Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yep, and to speed up access so you don't have to download from a distributed network every time, those central servers are going to cache what we call 'files' on them, and I believe that's what we on the current internet call a web server.

So yeah again, not happening.

or you just set it up like a torrent network and depending on the levels of redundancy either run into issues when critical peers with the only copy of a certain chunk of a file drop off the network or waste lots of space keeping backups for every file on redundant peers

his system is basically a limewire botnet at best and that's what makes it funny, especially with the Hooli app backdoor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean "we needed 125,000 phones to store one company's data" should be the giant redflag that this system could never replace the internet as it exists now.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Final scene of the show should be Pied Piper led by Big Head launching its IPO to a massive celebration, and then a quick cut to Richard and Erlich doing opeum hits in Tibet while watching the celebration on TV

Metonymy
Aug 31, 2005
The latest season felt really mean-spirited. Dinesh and Guilfoyle's sniping seemed less clever and more outright hostile, Richard was irredeemably unpleasant to just about everyone, and Erlich and Jian-Yiang's bit was only marginally saved by TJ Miller and Jimmy Yang's chemistry. Jared aside, it feels like the show has just devolved into people being unrelentingly nasty to each other. And that's not even getting into how quickly the reset button was getting pressed on every interesting story arc. Was there some major change in the writing staff?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jared's interview was probably the funniest thing the entire season. And the cap of him just nonchalantly saying "Arson" almost made me have to pause the show because I was laughing so hard.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

You dumb nerds are really sensitive about your shows.

Season was good. Jokes were funny.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

John F Bennett posted:

Amen

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In a shocking twist, the trailer at the beginning of the season actually hid a plot point rather than spoil it. In the interview in this episode, Jared says "we are still essentially a criminal operation, whose only real product is dangerous malware." Whereas in the trailer, he says "We are essentially a criminal operation whose only real product is large scale fraud." Or maybe that was just another take they did that got sent to the trailer people and a different take was used in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oltCLzdHLQo

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Cojawfee posted:

In a shocking twist, the trailer at the beginning of the season actually hid a plot point rather than spoil it. In the interview in this episode, Jared says "we are still essentially a criminal operation, whose only real product is dangerous malware." Whereas in the trailer, he says "We are essentially a criminal operation whose only real product is large scale fraud." Or maybe that was just another take they did that got sent to the trailer people and a different take was used in the show.

The scene of Jian-Yang lounging in the pool also never showed up, so they probably shifted a few things around before airing.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

when are they going to gently caress?

Never, according to Mike Judge. They were planned to until he decided it would be insufferably cheesy.

Honestly, the refusal to do romances of any kind is one of my favorite things about the show. The almost-universal tendency in tv/movies to force in "someone for everyone!!" pairings for every character, no matter how unattractive, unlikable, or peripheral, has got to be half the reason for friend zone rants, incels, and redpill.

It's refreshing to have a show featuring a houseful of shut-in nerds getting laid exactly as often as you would expect, who don't even have it on their mind much because there's more to life, etc.

Except for Jared, who fucks.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Avasculous posted:

Never, according to Mike Judge. They were planned to until he decided it would be insufferably cheesy.

Honestly, the refusal to do romances of any kind is one of my favorite things about the show. The almost-universal tendency in tv/movies to force in "someone for everyone!!" pairings for every character, no matter how unattractive, unlikable, or peripheral, has got to be half the reason for friend zone rants, incels, and redpill.

It's refreshing to have a show featuring a houseful of shut-in nerds getting laid exactly as often as you would expect, who don't even have it on their mind much because there's more to life, etc.

Except for Jared, who fucks.

Good to know. I'll stop waiting for it. Because ya, it definitely seemed like season one it was going to happen and then they just never happened. They need to flesh her out though as to why shes so nice to him beyond "his tech is good and hes a good guy(hes not)!"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I think it (the line used in the trailer vs. the line in the episode) was misdirection. I mean, let's say the trailer had Jared saying "dangerous malware." That means that the last couple/few episodes would have been spoiled a little bit the moment that Richard started hinting at using the cell phones at Hoolicon to store the data. The fridge reveal may have also felt a little telegraphed, seeing as how it literally was malware.

So, they changed the line to something on theme, but not the exact detail. It works for me. Actually, it seems a little clever, albeit easy to abuse as an advertising tool.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Holyshoot posted:

Good to know. I'll stop waiting for it. Because ya, it definitely seemed like season one it was going to happen and then they just never happened. They need to flesh her out though as to why shes so nice to him beyond "his tech is good and hes a good guy(hes not)!"

She feels bad for him because she will never gently caress him

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
do you think Ed Chambers fucks

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ein cooler Typ posted:

do you think Ed Chambers fucks

Ed Chambers doesn't gently caress, he just acts like it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Echo Chamber posted:

And I'm curious what the property laws are if a house's owner is MIA overseas. How long until Erlich is presumed dead and the place is in limbo?

