Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I was thinking of that, but I don't know if it would work with my setup. I have the baking steel on the top rack of the oven and I don't think I would have enough room for my hand to be able to slide it off the peel.

Just a traditional wooden one is probably more in my wheelhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I used this guy before needing to get a longer handle after buying the WFO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0137CVKCY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slid really easily, felt good in the hand.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

I used this guy before needing to get a longer handle after buying the WFO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0137CVKCY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slid really easily, felt good in the hand.

That's the one I was looking at, actually.

Only thing is the size-seems kinda small. I was making 14" pizzas in the gas oven and 12" on my deni pizza Bella electric, so the peel would work fine for the electric oven, but I'd have to use smaller dough for the gas oven...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

nwiniwn posted:

That's the one I was looking at, actually.

Only thing is the size-seems kinda small. I was making 14" pizzas in the gas oven and 12" on my deni pizza Bella electric, so the peel would work fine for the electric oven, but I'd have to use smaller dough for the gas oven...

I use this monstrosity and it works great. Barely fits in my kitchen when going in and out of the oven.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I use a pretty basic folding handle alum peel and.... Parchment paper. I remove the paper after a few minutes. Works incredibly well. Don't care if it's cheating.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nwiniwn posted:

Purchased. I figure for $24, why not.

I made some pizza last night that might be my best one yet using a lovely gas oven and a recipe from the pizzamaking forums. Only problem I'm still having is getting the dough stretched out thin enough. It's tough to stretch it out uniform and I keep getting some parts thicker than others.

Are you making the dough into a ball and letting it rest before shaping? Round dough makes a round pizza.

Also, Manco & Manco in Ocean City, NJ has the thinnest crust around. If you watch them make it, they stack two doughs and stretch it thin, then peel them apart for two super ultra thin crusts. I can't find a decent YouTube, but there might be a video out there.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

FogHelmut posted:

Are you making the dough into a ball and letting it rest before shaping? Round dough makes a round pizza.

Also, Manco & Manco in Ocean City, NJ has the thinnest crust around. If you watch them make it, they stack two doughs and stretch it thin, then peel them apart for two super ultra thin crusts. I can't find a decent YouTube, but there might be a video out there.

So with my dough...I'm trying something new.

There's a recipe on chef steps on making bagels and it explains how to round dough. I hadn't been doing that in the past-just kneading it into a ball. I'm hopeful that rounding it like that and letting it rest for 2-3 hours will help. At this point I think it will be trying to get everything uniform, as before rounding I would have 1/4 pizza rolled out great and 3/4 too thick so we will see.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Another day, another chance to make pizzas for friends who are in town visiting!

Diavola in the oven

And right out of the oven

Margherita

Soppressata and Arugula

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

My regular oven has been broken for a couple months now, so about three weeks ago I decided to pick up a little "Breville Crispy Crust" so I could cook stuff in the meantime and it's worked out OK.

I've only tried making pizza a handful of times like 7 years ago and it's mostly been a disaster, but ever since I started properly trying it's been turning out much better. The oven itself has a stone in it, one day I'd like to get a proper pizza oven

The oven gets to 350°C apparently (but opening/closing, lack of air circulation, thermostat cycling between on/off) probably results in a lower temperature.

First attempt:

This was maybe 6 minutes or so - I was eyeballing it through the window. Looks OK but the dough recipe I use is pretty unforgiving of lower temperatures and higher cooktimes - it was basically a biscuit.

Since the outside takes quite a while to get any kind of charring (even though the inside of the dough is fine when cooking), I tried something different: lowered the cooking time to 3-4 minutes, and finished the crust off with a propane blowtorch.

Later attempts:

The crust is nice and elastic, crispy on the bottom (I decided to very quickly torch the bottom of the crust before popping it into the oven - also helps with sliding it off a peel a bit), and the cheese doesn't dry out like it would at longer cook times

So yeah, blowtorch works really well for me even if it's not really a traditional method. I also did a very cheap steak sous vide by wrapping it up in plastic in a water cooler at 55°C, followed by finishing it with a blowtorch

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
^ Sexy looking pies and steak. I dig the blowtorch use. Really great way to accommodate and avoid broken/chewy cheese.

