Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Qmass posted:

Was that house in a bruce willis movie ? That circle window thing is giving me deja vu.

edit: gently caress me, the dumb poo poo I have wasting space in my brain...

That movie had a bit of notoriety because you got to see Bruce Willis penis and they wanted to make it an NC-17 film. Also as far as sex scenes in a pool, it's a lot better than Showgirls or Wild Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Was there just an architectural movement of giant empty circles in walls in the 80s? Didn't Beetlejuice have the same thing in the tacky outdoor porch?

Edit: oh it was a giant empty square.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

PantsBandit posted:

Does nobody engaging in extra-marital affairs ever use a drat condom?

It was the 80's, nobody used condoms.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hence all the AIDS... in the butt.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I just finished ep7 and Ruth taking off her hat in the ring and her hair being the same shape and size as the hat was some fantastic physical comedy. I'm dying here.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DickStatkus posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because to me this is a bad show that completely squanders the potential of its premise by taking a campy fun and nostalgic thing like GLOW and transfers it into a dank melodramatic world where every character is literally one-note. Not to mention in the writers attempts to shine light on racial stereotyping they created at least two characters who are more tone deafly racist than any real character that was ever on the actual show. Combine that with character arcs to nowhere, uninspired cinematography and direction, flat wrestling action (when it actually happens, for a show about wrestling....) and it feels like every episode is a Netflix series filler episode.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way after watching it over the course of a weekend, although I wasn't expecting amazing wrestling action from a comedy starring Alison Brie. I really wanted to enjoy it a lot more than I did, but meh. It was like they took a really good comedic premise and then put in their drama writers every time it looked like they were about to have fun with it...and then took them out again half the time, because most of the character arcs went nowhere, and when they had resolutions, they were usually just kinda weird like the wolf lady or skeezy Stan Lee's daughter. Even the central conflict of whether or not the show got made rang a little hollow, because I had heard going in that it was based on a real wrestling show that presumably didn't get canceled before they filmed the pilot.

I dunno why they didn't just make it a straight-up comedy.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Phenotype posted:

I dunno why they didn't just make it a straight-up comedy.

I understand your argument, but given the showrunners' background (writing for Nurse Jackie and Orange is the New Black), I'm not surprised by what this show actually is.

Debbie pretty much lays out the thesis of the series. "At first I thought this was silly, but I really like the feeling of using my body for myself and nobody else." The women's wrestling is part of a broader feminist argument: that this trashy, exploitation platform is actually a source of real catharsis and actualization for these women. Ruth embracing Zoya is really about Ruth accepting that she can't control other's perception of her. Debbie's is rejecting a power structure that demands she be passively feminine. Generally speaking, everyone's plot is some variation of how G.L.O.W. empowers them to embrace an identity that mainstream society judges or rejects or misunderstands.

It's also why there's an abortion plot, a divorce plot, and what's essentially a trans coming-out plot (Sheila's otherkin story.) The show's about feminism in the 80's...the wrestling is set dressing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xealot posted:

It's also why there's an abortion plot, a divorce plot, and what's essentially a trans coming-out plot (Sheila's otherkin story.) The show's about feminism in the 80's.

I agree but I would add that the show is also often about the 80s themselves, mostly for humor but also for capturing a certain innocence about sleaze and excess.

It's also got a lot of "working class hero" in the vein of Rocky and The Wrestler.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

precision posted:

I agree but I would add that the show is also often about the 80s themselves, mostly for humor but also for capturing a certain innocence about sleaze and excess.

It's also got a lot of "working class hero" in the vein of Rocky and Creed.

Also true. The first point definitely lands with Bash...what an endearing coke-fueled idiot.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
a straight-up comedy about wrestling would just be mocking wrestling which is a pretty low hurdle to clear

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

GobiasIndustries posted:

a straight-up comedy about wrestling would just be mocking wrestling which is a pretty low hurdle to clear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6TzBOFVaao

Chikara has you covered, friend.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Xealot posted:

I understand your argument, but given the showrunners' background (writing for Nurse Jackie and Orange is the New Black), I'm not surprised by what this show actually is.