As long as the property taxes are paid, nobody’s going to notice Erlich is gone.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

empty baggie posted:

As long as the property taxes are paid, nobody’s going to notice Erlich is gone.

Jian Yang's corrupt uncle will send a copy of his signature (taken from some paperwork or other) to Jian Yang, who will use that to buy the house for pennies on the dollar.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The trailer for this season had me thinking that he accidentally made the dark web. Kind of wish it did that instead.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TJs podcast has been pretty good. sometimes a bit too much on the absurdist side of things but has started being incredibly funny around the time he was filming Season 1 of SV.

Overall I thought this season was pretty ordinary and TJ Miller phoning it in definitely didnt help. The whole cast is strong enough that they dont need Erlich around, but I would have rathered they lose Richard instead.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
TJ's comedy special is on HBO now and it's pretty good.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I mean, what was TJ supposed to do with what the writers gave him? "Oh, my character ends up a universally loathed total failure heroin addict with no apparent redeeming qualities of any kind, great!"

They could have handled this situation without treating the character like Family Guy treats Meg.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 28, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think TJ did the best with what he was given. It didn't seem like he was phoning it in, the writers just weren't doing anything new with the character.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Just since TJ is throwing so much shade his way, I looked up what exactly Alec Berg has written.

He wrote 5 episodes of Silicon Valley:

The Condor episode and the Tip-To-Tip Efficiency episode are two of my favs, and now that I come to think of it both gags had nothing to do with Erlich, so maybe that's why TJ doesn't like him

EDIT: "Bad Money" was the episode that introduced Russ Hanneman - Alec Berg is cool as gently caress
The Hollywood Insider interview noted that Alec Berg was the showrunner for the first two seasons of Silicon Valley. I'm not sure who's responsible for this season's decline and diminishing returns and laughs, but it probably isn't him.

John F Bennett posted:

I thought it wasn't as good or funny as the ones before it, but I'm tired of seeing "mean-spirited" as a knock against a comedy show. I tend to filter that accusation into "I didn't find it funny" and it ends up being a one-to-one match most of the time. Erlich is mean-spirited much of the time, but at his peak, he was the funniest character on Silicon Valley.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 28, 2017

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I enjoyed Elrich a lot, and I think they absolutely wasted the character by pushing him to the sidelines and only brought him into the main story for brief moments to act as a self-aggrandizing deus ex machina. He was at his best when paired with Ritchard, and I think that while the two characters acted very differently, deep down they had the same drive: They wanted the world to know that they had worth, which is why I think that Elrich was so protective of Richard in the first season.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

get that OUT of my face posted:

The Hollywood Insider interview noted that Alec Berg was the showrunner for the first two seasons of Silicon Valley. I'm not sure who's responsible for this season's decline and diminishing returns and laughs, but it probably isn't him.

This article says he's currently "co-showrunner", so I'm trying to figure out who the second showrunner is:

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/TJ-Miller-Slams-Silicon-Valley-Showrunner-11247611.php

EDIT: here we go

https://deadline.com/2017/04/silicon-valley-clay-tarver-elevated-co-showrunner-on-hbo-comedy-series-1202062556/

quote:

As HBO’s Silicon Valley is gearing up for its Season 4 premiere on April 23, the praised comedy series also is making plans for a potential fifth season, which has not been ordered but is fully expected. If Silicon Valley is renewed for Season 5, Clay Tarver will be promoted to executive producer and co-showrunner alongside original executive producers/showrunners Mike Judge and Alec Berg.

Silicon Valley is bringing in showrunner reinforcements as both Berg and Judge are shepherding other projects in addition to Silicon Valley.

Berg co-created, executive produces and serves as co-showrunner alongside star Bill Hader on the upcoming HBO comedy series Barry. Judge co-created and is currently executive producing Mike Judge Presents: Tales from the Tour Bus for Cinemax.

Tarver, who also is a rock musician, served as a consulting producer on the first season of Silicon Valley and has been a co-executive producer since the beginning of Season 2. Tarver won an episodic comedy WGA Award for his work on the show in 2016 and directed an episode for the upcoming fourth season.

Clay Tarver wrote the first episode after Peter Gregory's death that introduced Laurie and 3 other episodes:

quote:

- Terms of Service (2017) ... (written by)
- Daily Active Users (2016) ... (written by)
- Sand Hill Shuffle (2015) ... (written by)
- Proof of Concept (2014) ... (written by)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YOEEpWAXgU

This was awesome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

I enjoyed Elrich a lot, and I think they absolutely wasted the character by pushing him to the sidelines and only brought him into the main story for brief moments to act as a self-aggrandizing deus ex machina. He was at his best when paired with Ritchard, and I think that while the two characters acted very differently, deep down they had the same drive: They wanted the world to know that they had worth, which is why I think that Elrich was so protective of Richard in the first season.

