Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is Equality really that vital? It's just a 100% increase, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Merijn posted:

You can also use Lara Crypt but since that's not giving me anything right now, I'm not sure if it still works.

Oh, yeah. Used this before, wasn't working when I went to get the Ancient Heirloom. Hope it comes back, it's quite helpful!

Vil posted:

Export and save in a text document or something, just to be safe (although it's also in your clipboard).

Try your timewarp.

If it doesn't behave itself as expected, re-import your previously exported save.

This method can also be used to safely see how long it'll currently take to get some rare excavation artifact.

:negative: of course

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

A 100% increase is huge.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

A 100% increase is huge.

Yeah that's 2 hours of effort condensed to one hour of effort, etc

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

GrossMurpel posted:

(Most) every boost in the game is multiplicative, not additive, so yeah, 100% means you double your output.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Merijn posted:

I'm slogging through R24-25-26 and it's hella boring. Neutral Research only gets me so far, and every reincarnation is another rush to ~e90 gems, then frantically trying different builds until I find one that eeks me across the reincarnation finish line. When is the next fun thing?

I looked this up, and it seems there's a lot of fun on the horizon. :)

quote:

Unlocks per reincarnation:
R0 Heritages, Neutral Factions, Prestige Factions: Dwarf & Drow
R2 Vanilla Challenges (Tier 1)
R3 Mercenary Faction
R4 Neutral Challenges (Tier 1)
R6 Prestige Challenges (Tier 1)
R7 Bloodlines
R8 Vanilla Challenges (Tier 2)
R9 Neutral Challenges (Tier 2)
R11 Prestige Challenges (Tier 2)
R14 Spiritual Surge Spell
R16 Vanilla Research
R18 Vanilla Challenges (Tier 3)
R19 Neutral Challenges (Tier 3)
R21 Prestige Challenges (Tier 3)
R23 Neutral Research
R25 Neutral Challenges (Tier 4)
R27 Prestige Challenges (Tier 4)
R29 Prestige Research
R33 Prestige Challenges (Tier 5)
R40 Ascension[1]
R42 Tier Spell Upgrades
R46 Neutral-Prestige Faction: Dragon
R47 Dragon Research
R48 Dragon Challenge (Tier 1)
R51 Dragon Challenge (Tier 2)
R54 Dragon Challenge (Tier 3)
R57 Dragon Challenge (Tier 4)
R60 Dragon Challenge (Tier 5), Lineages
R63 Dragon Challenge (Tier 6)
R75 Mercenary Research

That long haul between R63 and merc research though. :aaa:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Klungar posted:

(Most) every boost in the game is multiplicative, not additive, so yeah, 100% means you double your output.

I am aware of that, but most of the bonuses in the game (as far as I am at least) are more focused on x10 and more increases. A x2 bonus doesn't seem worth the effort of those day-long runs considering that coins required for gems are exponential.
I'll defer to your experience though if you say productive runs later in the game take days and that bonus cuts them in half.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Merijn posted:

I looked this up, and it seems there's a lot of fun on the horizon. :)

That long haul between R63 and merc research though. :aaa:

You go through R63 to, like, R70 in a couple days. Dragons are a huge change. And R75 isn't really the end either, it's just the most recent paradigm shift. There's probably another ascension coming around R100 or so, iirc.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, fine. Got to the stage of Space Company that I'm just waiting on updates so I'm gonna try out Realm Grinder. What version though, is it one of those ones that has a bunch all over the place?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

McDragon posted:

Oh, fine. Got to the stage of Space Company that I'm just waiting on updates so I'm gonna try out Realm Grinder. What version though, is it one of those ones that has a bunch all over the place?