Debbie pretty much lays out the thesis of the series. "At first I thought this was silly, but I really like the feeling of using my body for myself and nobody else." The women's wrestling is part of a broader feminist argument: that this trashy, exploitation platform is actually a source of real catharsis and actualization for these women. Ruth embracing Zoya is really about Ruth accepting that she can't control other's perception of her. Debbie's is rejecting a power structure that demands she be passively feminine. Generally speaking, everyone's plot is some variation of how G.L.O.W. empowers them to embrace an identity that mainstream society judges or rejects or misunderstands.

It's also why there's an abortion plot, a divorce plot, and what's essentially a trans coming-out plot (Sheila's otherkin story.) The show's about feminism in the 80's...the wrestling is set dressing.

I mean, I see that, but I just don't think it's done especially well. Like Welfare Queen who goes through this whole thing about how she doesn't want her kids to see her like that...and then ends up going on as Welfare Queen anyway with kind of a half-assed "we're USING the stereotypes" justification. Or Sheila's story, which would have seemed a lot more sensible as an actual trans coming-out plot, but just doesn't land the way they want it to when she's coming out as a proto-furry or whatever.

I dunno, like I said, I think it would have been a better show if they played up the comedy a lot more, but I feel like they didn't pull off the character arcs nearly as well as they should have if that was their emphasis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually think the Welfare Queen thing is a little more clever than that. We already saw that Debbie didn't want to work with Tamme because when they tried it, Welfare Queen came off as the babyface, the marginalised black woman fighting back against the face of prissy white Southern privilege. So what does Sam do at the actual taping? Hotshot a storyline where they HAVE to wrestle later.

There was also a discussion in the comments at the AV Club that highlighted something I thought was interesting: Maybe the reason Cherry's not involved in those 'auditions' for GLOW's top heel is because Sam knows that Junkchain MIGHT be able to pull it off in a Rocky vs Apollo Creed kind of way, and that Cherry's a good enough actress that she'd see that angle too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It felt like Cherry was supposed to have an ever larger role than she already does but that a lot of it ended up on the cutting room floor. I suspect it got pushed to season 2 since they left in all the setup stuff (her past with Sam, her pilot, etc)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It really feels like this show should have been longer and that all of these are seeds for future plot threads. I'm sure Netflix purposely ordered a small number of episodes because it's kind of an out-there concept for a show and they wanted to make sure it was positively received.

I wouldn't be surprised if next season was double the length, or switches to an hour long format.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

It really feels like this show should have been longer and that all of these are seeds for future plot threads. I'm sure Netflix purposely ordered a small number of episodes because it's kind of an out-there concept for a show and they wanted to make sure it was positively received.

I wouldn't be surprised if next season was double the length, or switches to an hour long format.

Yeah they really tried to have too many characters for 10 30 minute episodes.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Gaz-L posted:

There was also a discussion in the comments at the AV Club that highlighted something I thought was interesting: Maybe the reason Cherry's not involved in those 'auditions' for GLOW's top heel is because Sam knows that Junkchain MIGHT be able to pull it off in a Rocky vs Apollo Creed kind of way, and that Cherry's a good enough actress that she'd see that angle too.

That's very interesting. It highlights that the only one who can work as a heel for Debbie is Ruth. Since Debbie's character represents the USA, the superpower with lots of money and strenght, fighting anyone else makes you root for the underdog. The only one who can match her persona/presence is Ruth with her Soviet Union gimmick and personality. Maaaaybe Fortune Cookie, but Jenny doesn't have a personality strong enough to make the audience dislike her as much as the godless communist that mocks all-american values.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kal-L posted:

Maaaaybe Fortune Cookie, but Jenny doesn't have a personality strong enough to make the audience dislike her as much as the godless communist that mocks all-american values.

Yeah, that and Ellen Wong is absolutely tiny. There's just not any sense of competition there.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Kal-L posted:

That's very interesting. It highlights that the only one who can work as a heel for Debbie is Ruth. Since Debbie's character represents the USA, the superpower with lots of money and strenght, fighting anyone else makes you root for the underdog. The only one who can match her persona/presence is Ruth with her Soviet Union gimmick and personality. Maaaaybe Fortune Cookie, but Jenny doesn't have a personality strong enough to make the audience dislike her as much as the godless communist that mocks all-american values.

