Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
500 miles is legit. I'd be interested to hear more about your trip and your thoughts on you gear choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I'm looking at buying a headlamp for backpacking/camping. I'm checking out the new (2017) Black Diamond Spot and the Coast FL75. Any recommendations? My only criteria are:

- under $50
- red or green light included
- adjustable brightness
- waterproof

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

M.C. McMic posted:

I'm looking at buying a headlamp for backpacking/camping. I'm checking out the new (2017) Black Diamond Spot and the Coast FL75. Any recommendations? My only criteria are:

- under $50
- red or green light included
- adjustable brightness
- waterproof

I seem to recall a few pages of conversation about this rather recently, which might well mean 25 pages ago at this point. Of course the Black Diamond will get you points with all the fadsters.

I went with the Fenix HL35. Not their newest model, and it is admittedly a bit heavier than some other options, but it takes AA and maintaining battery consistency with everything else I own seemed like a good idea. The body also rotates up/down, which is nice for walking (which I sadly haven't done enough of to give a truly fair review) and in-camp/on-off-ground type of work. The whites are adjustable, but the red is fixed (low illumination) sadly, but I don't recall seeing too many headlamps with adjustable red/green.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
What the gently caress are you seriously giving people poo poo for using one of the most common and reliable headlamp brands. Fadsters what in the everloving gently caress

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
My list may have been a little confusing. I don't care if the red/green light has adjustable or varying levels of brightness... Just the main light.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Levitate posted:

What the gently caress are you seriously giving people poo poo for using one of the most common and reliable headlamp brands. Fadsters what in the everloving gently caress

If I bought my black diamond headlamps 6-7 years ago, does that mean does that mean I was using them before they were cool?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
No because they were cool 15 years ago too.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I'm pretty happy with my last gen black diamond Ion, the new ones look even better. Sorry for being a fadster.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I actually strap a whale-oil lamp on my forehead. Keeps me warm and lets me see at least 2 feet in front of me!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I got a literal $1 headlamp from AliExpress and the thing worked great. Super bright, long battery life.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Internet Explorer posted:

I actually strap a whale-oil lamp on my forehead. Keeps me warm and lets me see at least 2 feet in front of me!

Whale oil is so 18th century. Beeswax candles are where it is at.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
You fadsters know there is a gear thread, right?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
They use batteries and make things seeable in the dark. If there's something faddy about that then I hope you're using a kerosene lantern or a primitive torch. As far as electronic headlamps go some are better than others, and while you can definitely find cheaper off brand alternatives the quality and reliability may vary. Thats not something I'm willing to sacrifice on my outings especially when I'm hiking with a headlamp and not just hanging out around camp.

Going off REI's selection, these would be my top choices. The biggest tradeoff tends to be brightness vs run time vs battery size/quantity/weight. I don't think the average person NEEDS 350 lumens for simple hiking and backpacking.

BD Storm ($50/350 lumens, 4AAA batteries, IPX 7 waterproof)
Petzl Actik ($45, 300 lumens, IPX 4 water resistance, run time is nearly double the storm with only 3AAA).
BD Spot ($40, 300 lumens, IPX 8 waterproofing, 160h max on low, 3AAA).

I'm still currently using the same Princeton Tec Remix that I've had for 5+ years without issue. It's only 130 lumens on high but that has seemed like more than enough any time I've needed it. I tend to hike with it on the lowest setting or the red light to keep my night vision. Its light, simple to use and has proven to be pretty trustworthy on many trips through rain, sun, and snow. At some point I might upgrade as I could use something more powerful for mountaineering/winter use but for backpacking and hiking my current lamps work just fine.

