Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Need next month's suggestions.

CJ Cherryh! I don't think you could do Cyteen in a month, so Downbelow Station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kurlansky also wrote a similar history of cod, titled "Cod: a Biography of the Fish that Changed the World."

Dude has an oevure.

where's the 'salted cod' omnibus edition?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Safety Biscuits posted:

I enjoyed this but it shows that when all you have is a salty hammer, everything looks like a salty nail.

This about sums it up for me so far - there are some cool historical details (wanna read more about the Celts) but the single-minded return to salt (and fish) over and over got a little old. It was cool to see how it had a social as well as economical/health impact, and now that I'm going into part 3 with the chemistry/industrialization aspect, I feel like it's becoming interesting again.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Reiterating The White Boy Shuffle as a suggestion.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I just started reading it yesterday and am loving it. I'm a little more cautious in my enthusiasm for it after the posts here about historical inaccuracies or too much emphasis on salt's importance, but still loving it.

I really want to try pickling some veg now.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Finished it just now. While interesting in parts, it seemed weirdly structured and a bit too hung up on fish. I really liked the parts set in India and the info on the celts, though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

military cervix posted:

Finished it just now. While interesting in parts, it seemed weirdly structured and a bit too hung up on fish. I really liked the parts set in India and the info on the celts, though.

On the fish bit:

1. Kurlansky first wrote a book about Cod. Along the process he did a lot of investigation into the Basque country and about Salt, which would lead to his next 2 books "The Basque History of the World" and "Salt: A World History."

2. Kurlansky also really loves food in general and fishing in particular; of his nonfiction, 7 books relate to food and 4 of those to fish or seafood.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well, as I already mentioned, salted cod is awesome, anyway.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Reading this book makes me really hungry

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
so everyone is agreed that, in honor of the death of noted author Michael Bond, next months' BotM will be "A Bear Called Paddington"

we're all cool with that right

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

so everyone is agreed that, in honor of the death of noted author Michael Bond, next months' BotM will be "A Bear Called Paddington"

Well, seems to be available on the Kindle and it would hit the "nonhuman perspective" point in the booklord challenge.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

It's a compelling and relevant refugee tale.

For a more serious suggestion, I just got a recommendation for The Egg and Iby Betty MacDonald. It's a memoir about the author, a children's book writer, trying to start a poultry farm in Washington. It's supposed to be witty and a nice summer escape. It hits some Booklord categories and is selfishly already on my list for later this month.

For the lit or people wanting fiction again, you could consider the recent Man Booker International winner A Horse Walks Into a Bar by David Goldstein. A stand up comedian in a backwater town in Israel invites a childhood friend to see his act. It's quickly apparent that he's a bit of a hack, but as the act goes on he starts to spiral out of control, the jokes become few and far between as he starts to reveal his difficult childhood. The audience gets restless and you're trapped with the few who remain as his old friend feels compelled to bear witness and see if his own childhood betrayal will be revealed.

Not sure on SFF.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Finishing late. A nice read, but some parts really took out my enjoyment. Like mentioning Moses in Egypt like a fact and other inaccuracies, what?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I was disappointed. It seemed like an interesting theme and I was curious how the author would form a coherent narrative throughout the book. Spoiler, he doesn't. It's just like reading a bunch of Wikipedia history articles with the word "salt". Some are more interesting than others.

All the recipes and detailed descriptions of food are a bit goony and should not have been included imo.

Maybe I'll appreciate it more after a second listen.

• Locked thread