Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I hope the update lets you fly a whole fleet around :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

precision posted:

Yeah I hope the update lets you fly a whole fleet around :getin:

I've got bad news.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

dogstile posted:

I've got bad news.

What is going to be in the update, Guildford Deep Throat?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A fast travel system, but not a particularly good one. Some minor base revamp. Can't remember what else I overheard, but there are people who definitely need to shut up while at the pub.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I wish they'd automate moneymaking a little. It's weird that one of the best ways to make money is farming by hand. My freighter should do some buying and selling every time I call it into a new system and I get to skim some of the profits.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

More in the vein of X-Wing / Tie-fighter but House of the Dying Sun is a neat little dogfight simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

I've always thought it looked pretty cool but its Windows only unfortunately :(

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

More in the vein of X-Wing / Tie-fighter but House of the Dying Sun is a neat little dogfight simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

It's excellent but short. Also very much like a first person shmup, doesn't really scratch the same itch for me personally.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

dogstile posted:

A fast travel system, but not a particularly good one. Some minor base revamp. Can't remember what else I overheard, but there are people who definitely need to shut up while at the pub.
I'm sure they'd be astonished to find out anyone even cared to overhear it

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

dogstile posted:

A fast travel system, but not a particularly good one.

You mean like the Base teleporter system we already have?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm still not sure I'm going to be playing this game ever again, but I'm still really curious about what they have in store for it. And I'm also one of those people that like it, got my money's worth multiple times already.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mountaineer posted:

I wish they'd automate moneymaking a little. It's weird that one of the best ways to make money is farming by hand.

There is a quest chain to enable auto-farming, I thought? I haven't finished it but my little Gek dude keeps talking about how soon we can auto-farm?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So I just booted up Survival (permadeath actually, might as well go all in), for the first time, and fuuuuuuuuck this poo poo is hard. :stare: Harder than it needs to be I think.

Third time I died and Rerolled I finally got a planet with a decent temperature range. Great, no more freezing to death before I can find enough Thamium to power life support. "Extreme Radiation Detected" Oh gently caress you. :argh:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

AirRaid posted:

You mean like the Base teleporter system we already have?

Not quite.

Oh poo poo, that was the other thing. Do you remember in fable where it had that multiplayer thing where you couldn't see other people, but you could see orbs that moved around as other people played, or "ghosts"? They were adding Psuedo multiplayer

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I know the history of the game and how it was a huge dumpster fire of a release when it came out, but it is 60% off on steam right now and god help me... I may pull the trigger.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I know the history of the game and how it was a huge dumpster fire of a release when it came out, but it is 60% off on steam right now and god help me... I may pull the trigger.

You could probably get $20 of entertainment out of it, depending on how much you can stand battling with obtuse UI and how much you like making hamster tubes for spacemen

However you should probably consider just getting Astroneer or something instead

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is a solid $10 game. Don't pay more than that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How much do you like weird colored landscapes?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It's a chill game to wander around planets, just keep your expectations for the "gameplay loop" to a bare minimum. You make your own fun, aside from the quest chains your base builders give you (which can be ignored entirely if you don't want to build a base, but they've added a TON of options and you can make awesome bases like this one:

(yes, parts of the base are inside/attached to a cliff)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Cool bases :waycool:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Those are mostly great!

I can't wait for the new update, it sounds like it'll be a big one if they're hiring an ARG team to promote it!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Are those bases using mods? There's like zero chance I can build something like that on PS4 last I touched the game.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Depends. Take how much weed you smoke in a week in ounces and divide by how many blacklight posters you own. If you end up on the positive side of 50%, you're gonna get your money's worth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are those bases using mods? There's like zero chance I can build something like that on PS4 last I touched the game.

They might have been built in Creative Mode where everything is dirt cheap, but you can definitely do stuff like that on PS4. At a certain point it becomes trivial to get enough materials to make a large base, the main thing you need is just Iron.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Picked this up in the sale, now that it doesn't always crash on the title screen, I quite like it.

As the sort of person who's derped around in Elite Dangerous for something like 1800 hours, I suspect I'll be messing around with it a good while, just zooming about pretty landscapes.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Regarding the ARG, does anyone have any idea what the cached sites you aren't allowed to post on the Reddit are?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Regarding the ARG, does anyone have any idea what the cached sites you aren't allowed to post on the Reddit are?

http://wiki.gamedetectives.net/index.php?title=Waking_Titan seems to have a bunch of them

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, I just went down that rabbit hole for the past few hours. The next radio broadcast to unlock the (I assume) next to last site is on the first, so shits wrapping up, making the timing for an anniversary update dogstile was talking about more than probable to me.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 28, 2017

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
found God

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dollas posted:

found God

Welp, game's over. Wrap it up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah, I just went down that rabbit hole for the past few hours. The next radio broadcast to unlock the (I assume) next to last site is on the first, so shits wrapping up, making the timing for an anniversary update dogstile was talking about more than probable to me.

I want one of those gold Atlas Passes. They're sending out 10,000 of 'em.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

I want one of those gold Atlas Passes. They're sending out 10,000 of 'em.

Hell yeah, the little survey was interesting.

For those not following, it's pretty official this is all leading up to update 1.3 in august, as many assumed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooh how do I get one?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The_Doctor posted:

Ooh how do I get one?

csd.atlas-65.com, it'll send a survey with poo poo like "how is a dream realistic" and other spacey questions.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

csd.atlas-65.com, it'll send a survey with poo poo like "how is a dream realistic" and other spacey questions.

But...why?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So this AR game is confirming that the NMS galaxy is canonically a simulated universe that the player "character" is plugged into Matrix-style, right? It explains why barren worlds are somehow less common than worlds teeming with life.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

deadly_pudding posted:

So this AR game is confirming that the NMS galaxy is canonically a simulated universe that the player "character" is plugged into Matrix-style, right? It explains why barren worlds are somehow less common than worlds teeming with life.

That's confirmed in-game and always has been. Nada and Polo tell you at some point.

I'm quite curious how they'll use all those answering machine messages in the game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SlothBear posted:

But...why?

:shrug: the arg has two phases left.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What sort of extra stuff could they still put in the game at this point, I wonder.

If Elite hadn't come out, I'd probably still be playing this game. I still like it, though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

John F Bennett posted:

What sort of extra stuff could they still put in the game at this point, I wonder.

If Elite hadn't come out, I'd probably still be playing this game. I still like it, though.

Like I said, "psuedo" multiplayer, more base things. Can't imagine they'll be fixing the hand holding flying at planet level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

dogstile posted:

Like I said, "psuedo" multiplayer, more base things. Can't imagine they'll be fixing the hand holding flying at planet level.

Honestly, let me fly under a giant arch or through a canyon. Let me crash!

• Locked thread