Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I am on my knees begging for NASCAR to listen to the positive reception for not throwing the caution at the end of Sonoma and keep up that trend. Very excited to have those hopes dashed in short order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I must've missed the debris cautions. I thought in general NASCAR was pretty reasonable in throwing cautions yesterday.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The stream I was watching...people were pissed they didn't throw the caution at the end (the spin).

I almost puked I was so disgusted. Are these morons the reason we get so many cautions? Cuz they think restarts are more exciting than racing?

Go watch a loving drag race maybe?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

gret posted:

I must've missed the debris cautions. I thought in general NASCAR was pretty reasonable in throwing cautions yesterday.

There was one in stage 2 because there was hunk of something lying right in the middle of a turn.

I think the other 3 were because of crashes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Norns posted:

The stream I was watching...people were pissed they didn't throw the caution at the end (the spin).

I almost puked I was so disgusted. Are these morons the reason we get so many cautions? Cuz they think restarts are more exciting than racing?

Go watch a loving drag race maybe?

There's like two layers to the NASCAR fanbase/audience. This is mainly ancedotal but it's been my experience from twitter.

There's people that enjoy it because they love auto racing, stock car racing and just in general have significant ties to the sport. People that will go watch ARCA, K&N, Modifieds and such because those are fun, stock car racing is awesome when handled right. These people own. These are a lot of the people I've met on twitter and on here.

The 2nd layer are people that treat it like it's the NFL or some poo poo. They treat cheering on Joey Logano or Brad K. in the same vain someone would treat cheering on the Dallas Cowboys. Those are the people NASCAR loves for some reason. There's a guy that guys like Mearn, Hester and Boomer can fill you guys more so in on that fits that mold. (His quote on his twitter handle is "FORD IS MY RACING RELIGION".)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's like two layers to the NASCAR fanbase/audience. This is mainly ancedotal but it's been my experience from twitter.

There's people that enjoy it because they love auto racing, stock car racing and just in general have significant ties to the sport. People that will go watch ARCA, K&N, Modifieds and such because those are fun, stock car racing is awesome when handled right. These people own. These are a lot of the people I've met on twitter and on here.

The 2nd layer are people that treat it like it's the NFL or some poo poo. They treat cheering on Joey Logano or Brad K. in the same vain someone would treat cheering on the Dallas Cowboys. Those are the people NASCAR loves for some reason. There's a guy that guys like Mearn, Hester and Boomer can fill you guys more so in on that fits that mold. (His quote on his twitter handle is "FORD IS MY RACING RELIGION".)

Jeff Gordon is simultaneously responsible for both NASCAR's rise and fall.

He was the first driver who wasn't one of the "southern good old boys" to have significant success (though I'm sure if Alan Kulwicki didn't die, he may have taken that spot). It was because of him they found someone they could market to an audience that was more into open wheel (read: the Midwest), and capitalized on top-level open wheel taking a massive poo poo with the split. The end result was massive viewership and approaching the NFL in terms of popularity.

He's responsible for the fall because he's exactly that second type of fan is drawn to. NASCAR knew it, and they figured they could chase people like that thinking their core base would stick with them.

How many races have not been sellouts this year?

Also, I like Brad K. :shobon:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

He was the first driver who wasn't one of the "southern good old boys" to have significant success (though I'm sure if Alan Kulwicki didn't die, he may have taken that spot). It was because of him they found someone they could market to an audience that was more into open wheel (read: the Midwest), and capitalized on top-level open wheel taking a massive poo poo with the split. The end result was massive viewership and approaching the NFL in terms of popularity.

He's responsible for the fall because he's exactly that second type of fan is drawn to. NASCAR knew it, and they figured they could chase people like that thinking their core base would stick with them.

Also, I like Brad K. :shobon:

Tim Richmond as well?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

iospace posted:

I'm sure there's been more non sellout races in just this year so far than there have been sellouts in the last 5 years combined. There's a reason they're throwing seats in the garbage pile faster than Harvick can rattle off all his sponsors

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

I mean stock car racing has always had a significant culture in the midwest, west coast and east coast (see literally every other poster in this thread being from NY/NJ.). It was popular even before Gordon existed for those reasons.