I finally got around to making mozz from scratch successfully. First time I tried, I had homogenized, ultra-pasteurized milk that didn't break at all, and was a complete loss. Got the right milk this time, and it turned out pretty good. Was a little too firm a texture, but melted GREAT and was awesome on the pizzas. I found out the reason for the texture the next day. Turns out under the packing label on the rennet there was a warning that said "This rennet is double concentrated, use half as much as any recipe calls for", so I am betting that the proteins got over-coagulated. Live and learn.

Haven't made pizza in over a month, so my 5 unmolested basil plants went crazy and needed to be trimmed back, so.... Pesto!

Also in the garden, got some really nice Early Girl tomatoes, so tried out a caprese pizza. (not pictured, balsamic reduction). Was really good, but loses a bit of what is special about home grown tomatoes.

Good marinara made with oregano from the garden that I dried. The oregano was actually not as good as the fancy stuff I get from the store, so will stick with that in the future. Doubled the normal amount of garlic. Going to keep doing it in the future.

Used the pesto for a pesto, homemade mozz, and smoked bleu cheese. Good, but not great. Funnily enough, the bleu and the pesto got a little lost in each other. Will probably not repeat.

And I keep going back to my all time favorite. Calabrese, mozz, parm, tomatoes, Ning Chi Extra Hot fermented chili oil. Un-loving-believably good as always.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

^ Sexy looking pies and steak. I dig the blowtorch use. Really great way to accommodate and avoid broken/chewy cheese.

I finally got around to making mozz from scratch successfully. First time I tried, I had homogenized, ultra-pasteurized milk that didn't break at all, and was a complete loss. Got the right milk this time, and it turned out pretty good. Was a little too firm a texture, but melted GREAT and was awesome on the pizzas. I found out the reason for the texture the next day. Turns out under the packing label on the rennet there was a warning that said "This rennet is double concentrated, use half as much as any recipe calls for", so I am betting that the proteins got over-coagulated. Live and learn.

Haven't made pizza in over a month, so my 5 unmolested basil plants went crazy and needed to be trimmed back, so.... Pesto!

Also in the garden, got some really nice Early Girl tomatoes, so tried out a caprese pizza. (not pictured, balsamic reduction). Was really good, but loses a bit of what is special about home grown tomatoes.

Good marinara made with oregano from the garden that I dried. The oregano was actually not as good as the fancy stuff I get from the store, so will stick with that in the future. Doubled the normal amount of garlic. Going to keep doing it in the future.

Used the pesto for a pesto, homemade mozz, and smoked bleu cheese. Good, but not great. Funnily enough, the bleu and the pesto got a little lost in each other. Will probably not repeat.

And I keep going back to my all time favorite. Calabrese, mozz, parm, tomatoes, Ning Chi Extra Hot fermented chili oil. Un-loving-believably good as always.

The pesto and marinara looking on point as all hell. Love the homemade mozz.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I picked up a Weber pizza stone insert for my Weber charcoal grill the other day, cooked on it and christ how the gently caress do I get pizzas to move off of a peel without ruining the crust? They get all bunched up because they don't want to slide. Do I need an absolute ton of flour or cornmeal or what? My peel is steel. Is this bad?

Also how do I clean a cordierite pizza stone, just brush it off with a wire brush and spot clean with damp cloths? It has sauce and poo poo all over it now, all baked on.

I'm very bad at pizza.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

VERTiG0 posted:

I picked up a Weber pizza stone insert for my Weber charcoal grill the other day, cooked on it and christ how the gently caress do I get pizzas to move off of a peel without ruining the crust? They get all bunched up because they don't want to slide. Do I need an absolute ton of flour or cornmeal or what? My peel is steel. Is this bad?

I'm very bad at pizza.

Buy a superpeel. (I am also very bad at pizza.)

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

clockworx posted:

Buy a superpeel. (I am also very bad at pizza.)

Holy christ they're like $130 in Canada.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

VERTiG0 posted:

Also how do I clean a cordierite pizza stone, just brush it off with a wire brush and spot clean with damp cloths? It has sauce and poo poo all over it now, all baked on.

I'm very bad at pizza.

