Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
That's a pretty good twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wuppo feels like someone decided to make a sequel to the Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga RPGs and their ilk, but in a completely different setting. It's not an rpg, but it's just as charming and genre-bending and I can't stop being charmed by it. :kimchi:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So, since playing Hollow Knight I've really had a hankering for metroidvanias with good combat. I've played Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight and really enjoyed that, and also purchased Valdis Story, Environmental Station Alpha and Pharaoh+ Rebirth. Any other suggestions?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Guacamelee

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

For Zenimax shareholders tastes at least. Maybe they shouldn't have forced Denuvo and needing to pay off that company for their DRM on top of of unrealistic sales figures. HITMAN proved removing that will make me buy it for PC, but oh well. Maybe Arkane can go indie too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SirSamVimes posted:

So, since playing Hollow Knight I've really had a hankering for metroidvanias with good combat. I've played Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight and really enjoyed that, and also purchased Valdis Story, Environmental Station Alpha and Pharaoh+ Rebirth. Any other suggestions?
Well there's Guacamelee as mentioned. that's real good. other than that you're going to be scrapping the barrel since you seem to have got a lot of them. I guess there's also Ori and the Blind Forest which is real good but it's not really combat focused at all. There's something like Dust but it's anime as gently caress and the plot is terrible but combat and most of the gameplay mechanics are solid

after Guacamelee, i'd say just download an emulator, play Castlevania Symphony of the Night, then play Castlevania Order of Ecclecia, Portrait or Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow

and play Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What's the goon consensus on the Humble Monthly subscription? Is it a good value?

I had it for a while last year but cut it off because i kept getting games i already owned. But I wish I would have been subbed for the May bundle so now im considering resubbing.

Thoughts?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

SirSamVimes posted:

If you can stomach anime bunny girl, Rabi Ribi

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

-Blackadder- posted:

What's the goon consensus on the Humble Monthly subscription? Is it a good value?

I had it for a while last year but cut it off because i kept getting games i already owned. But I wish I would have been subbed for the May bundle so now im considering resubbing.

Thoughts?

if you like the game they put out early, buy it, if not, don't

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Digirat posted:

Guacamelee

Got that but got put off from playing it when I discovered that "gold edition" was not actually complete. Might pick up the turbo championship edition.

Xaris posted:

Well there's Guacamelee as mentioned. that's real good. other than that you're going to be scrapping the barrel since you seem to have got a lot of them. I guess there's also Ori and the Blind Forest which is real good but it's not really combat focused at all. There's something like Dust but it's anime as gently caress and the plot is terrible but combat and most of the gameplay mechanics are solid

after Guacamelee, i'd say just download an emulator, play Castlevania Symphony of the Night, then play Castlevania Order of Ecclecia, Portrait or Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow

and play Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion

Got Dust/Ori and played SotN, but emulating some of those others sounds like a good idea.

WirelessPillow posted:

Got it.

So the impression I'm getting is that I've pretty much got my bases covered when it comes to buying fun metroidvanias??

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

WirelessPillow posted:

the boss fights in Rabi Ribi own and there's a ton of them. Most games have bad boss fights but Rabi Ribi has like a dozen+ good ones. They're bullet-hell themed if that matters. It's one of the best metroidvania's I've played and all the talking is skippable. It's also surprisingly non-linear once you figure out some of the secrets to the movement mechanics.

Also if anyone was thinking of buying princess maker 3, don't bother at this point. The translation is bad and the font and word wrapping look straight out of some chinese bootleg from 1998.

SirSamVimes posted:

So the impression I'm getting is that I've pretty much got my bases covered when it comes to buying fun metroidvanias??

Maybe Axiom Verge. It's kind of divisive but there are a ton of weapons and it nails the metroid 1 atmosphere it's going for. There are annoying aspects to it but it's worth a look.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 28, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SirSamVimes posted:

Yep. I do highly recommend going to the real source of metroidvania term, which sadly is unplayed by many gamers today without understanding the metroidvania term, and they're still unmatched today. Only Hollow Knight exceeds and beats them (in many ways at least)

If you want ones that don't have good combat, check out La Mulana (archaeology simulator, buy a notebook+pencil), and Apotheon (greek mythology one, if you love greek poo poo like me its very nice eyecandy, but the combat is so unwieldy and kind of terrible but fortunately the graphics/setting easily carry it to the end. not exactly metroidvania per se but i'd say it's a good action-platformer type game)

e: Apotheon is $3.75 which is about the right price for it http://store.steampowered.com/app/208750/Apotheon/
La Mulana is $5 as well, maybe a little overpriced for being old but worth if it clicks with you http://store.steampowered.com/app/230700/LaMulana/

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 28, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xaris posted:

Yep. I do highly recommend going to the real source of metroidvania term, which sadly is unplayed by many gamers today without understanding the metroidvania term, and they're still unmatched today. Only Hollow Knight exceeds and beats them (in many ways at least)

If you want ones that dont have good combat or anything, check out La Mulana and Apotheon (greek mythology one, if you love greek poo poo like me its good but the combat is so unwiedly and terrible that the graphics/setting carry it to the end)

Yeah, I've played a few of them. Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, SotN, Aria of Sorrow and they're all good stuff.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

Got that but got put off from playing it when I discovered that "gold edition" was not actually complete. Might pick up the turbo championship edition.

Got Dust/Ori and played SotN, but emulating some of those others sounds like a good idea.

Got it.

Shantae & The Pirates Curse. The other ones are OK to good as well but that's the real gem.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Light Gun Man posted:

Shantae & The Pirates Curse. The other ones are OK to good as well but that's the real gem.

