Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So after several years of binging Twin Peaks season 1 in a mad fever dream of mystery and confusion I'm finally going to watch season 2 before I start checking out the revival. It's been mentioned several times before but I think it was recommended that you skip the back half of S2 and just watch Fire Walk With Me (and also check out the Twin Peaks-esque episode of Pysch) instead. Any other good ideas on watching order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

So after several years of binging Twin Peaks season 1 in a mad fever dream of mystery and confusion I'm finally going to watch season 2 before I start checking out the revival. It's been mentioned several times before but I think it was recommended that you skip the back half of S2 and just watch Fire Walk With Me (and also check out the Twin Peaks-esque episode of Pysch) instead. Any other good ideas on watching order?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wow, how insecure do you have to be to not want your SO to have a pretend relationship in a TV show?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

swickles posted:

I haven't seen either Life on Mars iteration, but I just want to chime in and say Life on Mars is the best Bowie song.

No. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6a3Wy1aOPQ

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Decius posted:

Must be a sad world where The Man Who Sold The World doesn't exist. Hope you did something great like not electing Trump over there to compensate for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKVhodA_q-g

It's so cool that he did a Nirvana song!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The latest episode of Orphan Black was really heartfelt. It looks like they're putting in the effort to pull all the disparate seasons together so that the final package wraps together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeso has sold Harmonquest and MBMBaM to the VRV streaming service. So, yeah. It's pretty much DOA at this point.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

swickles posted:

I haven't seen either Life on Mars iteration, but I just want to chime in and say Life on Mars is the best Bowie song.

I dunno if Under Pressure counts as a Bowie song but it's definitely tied with Life on Mars IMO.

Speaking of, I'm gonna rewatch Life on Mars in prep for watching Ashes to Ashes for the first time. All I know about Ashes to Ashes is its :krad: opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIdE-BFgMZA

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Seeso has sold Harmonquest and MBMBaM to the VRV streaming service. So, yeah. It's pretty much DOA at this point.

Hell, as long as we get more seasons of both, I doubt anyone is going to care

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

pentyne posted:

I would recommend against skipping anything. The show falls off the rails in terms of tone and a few storylines are entirely pointless but there's still plenty of enjoyment to find (especially involving Gordon Cole), and skipping the mid-season 2 episodes will probably lessen your enjoyment of the finale which should not be skipped under ANY circumstances.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

precision posted:

:agreed:

It and Patriot have stepped up to rival Rectify in terms of "holy poo poo that was a good first season"

How long does it take Rectify to get decent? I don't think I made it through the first episode. I really don't mind shows that are slow burn, for instance I love The Americans. I just remember the first half of the first episode feeling not just slow but ultra bland. I'm aware it probably just needs to set things up, I didn't quit out of hating it, it was more being distracted by other shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

How long does it take Rectify to get decent? I don't think I made it through the first episode. I really don't mind shows that are slow burn, for instance I love The Americans. I just remember the first half of the first episode feeling not just slow but ultra bland. I'm aware it probably just needs to set things up, I didn't quit out of hating it, it was more being distracted by other shows.

I loved it from moment one. It's an absolutely excellent show.

If you're not enjoying it, then it probably isn't for you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oh yes, Cleverman is back!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Decius posted:

Must be a sad world where The Man Who Sold The World doesn't exist. Hope you did something great like not electing Trump over there to compensate for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKVhodA_q-g

I love Bowie's version but it's not even the best version of that song

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just to make sure I do this properly, I should watch the normal Pilot and not the European Pilot because it's either missing something or has spoilers from memory, then add Fire Walk With Me (which I have seen, but when I was like 13 and don't remember much of) and then the new Season 3. That about right?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just to make sure I do this properly, I should watch the normal Pilot and not the European Pilot because it's either missing something or has spoilers from memory, then add Fire Walk With Me (which I have seen, but when I was like 13 and don't remember much of) and then the new Season 3. That about right?

Yep, just watch all the episodes in order followed by the movie. There's some really bad stuff in season 2 and that chart is a good indication of where the worst stuff is, but I wouldn't recommend skipping straight to the finale because there's some important things introduced in those episodes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, just spotted I should watch Missing Pieces too which is something I didn't know so that's good. I've always meant to get around to this and I feel dumb that I didn't do it last year so I could've joined in on s3 as it aired.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Cool, just spotted I should watch Missing Pieces too which is something I didn't know so that's good. I've always meant to get around to this and I feel dumb that I didn't do it last year so I could've joined in on s3 as it aired.

i believe there's a cut of FWWM with Missing Pieces edited back in.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

Yep, just watch all the episodes in order followed by the movie. There's some really bad stuff in season 2 and that chart is a good indication of where the worst stuff is, but I wouldn't recommend skipping straight to the finale because there's some important things introduced in those episodes.