Give someone a Nazi gimmick in season 2
book it

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Sockser posted:

Give someone a Nazi gimmick in season 2
book it

Aubrey Plaza as an evil hot Nazi heel with terrible accent to match Ruth's would be glorious. And that poo poo writes itself: have Liberty Belle and Zoya tag-team to beat her, or have a Russia vs. Nazi "who's the baddest?" match.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaz-L posted:

I actually think the Welfare Queen thing is a little more clever than that. We already saw that Debbie didn't want to work with Tamme because when they tried it, Welfare Queen came off as the babyface, the marginalised black woman fighting back against the face of prissy white Southern privilege. So what does Sam do at the actual taping? Hotshot a storyline where they HAVE to wrestle later.

Yeah, "Welfare Queen"'s whole narrative makes a lot more sense if you figure that she and Sam had to be working on that swerve at least since the "audition" she did with "Liberty Belle." Tamme's concerned about this being exploitative and racist, Sam assures it there's more to it, she runs on faith for a little while and then the Liberty Belle thing happens. Sam and her then conspire behind the scenes to craft that storyline that really is what Sam promised and that justifies Tamme really going with Welfare Queen. So like when she's tagging with Cherry and Cherry's upset that Sam's just throwing the black ladies together and asks "Do you see what's happening here?" Tamme doesn't give her anything, not because she's clueless or suddenly doesn't care about that stuff. Its because she knows there's something coming with the character like Sam promised.

Cherry's interesting and I think part of her character is a foil to Ruth. Ruth's got this whole run where she really wants a starring role at the start of things and keeps trying to redefine her character to make it fit, and then eventually she not only accepts being the heel who makes Debbie/Liberty Belle look good but at least acts content with taking a back seat when it seems like Debbie might leave and leave her hanging. Ruth seems to find a lot more peace with the behind the scenes roll she's picking up and just being part of everything. That plays with Cherry who starts the whole thing also looking for a chance to star for Sam instead of doing stunt work, struggles with the idea of being pushed back behind the scenes, eventually starts to embrace and enjoy it, and then again struggles when she thinks she's getting pushed aside by Sam's booking. She rebooks that whole KKK angle to make her and Tamme into stars and then gets the chance to star in a TV show. Now the choice she's got is whether she wants to get that break she's been looking for or if she enjoys being part of the team more even if the spotlight's not on her.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 29, 2017

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Sam came up with the "Welfare Queen" win on the spur of the moment as a response to the finish of the match, it's explicitly said in the episode, and there's an indication that watching the first taping is the moment when Sam finally gets prowrestling for the first time.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Watching it with a wrestlefriend, we came to the conclusion that Sam is a combination of Vince Russo and Jim Cornette.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Senerio posted:

Watching it with a wrestlefriend, we came to the conclusion that Sam is a combination of Vince Russo and Jim Cornette.

If such a thing existed it would cause time and space to fold upon itself, destroying all life.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Senerio posted:

Not even Sam hates women that much.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This show is a lot of fun I was surprised they didn't make it explicit that Debbie's husband is loving his therapist though. Between his sleeping with her best friend and the fake divorce papers that would have been the trifecta "this guy is literally a walking talking soap opera character" and I liked how the show set up her channeling her life being a soap opera into her life being wrestling.

Part of me wished the episodes were longer or that there were more of them because I love the characters here but realistically I don't think the show needs it. Other than having maybe one too many scenes of Brie being super enthusiastic about acting there wasn't really a moment that felt wasted. And I'd rather that than something like Jessica Jones which I loved but there was a solid four episodes of stuff that could have not existed and no one would have noticed.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Enjoyed the first season. Being a Kohan project, we're due for 2 more good seasons before the show dives off a cliff.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Off topic a bit, but did anyone here watch Nurse Jackie and how did you feel about it?

