Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Timm was better when they didn't just let him do whatever he wanted and he had other people to balance his stuff out. Now he's kind of embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

purple death ray posted:

Bruce Timm is busy getting his slash fiction where Batgirl fucks Batman and Harley fucks Nightwing turned into full length movies , him being involved is not the beacon of quality it once was.

"slash" only means gay, you generally mean "shipping"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Well to be fair they did make those movies where titles had "Superman/Batman" in them, so there's your slash fic movies right there

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

"slash" only means gay, you generally mean "shipping"

I think it's mostly used for gay stuff, but the word still applies to hetero fan fiction as well. I.E "Slytherin or Slytherout: Draco/Hermione"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly those embarrassing gently caress fantasy scenes would be somewhat redeemed if they had one where Nightwing fucks Batman.

So a man loving his dad?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Wait night wing and Harley loving? What.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

So a man loving his dad?

I'm fine with that if it makes everyone who likes the Batgirl sex scene unhappy.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait night wing and Harley loving? What.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPL8uL1h8FA

Oof...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timm/Dini style Nightwing looks better with the mullet.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

I don't hate this. Any voice that isn't Arleen Sorkin's sound weird coming from Harley, but otherwise that looks pretty good.

Of course, that trailer doesn't have the Harley/Nightwing stuff that was alluded to, which is rather less appealing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fixed tweet!
https://twitter.com/warnerarchive/status/876946732222783488

[edit] Oh cool, media details from the Facebook post:

BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM(1993) (BD)
NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
Presented in both the original theatrical 16x9 aspect ratio (1.78:1) AND open matte 4x3 (1.37:1) aspect ratio
Run Time 76:00
Subtitles English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 Stereo - English

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 20, 2017

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

gently caress yes.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

w00ting as hard as I can

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/880134980097232897

It includes all the modern animated films starting from the Death of Superman one up to Batman and Harley Quinn

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's a lot of garbage

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

That's a lot of garbage

I'd probably pay twice as much for just Mask of the Phantasm than for the rest of those movies all together.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Roth posted:

That's a lot of garbage

It's pretty considerate of them to put it all in one set rather than make you throw out 30 individual movies at least

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

purple death ray posted:

It's pretty considerate of them to put it all in one set rather than make you throw out 30 individual movies at least

That is true, it means I can ignore just one announcement instead of dozens.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I'd probably pay twice as much for just Mask of the Phantasm than for the rest of those movies all together.
The new Blu-ray release looks pretty dope, so at least they’re releasing it separately.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChDGYRBR8GI

It actually looks decent. Better than Ultimate Spider-Man at least.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/880134980097232897

It includes all the modern animated films starting from the Death of Superman one up to Batman and Harley Quinn

There's enough good ones, IMO anyway, that I would be willing to get this.

As long as the price isn't too crazy, at least.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ThermoPhysical posted:

That looks much more like Spectacular Spider-Man than the last cartoon did. I think we might have a decent one here.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ThermoPhysical posted:

No wonder nobody liked Peter, kid was obnoxious.

Are the Sam Raimi movies where Peter getting the Spider from Oscorp started? It seems so prevalent that I wouldn't be surprised if it's retconned into the comics a few years down the line.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TheHan posted:

No wonder nobody liked Peter, kid was obnoxious.

Are the Sam Raimi movies where Peter getting the Spider from Oscorp started? It seems so prevalent that I wouldn't be surprised if it's retconned into the comics a few years down the line.

It's from Ultimate Spider-Man isn't it?

Also, that Peter looks like Harry Potter, which I guess fits.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

howe_sam posted:

It's from Ultimate Spider-Man isn't it?

Also, that Peter looks like Harry Potter, which I guess fits.

Yeah, it's from Ultimate Spider-Man.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It makes sense when you're trying to tell the story of Spider-Man with the benefit of knowing who his iconic archenemies are ahead of time. If you tie everything together you can provide some neat foreshadowing.

MTV Spiderman will always be the worst Spiderman cartoon to me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

No.

That show was a fever dream.

IT WASN'T REAL

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it's from Ultimate Spider-Man.

Whoops. guess it already was :v: Maybe it'll get folded into the main continuity like Black Nick Fury.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Neil Patrick Harris as Spiderman was pretty good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No he wasn't

because that show didn't exist

IT DIDN'T

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

gently caress you I liked it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Peter in the exact same outfit 90's the lizard wore minus labcoat

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm a little surprised they bothered to put slightly different drivers in all those identical cgi taxis. That looks freaking terrible

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I'm a little surprised they bothered to put slightly different drivers in all those identical cgi taxis. That looks freaking terrible

Not sure where you live, but where I live, all the taxis look the same with different drivers. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've never seen it but I refuse to believe that a SM show could be worse than Spider-Man Unlimited.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I've never seen it but I refuse to believe that a SM show could be worse than Spider-Man Unlimited.

