Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

JoD, which I've heard the reps don't get commission for anyway.

We get commission for JoD upgrades, but not for opening a JoD. which is kinda fuckin' weird but hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

repeating posted:

last time i saw, the expectation for extended warranty/insruance was 85%

Yeah, it was 90% goal at one point with ATT. Without open enrollment.

The highest an insurance goal should be is about 60%. After that, you're just slamming people with it because it's the only way to hit the number. Some people just don't want insurance.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Well my jump return got delayed somewhere so tmo was going to dock me ~$400 of the return estimate, and my USPS receipt went through the wash. That's fun.

I called them up and they said they would reexamine the warehouse records so hopefully that works out.

On the other hand the phone representative gave me the option of free OnePlus if I switched from my old Unlimited so I went ahead and did that.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Did you pay UPS or whatever with a Credit Card? Maybe UPS or your CC could look it up for you?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've been kicking around the idea of switching my two lines from Verizon. I owe like $450 on my Pixel that could get bought out, and I'd be up $40/month on the monthly service pricing too. The only catch for me is we're doing a family trip out to Yellowstone and western Montana and we'd easily smoke our 200MB cap of domestic roaming.

Somewhere, I read that business accounts are not subject to the partner roaming caps? Is that true?

I've got an LLC, can I open a business account with that and still get the Verizon buyout promo?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

kitten smoothie posted:

I've been kicking around the idea of switching my two lines from Verizon. I owe like $450 on my Pixel that could get bought out, and I'd be up $40/month on the monthly service pricing too. The only catch for me is we're doing a family trip out to Yellowstone and western Montana and we'd easily smoke our 200MB cap of domestic roaming.

Somewhere, I read that business accounts are not subject to the partner roaming caps? Is that true?

I've got an LLC, can I open a business account with that and still get the Verizon buyout promo?

Have you considered making the switch when you get back from your trip?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I feel dumb asking this but is there some trick to using 5 digit sms codes on tmobile? I have never had them work, not with any phone or any plan.

VVVVV okay thanks.

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 10, 2017

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

wormil posted:

I feel dumb asking this but is there some trick to using 5 digit sms codes on tmobile? I have never had them work, not with any phone or any plan.

Call in and ask them to unblock short codes for your line.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Totally getting the xbox game pass free month this Tuesday. But what to delete to make room?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I was happy with tmo for several years, then convinced my wife to get on a family plan with her parents. They quoted $160/month for the four of us, then autopay discount, the hookup 20% off, and my pixel rebate of about $12 each month. That was back in March. They have NEVER billed us correctly. The last bill was $180. My pixel rebate never showed. We received contradictory answers about the hookup, but apparently that $180 was down from $214, and I have no loving clue how they arrived at that number. Not only that, but they mistakenly ported out my number when adding her parents, and assigned my mother-in-law's number to my phone. They were able to fix that, but charged us $45 for the port that never should have happened, and they never refunded that, despite agreeing to.

We've contacted them after every incorrect bill, and been given bullshit reasons and a promise that it'll all be correct next month. It never is.

Tmobile was a great deal when they actually give you the deal you signed up for. But apparently they can't get that right on anything other than a single line. We're going to ATT. I know ATT is worse on paper, but if they can actually operate like a company instead of the 3 stooges, it'll be worth it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
TM has been randomly adding and subtracting features to my account for about 6-8 months. Unlike you, they do eventually get the billing right although it takes a couple months and a few phone calls. The only thing keeping me from switching is that every other company is worse.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I'm looking to buy the new iPad Pro on EIB. I understand it'll be approx $300ish down. What I'm hoping to do is order it, then use a device against the down payment. I've been told thats not possible for orders, only in store purchases, and they wont likely have the 256gb model in store. Whats the best way to keep my initial out of pocket low?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

gypsyshred posted:

I'm looking to buy the new iPad Pro on EIB. I understand it'll be approx $300ish down. What I'm hoping to do is order it, then use a device against the down payment. I've been told thats not possible for orders, only in store purchases, and they wont likely have the 256gb model in store. Whats the best way to keep my initial out of pocket low?

Buy/finance through Apple?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

nimper posted:

Buy/finance through Apple?

Not a bad option. Do they have the model I want in stores yet?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

gypsyshred posted:

Not a bad option. Do they have the model I want in stores yet?

I don't know, but you can order online and it'll ship within about 10 days.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-pro/10.5-inch-display-256gb-space-gray-wifi-cellular

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

nimper posted:

I don't know, but you can order online and it'll ship within about 10 days.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-pro/10.5-inch-display-256gb-space-gray-wifi-cellular

True, but then no device trade in option.

I actually swung by my Apple Store on lunch, apparently they dont do carrier installments on tablets anyway.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

gypsyshred posted:

True, but then no device trade in option.

