Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is there such a thing as good quality over/on ear Bluetooth headphones with a good microphone? Basically the headsets we have in the office suck and I've got my headphones on most of the time anyway. A boom mic is a must, as well as good mute/unmute features. I can find 3 groups: rando $30 Chinese Aliexpress specials, XTREME GAMING headsets and stuff by business-focused companies like Plantronics or Logitech. Nothing by companies who make good headphones as far as I can tell. Budget is $200-ish I guess, will go more if it's something really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Flaggy posted:

Budget - $50 - $70
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - I don't believe so.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. (Maybe 7.1?)
Past Headphones - Steelseries (cheap-o's I bought at Walmart on clearance, they are comfortable to wear, but the sound is cutting out constantly.
Preferred Music - All kinds of music, its mostly for gaming but I do use them to make calls for work.

Need a good pair of headphones for my PC. I think I want to go USB and have 7.1 but I don't know if that is even worth it. I work alot on my PC, but game as well so a good middle ground.

"7.1" headphones are a lie, run like hell from anything labelled as such. Best thing I can imagine in your price range is a pair of SHP-9500's: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

and a Vmoda Boompro, or rather this knockoff which I think is just as good: https://www.amazon.com/adapter-Micr...boom+microphone

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Massdrop lowered the price of the HD6xx back down to $200 :siren:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?mode=guest_open

I snagged myself a pair this go round. They won't be here till Christmas, but gently caress it. I've got plenty enough to keep me busy till then anyway. I still haven't even broken in my last $200 pair of headphones.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 29, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

and a Vmoda Boompro, or rather this knockoff which I think is just as good: https://www.amazon.com/adapter-Micr...boom+microphone
I had a pair of Crossfades a few years ago, wasn't wild about the fit. Are there any others that can use an external mic like that?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

qirex posted:

Is there such a thing as good quality over/on ear Bluetooth headphones with a good microphone? Basically the headsets we have in the office suck and I've got my headphones on most of the time anyway. A boom mic is a must, as well as good mute/unmute features. I can find 3 groups: rando $30 Chinese Aliexpress specials, XTREME GAMING headsets and stuff by business-focused companies like Plantronics or Logitech. Nothing by companies who make good headphones as far as I can tell. Budget is $200-ish I guess, will go more if it's something really good.

Not sure if they have a model that fits your exact needs but check out what SteelSeries has to offer.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

"7.1" headphones are a lie, run like hell from anything labelled as such. Best thing I can imagine in your price range is a pair of SHP-9500's: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

Those first ones look all right, but I don't think they have a mic which I need. I am hoping to avoid 3.5mm and use USB. The 2nd thing you linked is a microphone adapter. Unless you meant those two things to go together which I get. I would much rather have an all in one.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I snagged myself a pair this go round. They won't be here till Christmas, but gently caress it. I've got plenty enough to keep me busy till then anyway. I still haven't even broken in my last $200 pair of headphones.

Ordered just so I can have a spare for my HD650's. The two pairs should last me a lifetime.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just got a pair of M1060's last month but this is tempting... how different are their sound signatures? The only amp I have is an old Fiio E11

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Flaggy posted:

Those first ones look all right, but I don't think they have a mic which I need. I am hoping to avoid 3.5mm and use USB. The 2nd thing you linked is a microphone adapter. Unless you meant those two things to go together which I get. I would much rather have an all in one.

They go together seamlessly. The SHP has a 3.5mm jack where the cord plugs in, the boompro just plugs right in and replaces the cord. I'm unclear on why you would want USB for your headset, though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Is it worth it to upgrade to HD6XX from AKG K7XX's? Other cans I have are AD900x and M50s. I listen to basically every genre that isn't country or hardcore, but mostly electronica/dance and rock.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

Is it worth it to upgrade to HD6XX from AKG K7XX's? Other cans I have are AD900x and M50s. I listen to basically every genre that isn't country or hardcore, but mostly electronica/dance and rock.

The upgrade would definitely be to go from the AKGs to the Sennheisers so yes.
(corrected because I wrote a really bad sentence at first)

If you want sweet EDM/Synth headphones then consider an Audio Technica MSR7. Great treble and very tight bass with nice sub bass extension (not basshead cans mind you).
Should be in roughly the same price range.

If you don't mind spending a bit more get the Final Audio Sonorous IIIs for an actual legit upgrade that is also great value. Just bear in mind if you get those you'll probably want to spend extra on some ZMF Ori pads to achieve ungodly levels of comfort.
(stock pads are ok too I guess but I replaced them ASAP because of how they fit me personally)

This review is actually not hyperbole. It's that good and everything else I own is getting neglected.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/final2/1.html

If you asked me to describe the sound signature I would say "More bass than my planars, mid range about equal with my HD600s and minor treble fall off, all within a very wide sound stage. Great imaging too."