Steam or Kongregate

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I play on mobile, and it's absolutely fine. I do get updates slightly behind the PC version, though.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
A great way to break your RG addiction is to become aware of this: https://dox4242.github.io/edit/edit.html and it's 'Save age' section. If you set that to 30d and re-import your save you get 30 days of offline progress... go wild

regarding versions: I played exclusively on my phone and had no issues. The new UI lends itself well to mobile. Also the phone is the only platform that let me speedhack it.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 27, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'll go for Steam I guess then. Thanks for the heads-up on the mobile version though. I just shouldn't play these on something portable, I get too into them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beasteh posted:

Pro tip if you're just starting realm grinder: TAKE A FEW DAYS OUT TO GET EQUALITY (at least 1 day played as good/evil/neutral, played time has to be within 1 minute of each faction)

It will save you an immense ballache down the road if you get it early
The time is per-reincarnation so it's equally as easy to get later on.

Merijn posted:

You can also use Lara Crypt but since that's not giving me anything right now, I'm not sure if it still works.
It still works but it can't show anything if you don't have a red number on your excavation icon indicating that you are eligible for an artifact pop.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Waiting three days minimum is boring though, especially when your first handful of Reincarnations aren't going to take that long. Even this merc run for Mana Excess (plus other mana trophies) I'm on the tail end of is less than two days!

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Garfu posted:

A great way to break your RG addiction is to become aware of this: https://dox4242.github.io/edit/edit.html and it's 'Save age' section. If you set that to 30d and re-import your save you get 30 days of offline progress... go wild

regarding versions: I played exclusively on my phone and had no issues. The new UI lends itself well to mobile. Also the phone is the only platform that let me speedhack it.

I fully support cheating like this to get the playtime required trophies/researches (especially equality), but in no other situations.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Another RG question. In some builds, e.g. the R27-R29 builds here: http://musicfamily.org/realm/ResearchBuilds/ , they differentiate "buildup" versus "production". What's the difference?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Gilg posted:

Another RG question. In some builds, e.g. the R27-R29 builds here: http://musicfamily.org/realm/ResearchBuilds/ , they differentiate "buildup" versus "production". What's the difference?

Build-up is to buff researches/spells that go off of things like spells cast or faction coins gathered. Tax collection is cheap and thus you can cast more with the same amount of mana. It also produces faction coins. So you're building up researches keyed to those factors. Then production is to take full advantage of the built-up researches.

A really common one later is S400 -- it increases max mana based on the total number of spells cast in a single game. It's common to build that up with a build specifically around goblins and S50, which makes each spell you cast also cast a certain number of tax collections. So you can easily get millions of spells cast, and thus a larger value for S400.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Build-up is to buff researches/spells that go off of things like spells cast or faction coins gathered. Tax collection is cheap and thus you can cast more with the same amount of mana. It also produces faction coins. So you're building up researches keyed to those factors. Then production is to take full advantage of the built-up researches.

A really common one later is S400 -- it increases max mana based on the total number of spells cast in a single game. It's common to build that up with a build specifically around goblins and S50, which makes each spell you cast also cast a certain number of tax collections. So you can easily get millions of spells cast, and thus a larger value for S400.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks!

testsubject
Apr 18, 2006
It's especially important for builds that rely on Vanilla Flavor Juice as you only have 15 minutes - you spam tax collection for 10-11 minutes and then use your full combo for the remaining 4-5

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So, this Equality trophy. Started yesterday, did a day waiting around for neutral, I switched to good. How do I switch to evil tomorrow? Also which faction is good to start with? Thanks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

McDragon posted:

So, this Equality trophy. Started yesterday, did a day waiting around for neutral, I switched to good. How do I switch to evil tomorrow? Also which faction is good to start with? Thanks

abdicate and pick an evil faction, probably demons if you're going to let it sit active, undead if you're going to let it sit offline

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ah, thought that might be the case but wanted to check. Thank you

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

McDragon posted:

Ah, thought that might be the case but wanted to check. Thank you
I'd recommend getting a little more Good time than Neutral time, because when you restart you're forced to rack up Neutral time until you select an Evil faction. Easiest to sync up Good and Evil and then abdicate and sit around not picking a faction until you get it.

