Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
You'd have to be pretty blind to not see the blatant screen tearing issues in that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
The Training mission where you descend to the surface of a planet is utterly confounding me. Granted I was playing super late and was tired but I managed to get through all the other training missions up to that point.

I kept restarting the training missions in order to re-hear what the trainer was saying before I started fiddling with the controls and realized I could actually check the logs (Square+Up on D pad). I wished some other visual indicator would point out what the hell she's talking about.

Anywho - I'm on the 'land on surface of planet' and it says hold down to descend. So I hold down. For about 15 minutes. I kept getting "you need a permit to land" and tried to move around to another part of the planet but it seemed to not move - even though I know I was moving around (retracted landing gear to go faster).

What the hell am I missing? All the videos I find online are from the PC game and show going from Hyperspace to a planet - which seems to make more sense than the training mission where you just start above a planet.

poo poo I just remembered, she says "there's a settlement just ahead" but I didn't see squat. Is that a bug?

I ended up giving up and just started a game because I wanted to get into it thinking that training mission was just buggy.

edit: One last thing - MAD PROPS to the default controls having Y-Inverted. That poo poo made me so happy.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 28, 2017

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cracker King posted:

Anywho - I'm on the 'land on surface of planet' and it says hold down to descend. So I hold down. For about 15 minutes. I kept getting "you need a permit to land" and tried to move around to another part of the planet but it seemed to not move - even though I know I was moving around (retracted landing gear to go faster).

Are you on PC? Do you have the expansion? If so, you might have launched the normal client instead of the horizons client.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

Nah, I'm not a member of the PC master race. I'm on PS4. I saw a LOT of forum posts with that exact question though, ha.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cracker King posted:

Nah, I'm not a member of the PC master race. I'm on PS4. I saw a LOT of forum posts with that exact question though, ha.

Just to make sure, you did get the full thing that included Horizons? I don't see it as beyond them to leave the landing training in the game and it being broken even when you don't have the DLC.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok so doing the docking training. I'm in the base (Azerban City) I'm over the target circle area of the dock. My landing gear is down. I'm facing the way the chevrons are pointing me (back outside). I just keep sparking and bouncing off the ground and now I'm out of time.

What the gently caress.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

Oh definitely. I got the Commander Deluxe Edition which has Horizon's season pass.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

Ok so doing the docking training. I'm in the base (Azerban City) I'm over the target circle area of the dock. My landing gear is down. I'm facing the way the chevrons are pointing me (back outside). I just keep sparking and bouncing off the ground and now I'm out of time.

What the gently caress.

Granted it's been years since I've done it so I don't recall if you even have to for the training mission, but did you request landing permission from the station?

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

Feenix posted:

What the gently caress.

I had the same problem. You may be too low. I found it was easier to 'hover' above the target and then descending down to the landing pad.

It's very finicky.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

If it's telling you to face the exit to land, somethings hosed up, you ALWAYS land facing the arse end of the station.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Wolfechu posted:

If it's telling you to face the exit to land, somethings hosed up, you ALWAYS land facing the arse end of the station.

Oh yeah this is very true. It's lead me to many a 'wrong way' on small outposts but for big stations you always land facing the inside, not the mail slot.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Granted it's been years since I've done it so I don't recall if you even have to for the training mission, but did you request landing permission from the station?

Oh, Yes. Definitely. I did that. I'm all good... I even have the countdown window for my docking.

Wolfechu posted:

It's not TELLING me to face the exit. It's TELLINg me to align with the chevrons on the pad. Which... are pointing to the outside. Sooo... naturally.

I will try that though.. :)

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Feenix posted:

What the gently caress.

Big stations should have you facing the back of the station when you're going in to land, then it turns the platform around to exit. The giant glowing holographic "36" or whatever pad number should be at the nose of your ship.

Then you just have to line up your dot with the center so the indicator lines turn blue and slowly descend onto the pad.

EDIT: Maybe it was referring to chevrons on the UI display of the landing pad and not the actual pad itself?

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 28, 2017

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Feenix posted:

Oh, Yes. Definitely. I did that. I'm all good... I even have the countdown window for my docking.

It's not TELLING me to face the exit. It's TELLINg me to align with the chevrons on the pad. Which... are pointing to the outside. Sooo... naturally.

I will try that though.. :)

Another tip, to be sure: There'll be be angled blast shield at the back of the pad, your butt should be facing that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

You always land facing the number hologram for the pad. Most useful for outposts since in stations you land facing inward. It'd be a bit silly if you had to enter the bay and turn around.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
YEah that was it. This tutorial still leaves a lot to be desired. But there you go! I did it. :)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I always just remember to align using the display at two bottom. You should be looking at your engines on that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

RFC2324 posted:

I always just remember to align using the display at two bottom. You should be looking at your engines on that.

Once in a while I'll come in the correct way but my ship is backwards because the pad was in its little animation thing. It finished its dance and swapped around and I could land finally. Confusing as hell.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cracker King posted:

It's very finicky.
Everyone says this at first.

In a week you'll be boosting through the slot and powerskidding onto the pad and wondering what all the fuss was about, I guarantee.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

tooterfish posted:

In a week you'll be boosting through the slot and powerskidding onto the pad and wondering what all the fuss was about, I guarantee.

Oh god this brings back memories of my first time smuggling :allears:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just want to reiterate how peeved I am that there is ample screen tearing and judder on Pro on Performance Settings when the Devs were on a PS4 Live stream a week ago like "oh, hey, people are saying there is screen tearing on our stream. We totally don't see it! Must be the capture device! Don't worry!"