Oh they're also so efficient that my ancient Sony MP3 player can drive them extremely well at about a quarter volume.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 29, 2017

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Same here, even though I already have the HD598 and PSB M4U 2. Guess I'll finally have to buy an amp, though

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

BurritoJustice posted:

I'd say it's a bit of an upgrade for the type of music you're listening to (except for soundstage). Also at $200, it's worth it just to have a headphone with the Sennheiser veil in your collection so you can kind of confirm what your preferences are.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

curried lamb of God posted:

Same here, even though I already have the HD598 and PSB M4U 2. Guess I'll finally have to buy an amp, though

Yeah I'm looking forward to having an excuse to buy this.
I'm not crazy about the idea of a stepped attenuator but I'll admit I'm curious about the technology. I'm also gonna make 50' balanced headphone cables just to justify the use of the balanced outputs.

Constellation I posted:

I'd say it's a bit of an upgrade for the type of music you're listening to (except for soundstage). Also at $200, it's worth it just to have a headphone with the Sennheiser veil in your collection so you can kind of confirm what your preferences are.

I avoided the deal the first time because I was convinced that I wanted the HD600 over the 650. After hearing both I can tell you that there's not enough of a difference between them for me to care, or own both. If anything, the 600 has a little less of the 'Sennheiser Veil' but is still plenty nice for long listens. (I'm a fan of smooth easy headphones, and the Sennheiser veil)

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 29, 2017

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They go together seamlessly. The SHP has a 3.5mm jack where the cord plugs in, the boompro just plugs right in and replaces the cord. I'm unclear on why you would want USB for your headset, though.

I seem to be having issues with 3.5mm inputs on my PC. The sound will get real quiet, and I can hear others talking (while in discord) than it POPS back in at the volume it was. I have tried changing every setting in discord and on the PC that I can think of and it still happens. So it might be the inputs, or the jacks themselves.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm not crazy about the idea of a stepped attenuator but I'll admit I'm curious about the technology. I'm also gonna make 50' balanced headphone cables just to justify the use of the balanced outputs.

That's a bit rich for my blood :stare: I'm probably just going to get a Magni, or maybe an O2 if Massdrop puts it up for sale again soon

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

That's a bit rich for my blood :stare: I'm probably just going to get a Magni, or maybe an O2 if Massdrop puts it up for sale again soon

Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna have to sell a car or a couple of motorcycles to afford it. But at least then the wife AND I will be happier.

DancingShade posted:

If you don't mind spending a bit more get the Final Audio Sonorous IIIs for an actual legit upgrade that is also great value. Just bear in mind if you get those you'll probably want to spend extra on some ZMF Ori pads to achieve ungodly levels of comfort.
(stock pads are ok too I guess but I replaced them ASAP because of how they fit me personally)

This review is actually not hyperbole. It's that good and everything else I own is getting neglected.
The amazon reviews though... :sad:
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Audio-Design-SONOROUS-Headphones/dp/B015JA4UNS

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

DancingShade posted:

Sorry man - I like you and totally agree with you about the Monoprice Monolith M1060's but 6moons is the shadiest audiophile bullshit website.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Flaggy posted:

I seem to be having issues with 3.5mm inputs on my PC. The sound will get real quiet, and I can hear others talking (while in discord) than it POPS back in at the volume it was. I have tried changing every setting in discord and on the PC that I can think of and it still happens. So it might be the inputs, or the jacks themselves.

Sounds like a problem with your input jacks or the jack on your headphones. Try to isolate this by plugging in your current headphones into your phone or something. If it's the input jacks on your PC, then you can either get a cheap USB sound card based on the C-Media CM119 chip. (should be lots on Amazon from cheap brands like Syba) I'd recommend a DAC but you'd need a mic input too if your PC one is borked.

I know it's kinda lovely/strange that we're recommending 3 separate things to accomplish your needs (headphones, boompro, USB sound card) as opposed to getting a USB headset that has it all in one.

But if it makes you feel better, most USB headsets will use more or less use this same chip in their USB implementation, but buying the headphone separately guarantees you a much better sounding headphone with a good mic and it all still only uses one cable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

Not sure if they have a model that fits your exact needs but check out what SteelSeries has to offer.

That is firmly in the "gamer crap" wheelhouse and their bluetooth model is $350.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Flaggy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498772909&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+dac
Problem solved.

Constellation I posted:

But if it makes you feel better, most USB headsets will use more or less use this same chip in their USB implementation, but buying the headphone separately guarantees you a much better sounding headphone with a good mic and it all still only uses one cable.

Yeah, I hope you believe us when we say that as weird as all this is, you're still going to end up with something that sounds infinitely better than any gaming headset and has the same functionality, for a shitload less money. Maybe one day someone will produce a gaming headset that isn't garbage but for now this is the best possible solution.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 29, 2017

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498772909&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+dac
Problem solved.

Yeah, I hope you believe us when we say that as weird as all this is, you're still going to end up with something that sounds infinitely better than any gaming headset and has the same functionality, for a shitload less money. Maybe one day someone will produce a gaming headset that isn't garbage but for now this is the best possible solution.