Also already played, but didn't list because I wasn't sure if it counted as a metroidvania when it's level-based. :v: Got Half-Genie Hero too.

I'm really surprised at how simple but fun the Momodora bosses were. Their attack patterns weren't particularly complicated, but felt really satisfying to master. Especially Pardoner Fennel.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You could also maaaaaaybe say the Monster World games which are technically on Steam but that's stretching it pretty hard.

That newer Strider is also alright, and Shadow Complex came out on Steam awhile back too, right? Super Panda Adventures looks dumb but plays pretty decent.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Super Panda Adventures looks dumb but plays pretty decent.

I forgot about this game. It's one of the shittiest looking good games on steam.

It's a case of relatively simple gameplay executed well.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Light Gun Man posted:

Super Panda Adventures looks dumb but plays pretty decent.

that does not look good, but it's less than a dollar so what the hey

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crabtree posted:

For Zenimax shareholders tastes at least. Maybe they shouldn't have forced Denuvo and needing to pay off that company for their DRM on top of of unrealistic sales figures. HITMAN proved removing that will make me buy it for PC, but oh well. Maybe Arkane can go indie too.

Boy that's a dumb post.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there any way to filter by price? I've got $2 steambucks left

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Synthbuttrange posted:

YES

https://steamdb.info/sales/?max_price=2&min_discount=50&min_rating=90&displayOnly=Game

take your pick. and learn to love steamdb. You can filter and sort by rating, % sale, price, game-type, game tags, etc. There is a direct link to Steam shop on the left with little steam icon next to each game name beside the game logo.

I set it to games with >50% sale (b/c why not) and games with >90% rating, and from 0-$2 in that link but you could change it. Add Game Tag filter if you're looking for something specific.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 28, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Synthbuttrange posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Price_ASC&category1=998&filter=ut2

da-daaaan and this gets rid of the free games too

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
More metroidvania edge cases keep coming to my mind. There are sort of two in this game pack: http://store.steampowered.com/app/290040/Retro_Game_Crunch/

Super Clew Land is kinda like a Kirby or Ufouria esque game where you evolve as you eat stuff and explore. Paradox Lost is loving confusing, since the whole map has a past, present, and future and it requires a lot of swapping between them and aaaaaa where am I

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SirSamVimes posted:

Dead Cells my man

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Dead Cells is not a metroidvania. It's an roguelite 2d action game. The only close element is (two) permanent ups that allow you to access different levels on your run if you want to take harder routes

It's still a great game tho

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Xaris posted:

Dead Cells is not a metroidvania. It's an roguelite 2d action game. The only close element is (two) permanent ups that allow you to access different levels on your run if you want to take harder routes

It's still a great game tho

I think the actual way it plays and the layout of the levels feels very Metroidvania. It's true that it is a roguelite. Anyway the combat mechanics are amazing, i was shocked by how good the game is.

I'm playing through Hollow Knight now and enjoying it but the lack of semi-convenient fast travel is really annoying me.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Messing with the narrator in Icey is a good time. The Chinese VA is really good too.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Oh also Salt and Sanctuary is pretty castlevania-y and under appreciated imo

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fuligin posted:

Dead Cells my man

Very much considering it, but early access and not much discount.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SirSamVimes posted:

Very much considering it, but early access and not much discount.

Can't speak to the discount but it's incredibly polished for ea, which i normally avoid like the plague

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gifts are funny, says an idiot who i will kill for this

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
~faery tales come true~

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh poo poo it's out? :swoon:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Synthbuttrange posted:

oh poo poo it's out? :swoon:

Yeah, man. Necromancer classes rule, amirite? :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

~faery tales come true~

it's
good to have frien
ds.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Crabtree posted:

What is it with you and denuvo

SirSamVimes posted:

Well the gold edition is what I've played with the turbo championship one being something they released later, and gold edition is definitely a complete game so if you own it you should just play it. Guacamelee's good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So Steam Link is 70% off at 16,49€, worth it at this price? There's also a bundle with a Steam Controller at 49,48€, were the discounts deeper for the controller (38,49€ currently) in the past?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

She Bangs the Drums posted:

they are literally 8 year old games though.

Yeah I was about to be all Yo what the gently caress I enjoyed these games :flipoff: . Then I remembered... that was in like 2009. And that I mostly played them because they were small enough to have on a USB stick I could plug into my work laptop and play them on lunch breaks. I didn't find the humor terrible (it is lolrandom monkeycheese tho) but the text really does suck, and in an Adventure game that's a pretty big deal. Think there's an option to make the font size bigger though. I remember thinking a couple of the puzzled were legit clever and/or funny.

I'd say if you're looking for cheapy little adventure games to casually mess around with these are worth a buck.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Palpek posted:

So Steam Link is 70% off at 16,49€, worth it at this price? There's also a bundle with a Steam Controller at 49,48€, were the discounts deeper for the controller (38,49€ currently) in the past?

Whether or not the Steam Link is worth it depends on a) how awesome your home network is and b) do you have plenty of games that work well with a controller? If both are true, then I say go for it. I haven't used mine a ton but it's been really nice on some of these hotter days where I've been sweating my balls off trying to stay upstairs to play F13.

The only thing I really notice these days is some slight audio hitching that I imagine is due to a small amount of packet loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I realised that having almost 300 games on my wishlist is a bit silly, so I've slowly and surely been culling the herd. Down to 130 now, but jeez - some of these games look so neat, I'd love to play them. But who has the time?

• Locked thread