Yeah; as someone watching through the show the first time and have hit the episodes in red, the episodes as a whole aren't awful, but there's subplots that I'm finding dull. They may be building up to something great, but it's become a bit of a slow burn on 2 of them. The core of the show is still real good.

Give yourself one good thing per episode :)

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 29, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To clarify the "European Pilot" mostly includes a tacked-on ending so it could be released as a theatrical feature if the pilot didn't get picked up. I think they even ended up screening it some places in Europe anyway, hence the title.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SciFi Channel in 1994 proudly presents Marvel's Inhumans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sYF1SXcWqQ

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Lockjaw looks pretty good, they deserve a modicum of credit for somehow pulling off the giant dog.

A shame about Literally Everything Else. I wonder how many iterations of Medusa's design and costuming they went through before deciding that one was the best?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
As someone who knows nothing about the source material, it pretty much all looks fine to me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Netflix has announced a 2 hours Sens8 movie serving as a series finale.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

Netflix can even save a Netflix cancelled show!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's really cool! I need to watch season 2 still.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Iwan Rheon with an American accent is weirding me the hell out

GreenNight posted:

Sometimes the world does you right

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rarity posted:

Sometimes the world does you right

It's just Netflix brand repair, let's not be naive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They likely planned this from the moment they decided it wasn't going to be renewed. Contract negotiations probably made the timing such that they had to announce the cancellation before they had the movie buttoned up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snak posted:

As someone who knows nothing about the source material, it pretty much all looks fine to me.

There's nothing glaringly bad. The thing comic book fans are reacting to is the lack of freaky special effects that these characters are supposed to have for their powers. Its hard to know if that stuff just isn't going to happen on a TV budget, is still being worked on, or is done but looks bad so they're hiding it. But that's basically the source of all the comic fan snark.

Well, that and comic book fans are always snarky about this stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medusa is definitely the worst part as her costume looks cheap and her hair just looks fake. Also Attilan looks kind of sparse, concrete walls with no decorations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Inhumans in the comics are basically Cronenberg's X-Men, so my issue is just that it looks way too sterile and conventional. In the wake of something like Legion, it's just disappointing to see them take such a safe approach, but who knows. I hope it's good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If you showed me that trailer without the titles, I wouldn't be able to tell you what the gently caress it was. It's so bland and generic looking, like distilled :geno: in video form.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Lockjaw.

Otherwise I'd agree. Its unspectacular and doesn't have any of the big "wow" things you'd think of with "Inhumans." So I get the reaction. I think its overdone when people say it looks "bad" but its definitely not exciting and I remain uncertain as to if those cool Inhuman things are still being worked on or just aren't going to be there.

I mean, I just read someone call it the worst trailer they've ever seen in their life. So while its a fairly bland trailer its also getting the usual comic book fan overreaction.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 29, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

In order for it to be bad it would have to be attempting something interesting or exciting and failing. It looks worse than bad, it looks bland and tepid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, putting aside the Medusa problem, the complete lack of Crystal doing anything, and whether or not Black Bolt works one of my first questions is "if you're filming in Hawaii and you have a guy who is like a merman mutation then why don't you have some kind of cool shot of him underwater or diving or something?"

But Triton wasn't even in the first trailer, Lockjaw barely was, and I don't think Gorgon's effects were. So I'm left wondering if there's a 3rd trailer to come that will have some of those things in it since we're still a few months away from it premiering. Part of me feels like they spent all the last couple of months making Lockjaw roll over.

edit: I also assume there's a bunch of sci-fi fans who want to see a really freaky alien city and that's what all the "filmed in Hawaii" criticism is about. I don't personally like freaky alien stuff so that one doesn't speak to me.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 29, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know anythinig about Inhumans I just thought the acting looked terrible and the costumes super cheap. Why even have Ramsey Bolton attempt a horrible accent, just make him British.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, Lockjaw.

Was that the bad-CG giant dog? I have no knowledge of the Inhumans or what they are beyond that one season of Agents of SHIELD.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the dog. Good or bad (I think he looks fine/cool) he's a huge part of the Inhuman package that makes clear to anyone familiar what they're seeing. But otherwise I agree with your point that there was nothing else to make clear what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

They likely planned this from the moment they decided it wasn't going to be renewed. Contract negotiations probably made the timing such that they had to announce the cancellation before they had the movie buttoned up.

I sincerely doubt it.

• Locked thread