The problem was people tried to move it from the rural areas, short tracks and what not to the 'burbs. Chicagoland, Kansas and the like are not the epicenter of midwestern stock car racing culture. Places like Milwaukee, Berlin, Salem and the like (Read: ARCA venues, former ASA ones) were where a lot of stock car fans hailed from.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Apparently Leigh Diffey is calling the Cup races at the Glen and Michigan for NBC.

I wonder why.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That sounds rad

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

When's the last fox covered race this season? I'm tired of all the graphics shooting chrome lasers at me

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Norns posted:

When's the last fox covered race this season? I'm tired of all the graphics shooting chrome lasers at me

Sonoma was it

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Bitchin! Next race is Daytona as well. Nice

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Apparently Leigh Diffey is calling the Cup races at the Glen and Michigan for NBC.

I wonder why.

Diffey normally does F1, so The Glen is right in his wheelhouse. Michigan is a bit odd, but I'm sure he can do it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.google.com/search?q=isc...A+stock+history

So I'm trying to figure something out...when exactly the NASCAR bubble popped.For reference when CART was on it's deathbed, it's stock was "pennies per share". Apparently the stock for ISCA took a nose dive to being worth about 16.49 on March 6, 2009. It's highest price ever was November 19, 1999 when it was up to 70.00

https://www.google.com/search?q=isc...torsports+stock

TRK (Bruton Smith/SMI)'s stock lowest price was 10.03 on March 13, 2009. It's highest was September 10, 1999 when it sold for 45.75 bucks a share.

https://www.google.com/search?q=isc...+speedway+stock

Dover Motorsports stock was at it's highest on April 22, 2002.It's lowest was 1.16 on November 21, 2008.

So in the aftermath of Daytona that year I guess the american public as a whole was done with NASCAR.

e: Reference? On November 11, 1999? NASCAR signed the FOX, NBC, "TBS" (later TNT) deals

http://money.cnn.com/1999/11/11/bizbuzz/nascar/

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 26, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

iospace posted:

Diffey normally does F1, so The Glen is right in his wheelhouse. Michigan is a bit odd, but I'm sure he can do it.

Diffey is also much better than Schwieger and I hope to God they're setting us up for a "Well, neither worked, so here's Allen Bestwick!" move.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Diffey is also much better than Schwieger and I hope to God they're setting us up for a "Well, neither worked, so here's Allen Bestwick!" move.

Please have Bestwick do Indy only :colbert:

(I hope NBC really, really picks him up, regardless of what he does more of)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AB was part of the ABC layoffs, so I could def see NBC picking him up. Hope they do.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N: Stages are not going away

V: I think they should ditch them at major races and road courses, but again, it is a way to make the middle of races at least somewhat interesting.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I prefer stages to competition/debris flags for sure.

Going to hilarious when Truex wins a Championship due to them tho

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Going to hilarious when Truex wins a Championship due to them tho

Hilarious? Or awesome and good because Truex owns?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Norns posted:

And in case you can't decide which you prefer, NASCAR gives you both!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Truex and Larson have been the best drivers all year so I don't see anything off with either of them winning the championship.

Now, if Jimmie wins...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Jimmie is the champion everyone deserves

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

Hilarious? Or awesome and good because Truex owns?

Stage winning your way to a Championship just seems funny to me. He's a fine driver. Honestly wouldn't mind him or Larson this year Jimmy for maximum comedy win though

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

iospace posted:

(though I'm sure if Alan Kulwicki didn't die, he may have taken that spot).