For the sake of getting this thing back on track, I went hiking this weekend to Mount Dickerman in the central Cascades. One of the better payoffs in all the hikes I've done in the state of Washington. Roughly 8 miles roundtrip and 4000 feet gain to reach the summit. We had snow for about the last third of the way to the top. Luckily it wasn't very deep but it was soft (Seattle was in the 90s, we were probably in the 80s) so every step you took felt like walking in sand. The summit was incredible with 360 degree views. From the top you could see Baker, Shuskan, Glacier Peak, Rainier, the olympics etc. It was a beautiful day and a haul of a hike but more than worth it to enjoy a delicious peach at the summit. The best part was the glissade down. There were 3-4 chutes of varying length but the longest was about a football field long. What took us nearly an hour to get up took all of maybe 10-15 minutes to get down. Also, I think I may have hyper hydrated because I peed maybe 10 times on the trail. But with temps threatening to get that hot I'm just happy I was able to.

This was a virtual shot so the perspective may be off a bit, you can see mt Baker which was northwest of us and glacier peak which was straight east.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 27, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Verman posted:

Going off REI's selection, these would be my top choices. The biggest tradeoff tends to be brightness vs run time vs battery size/quantity/weight. I don't think the average person NEEDS 350 lumens for simple hiking and backpacking.

I don't hike in the dark much if at all so I really just need something to get me around camp in the evening or if I have to take a piss at night. So, lightweight and low lumen works fine for me. I am somewhat jealous of my wife's BD that is bright as hell in comparison though...

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
If you want a headlamp for puttering around camp, the petzl eLite is great. Small enough to keep in a pocket while you sleep, super light, battery lasts reasonably long if only used intermittently.

If your plans involve a couple of hours of headlamp use, go for something AAA or AA powered.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have wanted to try the HL35 for a while now, as the older plastic version was the best headlamp I've ever use, except for the tendency of the battery Cap to crack at even the lightest of impacts.

But in terms of simplicity and reliability, it was absolutely great except for the stupid battery cap.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This is what I got, it's perfect for no-frills wandering around/getting up to have a wee/trying to find stuff in the dark: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Min...2723407979.html

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Whale oil is so 18th century. Beeswax candles are where it is at.
No love for carbide lamps?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ok some people were asking about my experiences on the trail before I had to give up due to my eye exploding. So here goes!

Bag: Hyperlite Southwest 3400 was my best friend. I got a lot of nice compliments on it, mainly cos 95% of the hikers had Ospreys. It was like a goddamn Osprey convention out there. Tough, great front pocket, lots of space, waterproof, and super super light. One funny memory on the trail was when a group of us at a shelter were laughing about people bringing big knives and hatchets onto the trail, and some guy dressed head to toe in military gear said he brought a hatchet and that "it only weighed a pound and a half." I said that was heavier than my backpack and there was silence.

You really don't need a hatchet on the AT. People just snapped branches for firewood, you don't need to be a big man and chop it.

45 liters is enough for anyone.

Sleeping Bag: Enlightened Equipment Revelation. Well, a quilt. And drat this quilt is great. Super light, packs down to nothing, you can open up completely which was fantastic in a hammock. You can do the bottom up to keep your feet warm, and then stick your feet out of the bottom is they get too hot. Not a bad word to say about this at all.

Hammock: Hennessy Hyperlite. You might remember that I had a lot (a lot a LOT) of questions about drat hammocks. Well turns out with a little reading and the Becket Hitch, it's really not that complicated. However my experience with my hammock was definitely complicated.

I loved a lot of things about it. When it's done right, it's just wonderful. You'll never be upside down in the morning, or sliding around, or wake up in a puddle like I heard many people complain about on the trail. I was in a lot of rain storms and never got wet at all (plus the tarp can fill up water overnight). To pee you just unzip the bug net and stand up, job done. I could put lots of things in gear holder on the ridgeline. It was AMAZING to strap my phone to the ridgeline with elastic bands and watch movies at night. You can hang things on the lines.

That said it always took me a long time to fall asleep in it. Always. I'm a sidesleeper, and I toss and turn a fair bit. It was always difficult to fall asleep. But weirdly enough I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning because I was so warm and comfortable? Also, every night is different. You're always gonna have to set it up differently because the trees are different lengths apart, and are different widths. There were a lot of times I hosed it up and was uncomfortable all night. It was always a learning experience.