You asked about the best way to keep your upfront cost low, and the answer is to order online through Apple with their interest free financing. It doesn't require a down payment from what I can tell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

repeating posted:

I think the 2 for $100 (with AutoPay discount) T-Mobile One promotional pricing is still active

Trip report: painless to switch at a store.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

This is probably a dumb question but I'm asking anyway: on a family plan is it possible to have separate bills, or else set up separate payments? I'm currently on my own (Project Fi) but my mom is always complaining about AT&T's prices, and her and my brother are on a family plan with them. My ideal situation would be to get the three of us on T-Mobile One and have the plus add-on for myself, putting my bill at just under $50. I'd just prefer to have it auto pay my portion and not have to worry about wiring my mom $50 every month or whatever.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
The advertised prices include a $5 per line autopay discount. Whatever the remaining account balance is on the autopay date will bill the card on file, but it looks like you should be able to log into your account website and make a smaller manual payment at anytime during the billing cycle.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Okay so the way it would be (for example) is if my mom had her card as the default, then I could log in before the auto pay, pay $50, and my mom would be charged for the remainder?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Humerus posted:

Okay so the way it would be (for example) is if my mom had her card as the default, then I could log in before the auto pay, pay $50, and my mom would be charged for the remainder?

Yes, autopay should charge the card on file for the outstanding balance on the day it triggers. As an alternative to manually paying, use your bank's bill pay service to set up an automatic payment at the beginning of the billing cycle, so your payment will be credited to the account well before your mom's autopay happens.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Unless I'm missing something, I can just add $100 in credit to my $30 prepaid plan and walk out with a free phone?

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/web-to-retail

What the least terrible option here as a backup phone to run a few things iOS can't (Torque, USB-OTG tinkering) or as a Netflix-occupier for the kid?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Unless I'm missing something, I can just add $100 in credit to my $30 prepaid plan and walk out with a free phone?

What the least terrible option here as a backup phone to run a few things iOS can't (Torque, USB-OTG tinkering) or as a Netflix-occupier for the kid?

They're all really bad phones. Maybe the K10?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So is the BOGO galaxy S8 only for new subscribers?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

No, but you need to add at least one line (and keep one phone on it; the other can be on an existing line must be on a line).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have any issues with lower than expected bill this month? It looks like they maybe double applied a credit or something?

I'm on the 2 for $100 with the 20% discount and a free 3rd line and my bill was $61 this month.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 26, 2017

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone have any issues with lower than expected bill this month? It looks like they maybe double applied a credit or something?

I'm on the 2 for $100 with the 20% discount and a free 3rd line and my bill was $61 this month.

My bill is exactly what I signed up for.

2 for $100 + 2 * $30 device payments + 2 * $12 Jump + Device Protection = $184.00.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Heck i just started getting my pixel credit the month i got an s8.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

eddiewalker posted:

That is exactly how it works. The phone becomes $0.00 in the POS when it's rung up with EPIN100, so there's no strings attached. It's yours to keep.

Galaxy J3 and Coolpad Defiant are probably the least terrible of those.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

When you buy an unlocked phone from Amazon, etc. that is advertised for use on T-Mobile and Metro PCS, should I assume that wifi calling/texting will or won't work? I just sold the phone I brought over from Verizon (S7 Edge) because they of course don't mention that when you're at the store switching over.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Mammal Sauce posted:

When you buy an unlocked phone from Amazon, etc. that is advertised for use on T-Mobile and Metro PCS, should I assume that wifi calling/texting will or won't work? I just sold the phone I brought over from Verizon (S7 Edge) because they of course don't mention that when you're at the store switching over.

At least with Samsunng devices, the Samsung desk at many Best Buy stores can reflash it with T-Mobile firmware and make wifi calling/VoLTE work.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I purchased my unlocked phone straight from Samsung and they popped in a SIM card and away I went. I don't have a T mobile flash up during boot up so I don't think they had to flash anything to make it work. I have Wi-Fi calling but I'm unsure what VoLTE is.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mammal Sauce posted:

should I assume that wifi calling/texting will or won't work?

I would assume not, until absolutely proven otherwise (forums and Amazon reviews do not count as proof - believe me). Reddit maybe if it's the manufacturer.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Moochewmoo posted:

I purchased my unlocked phone straight from Samsung and they popped in a SIM card and away I went. I don't have a T mobile flash up during boot up so I don't think they had to flash anything to make it work. I have Wi-Fi calling but I'm unsure what VoLTE is.

Voice over LTE is the step that comes before eliminating 2g as a communications backbone, I believe. Usually comes with an increase in conversation quality.

Since 2g is only useful for voice and text and tiny media files, killing it will be great for any network as a way to gain more spectrum for high-speed data without expensive auctions or buyouts.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I also purchased an unlocked s7 straight from Samsung and am able to use wifi calling just fine without any extra steps.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I was told the problem is that mine was from Verizon. It didn't even have the option in the connection settings.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is there anything special for a new single line? I see the 100/mo for two lines but it's just me. I'm thinking of leaving Project Fi and am weighing my options.

Also, can anyone in Chicago weigh in on service? I'm moving there in August from NYC, where I was almost exclusively on T-Mobile using Fi.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I never have issues in Chicago. The L has some dead spots when flying on the elevated portion for me, but all the underground subway portions have 4G now

My main complaints are when I leave Chicago, but my wife's Band 12 phone has much fewer problems than my iPhone 6 without Band 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I never have issues in Chicago.

Same. T-Mobile has good coverage in Chicago.