscription last year and last.fm tells me I haven't listened to that many tracks since college.

My general advice would be to listen to what you want, and let new artists come naturally — discovering new sounds should be fun and exciting; it shouldn't feel a chore. Otherwise, the least :effort: ways to discover new sounds are Spotify playlists (though beware) or something like the All Songs Considered podcast or a community radio show.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Same as you but google play music :v:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BonoMan posted:

A trend I've noticed from a lot of my friends, who are all in their late 30s early 40s, is that they've stopped listening to music altogether. It's mostly just sports radio or talk radio. Maybe some podcasts.

Oh man radio is horrendous. But I do spend a much larger proportion of my time listening to podcasts, Youtube discussion shows and audiobooks than I have in the past.

A quick look at my last fm stats shows in the last couple of years my songs per year count has been declining a lot!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

I feel like I have seen other cover art in this style but can't seem to remember them. Anyone have anymore? I like it.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

DasNeonLicht posted:

31, single, and going to shows is a big hobby of mine. I discover most new artists through trolling local indie venue calendars, checking out bands that look sort of interesting on Spotify, and adding the concert dates to my Google calendar. Either I really dig the artist and buy a ticket in advance or leave it as a gametime decision. This leads to me seeing some mediocre shows every now and then, but mostly I'm just glad to get out of the house, and sometimes I end up seeing a really great show and gaining a new favorite artist.

Otherwise, I discover artists by seeing what friends are listening to on Spotify (found Vatican Shadow this way), Shazaming things at bars (found Neon Indian this way; not new, but discovered it was Hall & Oates I was always hearing, and gave Cabaret Voltaire another shot this way), giving friends' recommendations a chance (discovered Barn Owl, TOPS, and Hoops this way), and discovery through podcast (Alvvays, Gwenno, MUNA, La Luz, Tacocat, Boy Harsher, Chastity Belt).

I guess I'd credit Spotify with being the most important thing that's helped me find new bands I like. It's so easy to type in an artist's name, and see if they're any good. I got a subscription last year and last.fm tells me I haven't listened to that many tracks since college.

My general advice would be to listen to what you want, and let new artists come naturally — discovering new sounds should be fun and exciting; it shouldn't feel a chore. Otherwise, the least :effort: ways to discover new sounds are Spotify playlists (though beware) or something like the All Songs Considered podcast or a community radio show.

Pretty much exactly where I'm at. I use to have a group to go to shows with, but they slowly kept backing off to eventually it just became myself going alone for the past few years. It has its perks like going in when you want and not having to commit to one spot to stand. I really like being able to just move away from lovely groups without drawing any attention. What does suck is down time between bands. I hate not having anyone to talk to and having to resort to staring at my phone until someone comes on stage sucks.

I too have just ran through venue calender's and jump at 10 dollar shows with little knowledge in slow months like summer. It is like roulette, sometimes you can end up finding something really amazing or a total bomb.

It bums me out to see friends move away from live music, but it's still the biggest high I can get from doing anything. Nothing ever even comes close to a good live show and I continue to hunt them down as much as I can.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Although there is an age component I think its just an interest component as much as anything: there are people who are really into music, and people who just aren't. Even in my younger/teenage years, there was plenty of variation in those who just passively listened to music, and those who were actually passionate about it.

My dad, who's 67, still listens to new music. Just a few days ago he discovered Future Islands and he was on a Franz Ferdinand stint for a while.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cyril Sneer posted:

Although there is an age component I think its just an interest component as much as anything: there are people who are really into music, and people who just aren't. Even in my younger/teenage years, there was plenty of variation in those who just passively listened to music, and those who were actually passionate about it.

My dad, who's 67, still listens to new music. Just a few days ago he discovered Future Islands and he was on a Franz Ferdinand stint for a while.
My dad, who is also 67, is not as cool as your dad and I wish your dad was my dad.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My dad recently got into Andy Williams, so he's still listening to new music.

Just not anything recent.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Man Everything Now hype is rolling so hard it finally got me to appreciate Reflektor. Can't wait for that album

Edit: and lol @ this being the song where you realize Win Butler is too on the nose sometimes.