It was NOT faster than a tent. Or probably lighter. These new hyperlite tents people have now are crazy. I was always slower than people putting up a tent. The fastest I got was around 20 minutes, though I did have my huge tarp that had to be tied separately that added nearly 10 minutes to set up time (the included tarp I didn't bring would have been much faster, and I wish I had brought both). Oh, another positive was I heard people constantly complain about putting wet tents in their bags. Not me, baby! Hammock was always dry, tarp strapped to the top of my bag.

So in conclusion I don't really regret the hammock. I might not have slept well in a tent either. I wish I was a back sleeper. Who knows, man. WHO KNOWS.

Shoes: Variety. The shoes hosed me up. My feet were always burning after 5 miles and never recovered. I started with some Merrells, which hurt my feet before the trail but I thought they would get better. They DIDN'T. I threw them away and got desperate. I went super light. I went Vibram Trek Ascent. They did not help. At all. Then I got a really decent pair of Salomons and I think if I started with these everything would have been fine. Great shoes those Salomons!

Stove: Jetboil Minimo. The best. The absolute best. So fast. I had to scrabble to get my food out of the bag before the water boiled. One small canister of fuel lasted me 9 days using it twice a day.

Overall, a wonderful experience. People were varied and friendly (people everywhere, even in late April. Weed everywhere. EveryWHERE). The trail is not very varied. It would be nice if there were more lakes to swim in (Hilton shelter, represent!). The views are beautiful but there aren't many of them. I joked that I liked everything except the walking. Relaxing at camp, chatting and laughing. Going into towns. The stuff you see. The people you meet. I was sad to cut it short, and I'll definitely pick up where I left off in future.

If you have any other questions, just ask!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why'd you stop?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I woke up with this blob/sun spot in my eye that wouldn't go away. Turned out to be burst blood vessels at the back of my eye.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Have you considered using a continuous ridgeline on your tarp with some sort of hardware like the tarp flyz from dutchware? I haven't timed myself but I for sure don't spend 20 minutes setting up my tarp. The continuous ridgeline option makes it pretty easy to adjust where your tarp is between the trees before you tighten it all the way.

The guy who wrote the ultimate guide to hammock camping or (whatever it's called) has a pretty good video which explains it probably way better than I can.

Ninja edit: here it is
https://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/video-using-continuous-ridge-lines-with-a-tarp/

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Alan_Shore posted:

Ok some people were asking about my experiences on the trail before I had to give up due to my eye exploding. So here goes!

Where did you end up getting off the trail at? I know you was about 500 miles which would of put into (or near the border) of Virginia.

Any favorite spots or sections on the trial? Of the TN/NC parts of the AT the balds of Roan Mountain are my favorite section.

No surprise about Ospreys. I see them all the time hiking and I have 2 myself (The Osprey Exos is my go to pack). High quality packs. That said I've been using the Mountain Hardware Rainshadow 26 Outdry pack for my day hikes. Waterproof and 1.5 pounds.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My tarp was huge, much bigger than the one in the Ultimate Hang video. It had its own tie outs for trees, then the 4 guidelines. It wasn't quite 10 minutes to set up but much longer than the one that comes with the hammock (that's attached to it so you only need to stake the 2 tie outs).

I was still in Tennessee when I got off, middle of nowhere. Yeah Roan mountain was very beautiful. Balds were always a highlight, really anything that was different to just trees was a highlight. Clingman's Dome was pretty spectacular, as was the tower at the 100 mile mark. The Hilton shelter at Hot Springs was great, showers and a lake to swim in. I don't think you hike the AT for the views (there aren't that many). You do it for many other reasons.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Alan_Shore posted:

My tarp was huge, much bigger than the one in the Ultimate Hang video. It had its own tie outs for trees, then the 4 guidelines. It wasn't quite 10 minutes to set up but much longer than the one that comes with the hammock (that's attached to it so you only need to stake the 2 tie outs).