After many failed pizzas I think I pretty much have my technique down:

-Thoroughly flour your peel (i just use the same flour I put in my dough, haven't found a need for cornmeal or semolina or anything as some suggest)
-Between every step of the pizza assembly process, give the peel a shake and make sure things are still mobile. Try not to press down on the pizza when you put stuff on it.
-When making the transfer to your pizza stone, just get one corner of the pizza onto the edge of the stone, then the rest should slide off pretty easily. If you go in for this step and find that your pizza is stick to the peel, back off and try to get it loose again to avoid disaster.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm very bad at pizza.

when you're forming the dough you can go absolutely ham with the flour until you get a hang of it also use lots of rice flour to dust the peel. Move fast and shake after adding a heavy layer to ensure there's no stick. Wood's better as it absorbs a bit of moisture.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Jmcrofts posted:

-Between every step of the pizza assembly process, give the peel a shake and make sure things are still mobile. Try not to press down on the pizza when you put stuff on it.

As a corollary to this- try to keep assembly relatively quick and don't over-top. A huge number of toppings can totally ruin your launch off the peel.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Wood's better as it absorbs a bit of moisture.

Oh man, do they make non-wood peels? I'd imagine a metal peel would basically act like super glue for dough.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Jmcrofts posted:

Oh man, do they make non-wood peels? I'd imagine a metal peel would basically act like super glue for dough.

Mine is steel. Welcome to my hell.

Thank you all for the tips, I will be trying this over the next few days.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Parchment paper is seriously amazing and doesn't impact the crust, especially when you remove it after it sets up after a minute or two. I use a pizza steel and my bottom crusts are insane, even using parchment paper to ensure a good launch.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
I find steel is slightly nicer for turning and taking it out of the oven, but not a huge difference

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Looking to get into making Pizzas in my oven and I'm looking at what gear to pick up. Neapolitan is my favorite so I'm aiming to do that, but I certainly like NY style as well. Currently in terms of equipment I have basically nothing, however someone is giving us a free 13" pizza stone and I have $70 in Amazon cashmoney to spend.

I was actually looking at the fairly old Cast Iron Skillet + Broiler method from Kenji that sounded very straightforward (I've done some of those lazy tortilla pizzas before which is essentially the same idea), however my Skillet is only 10" so I'd probably want to pick up something slightly bigger. The problem is that my stove top elements are glass-ceramic and aren't even large enough to handle my 10" properly, so anything bigger seems like a bust.

So, it sounds like I might as well just go in for some steel and do the steel + stone method with my broiler? It looks like the NerdChef models, even .25" is $80 though, don't know if there are other brands I should look at instead that cost less or what.

I need a peel as well of course. So, should I just go for this peel and this steel ? Or are there any less expensive but just as good choices out there?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Looking to get into making Pizzas in my oven and I'm looking at what gear to pick up. Neapolitan is my favorite so I'm aiming to do that, but I certainly like NY style as well. Currently in terms of equipment I have basically nothing, however someone is giving us a free 13" pizza stone and I have $70 in Amazon cashmoney to spend.

I was actually looking at the fairly old Cast Iron Skillet + Broiler method from Kenji that sounded very straightforward (I've done some of those lazy tortilla pizzas before which is essentially the same idea), however my Skillet is only 10" so I'd probably want to pick up something slightly bigger. The problem is that my stove top elements are glass-ceramic and aren't even large enough to handle my 10" properly, so anything bigger seems like a bust.

So, it sounds like I might as well just go in for some steel and do the steel + stone method with my broiler? It looks like the NerdChef models, even .25" is $80 though, don't know if there are other brands I should look at instead that cost less or what.

I need a peel as well of course. So, should I just go for this peel and this steel ? Or are there any less expensive but just as good choices out there?

This is getting away from your original plan, but if you like NY and Neopolitan, and don't need bigger than a 12" pizza, I would suggest checking out my posts in this thread for a clamshell oven. They can be had for under $50 pretty often on eBay, and sometimes there are amazing deals (like someone here just got a new $24 I pointed out). Amazon deals aren't quite as good, but I've seen them below $50 sometmies.

I did a crazy hack on mine to put bother burners on top, but really all you need to do for great pizza is remove the temperature limit and go slightly past it. I tend to get mine warmed up, then point the dial to around the rear-left corner of the oven. This lets the pie cook pretty quick on top before the bottom gets too hot. (If you preheat on that "back left" setting, your bottom will be scorched by the time your top cooks). You'll need to let the stone cool down for a few minutes between pies too, otherwise you hit the same issue.

