Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

There's only room for one blonde 30 something woman in comedy at a time and right now it's Kristen Bell. Hollywood sort of self corrects and puts people like Cuthbert out of work.

She's been starring on a Netflix sitcom for two seasons now so there goes your theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

less laughter posted:

She's been starring on a Netflix sitcom for two seasons now so there goes your theory

Has she?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Postal Parcel posted:

The series finale of Downward Dog aired tonight. Not surprising. I enjoyed the female lead, but the dog(voiceover) was...more annoying than I thought I could stand. Maybe it's the speaking style that the actor used? Did anyone else watch a lot of this show?

Most of us dropped it back in episode 1 when it proved itself to be the worst thing ever conceived.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never turned it on because just the trailers were enough WTF for me.

But I did watch like 5 episodes of Imaginary Mary, so I don't judge.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm gonna start The Handmaid's Tale because that'll effect as much change as today's Planned Parenthood protest.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm gonna start The Handmaid's Tale because that'll effect as much change as today's Planned Parenthood protest.

The hottest of takes

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

raditts posted:

The Mick wouldn't have made it through a full season on ABC.

I have enjoyed both and am glad to get season 2, but it's really funny how much American Housewife is a watered down, corners-sanded-off version of The Mick.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Postal Parcel posted:

The series finale of Downward Dog aired tonight. Not surprising. I enjoyed the female lead, but the dog(voiceover) was...more annoying than I thought I could stand. Maybe it's the speaking style that the actor used? Did anyone else watch a lot of this show?

I watched episode one and that was quite enough for me, I wrote my thoughts on it here a few months back but what it was was essentially that this is a very standard sitcom that for some reason also added a talking dog that is a total creepy rear end in a top hat that reminds me more of your standard stalker ex boyfriend character than a dog. Like you get what they're going for, the dog has separation anxiety and poo poo, but it's just expressed in the most bizzarre off-putting way for the dog.

I take it things just went downward (lol) from there?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Remember when they remade Broadchurch in the US and kept David Tennant

Remember when they tried to remake The IT Crowd in the US and kept Richard Ayoade

What weird things those were

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Remember how badly they managed to gently caress up remaking Life on Mars in the US.

You'd think "Cop show set in the 70s" would be a slam loving dunk for adapting it to take place in America. But instead it was the worst thing ever made.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's so American they took the title literally

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

Remember how badly they managed to gently caress up remaking Life on Mars in the US.

You'd think "Cop show set in the 70s" would be a slam loving dunk for adapting it to take place in America. But instead it was the worst thing ever made.

I watched an episode of that. The only thing I remember was they made copies with a mimeograph.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you have a show called Life on Mars in the US, people expect it to be about life on loving Mars.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Arist posted:

Remember when they tried to remake The IT Crowd in the US and kept Richard Ayoade

Remember when they remade Wilfred and kept the dog man?
It was actually pretty great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Eezee posted:

Wilfred is the only good show about a dog

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Iron Crowned posted:

Wilfred is the only good show about a dog

Person of Interest

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched an episode of that. The only thing I remember was they made copies with a mimeograph.

The main character invents rap at one point by poorly singing Vanilla Ice to a black panther DJ.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I kind of liked the US Life On Mars up until about the last 4-5 episodes. The finale though? Oh my loving god that was a dumb way to end.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Lurdiak posted:

The main character invents rap at one point by poorly singing Vanilla Ice to a black panther DJ.

Eat your heart out Back to the Future. God drat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Arist posted:

Robert Llewellyn as Kryten in Red Dwarf too. At least he got to keep the superior suit for the BBC episodes that followed!

McHales accent in that IT Crowd remake is just so bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

If you have a show called Life on Mars in the US, people expect it to be about life on loving Mars.