My tarp is a fairly large one too. It's a tarp designed for winter use so it has 2 guy lines on either side and 4 guy lines total for the door flaps. Still find the continuous ridgeline method super convenient since you can adjust the lateral hang between the trees without having to go back and forth between either of the guy lines from the ridgeline.

I'm sure you got loads of practice hanging your tarp over the course of 500 miles! Some tarps are a bit fiddly. I used two separate guy lines on the giant tarp I had before this one and it was an absolute pain in the rear end. So I tried the other way with a continuous ridgeline and it was so much smoother. I'd definitely recommend at least giving it a shot, maybe it makes hanging yours less of a chore. :)

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Leap Day William posted:

Also, descending Mt Moosilauke on the AT (the north side) in the rain is pretty exciting.

Beaver Brook Trail? Done the moose a few times but always by the boring rear end Gorge Brook/Carriage/Snapper loop, hoping to do Beaver Brook as an out and back this summer as it looks much more interesting. On the topic of camping in the Mahoosucs, I've never been up there but read it's mostly private or state owned land where camping is completely restricted outside of designated sites. Would love to do the notch as a dayhike but none of my friends want to do a car spot up there with me, I'd rather not bring a full pack through the notch and I'm not sure my sedan could handle Success Pond Rd in either case. Grafton Notch is supposed to be very nice, let us know how your trip went!

Also I highly recommend the Great Gulf Trail for any NE hikers. A lot of "wilderness" trails I've been on are just unblazed and a little overgrown, but as you get closer to the Washington headwall the Gulf trail gets a lot more wild than that with the trail literally going up waterfalls, slick rocks and active stream beds. Tons of cascades. Need decent route finding skills, but there was only one section that was a real head scratcher (the section between Spaulding Lake and the alpine zone). The headwall itself was fantastic, if I wasn't in such poor shape right now it would have been much easier with a day pack though. Only saw one couple hiking out after jumping off the AT from Pinkham, and there's zero cell reception down there, so you need to be comfortable with being fairly isolated in a pretty wild area. Thought it was pretty awesome, one of the better NH hikes I've been on.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Made it to Harpers today. Yay. Now to spend a week in DC to rest and catch the 4th. I was number 1224 to sign in.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Well done! Did you plan to be in D.C. for the 4th, or was that just a lucky coincidence?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Congrats!

I'm looking to do the Big Laguna Trail in San Diego on the 4th. It'll be my wife's first 10+ mile hike so hopefully it works out.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I would like to do anything but I've got some damned plantar fasciitis. Though this flare up was possibly caused by my backpacking trip.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm visiting Denver next week and thought I might do some day hikes in the area for a few days, should I get bear mace or anything special? Anyone know what the bugs are like this time of year? Would I be okay sleeping overnight with just a sleeping bag if I felt like it? I'm flying there first so I'm just bringing my water filter, no stove or tent or anything big.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

got any sevens posted:

I'm visiting Denver next week and thought I might do some day hikes in the area for a few days, should I get bear mace or anything special? Anyone know what the bugs are like this time of year? Would I be okay sleeping overnight with just a sleeping bag if I felt like it? I'm flying there first so I'm just bringing my water filter, no stove or tent or anything big.

You should be fine without bear spray as there are only black bears in the area. Besides, you can't fly with mace so it would be an expensive thing to throw away when you leave.

Bugs can be all over the place. At higher elevations or where there's a breeze or if the temps drop you won't notice them as much.

It might still be a bit early but the rockies tend to get crazy afternoon thunderstorms during late summer, so I'm not sure if its too early or if they're starting already but its usually a pretty heavy downpour sometime in the afternoon, in my experience it lasted around 2 hours sometime between 12 and 4pm. Also, depending on where you go (I don't know what the snowpack was like out there this year) but there may still be a lot of snow on the trails depending on where you end up going, especially if you get up high in elevation. Basically the weather is very unreliable out there. I've been a few times between May (early) and September (prime time). On one trip I've seen 90º heat and 4" of snow within a day of one another. I've had bluebird skies and a whiteout on the same day in June. The thunderstorms roll in very quick. Just be prepared for the extremes if you decide to do an overnight. I wouldn't go into colorado with anything less than a 30º sleeping bag.

