Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DTTB had two seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
You need to be really careful to not watch them out of order though. The broadcast order was hosed up and it's hosed up on Netflix as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eezee posted:

You need to be really careful to not watch them out of order though. The broadcast order was hosed up and it's hosed up on Netflix as well.

Ugh yeah, it's the worst. You really have to watch it in order because the few arcing plots just make no sense otherwise and peoples jobs keep changing.

Happy Endings was also aired out of order but it's not so bad, and the network did it on purpose as they wanted the show to get moving a bit quicker and pick up an audience. This failed, but Happy Endings is so good it reminds me I should try get my wife into it.

I guess the 20s/30s not settling down thing could also apply to Always Sunny and The League if you've never watched them. The League fell apart in the latter few years, but s2 and s3 were especially good.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

http://mindy-tv.blogspot.com/2013/01/correct-episode-order-of-dont-trust.html

It's insane how mangled the broadcast order of DTTB is

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I genuinely don't get why they gently caress up the order for so many shows. I remember back when Almost Human was a thing and they hosed it up so there was no arc, when you watch it in order viola, it's a coherent show. What's their thinking behind it? It always seems to be on shows they don't give a gently caress about and want to kill but that's shooting yourself in the foot. Am I missing some boardroom logic here?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember with Firefly the studio wanted more action oriented episodes up front to get viewers hooked

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I think it's always execs deciding "I say THIS episode is the strongest, run it first/during sweeps, storylines and payoffs be damned." (Looking at Almost Human's run order, the first episode aired after the pilot was the sexbots episode. It's Fox, so you can put two and two together on why that one got thrust forward.) In the cases of Happy Endings/Don't Trust/etc. it probably comes down to network indifference in a low-rated show/disbelief that a sitcom can have a narrative throughline.

Finding out on DVD that the second episode of Clerks: The Animated Series really did devote an entire act to flashing back to the pilot episode - which ABC opted not to air - blew my teen mind. I watched them when they originally aired and thought it was just a fake flashback gag like the rest of the episode, I had no idea they were actually going for a big, ridiculous meta joke from the jump!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lampsacus posted:

Can anybody help me with scratching the New Girl/How I met your mother itch? 20s/early 30s friends before the settling down vibe. I'm cruising through Master of None s2 and the latest Kimmy Schmitt. Thanks in advance!

You should see a doctor about that.

Mameluke posted:

Don't Trust The B In Apartment 23? It is just one season, though.

It does have the greatest ten second sequence in television history, though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 27, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Croatoan posted:

I genuinely don't get why they gently caress up the order for so many shows. I remember back when Almost Human was a thing and they hosed it up so there was no arc, when you watch it in order viola, it's a coherent show. What's their thinking behind it? It always seems to be on shows they don't give a gently caress about and want to kill but that's shooting yourself in the foot. Am I missing some boardroom logic here?

listen, guy who made the show, i think we know a little more about the thing you made than you do. we've been sitting around this elongated table for 25 years.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

It does have the greatest ten second sequence in television history, though.

It's been a couple years since I watched the show (I thought it was 1 full season as opposed to 2 small ones) but I love how you can really start this gif from any frame.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Don't Trust The B In Apartment 23? It is just one season, though.

I'll never get how that show didn't catch on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The title is too long. It's like A Guy, a Girl, and a Pizza Place. Who the gently caress wants to say that? Also, it has Bitch in it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

The title is too long. It's like A Guy, a Girl, and a Pizza Place. Who the gently caress wants to say that? Also, it has Bitch in it.

I think this, and I had a friend be shocked about the sex scene in the opening of the pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up, if you noped out of Preacher in season 1 the first two episode of season 2 have aired and it seems like they've definitely listened to criticisms. So maybe check it out again? The cast has been pared down to just the essentials (Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy) so no more meandering subplots and with them actually being on the road trip the plot is moving along much faster.

Now, that could all change and the rest of the season could be them just farting around the Big Easy but seeing as the first two episodes kept up a brisk pace I doubt it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah Preacher this year is cool so far

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MiddleOne posted:

For real, everyone I have introduced it to loves it. It's definitely Dawson's finest work.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Dawson, Dawson and Gretchen are finally getting together in my rewatch, and the show is at its peak.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

MiddleOne posted:

Its original lead-in as a midseason replacement was Modern Family - while definitely a vote of confidence from ABC, I doubt it was building a ton of viewership there. Then the next year, they paired it up with Happy Endings and put them up against Fox's New Girl/Mindy Project block, one of the (maybe the only?) other young-skewing sitcom pairings on network TV. (And BOTH blocks were up against ratings juggernaut NCIS Los Angeles, which, again, probably not a ton of audience overlap there? But it couldn't have helped things.)