No poo poo, that was some false advertising.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

less laughter posted:

Person of Interest

Dog of Interest

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MiddleOne posted:

Dog of Interest

:barf:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm 5 eps into s4 of PoI and still really digging it. Characters don't do a lot of obvious things that simplify later conflicts in the same episode. Like in this last episode, Shaw could have shot this terminator lady in the back of the head in a hallway with no cameras, but she didn't so that Root could have the lamest shootout ever with her later.

All of the flashbacks to Finch building the machine are great.

Dog wasn't in this episode at all :\

Lol at the police pretending that a new cop who shot 5 guys in as many weeks needs to see a counselor. YAH THINK?!

I also understand why Finch is so worried about Samaritan, but I feel like opposing all of its action on principle may not always be the best plan. I can't wait for the episode where they mistake the Machine's plan for Samaritan's and royally gently caress it up.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 11, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

EL BROMANCE posted:

Robert Llewellyn as Kryten in Red Dwarf too. At least he got to keep the superior suit for the BBC episodes that followed!

They were going to make a third pilot, and were trying to convince to Chris Barrie to sign on as Rimmer, before finally giving up. But seriously, if you're going to try to sign fifty percent of the original cast, why not just co produce the original and air the eps that way?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've announced the voice cast for the Castlevania Netflix animated series. With Graham McTavish as Dracula, Richard Armitage as Trevor Belmont and James Callis as Alucard. Matt Frewer and Tony Amendola are also on it playing characters with generic names like The Bishop and The Elder.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Animal Kingdom anywhere near as good as the ads make it look?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

I haven't seen the ads, but yes, it's good. It isn't high art or anything, I'd put it more in the category of something like Banshee than Breaking Bad but it's really strong. It made my top 10 last year and the quality hasn't really dropped this season.

This weeks heist episode was pretty baller.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Eezee posted:

It got pretty bad somewhere in season 3.
I remember people saying it ended pretty well but I still haven't watched the last season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I remember people saying it ended pretty well but I still haven't watched the last season.

Hmm, that's odd. I remember the final season being pretty drat awesome. It got super dark and trippy and was pretty different in tone from the other seasons but it was well done. Yes, the finale was pretty cool.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

It kind of tried to have its cake and eat it too where they spend most of the season doing this weird mystery/conspiracy about how his family was part of a dog cult and Wilfred may actually be an ancient trickster god but then at the last minute backpedal and say that no he really was just a metaphor for mental illness all along.

I was entertained watching it but I pretty much forgot it existed as soon as it ended.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

OMG Zoo is back and it's got kaiju monsters!

Zoo is so bad and I can't stop watching.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The original Life on Mars is some of the best television ever produced and is drat near flawless.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I haven't seen either Life on Mars iteration, but I just want to chime in and say Life on Mars is the best Bowie song.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

swickles posted:

I haven't seen either Life on Mars iteration, but I just want to chime in and say Life on Mars is the best Bowie song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zX0lxiM8Xo

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

I have actually seen that before! I only watched that season of AHS because it was set in Jupiter, FL which is where I grew up.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

It is called "The Ranch" and it is redneck america stereotyped to the letter. She was only in about half of the first season episodes, but is in all of the second season.

lelandjs posted:

It reminds me of the original point break movie, fun loving criminals with a hosed up family vibe. What I really like most is that the show breaks the two common tropes of criminals who are either completely incompetent or complete masters of every skill set, they are very much average bros who just barely manage to hold things together.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

swickles posted:

Must be a sad world where The Man Who Sold The World doesn't exist. Hope you did something great like not electing Trump over there to compensate for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKVhodA_q-g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Finished GLOW and really enjoyed it. I wasn't that into it for the first few episodes but once the focus shifts away from primarily Brie's character and more to the ensemble show it pulled me in. I am a wrestling fan and the big dramatic moments build to wrestling stuff, so I don't know if it holds up quite as much if you're not engaged with that. But it feels like a Friday Night Lights kind of thing where everything pulls you in so by the time that football/wresting happens you're on board with the characters and stories it's used to convey.

• Locked thread