The kids are all standing with their arms folded tight
Well, I know it's heavy, I know it ain't light
But how you gonna lift it with your arms folded tight?

A whole song whining about people not writing letters anymore

"I don't wanna live in America no more"

We fell in love when I was 19 and now we're staring at our screens

He's always had moments of cringeworthy unsubtley

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 24, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I like both the tracks but I hate Win Butlers talk singing on Creature Comfort.

Both songs have me extremely curious to hear what Bangalter plugs into those spots from Reflektor where you're like "That's totally James Murphy".

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Been ripping through a lot of music lately, these are my recent standouts:

Algiers - The Underside of Power
Hard hitting funk/soul/rock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xDDCxodgIs

Amelia Airhorn
A mixtape project between Skylar Spence/Saint Pepsi and The Knocks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEMo4-nBaec

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q37IAlsw8r8

I think I just had a spontaneous indiegasm

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I gave my Dad (who is nearing 60) a rip of all my music and now he's into Of Montreal, Man Man, and Dr Dog. I'm sure it's just lack of exposure to new stuff for most people, so give your elderly parents new music.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My parents just ignored the entirety of music from the time they went to college up until the mid-90s. Best I've gotten them into is Pearl Jam and like, RHCP.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Rhcp? They should have put you up for adoption.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I gave my Dad (who is nearing 60) a rip of all my music and now he's into Of Montreal, Man Man, and Dr Dog. I'm sure it's just lack of exposure to new stuff for most people, so give your elderly parents new music.
The only music I've exposed my dad to that he's actually been into was Cash Money Millionaires and Juvenile and other New Orleans rap stuff in the early 2000s, which is weird as hell considering what he usually listens to.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

This is great, and El Goodo is great, and I should've listened to them sooner. Coyote is a wonderful wannabe-beatles/Stone Roses album.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I think a large part of this discussion that I haven't seen mentioned is how closely music is tied with identity as a teenager. Like, the bands I listened to, somehow, informed who I was as a person. Liking one band over another, or one genre over another, meant something to me. At 30, I now no longer have that driving me to discover new bands, or feel the same passion that I felt when I discovered a new artist as a teen.

However, I now have more money than I did as a teenager/early-20s, so I am seeing more bands these days. However, a lot of these bands are bands my younger self would have wanted to go see.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ4M0XDfo5A

The Indelicates have released their new album, Juniverbrecher . Bursting with slightly angry songs about Jimmy Savile, Brexit, and housing estate poltergeists. Plus if you have £30,000 to hand, you can pre-order the 'Martin Shkreli Complete Bastard Edition', and get sole rights to the recording.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Algiers - The Underside of Power is probably my favorite album of the year so far. I wasn't sure when I heard the first song but I just listened to the whole thing and now I can't stop listening to it. Highly recommend checking it out, especially if politics has bummed you out for the past year.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Live At Five! posted:

Algiers - The Underside of Power is probably my favorite album of the year so far. I wasn't sure when I heard the first song but I just listened to the whole thing and now I can't stop listening to it. Highly recommend checking it out, especially if politics has bummed you out for the past year.

holy poo poo this is really good

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I was hesitant to post this for fear of sounding like a shill, but my friends put out a legitimately solid indie/hip-hop/soul crossover album a few weeks back.

So far Catch You Later is my favorite. Bender, The Beast Must Die, and Madman are highlights of varying genres.

https://soundcloud.com/soultanz/sets/tangents

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

resident posted:

I was hesitant to post this for fear of sounding like a shill, but my friends put out a legitimately solid indie/hip-hop/soul crossover album a few weeks back.

So far Catch You Later is my favorite. Bender, The Beast Must Die, and Madman are highlights of varying genres.

https://soundcloud.com/soultanz/sets/tangents

This is pretty good, sounds like an Anderson Paak b-sides album. I mean that as high praise because Malibu was my favourite album of last year

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

same, except that my mum's favourite song is nancy from now on by father john misty and my dad has a horrific obsession with the 1975

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Live At Five! posted:

Yeah this album is so cool. I love the title track so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZXzmM1smM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Check out their debut album too y'all, esp. "Irony Utility Pretext" and "Black Eunuch" and "And When You Fall" as I probably told you to do two years ago :colbert: