Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My roommate thinks the pepper bacon I buy is too spicy.

Turn him into bacon, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Manuel Calavera posted:

Turn him into bacon, problem solved.

Just don't post your work in the charcuterie thread.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

tarbrush posted:

Yay!

(Please don't break yourself in doing so :ohdear:)

I won't. I'm supposed to start fairly soft for a week or two before ripping into a steak, so sandwiches and hot dogs and fruit are back on the menu. I've hardly had any veggies other than mashed potatoes, so some steamed broccoli would be nice.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Suspect Bucket posted:

Just don't post your work in the charcuterie thread.

icehewk posted:

Been aging this according to Ruhlman. It had some maggots on it near the bone but I cut all of that out as you can see. Is it all right?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

:wtc::barf:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:jebstare:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I love that ice is still getting mileage off that post, rofl.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wasn't that pulled from a Facebook group or something originally? It's been long enough I've forgotten the details.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Hauki posted:

Wasn't that pulled from a Facebook group or something originally? It's been long enough I've forgotten the details.

Yep. I think it was from the The Salt Cured Pig group.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CommonShore posted:

I've never eaten Olive Garden, but I can't imagine that it's worse than East Side Mario's.

Every 'Italian' restaurant here serves lovely old pasta from Gordon's Food Service in huge portions because LOL ITALIANS SURE LIKE TO SHARE

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Echeveria posted:

I can chew again as of Saturday!

Congrats. I'm 3~ weeks away from having 100% of my teeth removed (to get implants). I had major jaw surgery in the past, so second time through the liquid > soft foods.

The difference is, this time I live in Bangkok. I basically have no kitchen, and pretty much everything I like here involves some chewing. Think I'm going to be drinking a lot of protein shakes and bubble tea for a while. And Congee.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hahahah goddamn. What was the story behind the original picture? Practice cadaver someone posed for a joke?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Hahahah goddamn. What was the story behind the original picture? Practice cadaver someone posed for a joke?

A lot of us old time spoongoons are in a few of the same fb groups, one of the groups called the "Salt Cured Pig" (there's another, might be "Salami, Charcuterie, and Wurst") someone honestly posted this pic and was completely serious, as far as we could tell. Might be a good old school troll, but they had prev history of attempts in the group.

On the subject of fb groups, if you want a fun infuriating one join "Picky Eaters Anonymous". It's hilaribad. Just sit back and watch though, don't touch the poop.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

A lot of us old time spoongoons are in a few of the same fb groups, one of the groups called the "Salt Cured Pig" (there's another, might be "Salami, Charcuterie, and Wurst") someone honestly posted this pic and was completely serious, as far as we could tell. Might be a good old school troll, but they had prev history of attempts in the group.

On the subject of fb groups, if you want a fun infuriating one join "Picky Eaters Anonymous". It's hilaribad. Just sit back and watch though, don't touch the poop.

more like The Wurst of Charcuterie

Wurst Waste of Pig

I can keep going

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hauki posted:

more like The Wurst of Charcuterie

Wurst Waste of Pig

I can keep going

The charcuterie groups on fb, that post notwithstanding, are actually pretty legit. Lots of ~gastropub charcuterie programme chefs~ and european grandparent types ready to give a ton of tips.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

The charcuterie groups on fb, that post notwithstanding, are actually pretty legit. Lots of ~gastropub charcuterie programme chefs~ and european grandparent types ready to give a ton of tips.

Oh I know, I just had to jam some low effort puns where I could

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Hauki posted:

Oh I know, I just had to jam some low effort puns where I could

Pig Waste of Time

Makin' Bacon

The Worst of the Wurst

Go Pork Yourself

Robert Smith and The Cure

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You're really hamming this up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

You're really hamming this up

There's no cure for a ham pun

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Moove along

Wait daknit

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Would you like to see the ham?

http://www.tor.com/2014/05/22/the-scary-ham/

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Much Nduja bout nothing

Pork in beef middles as food

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Wife is traveling for work.
She's out for dinner and I asked where she went.
I checked their menu and found this:

quote:

STRIPED BASS*
MUSTARD GREENS / PICKLED RADISH / VEAL JUS / ASPARAGUS 31

I don't know why there is an asterisk.
I don't know what the gently caress that fish did to deserve this.

"Veal Jus"? on fish? Literally all of this is a terrible idea.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

* likely means subject to availability or market price

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

* likely means subject to availability or market price

I notice that you have an '*' in your subtitle.
Shall I take that at face value?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
What do those little grenades by your username signify?

EDIT: Looks like I have one too. :O

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

dino. posted:

What do those little grenades by your username signify?

EDIT: Looks like I have one too. :O

Mouse over it and find out.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

If she's in California or one of a bunch of other states, the asterisk leads to the "undercooked proteins can increase the risk of foodborne illness" thing they're required to put on the menu. Most places I've seen put that on every seafood thing regardless of doneness.

Mustard greens and pickled radish sounds good. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

I notice that you have an '*' in your subtitle.
Shall I take that at face value?
Hell, I'm (we're) already given value by the market.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

bartolimu posted:

If she's in California or one of a bunch of other states, the asterisk leads to the "undercooked proteins can increase the risk of foodborne illness" thing they're required to put on the menu. Most places I've seen put that on every seafood thing regardless of doneness.

"This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer. Please do not eat the inedible plastic or rubber materials contained in this product on a regular basis for more than a year."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Every time I finish pulled pork/carnitas in the broiler, they lose a lot of their juices and dry out. Is this normal? I want to have some crunch, but not so much that they get all dried out.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Every time I finish pulled pork/carnitas in the broiler, they lose a lot of their juices and dry out. Is this normal? I want to have some crunch, but not so much that they get all dried out.

throw it onto hot carbon steel or cast iron, more direct thermal contact/conductivity, less time to dry out.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I had that happen when the layer of meat (carnitas un my case) was to thin. I fixed that by using a smaller dish and stacking the meat higher, broil 4-5 min, stir meat, repeat as desired, serve. During broiling, the meat on the bottom will get warm but not dry out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I have a .5L thermos that is the definition of "well seasoned". I'm looking to upgrade, particularly in the size department to a 24 oz/710ml one (bigger than is ok, but not anything obscene like a half gallon). What would be a good one?

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 3, 2017

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

GrAviTy84 posted:

christ, I remember the first time I saw that here, ugh.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Ooo. The grenade means platinum.

vermin posted:

"This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer.

Has this thing become meaningless and just shows up on everything?

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Doesn't it pertain now to 'processed meat'?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Probably if they include nitrates

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FishBulb posted:

Probably if they include nitrates

What about naturally occurring nitrates in celery? Then they'd have to sell every bunch of celery with a sticker that says "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer." I'd love to see that, and laugh at it.

Celery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't know

I really don't like it when stores advertise "uncured* meats" though

*EXCEPT TONS OF CELERY JUICE