It's only a minute or two of optimization if you're careful about it, but the kind of thing you might not think of (like I didn't) and have to go for another few short runs to fix :shobon:

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Can we split realm grinder into its own thread? I've been avoiding this thread since I stopped playing that because trying to find non realm grinder posts is rough

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'd recommend getting a little more Good time than Neutral time, because when you restart you're forced to rack up Neutral time until you select an Evil faction. Easiest to sync up Good and Evil and then abdicate and sit around not picking a faction until you get it.

It's only a minute or two of optimization if you're careful about it, but the kind of thing you might not think of (like I didn't) and have to go for another few short runs to fix :shobon:

wait is neutral time time spent without selecting an alignment or time spent as titans/faceless/whatever?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Gay Hitler posted:

Can we split realm grinder into its own thread? I've been avoiding this thread since I stopped playing that because trying to find non realm grinder posts is rough

That'd just kill this thread though.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 28, 2017

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

botany posted:

wait is neutral time time spent without selecting an alignment or time spent as titans/faceless/whatever?

It's both.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gay Hitler posted:

There aren't any posts other than Realm Grinder.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That'd just kill this thread though.

If this thread only exists for Realm Grinder it's already a Realm Grinder thread & therefore a non-RG idler thread would be nice

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Realm Grinder chat had been basically dead for almost a year, everyone is relapsing. We need new idle games that are good and worth discussing.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
In bitburner you can hack your own machine with the script 'hack' command. In my big script I start after an augment reset by running a script which hacks my home machine 20 times using 600 threads (I have 4 TB of ram on the home machine), this will get me to level 96 or so in hacking in about 5 minutes. I have my script do this before deploying all the weaken/grow/hack scripts to cut down the initial time for the first weaken.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
This thread is so slow it hasn't had a "can we move the talk about [flavor of the month idle] to a new thread?" post since Trimps a few months ago.

I'm clawing my way through R28 and getting that last bit is rough.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Sibling of TB posted:

In bitburner you can hack your own machine with the script 'hack' command. In my big script I start after an augment reset by running a script which hacks my home machine 20 times using 600 threads (I have 4 TB of ram on the home machine), this will get me to level 96 or so in hacking in about 5 minutes. I have my script do this before deploying all the weaken/grow/hack scripts to cut down the initial time for the first weaken.

I did not know you could get xp for hacking your own machine.

The most recent update removed the multi-threading penalty and also allows multiple augments per run (they increase in price for each you purchase in a run, and you have to reset to "install").

It also added scan() for detecting servers.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Does that mean you can now completely automate the process of hacking every host that exists? I didn't really play it but from scanning the documentation it looked like the only obstacle was the lack of a scriptable version of host discovery.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Sindai posted:

Does that mean you can now completely automate the process of hacking every host that exists? I didn't really play it but from scanning the documentation it looked like the only obstacle was the lack of a scriptable version of host discovery.

Theoretically, yes, but doing so without functions or better array support or objects seems daunting.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 28, 2017

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Sindai posted:

It looks like the scan() function only gives you servers directly connected to whatever server it runs on, so you'd have to do some kind of program that recursively installs itself to everything returned from scan() and then uses exec() to run hacking scripts on your home machine or something, I'm way too lazy to code that out right now.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Anfauglir posted:

It looks like the scan() function only gives you servers directly connected to whatever server it runs on, so you'd have to do some kind of program that recursively installs itself to everything returned from scan() and then uses exec() to run hacking scripts on your home machine or something, I'm way too lazy to code that out right now.

That won't work because many servers have 0 RAM, and not just the faction servers.

Nevermind, you can just copy a file and check to see if it exists, duh. Useful perhaps for creating an array of the network locations, but 0-RAM servers are barriers to spreading a virus.

Still sounds rough without functions or recursions, or a simple way to see if an element exists in an array. Oh, also instructions take somewhere between 1-2 seconds.

Probably easiest for now to just use a pre-generated list.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 28, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, good point. Will build up a little buffer then I guess. Thanks for the tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Guys, I'm stuck at R29. I can not get e200 coins for Secrets of the Uderworld, I must have tried every faction and bloodline combo. I'm at 6e111 gems.