Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

How bad must it suck to literally be a manager of a Cinnabon and to see it used to represent a living hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There's probably not a single Cinnabon manager that doesn't realize he's in a living hell.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I know money doesn't have anything to do with what makes Gene's life a living hell, but I was curious so I looked it up: https://www.careerbliss.com/cinnabon/salaries/
Salary comes out to $15/hr for the manager

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

That DICK! posted:

I'm kinda tired of seeing this post every page. Especially considering Gilligan et al talk about "Jimmy becoming Saul" all the time on the podcast

It does make more sense for Jimmy too since he literally takes on a persona for the camera and for his clients. Walt just coined the name and persona to convince himself that he was more badass than he really was.

What annoys me more is when people talk about Walt/Heisenberg like a Jekyll and Hyde thing. "Oh when he said this he was Walt, but later when he said this he was Heisenberg."

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 28, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

That DICK! posted:

I'm kinda tired of seeing this post every page.

It's definitely a lame gimmick.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

galenanorth posted:

I know money doesn't have anything to do with what makes Gene's life a living hell, but I was curious so I looked it up: https://www.careerbliss.com/cinnabon/salaries/
Salary comes out to $15/hr for the manager

Gene almost certainly has millions stashed away and the job is just so he doesn't have the IRS show up at his apartment asking why he hasn't filed taxes for years and just drinks scotch in his apartment watching VHS cassettes.

edit: I guess you probably realize that, but anyhow, even if the manager is getting some overtime, Omaha's a major city and ~35-40k won't exactly put you on easy street. Plus it's probably hell for a lot of reasons that don't have to do with money. The constant smell of the sweetness, endless parades of fat people shoveling down 3000 calories at a time, cleaning disgusting poo poo, etc

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 28, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Being a manager at a chain food place in a mall is more work for less money than should be legal. It is deffo hellish

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

It does make more sense for Jimmy too since he literally takes on a persona for the camera and for his clients. Walt just coined the name and persona to convince himself that he was more badass than he really was.

What annoys me more is when people talk about Walt/Heisenberg like a Jekyll and Hyde thing. "Oh when he said this he was Walt, but later when he said this he was Heisenberg."

While I agree that he was using it as a mask for his own comfort, when Heisenberg was first used was when Tuco asked him his name. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have used my real name either.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

This is sort of true, though. There's a Walt aspect to his personality and there's a Heisenberg aspect to his personality. For example when he's doing his whole "I'm the one who knocks" speech that's him consciously putting on Heisenberg. That's not what Walt is actually like. Walt is meek and impotent and a loving coward, but Heisenberg is a cool, calculating badass who stares down homicidal drug lords and forces them to say his name. Heisenberg is a character Walt constructs in order to survive in the criminal world, but he also increasingly comes to represent the repressed aspects of Walt's personality, the person who Walt always wanted to be but never had the courage to self-actualize into becoming.

Jekyll and Hyde is about the exact same ideas and concepts, so it's weird to me that people always bring it up as some sort of a contrast to stories like Breaking Bad, as if there's some sort of fundamental difference between the two simply because Walt doesn't literally down a potion and physically transform into a different entity.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with the use of alter-egos as a storytelling device in fiction.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with the use of alter-egos as a storytelling device in fiction.

Same. Seems obvious to me that Walt and Heisenberg were pretty separate and that one was just what the character eventually became due to his sickness, his crimes, his fears and his sense of having nothing to lose once he becomes sick and desperate. Walt devolves over the course of 5 or 6 seasons and I wouldn't ever argue that what he became was "always who he was" at all. Similar to Jimmy really because it seems like they share the same motivations (desperation, having nothing to lose, constantly getting hosed over) and are at the core of how Jimmy eventually devolves into Saul. They also both shovel on piles of rationalization and denial for the things they do in response to the things that happen to them.