Modding it to put both burners on top was both awesome and a huge pain. My next one I might just try to see if I can add a shutoff for the bottom entirely so I can blast the top heater without the bottom overheating.

Don't let any of this scare you though....you can do perfectly awesome pies with an unmodded oven, and near-perfect ones by just removing the limiter (which is just bending a metal tab out of the way).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm not planning on making anything bigger than 12" so something like that is an option. I'll keep it in mind if I happen to see anything at a good price.

Also to my post above, I actually have a top broiler that does a pretty good job so assuming that, I actually wouldn't need the pizza stone anyway if I got some steel? It's no skin off my back either way, a friend of ours basically just said 'you can have it if you want it'.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

had leftovers from this chicken sandwich recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/07/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-sandwiches-recipe.html

and so i threw it on a pizza with olive oil, mozz, cilantro and shallots and green sauce (not pictured)

used kenji's ny pizza dough recipe and this was truly the first time i had the dough come out PERFECT

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

BraveUlysses posted:

had leftovers from this chicken sandwich recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/07/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-sandwiches-recipe.html

and so i threw it on a pizza with olive oil, mozz, cilantro and shallots and green sauce (not pictured)

used kenji's ny pizza dough recipe and this was truly the first time i had the dough come out PERFECT

goddamn, that looks and sounds delicious

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Ran outta sauce so I made a pizza bianca

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

What kind of white sauce is that? I've been using a pretty simple Parmesan cream sauce and I've noticed I have to be super dainty with it, otherwise it seems to separate out and get hella messy.

Pretty good when it comes out right though (sorry for terrible camera as usual):

Parmesan cream, mozz, ricotta, prosciutto, basil, my go-to white pizza. Was using Kenji's NY dough for this, though I think it really lends itself better to Neapolitan.

Experimenting with my oven has been interesting, the most difficult part with the cast iron + broiler of course is consistency. The broiler turns on and off whenever it feels like so I have to try and mentally keep track of the timing. And the heating element only spans about the middle 2/3 of the oven, so I have to make extra sure the pizza is centered otherwise things get a bit uneven. Also not sure how hot I should be letting the cast iron get to, or if I should be leaving it in and using a peel or just taking it out to assemble the pizza on (what I have been doing so far).

Oven itself only goes to about 550F, but with the broiler on High I can get a pizza fully cooked in about 1:45, so it does a pretty decent job considering.

Bonus sausage and ricotta:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

aw gently caress-an early wedding present. Time to grab an extra propane tank and see what this thing is made of!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Nice! Definitely let us know how it works out, and post pics! I've seen some crazy great pizzas out of the Blackstone. They've got a tendency to overheat the stone vs temp coming down the from the top. Try it out per normal instructions, but if you end up getting black bottoms, the first thing to try is to heat it up to 700ish, toss a pie on and THEN crank it up to full blast so the top's getting max heat while the stone buffers.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

nwiniwn posted:

aw gently caress-an early wedding present. Time to grab an extra propane tank and see what this thing is made of!

Super curious to see what you turn out from this! Have always been interested to hear personal reports.

Traveled to see my folks and made some pizzas in their backyard :)

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'd love one of those Blackstone pizza ovens but they're $549 CAD on Amazon.ca ($438 USD), and on Amazon.com they're $272 USD.

What the gently caress

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

Nice! Definitely let us know how it works out, and post pics! I've seen some crazy great pizzas out of the Blackstone. They've got a tendency to overheat the stone vs temp coming down the from the top. Try it out per normal instructions, but if you end up getting black bottoms, the first thing to try is to heat it up to 700ish, toss a pie on and THEN crank it up to full blast so the top's getting max heat while the stone buffers.

Thanks for the tips! I've been reading the pizzamaking.com forums, but their one sole thread dedicated to the oven goes back several years, and apparently many of the earlier complaints have been fixed, so I'll just have to try it out as intended and then adjust from there. I plan on just buying some dough this weekend to try out and then making my own for some neopolitan pizzas later in the week. Oh god, so much pizza is going to happen.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So in preps for using the blackstone, I'm just going to buy some pizza dough tomorrow for some NY style pizzas. My plan is to preheat the oven, turn it down when I drop the pizzas in, then crank at the end to cook the top well.