I watched every episode and tapped out of Ultimate Spider-Man after 2 episodes, but I was a teenager when the former came out and an adult when the later did.

MTV Spider-Man also has the advantage of not being the reason Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I watched every episode and tapped out of Ultimate Spider-Man after 2 episodes, but I was a teenager when the former came out and an adult when the later did.

MTV Spider-Man also has the advantage of not being the reason Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled.

Ultimate Spider-Man isn't the reason either.

quote:

Michael J. Eilen writes...
Hey greg, my name is Michael. I was a huge fan of your spectacular spiderman series. And I'm not sure if you're gonna know the answer to my question or not, but I'm just gonna shoot for it. Question: Do you have any idea why Marvel canceled it? I mean, both season 1 and 2 had decent reviews and many fans liked it. So, I gotta ask,Do you have any idea why Marvel made that decision.
Greg responds...

Marvel DIDN'T cancel it.
It's all very complicated, and we were certainly the recipients of bad corporate luck, but no single company cancelled the series. We just wound up with a situation where no single company could proceed with it.
I'll try to break it all down:

1. Sony had originally produced SpecSpidey as part of their overall entertainment license of the Spidey property (which of course included the extremely lucrative live action films).

2. But in order to win some concession on those live action feature films, Sony returned the animation rights to the character back to Marvel.

3. So now only Marvel could produce a Spider-Man cartoon. Sony no longer could, which meant SpecSpidey couldn't continue at Sony.

4. I have no idea whether Marvel was interested in continuing Spectacular Spider-Man or not. But let's assume for the sake of argument that they would have liked to.

5. They couldn't.

6. Why? Because Sony owned all the specific elements (designs, storyline, etc.) to the SpecSpidey VERSION of Spider-Man. So Marvel would have had to license all that BACK from Sony.

7. You can imagine how unlikely THAT scenario was. Marvel finally gets the rights back to do an animated version of their marquee character, and then they have to pay Sony to do it instead of just starting from scratch. That was never going to happen.

8. Of course, all this was complicated by the fact that Disney purchased Marvel, and Disney and Sony are direct competitors.

9. And I'm sure Marvel was excited to put their own stamp on an animated Spider-Man. Who could blame them?

10. So that was it. We were toast through no fault of our own. The folks at Marvel, Sony and even Disney all seemed to like our show, but the corporate mess made it impossible for us to continue.

11. And, yes, it is a bummer. (For me, at least.) But it's no single person or single company's fault. It's just how things shook out.

12. And finally, though I have no involvement with the upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man, you can't deny that a lot of great people have worked on it. There's no reason to think it won't be as good or better than SpecSpidey. To a certain generation, SpecSpidey will always be THEIR Spider-Man cartoon. But to a new batch o' viewers, I'm sure their Spidey of choice will be the Ultimate.

http://s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=14223

Basically, it boils down to Marvel can't continue it as Sony owns the show and Disney wouldn't let them buy the rights from Sony, Sony can't continue it because they don't own the rights to air Spider-Man cartoons anymore, and Disney can't continue it because Sony owns the show itself and Disney is (was?) apparently a direct competitor to Sony so they'd never pay them money to buy the rights of the show.

Though, with them working together to get Spider-Man in the MCU, who knows if they could bring it back anytime soon. Most likely, they'll just go ahead with Marvel's Spider-Man (both on PS4 and TV, hah).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bunnyofdoom posted:

gently caress you I liked it

No, gently caress YOU for liking that crap. :mad:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man isn't the reason either.

http://s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=14223

Basically, it boils down to Marvel can't continue it as Sony owns the show and Disney wouldn't let them buy the rights from Sony, Sony can't continue it because they don't own the rights to air Spider-Man cartoons anymore, and Disney can't continue it because Sony owns the show itself and Disney is (was?) apparently a direct competitor to Sony so they'd never pay them money to buy the rights of the show.

Though, with them working together to get Spider-Man in the MCU, who knows if they could bring it back anytime soon. Most likely, they'll just go ahead with Marvel's Spider-Man (both on PS4 and TV, hah).

Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled and the next show was Ultimate Spir-Man, so gently caress Ultimate Spider-Man.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
That long explanation is a pretty inefficient way of saying "they didn't kill Spectacular just so that they could make Ultimate, they made Ultimate because they were killing Spectacular."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think Ultimate had some fun episodes. This sounds like the conversation that happens around Teen Titans Go where the quality of the show becomes completely irrelevant because it's not whatever previous show people liked.