Jimmy is shown to have a heart, some empathy, a capacity for shame and guilt, measures of self reflection, remorse and all the other things that make up a normal human being. We're seeing those things gradually being eroded, sometimes outright destroyed by others and often willfully sacrificed, again, gradually.

But I think that's the point: that these characters didn't become "Who We Know Them As" overnight nor in some sort of a vacuum devoid of external influences. They adapt in their own ways and gently caress up constantly amidst their successes, often creating more problems for themselves than the ones they set out to remedy even when they "get it right" and solve something.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't think that people are contending this entirely, but defining every action a character does as a Jimmy/Saul moment seems like an oversimplification. Jimmy cares for his brother, but Saul screws over grannies? Is that all it is? Can Jimmy not act in his own self-interest and gently caress someone over without it being 'Saul'?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Same. Seems obvious to me that Walt and Heisenberg were pretty separate and that one was just what the character eventually became due to his sickness, his crimes, his fears and his sense of having nothing to lose once he becomes sick and desperate. Walt devolves over the course of 5 or 6 seasons and I wouldn't ever argue that what he became was "always who he was" at all. Similar to Jimmy really because it seems like they share the same motivations (desperation, having nothing to lose, constantly getting hosed over) and are at the core of how Jimmy eventually devolves into Saul. They also both shovel on piles of rationalization and denial for the things they do in response to the things that happen to them.

Jimmy is shown to have a heart, some empathy, a capacity for shame and guilt, measures of self reflection, remorse and all the other things that make up a normal human being. We're seeing those things gradually being eroded, sometimes outright destroyed by others and often willfully sacrificed, again, gradually.

But I think that's the point: that these characters didn't become "Who We Know Them As" overnight nor in some sort of a vacuum devoid of external influences. They adapt in their own ways and gently caress up constantly amidst their successes, often creating more problems for themselves than the ones they set out to remedy even when they "get it right" and solve something.

It's interesting in Breaking Bad how, in the beginning, Walt always puts on black clothes when he wants to become Heisenberg, in order to signify that he's no longer Walter White. But in Season 5, when Walt makes a conscious decision to stop being Heisenberg for good, he conspicuously starts wearing all white clothing. By that point, it's as if Heisenberg has become the default self, and so instead of Walter White having to put on Heisenberg, Heisenberg now has to put on Walter White.

Of course it's all just semantics. Heisenberg and Walter White are obviously really the same person, sharing in common their self-destructive pride, but it's thematically useful and compelling to conceptualize his two personas as being a Jekyll/Hyde-type split personality. And the same goes for Jimmy and Saul. All this stuff really is is a meditation on the nature of identity, and how identity is constructed. Jimmy undergoes such a drastic identity shift that, like Walt, he starts responding to a different name.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Goons have literally no concept that 1 character can act in different ways depending on situation, mood and mental strength.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Walter white's hat works much in the same way as the one on Futurama that made that monkey smart

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cnut the Great posted:

It's interesting in Breaking Bad how, in the beginning, Walt always puts on black clothes when he wants to become Heisenberg, in order to signify that he's no longer Walter White. But in Season 5, when Walt makes a conscious decision to stop being Heisenberg for good, he conspicuously starts wearing all white clothing. By that point, it's as if Heisenberg has become the default self, and so instead of Walter White having to put on Heisenberg, Heisenberg now has to put on Walter White.

Of course it's all just semantics. Heisenberg and Walter White are obviously really the same person, sharing in common their self-destructive pride, but it's thematically useful and compelling to conceptualize his two personas as being a Jekyll/Hyde-type split personality. And the same goes for Jimmy and Saul. All this stuff really is is a meditation on the nature of identity, and how identity is constructed. Jimmy undergoes such a drastic identity shift that, like Walt, he starts responding to a different name.

i never noticed that stuff you wrote about in the first paragraph. Great post overall. I think we're largely in agreement and good point you made about the nature of identity. I was merely pointing out the slow, evolutionary, gradual shifts in what these characters ultimately become and how, even though it's not instantaneous like Jekyl and Hyde or the Incredible Hulk, that they're still different and largely controlled and determined by a lot of external influences and circumstances.