However, I'm going to pick up some caputo flour and try some NP pizzas, but the pizzamaking forums aren't giving me many direct, exact recipes. Doom rooster or ogopogo or anyone else care to chime in? I don't have to make the NP tomorrow, so if it needs to cold ferment for a few days or whatever, then no problem.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, sure thing. The standard NP dough ratio is more or less:

Makes ~6 x 9oz balls

1000g flour
630g water
25g salt
5g dry active yeast

My method:

Take 100g of your water at room temp, all the yeast and a pinch of flour, mix it in a little cup. Let sit for 15 minutes. This is just to make sure your dry yeast is still alive. It should get frothy on top.

Put the remaining water in your mixer with the dough hook, dump in the flour and salt, then pour the yeasty water over the top. Mix for like 30 seconds until totally combined. Let it it in the mixer for 30 minutes. Then turn the mixer on low, and give it about 10 minutes. If the ball is already looking nice and smooth and elastic, great, you're done! If it needs longer, let it go longer. After it's done needing, take out the dough hook, and cuck the mixer bowl covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for 2-3 days.

At least 8 hours before you want to make the pizzas, take the dough out, chop off sections that are 9oz each. You can totally add or remove little chunks to hit the 9oz mark. Once you have the dough portioned, do a quick little 20 second knead on each of them, then form into balls. and put onto whatever tray/dough box you are using and put them all back in the fridge. Take them out about 45 minutes before you want to put your first pizza in the oven.

Notes:

The 30 minute sit is not REQUIRED, but it will give you better/faster gluten building.

I live in Texas, and my house stays around 80 degrees inside. If your house is colder, take the dough balls out a little earlier.

You want to avoid your dough going above 85f while making it. It makes the dough way stickier, and kicks the yeast into high gear which you don't want for a cold ferment. Due to the hot house thing, 100g of my water is always actually ice cubes that I melt into the rest of the water to cool it way down and my 30 minute wait is done in the fridge. If your house is cooler than 72ish, don't worry about either.

The above recipe is a 63% hydration dough, which is on the lower end of NP (60-70 is typical). Higher hydration is almost always better, but every % is exponentially more of a pain in the rear end to work with. 63% is still great, but easier to work with. If you get really comfortable and into it, feel free to start upping the hydration.

You can try to scale down the recipe to make fewer than 6 skins, but your mixer may not do a good job kneading with a small batch. You may need to hand knead a smaller batch to get any gluten.

Any questions you have, we are here for you!

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 22, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

Yup, sure thing. The standard NP dough ratio is more or less:

Makes ~6 x 9oz balls

1000g flour
630g water
25g salt
5g dry active yeast

My method:

Take 100g of your water at room temp, all the yeast and a pinch of flour, mix it in a little cup. Let sit for 15 minutes. This is just to make sure your dry yeast is still alive. It should get frothy on top.

Put the remaining water in your mixer with the dough hook, dump in the flour and salt, then pour the yeasty water over the top. Mix for like 30 seconds until totally combined. Let it it in the mixer for 30 minutes. Then turn the mixer on low, and give it about 10 minutes. If the ball is already looking nice and smooth and elastic, great, you're done! If it needs longer, let it go longer. After it's done needing, take out the dough hook, and cuck the mixer bowl covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for 2-3 days.

At least 8 hours before you want to make the pizzas, take the dough out, chop off sections that are 9oz each. You can totally add or remove little chunks to hit the 9oz mark. Once you have the dough portioned, do a quick little 20 second knead on each of them, then form into balls. and put onto whatever tray/dough box you are using and put them all back in the fridge. Take them out about 45 minutes before you want to put your first pizza in the oven.

Notes:

The 30 minute sit is not REQUIRED, but it will give you better/faster gluten building.

I live in Texas, and my house stays around 80 degrees inside. If your house is colder, take the dough balls out a little earlier.

You want to avoid your dough going above 85f while making it. It makes the dough way stickier, and kicks the yeast into high gear which you don't want for a cold ferment. Due to the hot house thing, 100g of my water is always actually ice cubes that I melt into the rest of the water to cool it way down and my 30 minute wait is done in the fridge. If your house is cooler than 72ish, don't worry about either.

The above recipe is a 63% hydration dough, which is on the lower end of NP (60-70 is typical). Higher hydration is almost always better, but every % is exponentially more of a pain in the rear end to work with. 63% is still great, but easier to work with. If you get really comfortable and into it, feel free to start upping the hydration.