Also, I'm not sure what your plans are but consider hiking later in your trip. The elevation is no joke. I don't feel the elevation in Denver which is 5,280' above sea level but I definitely feel it at RMNP which starts at 8,500 ft. By acclimatizing in Denver for a day or two, you should be much less likely to feel the effects of the altitude. The first time I had the loss of appetite, shortness of breath, headache and trouble sleeping. Since then I have started trying to stay in Denver/Boulder a day or two prior to hiking, and sleeping low the first night on the trail. Each person is different though.

I will always recommend Wild Basin section of Rocky Mountain National Park, even if just for a day trip or a quick overnight. Its beautiful and you can find solitude out there.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Flambeau posted:

Well done! Did you plan to be in D.C. for the 4th, or was that just a lucky coincidence?

It was loosely planned but ultimately our pace was going to determine it. When my girlfriend got off the trail it was much easier to work around it. Harpers by the 4th was always in the back of my mind to make sure I was "on time."

Let the rest and eating commence

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Mr. Powers posted:

I would like to do anything but I've got some damned plantar fasciitis. Though this flare up was possibly caused by my backpacking trip.
I have two people now telling me this is the problem with my heel, but I'm not yet buying it. The only thing that seems correlated was all the time I spent on the treadmill in late November, at which point I started having this heel pain. I thought it was working on going away, but for the last month it's been hot sharp pain shooting out the front side of the heel every time I turn a corner, land on it wrong, and at the start of most hikes. Given that the heel/ankle now pops every morning, I figure something is mechanically wrong, but ianad.

I stretch four to seven times a week. Added heel cushions made the pain go away for about a week, but then it was back. Running with insoles with more arch support is... weird, maybe is helping, but not quickly. Doctors want me to buy a few rounds of $80 insoles and new shoes, suggesting that immobilizing the arch to prevent any flexing is what's needed. (Plantar fasciitis has changed stories a lot in the last ten years.)

Things hurt less if I walk on my toes (around my house barefoot, for example), and more if I have an ankle strike in my gait. Downhill has sucked hiking because pressure against the front edge of the heel seems to cause considerable dull pain.

Things hurt least of all if I put on my hiking boots that flex (no steel shank), with my solid rubber air heel lifts, and go do 10--20mi of mountain. :iiam:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

That sounds a lot like PF. For me it feels like I lost all the padding in my heel, but wearing cushy foam-soled shoes does nothing. The walking on top toes thing is a giveaway. My doctor told me I can do all the cycling I want, but to keep walking to a minimum.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you have PF or even think you might have PF, get something like this and wear it at night to sleep. It should help considerably.

Plantar Fasciitis Socks with Arch Support - Foot Care Compression Sleeve Eases Swelling & Heel Spurs - Better than Night Splint Ankle Brace Support, Increases Circulation (Black S/M) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019WOPPPE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_30pvzbFW54P0T

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Done. Their sizing is odd, though. I'm guessing I'm going to get really strong compression with a size 13 foot in an 8.5-14 sock.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Gonna have to read more. What do they... do? They're thin but isolate foot flexion? I'm a stomach sleeper so that may not work.

In any case I have them in the list and hope to be making some progress this weekend on all these medical supplies.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It keeps the tendon that is injured stretched while you sleep. It is the tendon that goes from your heel to your toes. By keeping it stretched it heals faster and helps you avoid a lot of the pain in the morning while you get up and move around, stretching the tendon as you move.

There's other things you can do, but a sock like that is a great first start. I hear you on the stomach sleeper thing, but I'd figure out a way to make it work. PF can take a looong time to heal.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Just be thankful you don't have plantar fibroma. I've got about 2-3 large almond sized tumors growing on that tendon and there isn't really anything to be done about it.