Meaning I don't think that what Jimmy or Walt became were always "Who They Truly Were" and that it's not as simple as some external or even internal switch being thrown where the nature of their true character is suddenly revealed. Without the cancer diagnosis for Walt or Jimmy's issues with his brother, I don't think either of them wind up breaking bad like they did. It could have been different for either of them given a break or two.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

SeXReX posted:

I mean why was Jimmy even in this season? He had no arc, other than killing Chuck. And killing Chuck is, so far, only only meaningful because we know he's dead in BB. BCS no longer stands on its own like it did at the start.

Chuck is meaningful because he's a well written character who's been fleshed out over the course of 3 seasons so his death means something. A lingering shot over a Pollos Hermanos as the climax of an episode because "ZOMG Gus is back!" is pointless and boring.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

Meaning I don't think that what Jimmy or Walt became were always "Who They Truly Were" and that it's not as simple as some external or even internal switch being thrown where the nature of their true character is suddenly revealed. Without the cancer diagnosis for Walt or Jimmy's issues with his brother, I don't think either of them wind up breaking bad like they did. It could have been different for either of them given a break or two.

I think Walt did, it's clear he was far more ambitious and prideful before his life took a detour into tedium and resentment.

Saul on the other hand seems like he could have ended up a slippery but not criminal lawyer had he gotten some support instead of poo poo on all the time.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

How bad must it suck to literally be a manager of a Cinnabon and to see it used to represent a living hell.

Meanwhile Cinnabon totally cross-promotes the series which is hilarious. They seem eyes-open about the content too, unlike the glorious ambush that was the Frisky Dingo Scion TC segment that remains the finest trolling of a sponsor ever, in any medium.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

unlike the glorious ambush that was the Frisky Dingo Scion TC segment that remains the finest trolling of a sponsor ever, in any medium.

The what now?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think Walt did, it's clear he was far more ambitious and prideful before his life took a detour into tedium and resentment.

Walt was always a prideful mess, but at the start of the series he was a guy who at least had something of a moral center. He fundamentally wasn't the kind of guy who would be morally capable of poisoning a child or killing eleven people without a second thought. Remember, even when it comes to Jane, his natural first instinct is to reach towards her to save her life, and he only stops himself when he realizes that letting Jane die will likely save Jesse's life, and the decision he makes is one that visibly tears him up inside. It wasn't as simple as Walt always being this inhuman monster, but simply being held back by family and societal obligations. It's something he turns into, as a result of a series of gradual and increasingly poor choices he makes. But his fundamental flaw of pride was always there, just like Jimmy's fundamental flaws were always there.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
chuck mcgill and erlich bachman had the exact same character arc this year, right down to fire signifying the end of their respective ambitions

Spellman
May 31, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

i never noticed that stuff you wrote about in the first paragraph.

A little more about the colors characters wear in the show...

Hank actually has one of the most clearly defined dressing styles in the series. As his pursuit of Heisenberg becomes more manic and starts affecting his life, he dresses dark and loses his color. Walt actually tries to return to his regular life a number of times during the series and his colors revert to the boring beige he wore at the start of the series. It's a symbolic visual nod to what's going on in the lives of each of the characters.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I knew about the colour theme, but I never saw it laid out like that. Neat!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Last Chance posted:

The what now?

What makes this perfect: Scion TV contacted the makers of the show about a sponsorship, and dropped a huge list of demands that they had to meet to qualify. They met every single one, technically, while the Scion people didn't realize what they'd gotten into until it was too late:

https://youtu.be/4k8kD4lNoUY?t=5m55s (It really starts up at about 7:30)

Nothing short of masterclass sponsor trolling.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

What makes this perfect: Scion TV contacted the makers of the show about a sponsorship, and dropped a huge list of demands that they had to meet to qualify. They met every single one, technically, while the Scion people didn't realize what they'd gotten into until it was too late:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1HXXcVFySM&t=18s

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.