In short, it wasn't a great fit for ABC's lineup to begin with, and then the only real spot where it made sense on their schedule put it in direct competition with the only shows that were remotely similar. If it had stayed at Fox, where it was developed, it probably would've had at least a slightly better chance at finding an audience.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't Trust the Bitch was amazing television, Kristen Ritter brought her A game to every episode and James Van Der Beek is a goddamned national treasure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

It was part of that span of time where ABC had a bunch of shows I enjoyed watching, and loving murdered them all after one season to make way for more Shondaland.
Now they have zero shows I am interested in, and I am never not amazed that The Middle is still on the air, a show that nobody I know, or they know, has ever watched.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know it's probably fine but I am so not looking forward to watching this "virtual reality first person shooter" episode of X-files.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ahahahaha. Strap in for that one, buddy.

Rhyno posted:

Don't Trust the Bitch was amazing television, Kristen Ritter brought her A game to every episode and James Van Der Beek is a goddamned national treasure.

Not to mention Eric Andre at what is probably as close to a normal person as he gets.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Learning Eric Andre was in the cast was actually what made me click the show on Netflix in the first place. :shobon:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just wanna add to the Don't Trust the B love. A tremendously underappreciated show.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Don't trust the B is justified entirely by the commercial that ties it into Breaking Bad.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

raditts posted:

Ahahahaha. Strap in for that one, buddy.

Not to mention Eric Andre at what is probably as close to a normal person as he gets.

One of my favorite Eric Andre stories is how Don't Trust the B ran around the same time Eric Andre Show premiered and ABC was sweating bullets trying not to acknowledge its existence

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lurdiak posted:

I know it's probably fine but I am so not looking forward to watching this "virtual reality first person shooter" episode of X-files.

Oh that episode owns hard for all the reasons you think it does. Enjoy!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Krysten Ritter was a good guest. He made her watch two girls, one cup.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I liked Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B and caught every episode first-run, therefore they were cancelled. Sorry everyone.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

raditts posted:

I am never not amazed that The Middle is still on the air, a show that nobody I know, or they know, has ever watched.

My parents and grandmother are all about The Middle; I just watched a few eps with them over the weekend. It's...okay? Surprisingly good? Well cast, slickly produced, occasionally legitimately clever - but that's pretty true of just about every network sitcom these days (Outside of the CBS multicam lineup, of course.)

I am legit surprised that it was renewed for the coming season, though, it's been a bubble show its entire run. Guess that syndication money is incentive enough.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

McSpanky posted:

I liked Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B and caught every episode first-run, therefore they were cancelled. Sorry everyone.

Don't Trust the B died too early for sure. Happy Endings probably went one season too long as it is. That last season was just not very good at all. Even moreso since I thought it was the best comedy on TV before that season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I just want more Elisha Cuthbert on my screen. As a horney 15 year old, I had the biggest crush on her when she first graced the screen.

Her comedy chops are surprisingly good too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's only room for one blonde 30 something woman in comedy at a time and right now it's Kristen Bell. Hollywood sort of self corrects and puts people like Cuthbert out of work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
episode 8 of Twin Peaks '17 is really worth using this for

:allbuttons:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

episode 8 of Twin Peaks '17

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Don't Trust the B made the mistake of trying to soften its weirdness and edginess to fit the ABC lineup instead of just embracing it the way like The Mick does. If ABC had just shoved Don't Trust the Bitch and Happy Endings in its own block away from Modern Family or whatever it might have grabbed its own audience. Or hell, if it had come along 5 years later it might have found streaming support or something.

I miss Better off Ted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Every time I happen across an episode of Mom I'm pleasantly impressed. Managing to find humor in broken people without going to the absurd to find it, being able to work in lines like "I was not a good mother to her, and I didn't realize it because I thought anyone who didn't whail on their kid was parent of the year" without breaking character and still being comedy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I've caught a few pieces of episodes here or there and was kind of surprised by how even though there appears to be a lot of broad comedy they seem to play those two main characters and their issues respectfully. I've never watched enough to really speak on it but I've had my curiosity piqued once or twice.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
The series finale of Downward Dog aired tonight. Not surprising. I enjoyed the female lead, but the dog(voiceover) was...more annoying than I thought I could stand. Maybe it's the speaking style that the actor used? Did anyone else watch a lot of this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Don't Trust the B made the mistake of trying to soften its weirdness and edginess to fit the ABC lineup instead of just embracing it the way like The Mick does. If ABC had just shoved Don't Trust the Bitch and Happy Endings in its own block away from Modern Family or whatever it might have grabbed its own audience. Or hell, if it had come along 5 years later it might have found streaming support or something.

I miss Better off Ted.

The Mick wouldn't have made it through a full season on ABC.

• Locked thread