Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

Thermaltake basically exclusively makes aluminium WC parts. It pains me whenever I walk into my local computer store and they have EK loops with Thermaltake aluminium radtiaors that I just know are going to be completely destroyed by galvanic corrosion.

And more details on Ryzen PRO:

https://videocardz.com/70594/amd-launches-ryzen-pro-workstation-processors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

That is a ton more power for 500MHz. They must be pushing these as hard as they can.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
And the press release:

https://videocardz.com/press-release/amd-announces-ryzen-pro-professional-desktop-cpus

No pricing however.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So this is the creme de la creme of silicon quality. Need to see some OC numbers on the 1700

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm sad the R3 line are 4C/4T. Hopefully Raven Ridge will have 4C/8T SKUs.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

If they price it against G4630 it will certainly have it's place. AM4 needs some low end skus to push the platform

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Risky Bisquick posted:

If they price it against G4630 it will certainly have it's place. AM4 needs some low end skus to push the platform

They do technically have excavator for AM4, but it's OEM exclusive. They have released A300 boards right? Just pump out 14nm LPP versions of Puma+ with L3 and an 8 core count, successor to AM1. I guarantee you'll have buyers for 15-35W 4-8 core CPUs, and this was already on their roadmap for 28nm (Carrizo-L, FP4 socket, 4 cores) and it'd be freaking tiny - Puma was 107mm² on 28nm, even just sticking to an essentially shrunk design should net a 60-70mm² die, double the cores +L3 would be like, ~120nm².

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BurritoJustice posted:

Thermaltake basically exclusively makes aluminium WC parts. It pains me whenever I walk into my local computer store and they have EK loops with Thermaltake aluminium radtiaors that I just know are going to be completely destroyed by galvanic corrosion.

Eh, I wouldn't be too worried about galvanic corrosion in the time frame most users will see these parts installed for.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I feel (extra) dumb here. What's the difference between, say, a regular 1700 and a PRO 1700?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NewFatMike posted:

I think 4/8's are called R5's in this naming scheme, like the 1500X/1400. Thats if you even try making sense of modern computer product naming schemes.

AT has their preview of the Pro models up, it basically sounds like these just have some enterprise security features enabled and a longer warranty. Roughly equivalent to the vPro line of i7/i5. http://www.anandtech.com/show/11591/amd-launches-ryzen-pro-cpus-enhanced-security-longer-warranty-better-quality

Alpha Man
Jun 23, 2010

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I feel (extra) dumb here. What's the difference between, say, a regular 1700 and a PRO 1700?

Actual support for ECC memory instead of 'you can use it but it's not officially supported.'

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Alpha Man posted:

Actual support for ECC memory instead of 'you can use it but it's not officially supported.'

that's it? lol

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Top-binned silicon as well.

eames
May 9, 2009

I have a hard time understanding the way Ryzen XFR/Turbo interacts with a load that i.e. maxes out one core and has medium load on four other cores.

Would a 1800X fall back to 3.6 Ghz base frequency on all cores in this case? Would a "manually overclocked" 1700 at 3.7 Ghz (most seem to do that) outperform it in that scenario?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
ok, got it. pro is a corporate desktop line -- enhanced support, extended warranty etc, but little other difference

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

ok, got it. pro is a corporate desktop line -- enhanced support, extended warranty etc, but little other difference

It seems to me like a bit more difference between the vPro enabled /non vPro Intel CPUs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

It seems to me like a bit more difference between the vPro enabled /non vPro Intel CPUs.

According to this Ars Technica article all of that stuff is in the non Pro Ryzens anyway: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/ryzen-pro-amd-takes-on-intel-on-the-corporate-desktop-with-one-key-omission/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Alpha Man posted:

I thought the official line was "Ryzen officially supports it but it's up to the motherboard manufacturers to support it themselves and complete the chain"? That's what I've been told by AMD fanboys, would be unsurprised to learn that's bullshit.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it really the best silicon? I'd have expected it to be just relabelled. All that stuffs probably going to THREADRIPPER / EPYC.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

I thought the official line was "Ryzen officially supports it but it's up to the motherboard manufacturers to support it themselves and complete the chain"? That's what I've been told by AMD fanboys, would be unsurprised to learn that's bullshit.

