Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe the portrait artist was being optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The real issue with Mauritius is that, from what I remember, the historical model for Jack in that campaign basically got All The Awards and retired for life right afterwards, so if O'Brian gave him realistic rewards, so would Jack.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The real issue with Mauritius is that, from what I remember, the historical model for Jack in that campaign basically got All The Awards and retired for life right afterwards, so if O'Brian gave him realistic rewards, so would Jack.

Rowley went on to become Admiral etc. and commanded some major area (the Med?) after the Napoleonic Wars. Dude definitely didn't retire. I always put it to the artist giving Jack the rewards he *ought* to have received, not necessarily what he actually *did*.

Edit: Hell, maybe it's an allusion to what Rowley received but Jack didn't because of his father. I remember he should have gotten some kind of reward (knighting?) for the Waakzemheid but his dad was busy being a dick.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hehe I never noticed before but it seems like Diana is making her way towards propositioning Stephen in the hotel in Boston but he (and the reader) are so preoccupied he doesn't pay any attention.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I never realized Stephen's friend in Paris M. La Motte was gay but he practically says as much.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Arglebargle III posted:

I never realized Stephen's friend in Paris M. La Motte was gay but he practically says as much.

I have always loved that. Stephen is an intelligence officer and a genius strategist who has to figure out who in Paris should be the host for his beloved but very likely to gently caress off with somebody else wife. He naturally finds the perfect person.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I love the comedy he gets out of Graham, a very dry and stuffy character, like:

"You ought to have put on old boots before you went a-diving," said Graham, who had not studied moral philosophy in vain.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Graham brought out the best in Maturin. "Puddings. We trice 'em athwart the starboard gumbrils, when sailing by and large."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just came across a supreme irony in the movie trivia for the 2003 Master and Commander film: Paul Bettany, who played Maturin, was the only one of the cast who knew how to sail.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like that when O'Brien has decided to kill Harte, this nasty, incompetent, pathetic, grasping character he's built up over ten years, he has Jack discover that Harte uses some of his fortune to rescue Christian slaves every year. I'd forgotten about that.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Got a new job with lots of driving, I signed up for audible but I'm probably going to get through more than a book a month, what's the cheapest option for the Patrick Tull audiobooks if you buy them in one go or the like?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Molybdenum posted:

Got a new job with lots of driving, I signed up for audible but I'm probably going to get through more than a book a month, what's the cheapest option for the Patrick Tull audiobooks if you buy them in one go or the like?

See if your library has them on CD.

Arglebargle III posted:

I like that when O'Brien has decided to kill Harte, this nasty, incompetent, pathetic, grasping character he's built up over ten years, he has Jack discover that Harte uses some of his fortune to rescue Christian slaves every year. I'd forgotten about that.

That's what I love about this series. I can't think of a single character that's one dimensional, even the completely unlikable pain in the rear end.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

By my count, Jack Aubrey crashed HM Ships Polychrest, Leopard, Ariel, and Diane. The man's a menace!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Doesn't someone make that point in his trial?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

By my count, Jack Aubrey crashed HM Ships Polychrest, Leopard, Ariel, and Diane. The man's a menace!

Polychrest: Badly damaged by shore based batteries during the cutting out of the Fanciulla - and it wasn't even the shot holes, but its second-rate and corrupt construction - the seams opened 'like a flower'.

Leopard: Hit an ice island in heavy fog.

Ariel: run aground after being embayed; Jack could possibly have weathered that point were it not for his Lieutenant's incompetence/dyslexia in confusing larboard/starboard.

Diane: Run on a reef due to the incompetence of the 2nd Lieutenant, who did not reef topsails at nightfall as per his orders. (had he done so, the ship could have been brought off before the onset of an act-of-god hurricane)

So there aren't any occasions where it was really something he'd be convicted of by court-martial. Interestingly, we don't see any court-martials after the initial one for losing Sophie in Master & Commander. I know you're joking, but I wanted to show off that I remmber all that without cracking the books. I've definitely read them too much.

I suppose it's a consequence of the lengthening of Aubrey's career throughout the extended 1813. I mean, how many successful single-ship actions has he undertaken? Must be more than any of his historical sources.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm counting every ship that ran aground while under his command.