Cnut the Great posted:

Walt was always a prideful mess, but at the start of the series he was a guy who at least had something of a moral center. [...]It wasn't as simple as Walt always being this inhuman monster, but simply being held back by family and societal obligations. It's something he turns into, as a result of a series of gradual and increasingly poor choices he makes. But his fundamental flaw of pride was always there, just like Jimmy's fundamental flaws were always there.

I think that's the major difference between the arc in BB vs the arc in BCS. While there both the result of bad decisions the character in question makes, Walt starts out as basically a normal person. But Jimmy was a sleazy con man from a young age. Walt becomes a criminal while with Jimmy it's more of a question of whether or not ever wasn't a criminal. While Chuck is an rear end in a top hat and that can't really be understated, he was kinda right about Jimmy.

BB was about transformation. BCS is a failed redemption. In a way Jimmy's natural impulse was towards Saul, he was just trying really hard to be a moral person.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish that tequila was real.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Saul's apparently been saving the nazi exterminator bandits' asses legally for 5 years as of BB S5E3 so they're fair game to show up/he's presumably going full Saul pretty soon after getting back into practice, if they care about that admittedly throwaway line.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Saul's apparently been saving the nazi exterminator bandits' asses legally for 5 years as of BB S5E3 so they're fair game to show up/he's presumably going full Saul pretty soon after getting back into practice, if they care about that admittedly throwaway line.

Vamonos Pest weren't the Nazis, except for Todd.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 30, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Vamonos Pest weren't the Nazis, except for Todd.

Huh, you're right. Good thing I'm rewathing!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is this the first season to not end with a black and white flash forward? Or did it get cut off?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The flashforwards have only been at the start of each season, there's never been one at the end.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Blazing Ownager posted:

How did they troll them? Why were they so upset about that?

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

How did they troll them? Why were they so upset about that?

Man I remember watching Frisky Dingo, but i don't remember this and I have so many questions. I too don't get what was so bad about this; pretty hilarious that they took advertising to a meta level, but they never said anything negative towards the company so I don't see a big deal? Also wtf kind of car company would want to advertise not just on a AS show, but one of the more obscure AS shows???

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RichardDunn posted:

Man I remember watching Frisky Dingo, but i don't remember this and I have so many questions. I too don't get what was so bad about this; pretty hilarious that they took advertising to a meta level, but they never said anything negative towards the company so I don't see a big deal? Also wtf kind of car company would want to advertise not just on a AS show, but one of the more obscure AS shows???

Uhhh the obvious advertising was a real deep cut at Scion, and then the main character goes onto explain how all advertising is worthless because the 18 - 24 demographic despises being pandered too.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Yeah but here we are, talking about scion.

The "subversion" of the product placement just made it into an ad that 18 to 24s are actually likely to show their friends.

Scion played them

E.
Which of the film students do you think is most likely to have a ministry of silly walks poster in their dorm?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Uhhh the obvious advertising was a real deep cut at Scion, and then the main character goes onto explain how all advertising is worthless because the 18 - 24 demographic despises being pandered too.

Ehh, it wasn't that deep of a cut.The marketing folks got their money's worth.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

SeXReX posted:

E.
Which of the film students do you think is most likely to have a ministry of silly walks poster in their dorm?

Boom operator guy for sure. Camera guy probably has Truffaut, Bergman, and Tarantino posters up and the makeup girl seems more like the musical theater type.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Camera guy definitely has kubrick up

just compare the hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Camera guy definitely has kubrick up

just compare the hair

gently caress you're absolutely right

E: I hope those kids don't get expelled for using the university's equipment for some lovely commercials

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 30, 2017

• Locked thread