You can try to scale down the recipe to make fewer than 6 skins, but your mixer may not do a good job kneading with a small batch. You may need to hand knead a smaller batch to get any gluten.

Any questions you have, we are here for you!

This is perfect-thank you!

I was going to ask about scaling, but I figure I'll have a few gently caress-ups starting out, so I might as well make the total recipe to start...plus I thought about my mixer not having enough to grab, so I want to eliminate as many variables as possible. I live in New England with air conditioning, usually around 72 degrees, so I should hopefully be good there. I've worked with high hydration dough before, and it's a pain in the rear end, so if I can keep this on the lower side of things, then all the better.

Regarding putting all the dough balls in the fridge once I've separated them-I don't have a proofing box and have just used small deli containers, which I'm assuming will work.

Also-how big of a pizza do those balls make-12 or 13" I'm guessing?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Individual deli containers will work fine as long as they are big enough. Better than fine actually. You can stagger taking them out, unlike me and my proofing box. My first pizza is always a little cold, and my last is a little blown out.

Yup, About 13" per pie. You can either up the weight by an ounce, or drop the diameter by an inch and a half to do the crazy big crown like Carlo Sammarco, who is hot poo poo in Naples right now.

Example:

And yes, NP pizza making is so strict on tradition, that "make the crust bigger" is all it takes to be newsworthy, and "the bad boy, breaking the rules" of NP pizza.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

And yes, NP pizza making is so strict on tradition, that "make the crust bigger" is all it takes to be newsworthy, and "the bad boy, breaking the rules" of NP pizza.

That makes so much sense now-while looking at the pizzamaking forums, if you go into the "New York style" subforum, there's a million recipes, so that's what I was expecting when I went into the NP forum, since I started out on the New York style part of the site. In the NP forum, there's one stickied thread from this dude that must have done his thesis on NP pizza, and went on for pages about where it comes from and how it's up to each individual to come up with their own recipe based on a general style.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

nwiniwn posted:

That makes so much sense now-while looking at the pizzamaking forums, if you go into the "New York style" subforum, there's a million recipes, so that's what I was expecting when I went into the NP forum, since I started out on the New York style part of the site. In the NP forum, there's one stickied thread from this dude that must have done his thesis on NP pizza, and went on for pages about where it comes from and how it's up to each individual to come up with their own recipe based on a general style.

This rings somewhat true, my dough method differs from Doom Roosters, but I'm also working with a sourdough starter in a low-humidity desert environment.
Minus the time to rise enough starter for a pizza cook, my dough takes 8 hours to make, end to end, so it's a single day recipe if you plan ahead.

Final Dough (for ~6 280g dough balls):
500g levain
900g flour
450g water
28g salt

Mix the salt and 85F water until the salt is totally dissolved. Mix in the levain, pincing and mixing until it too has mix with the water. Add about half the flour and start pincing and mixing, adding flour as you combine it. Once all of the flour is added, you should have a pretty wet, sticky dough.
Let rest for 20ish minutes.
Scoop the dough out onto a large floured surface and begin to knead it, adding flour as needed to create a touch more cohesiveness (usually 150-200g flour). I work and knead my dough for 15 minutes or so, at which point it'll have formed up pretty strong and have a somewhat tacky surface, but no longer sticky or wet overall. Form the dough into a single large ball, cover in plastic, and let rest for 3 hours.
After 3 hours, divide your dough into roughly 280g balls. I highly recommend watching a couple youtube videos of pizzaiolos forming dough balls and how they handle their dough.
After forming the balls, they need to rise for another 5 hours in a 72-75F environment and then they're proofed and ready for firing!

Making your own sourdough levain is pretty easy too, it takes maybe 7-10 days to start it off, but once you get it going you'll have it forever and make better and better sourdoughs. My levain has been in my family for 120 years and creates stellar pizza crust.
Good luck!

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I think my mixer hates me:

A few notes. My house is currently 75 degrees with 40% humidity. I did the thirty minute rest and used room temp water. The dough never got above 80 degrees measured at the end of the mix.

I mixed for about 12 minutes and then the dough started riding way up into the mixer as pictured. I knocked it down a few times and tried to hand knead it, but it just kept happening, so it's in the fridge right now for a few days. I'm not sure how much smoother or elastic it could have gotten since it's my first try.