That is some underhanded poo poo.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Anyone know why this game refuses to load past the initial PS4 title screen for me? Nothing on google

Fully downloaded, twice 😭

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

tooterfish posted:

I look forward to it! I'm probably gonna get a joystick/throttle for this.

This reminds me of how I imaged Privateer would be (my cool uncle used to play that).

What's the deal with landing on planet surface on PS4? I'm still having issues with that even though I have Horizons :(

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It is really, really hard to land in this game. I don't really have the hang of dropping out of supercruise either. But it's fun and I feel like I'll get it eventually.

For some reason my landing override controls have my throttle all the way up even if I'm not touching the controller. So I have to jam down L2 to be able to just hover precariously above the spot. It almost feels like I've got multiple buttons bound to the same function or something. Maybe I'll record a video for advice if it keeps happening cuz it's making landing a near-death experience every time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cracker King posted:

This reminds me of how I imaged Privateer would be (my cool uncle used to play that).

:cry: :corsair:

Dumbfire Rocketman
Jul 30, 2009

a drunk european baby
is putting u in ur place

Fishreds99 posted:

We were the ones that reported the bug and filed a public bug report at the behest of frontier. Good try though.

No.

You don't get to take credit for this. This exploit was deliberately discovered in order to gain artificial advantages over others. You and your group used the exploit for months in order to gain game-breaking advantages over people that you already dropped 8 FDL's on to kill. Frontier worked with you and included you in their lore while you were actively cheating in their game and bragging about your "skills." You are a liar and a cheater and have finally suffered fairly light consequences for your actions. Try not to get salty when the door hits you on the way out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey game, I appreciate you tried to show me the ropes in Tutorial mode. You think maybe you could tell me how to access my loving email inbox up top left? I have 3 messages and no way I can tell to read them...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Did you continue to abuse it after reporting?

:thunk:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

[quote="“Feenix”" post="“473855860”"]
I just want to reiterate how peeved I am that there is ample screen tearing and judder on Pro on Performance Settings when the Devs were on a PS4 Live stream a week ago like “oh, hey, people are saying there is screen tearing on our stream. We totally don’t see it! Must be the capture device! Don’t worry!”

That is some underhanded poo poo.
[/quote]

Man your inevitable meltdown is going to be amazing :discourse:

(Not excusing frontier but we’ve been down this road before.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Man your inevitable meltdown is going to be amazing :discourse:

(Not excusing frontier but we’ve been down this road before.)

Eh. I mean, it's not worth ruining my day over. Just kind of lovely for the devs to act like it's totally not something that happens in their game. Just about everything I do has some kind of stutter or pause before it executes. Screen tearing. Low rear end framerate (Single digits) when it pans back to center before it opens the galaxy map. Super low framerate as it spins up the FSD.

It's really unfortunate. Hopefully the game sinks its hooks into me before I get tired of how badly this seems to run.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Hey game, I appreciate you tried to show me the ropes in Tutorial mode. You think maybe you could tell me how to access my loving email inbox up top left? I have 3 messages and no way I can tell to read them...

You might want to go to the settings and configure your controls, but the way it is defaulted (a good way btw) is you have your left, right, and down panels that are selected with whatever control scheme you have (outside of head tracking or VR). Notice how the message system is 'up' from those? Try doing the same thing as to get to the left or right panel, but by using an up button. Hth.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

Eh. I mean, it's not worth ruining my day over. Just kind of lovely for the devs to act like it's totally not something that happens in their game. Just about everything I do has some kind of stutter or pause before it executes. Screen tearing. Low rear end framerate (Single digits) when it pans back to center before it opens the galaxy map. Super low framerate as it spins up the FSD.

It's really unfortunate. Hopefully the game sinks its hooks into me before I get tired of how badly this seems to run.

Try Arena mode

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Buccaneer posted:

Try Arena mode

I hear no one is there. Is that to say it's better or worse?! Lol!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That sucks about the performance issues you're having. It's a little hitchy when transitioning between different forms of travel and stuff like that on the regular PS4, but I haven't noticed any screen tearing. Maybe it has a capped frame rate on regular ps4 and uncapped on pro or something?

Also lovely that they said it wasn't there, but to give them the benefit of the doubt, not everyone is sensitive to that kind of thing. Or maybe it's something weird about the display they were using? Or they're just jerks.

One thing that's a surprise bonus on the PS4 is that the SIXAXIS motion control for looking around actually feels really natural! It's not as good as TrackIR, but it's better than nothing. I hope Ace Combat 7 steals that idea. I'm trying to think of other games that do something worthwhile with the motion sensing in the PlayStation controllers, and I can't think of any.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Docking in the tutorial makes me want to return this already.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
There is no docking in Arena mode.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

magiccarpet posted:

Docking in the tutorial makes me want to return this already.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
BTW...NERD UPDATE. Over on Canon or whatever, the hardcore nerds have found five Thargoid bases, and one of them is live/functioning. Generated a starmap when they used unknown artefacts/unknown probes/unknown links (via a spectromapped sound that came out). They are working on triangulating where it leads.

Mr. WTF fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 29, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. WTF posted:

BTW...NERD UPDATE. Over on Canon or whatever, the hardcore nerds have found five Thargoid bases, and one of them is live/functioning. Generated a starmap when they used unknown artefacts/unknown probes/unknown links (via a spectromapped sound that came out). They are working on triangulating where it leads.

man could you imagine if :frontear: made content for neurotypicals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:ssh: it's way more fun to take guardian relics

• Locked thread