Kulwicki was kind of popular among some people who recognized his engineering and management skill on top of his driving, and the Underbird thing got him some traction, but he was never going to be the mega star that Gordon was. He was too cold and distant overall (which was why he was great and people who didn't care about poo poo like that liked him, he was all business). The dude you are thinking of would probably have been Davey Allison, who was basically the Dale Jr. of his day. Came from a dad people either loved or hated, had a flash of skill, complete aw shucks temperament and basically everyone loved him. I'd wager a ton of Davey fans made the jump to Gordon when Davey died.

Norns posted:

Tim Richmond as well?

gently caress no, the average NASCAR fan of the 80's honestly hated him. He was way too rock and roll for that crowd. Fans in the 90's might have embraced him, but by then he would have been an elder statesman and likely not the wild dude he was when he died. People have a favorable view of him now because society has changed a lot, but that style of personality really only fits in a nostalgic view of NASCAR and the 80's together, because when you think back 30 years and imagine what a race car driver of that era "should" look like and not what they actually were, that's what you picture. He was NASCAR dosed up with Miami Vice, but I'd wager the fans back then didn't watch that much Miami Vice, ya know?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

was shopping for a new modem, looking through the Arris stuff and well

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB-AC1750CE-Edwards-AC1750/dp/B01MY9Q8KO/

its cheaper than the regular model, btw

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

gently caress no, the average NASCAR fan of the 80's honestly hated him. He was way too rock and roll for that crowd. Fans in the 90's might have embraced him, but by then he would have been an elder statesman and likely not the wild dude he was when he died. People have a favorable view of him now because society has changed a lot, but that style of personality really only fits in a nostalgic view of NASCAR and the 80's together, because when you think back 30 years and imagine what a race car driver of that era "should" look like and not what they actually were, that's what you picture. He was NASCAR dosed up with Miami Vice, but I'd wager the fans back then didn't watch that much Miami Vice, ya know?

Richmond sounds like the NASCAR version of Danny Sullivan in a lot of ways. Sullivan oddly enough really resonated with the IndyCar fanbase/Madison avenue at the time. I guess at one point he was getting paid to rock sunglasses in 1992 in the same way like an NBA talent would get paid to wear beats or something.

Yeah when I think NASCAR I got this vision of Terry Labonte (in the cornflakes car), Dale Sr., Jeff Gordon, and Dale Jarrett (in the Quality Care 88) racing each other for some reason. Though I will argue that the best looking cars were the ones of the aerowar era. Ford Torino Talladega, Dodge Charger Daytona, Plymouth Superbird....man. ....

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

The first time I recall hearing the F word (the slur) was my dad talking about Richmond.

I really think that Kulwicki's legacy benefited greatly from his death. It seems to me that he was a real prick but you can't speak ill of the dead.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
A guy like Kulwicki would have had a rough time in the social media age, because I have no doubt there would be audio of him motherfucking his crew and video of him blowing off autographs, just like Kyle Busch does today.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elitist Bitch posted:

The first time I recall hearing the F word (the slur) was my dad talking about Richmond.

I really think that Kulwicki's legacy benefited greatly from his death. It seems to me that he was a real prick but you can't speak ill of the dead.

If you want to believe it...

Allegedly Kulwicki was the gay one, and Richmond was straight. Someone told me the urban legend was he was in a relationship with some sort of lesbian rock dj at the time to act as beard for each others.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

richmond was straight as far as i know, but got the "gay mans disease" and rednecks were/are dumb as hell

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Cygni posted:

richmond was straight as far as i know, but got the "gay mans disease" and rednecks were/are dumb as hell

That comes through really strongly in the 30 for 30. Especially DW, in my opinion. Some people have never forgotten that the first name for AIDS was Gay Related Immune Deficiency.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crosspost from Journalism thread:
https://twitter.com/tomjensen100/status/879448058408390657
https://twitter.com/woodbrothers21/status/879510213220589573

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower
Junior continues to be awesome:

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/879390156058492929

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheOrangeCone/status/879781025194409984

Dodge, SRA?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Skoda, Elliott Sadler

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

https://twitter.com/woodbrothers21/status/879774008820060160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jon Wood runs that account.

Jon Wood loving owns.

• Locked thread