It was a show that to me never quite found it's footing, and although I watched every episode I was never sure why I was watching it because I can't say I enjoyed it in retrospect. Most of my time was spent wondering what ridiculous way the writers were going to keep Jackie out of series trouble, and her life slowly devolved but I never felt sympathy for her. I think it's hard with drug addicts, because they're less sympathetic characters due to cultural and social stigma surrounding addiction but they certainly didn't paint her very well. I was mostly apathetic I guess and that's where I found the problem with the show; I wasn't rooting for or excited by seeing her world collapse, but I wasn't sympathetic enough towards the character to want to see her overcome her demons either.

The show always felt like it was too busy trying to hold onto the status quo as well in terms of keeping all the same characters at the hospital, and keeping the hospital as this quirky place that provides a stage for the rest of the drama, but isn't really part of the show itself if that makes sense.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

PaybackJack posted:

Off topic a bit, but did anyone here watch Nurse Jackie and how did you feel about it?

It was a show that to me never quite found it's footing, and although I watched every episode I was never sure why I was watching it because I can't say I enjoyed it in retrospect. Most of my time was spent wondering what ridiculous way the writers were going to keep Jackie out of series trouble, and her life slowly devolved but I never felt sympathy for her. I think it's hard with drug addicts, because they're less sympathetic characters due to cultural and social stigma surrounding addiction but they certainly didn't paint her very well. I was mostly apathetic I guess and that's where I found the problem with the show; I wasn't rooting for or excited by seeing her world collapse, but I wasn't sympathetic enough towards the character to want to see her overcome her demons either.

The show always felt like it was too busy trying to hold onto the status quo as well in terms of keeping all the same characters at the hospital, and keeping the hospital as this quirky place that provides a stage for the rest of the drama, but isn't really part of the show itself if that makes sense.

I enjoyed Nurse Jackie a lot, although I loathed Jackie. I found her family relationships really engaging, and her friendships with Dr. O'Hara, and subequently Zoey, really interesting as well. I really liked the idea of the nursing side of an ER show, and her double life with Eddie and her family. I loved to hate it, but in retrospect it was quite a good show, and sometimes I watch the last episode again when I need a good cry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nurse Jackie starts strong and Edie Falco is great as always but it's just kind of ehhhh.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've been meaning to finish it. I fell off around season 4. Really loved it, but I didn't have enough spare time with other shows.

Edie Falco is a treasure.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I love Maron as a Crumbesque guy deoing crude social commentary that ends up appearing to endorse what he's critiquing

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The costumes, hair, and makeup are so great. Zoya's final look is amazing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Between catching up on Stranger Things and this, I think I might be suffering from acute fake 80s overdose.

I'm really quite liking it so far, around E4, so I haven't read the whole thread due to spoilers. But I do hope they stick a bit more with the premise and don't do whole episodes of original stuff like coked out Hollywood parties.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
If a show is set in the 1980s, then I'm going to watch it. Something about the era always enthralls me. That said, I really enjoyed the poo poo out of GLOW. The dialog was great, and there were moments I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. The line, "Porn you can watch with your kids. FINALLY!" especially stuck with me.

Either way, great show, A+ will watch again.

I've also been on bed rest for a week after a minor surgery, and never looked to see how many, or how long the episodes were. I was bummed when I suddenly realized I burned through the whole lot of them. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've no idea where but I have 100% heard that "Porn you can watch with your kids" line before, a long time ago. Probably in some stand-up routine?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hahaha holy poo poo, GLOW on Family Feud!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sebM08wr46k

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Good lord that NWA/WCW line-up, though. Brad Armstrong AND Tom Zenk?! What STAR POWER!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Kal-L posted:

I think that was more of a Hail Mary play. Ruth knew that Debbie would be in the audience at least, and was setting it up in the hope that Debbie would finally go all in and embrace being Liberty Belle.

You're a mark and got worked, brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gaz-L posted:

Good lord that NWA/WCW line-up, though. Brad Armstrong AND Tom Zenk?! What STAR POWER!

Hey they got Sting!... :smith:

• Locked thread