Yeah, the best was when Richard and Erlich played off each other's strengths. The episode in season 1 where Richard pukes in his pants because he's totally unprepared to present to Peter Gregory and then Erlich comes in and earns the board seat he got Richard to agree to drunk is one of the best examples. They say "Jobs and Woz" a bunch of times, but they only act like it once or twice.

It's generally a problem in this show that they keep things too fractured for how little the situation evolves. If it's really going to just be a status quo sitcom, why didn't Monica join the Pied Piper team when they set it up? So that she could be involved in the show without all these tiny sideplots.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Yeah, the best was when Richard and Erlich played off each other's strengths. The episode in season 1 where Richard pukes in his pants because he's totally unprepared to present to Peter Gregory and then Erlich comes in and earns the board seat he got Richard to agree to drunk is one of the best examples. They say "Jobs and Woz" a bunch of times, but they only act like it once or twice.

It's generally a problem in this show that they keep things too fractured for how little the situation evolves. If it's really going to just be a status quo sitcom, why didn't Monica join the Pied Piper team when they set it up? So that she could be involved in the show without all these tiny sideplots.
I wonder if somebody starting to watch this show in 4 years, beginning not with the first episode but something from season 7, will be greeted with an Always Sunny ... type situation where everyone is irredeemably awful from the get-go, but I think I liked it more when the gang was just incompetent, not malicious.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

I thought it wasn't as good or funny as the ones before it, but I'm tired of seeing "mean-spirited" as a knock against a comedy show. I tend to filter that accusation into "I didn't find it funny" and it ends up being a one-to-one match most of the time. Erlich is mean-spirited much of the time, but at his peak, he was the funniest character on Silicon Valley.

Assuming they've stuck around for a few episodes, "mean-spirited" probably doesn't mean how the characters behave, so much as how the show treats them for it.

Erlich is probably my favorite character too, and the negging montage is still my favorite SV scene. His boorish arrogance and selfishness sometimes pays dividends, but for the most part is called out, mocked, and punished by other characters. It's also tempered by his heartwarming protectiveness of Richard, even if that leads to him backhanding an 11-year-old.

Would he be as funny if his abject unprofessionalism, casual sexism, and completely loving over Bighead and Richard caused him no problems, and he just became a celebrated billionaire for it?

No, that would just be an actual documentary about Steve Jobs.

In other words, people don't mind Richard becoming (more of) an rear end in a top hat, they mind that the show doesn't seem to mind.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Avasculous posted:

It's also tempered by his heartwarming protectiveness of Richard, even if especially because that leads to him backhanding an 11-year-old.

Has there even been a comparable scene in recent episodes?

TheBlackVegetable fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 30, 2017

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

mycomancy posted:

This has a BUNCH of comedy gold in it. The startup I work for transitioned into the post-Series B phase this past quarter, where we have a nice new space and are in a hiring spat. That stuff alone is ripe with potential, like dealing with the dumb infrastructure left by previous tennants in the new space or interviewing loving weirdos.

There's also random dumb poo poo that happens: my company hired a consultant friend of the CEO, and eventually this off-site guy was tasked with developing a data analysis pipeline. Turns out this consultant doesn't know poo poo, so he hired ANOTHER consultant, and between the two of these guys they couldn't deliver anything functional after three months; I built a minimal functional pipe this past week in 20 hours of wall-clock time.

That's hilarious.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's the exact type of thing I was hoping would happen the two different time pied piper almost moved into offices.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My favorite scene in the whole run of the show!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was listening to a recent episode of Puck Soup (a hockey podcast from Nerdist that's better than it has any right to be) and one of the cohosts compared this season of Silicon Valley to Entourage. He said it's just not as fun to watch when it does the nerd equivalent of one of the Entourage boys doing something like "selling the tequila distillery" to resolve a plot problem. He also completely understood why Erlich was being written out when one of the recent plot points was "Erlich has nothing to do."

Avasculous posted:

In other words, people don't mind Richard becoming (more of) an rear end in a top hat, they mind that the show doesn't seem to mind.
That whole transformation has really only come into full force over the last half of this season. I will say that the last-minute saves in the last two episodes were stupid, partially because Richard was absolved for being an unabashed piece of poo poo (also because it's been done enough times to have lost its emotional punch). If that keeps up over an entire season, then it'll be very hard for me to watch, even if improves when it comes to being funny.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs a bit here, but I think "rear end in a top hat character doesn't get their comeuppance" is a different problem than "being mean-spirited." There's some overlap, but it also has to do with showrunners and writers not knowing how unlikable protagonists typically work in comedy shows.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I think we are going to just have to live with the fact that the show is never leaving the house as the primary setting. But even with that in mind, there is a lot they could be doing short of the total resets.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyhzp-fQSh8&t=266s

Is that Action Jack?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
How can you confuse them? No, that is thoroughly not Stephen Tobolowsky.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It was too dark and small on my phone to tell, but on my tv it's clearly not him.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's actually TJ Miller. Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The loving guy that he sits next to at the end.

• Locked thread