These books are full of foreshadowing; the very first speaking line Elliott has is apologizing for ignoring orders he didn't think were important.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
If you read some books about tall ships then running aground and/or bad weather near a coast is basically the #1 reason to lose a ship. Sometimes I think there wasn't a single ship in service for more than 5 years that's hasn't been run aground several times and even outstanding captains seem to have had the misfortune several times in their careers. I guess running aground didn't rate very high in Court Martials and were probably routine thing, like a speeding ticket.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey, I just read that! It was even before he became wealthy, he'd been doing it for years and gave Jack money to do it for him since he didn't think he'd have time to do it.

Then BOOM

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Really enjoying Post-Captain after finding the last third of M&C kind of a slog. The part where Jack disguises himself as a bear to sneak into Spain is hilarious but maybe possibly just a little bit far-fetched.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I have to say that on my latest re-read I've had a clear dip in interest from roughly The Wine-Dark Sea onwards. There's some great moments but overall the patterns are a bit too familiar.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is Master and Commander (the movie) worth watching?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Xander77 posted:

Absolutely.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

:same:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Xander77 posted:

100%, it's great.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm still fuming that they never made a sequel.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
There is still hope! I mean the Surprise is just sitting there in San Diego being rad. Seriously, if you ever go to San Diego make sure to visit.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
It's surprising because there is definitely a contingent out there that dislikes the movie greatly. I liked it and didn't mind it as a mashup of three books. It's probably the best we're going to get anytime soon, which is also how I felt about the LOTR movies.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It probably helps that I'd never heard of the books when I went to see the movie (I was 15 or 16 at the time). I fell in love with it, and that led me to seek out the books. Shortly after seeing the movie I was in a bookstore with my parents, and they had that boxed set with all of the books plus 21 in 5 hardback volumes, so I got my parents to buy it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Honestly that a movie got made at all is a miracle and the fact that it's a good movie was a second miracle on top of that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The movie is great and as faithful as you can expect. There isn't really an ending so it's perfect in that respect.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's s testament to what can happen when you put a real director in charge of an action movie, as opposed to a scrub like Zach Snyder or Michael Bay.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Master and Commander isn't really an action movie, it's more of an adventure movie. There's two actions in the film and the rest is everyday life, heavy weather around the horn, the doldrums & Hollum's story, landfall at the Galapagos, Stephen getting shot, trepanning Plaice, officers chatting about the design and force of the Acheron and Blakeney having people try to cheer him up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arglebargle III posted:

Master and Commander isn't really an action movie, it's more of an adventure movie. There's two actions in the film and the rest is everyday life, heavy weather around the horn, the doldrums & Hollum's story, landfall at the Galapagos, Stephen getting shot, trepanning Plaice, officers chatting about the design and force of the Acheron and Blakeney having people try to cheer him up.

So what I'm hearing is it has everything

I saw it when it came.out but it's been years

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

The Lord Bude posted:

It's s testament to what can happen when you put a real director in charge of an action movie, as opposed to a scrub like Zach Snyder or Michael Bay.

Jerry Bruckheimer's "The Wine Dark Sea"

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Jerry Bruckheimer's "The Wine Dark Sea"

In a world... where sail was king...

[cue 95 minutes of explosions set to an Aerosmith song]

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Xander77 posted:

It's one of my favorite movies and what led to me starting to read the series. I think that the simple setting allows the actors room to breath and show their talent, with Russel Crowe and Paul Bettany in particular doing a great job bouncing off each other.

It blows my mind that it didn't get a sequel, but I read that Crowe read the books after filming wrapped up and became a fan of the series. It'd be nice if they brought it back for another movie, but the original cast is getting to the age that it might not be feasible for them.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Professor Shark posted:

It's one of my favorite movies and what led to me starting to read the series. I think that the simple setting allows the actors room to breath and show their talent, with Russel Crowe and Paul Bettany in particular doing a great job bouncing off each other.

It blows my mind that it didn't get a sequel, but I read that Crowe read the books after filming wrapped up and became a fan of the series. It'd be nice if they brought it back for another movie, but the original cast is getting to the age that it might not be feasible for them.

Everyone except the studio wanted a sequel. The financial costs were too high for them, apparently.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Professor Shark posted:

What, you can't see them filming The Hundred Days at this point? I think they're almost at a perfect age for that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

M&C is a perfect subject for a prestige miniseries with a big CG budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ItalicSquirrels posted:

What, you can't see them filming The Hundred Days at this point? I think they're almost at a perfect age for that.

I'm only on book 10