No, it's AMD who said it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x4hxu/we_are_amd_creators_of_athlon_radeon_and_other/def5ayl/
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/75030-ecc-memory-amds-ryzen-deep-dive.html

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 29, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it really the best silicon? I'd have expected it to be just relabelled. All that stuffs probably going to THREADRIPPER / EPYC.

It's likely the best silicon when it comes to voltage (since they are talking about extended warranties and reliability), not for clocks.

eames
May 9, 2009

AFAIK it silently corrects single bit errors but doesn't report the kernel or halt the system when a two bit error occurs.

I just ordered a 1700 system because I'm tired of waiting for Coffee Lake and need something to play around with; NPT performance bug seems to be fixable via software because people were able to get around it by using Xen as a hypervisor.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A while ago I've seen a video of some Linux dude testing it and forcing errors by loving with RAM voltages. It actually reported single bit errors under Linux. And caused a kernel panic on worse errors. I figure it'll do the same in Windows, too.

Also, they need finally to officially announce/reveal Threadripper.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Combat Pretzel posted:

A while ago I've seen a video of some Linux dude testing it and forcing errors by loving with RAM voltages. It actually reported single bit errors under Linux. And caused a kernel panic on worse errors. I figure it'll do the same in Windows, too.

Also, they need finally to officially announce/reveal Threadripper.

r-rip my threads AMDaddy

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its really hard to say if Epyc or ThreadRipper is a worse name to me. pretty neck and neck in complete terribleness.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
why the hell isnt threadripper a terrible name for smt?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The Ryzen naming scheme and recent patents give me the impression there is no marketing department, the engineers just ask the guys who run a d20 modern DOOM campaign in the break room because "they're good with names".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

The Ryzen naming scheme and recent patents give me the impression there is no marketing department, the engineers just ask the guys who run a d20 modern DOOM campaign in the break room because "they're good with names".

A d20 Modern DOOM campaign is the worst idea. Holy poo poo. Also EPYC is the worst name, especially since it's a server processor not a gaming part.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Threadripper is an objectively awesome name. Some might even say it's EPYC.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
I'll rip and tear anyone who thinks threadripper isnt loving kicking rad

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Scarecow posted:

I like it too. It's like something from a 90s Sega game.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

why the hell isnt threadripper a terrible name for smt?
that's what i was hoping for it to be used for but they used it for something better

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Arivia posted:

A d20 Modern DOOM campaign is the worst idea. Holy poo poo. Also EPYC is the worst name, especially since it's a server processor not a gaming part.

I can't stop laughing at this avatar/post combo, I'm sorry.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

I can't stop laughing at this avatar/post combo, I'm sorry.

If it helps, I got it FROM the 5e thread when they got mad at me for pointing out how terrible that game is in pretty much every conceivable way.

Threadripper is cool. Makes me think of DOOM.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scarecow posted:

:yeah:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

threadripper is a cool name for a sewing machine, its dumb for a $1000 computer chip. sounds like somethin a dude with those huge plastic dragon computer cases would have

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Cygni posted:

threadripper is a cool name for a sewing machine, its dumb for a $1000 computer chip. sounds like somethin a dude with those huge plastic dragon computer cases would have

What about a sewing machine powered by a $1000 computer chip?

In seriousness, I think AMD Marketing Team = D&D/Shadowrun group is a solid theory.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Cygni posted:

a dude with those huge plastic dragon computer cases

Yes, that's threadripper's target market

nerox
May 20, 2001

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I like it too. It's like something from a 90s Sega game.

Threadripper, now with Blast Processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SamDabbers posted:

Yes, that's threadripper's target market

im a man of more REFINED tastes

(this came up when i GISed "bad computer cases", and that couldnt be more wrong)