I do believe you guys, and I really do appreciate it. I will do some testing tonight and try and figure it out and most likely go with the suggestions given. Thanks again!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

qirex posted:

I had a pair of Crossfades a few years ago, wasn't wild about the fit. Are there any others that can use an external mic like that?

Philips SHP9500, Philips Fidelio X1/X2, Audio Technica MSR7
With the bootleg BoomPro: Sennheiser HD598, AT M50

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Constellation I posted:

Philips SHP9500, Philips Fidelio X1/X2, Audio Technica MSR7
With the bootleg BoomPro: Sennheiser HD598, AT M50
I'm not clear, these are full on headphone cables with a mic integrated into them, I assume I'll have to plug in to my phone for it to work? That would defeat most of the purpose.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I avoided the deal the first time because I was convinced that I wanted the HD600 over the 650. After hearing both I can tell you that there's not enough of a difference between them for me to care, or own both. If anything, the 600 has a little less of the 'Sennheiser Veil' but is still plenty nice for long listens. (I'm a fan of smooth easy headphones, and the Sennheiser veil)

Oh jesus. Not this loving thing again. Audiophile bullshit

Try something with no snakeoil: https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

qirex posted:

I'm not clear, these are full on headphone cables with a mic integrated into them, I assume I'll have to plug in to my phone for it to work? That would defeat most of the purpose.

Totally misread your question, I thought yours was about headphones compatible with a BoomPro. I have no recommendations for bluetooth headsets unfortunately.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

redeyes posted:

Oh jesus. Not this loving thing again. Audiophile bullshit

Try something with no snakeoil: https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/

Schiit isn't really audiophile bullshit. They make ridiculous expensive overkill boxes but they at least live up to their specs and don't make dumb claims. Their cheap stuff is generally very good apart from slightly questionable build quality, but I guess that's how you get cheap stuff made in the USA.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

qirex posted:

That is firmly in the "gamer crap" wheelhouse and their bluetooth model is $350.

Haha sorry, I thought you meant visually with the gamer crap comment. At least SteelSeries doesn't look like a reject Transformer.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

If I have an amp or DAC that can drive them, are the HD6XX a noticeable upgrade from HD595s?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

SourKraut posted:

If I have an amp or DAC that can drive them, are the HD6XX a noticeable upgrade from HD595s?

I went from the 598 to the HD600. Looking back, I don't think I liked the 598's much. They have more sound stage, but no bass at all. I'm going off memory since I sold mine, but I remember them having grainy treble and sometimes I had to lower the volume cause the highs would be too much.

At least for the HD600, the sound is lush, with a bit more bass (650/6XX has more). The sound stage will be less, but I fixed that with a tube amp. For me, the upgrade was way worth it. I noticed how much better the 600's were when I first put them on.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

D1E posted:

Sorry man - I like you and totally agree with you about the Monoprice Monolith M1060's but 6moons is the shadiest audiophile bullshit website.

Oh the review is full of hard to read flowery bullshit, no question. But the headphones are pretty great.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna have to sell a car or a couple of motorcycles to afford it. But at least then the wife AND I will be happier.

The amazon reviews though... :sad:
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Audio-Design-SONOROUS-Headphones/dp/B015JA4UNS

Yeah I was talking about the III. You linked the X which is five grand and has 2 joke reviews.

Here you go http://a.co/f3ITS2s

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 30, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

drat NIGGA posted:

I went from the 598 to the HD600. Looking back, I don't think I liked the 598's much. They have more sound stage, but no bass at all. I'm going off memory since I sold mine, but I remember them having grainy treble and sometimes I had to lower the volume cause the highs would be too much.

At least for the HD600, the sound is lush, with a bit more bass (650/6XX has more). The sound stage will be less, but I fixed that with a tube amp. For me, the upgrade was way worth it. I noticed how much better the 600's were when I first put them on.

Thanks for the feedback! I woke up ready to buy them but the drop had ended... next time if they do the drop again.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I kinda have a dumb question. Will I have any issues if I plug my M50x headphones into the rear onboard audio port on the back of my computer?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

spasticColon posted:

I kinda have a dumb question. Will I have any issues if I plug my M50x headphones into the rear onboard audio port on the back of my computer?

You may find a painless growth behind your left ear, which is normal. If it grows to the size of an apricot or large plum, you should switch ports until the swelling goes down.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

spasticColon posted:

Depends on how lovely your computer is, though even nice boards with great onboard audio can have interference.

Try it, if you dont like it buy a usb dac

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Budget - $200-300
Source - Macbook, iPhone
Isolation Requirements - You need to not be able to hear it from the next cubicle over, but we have decent size cubes and I don't listen to music too loud. Open is probably okay?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I am poo poo awful at describing what I like. Some bass is good but super ultra bassy isn't necessary, strong treble isn't my preference
Past Headphones:
  • V-Moda M-80s. These are good, they get a little uncomfortable after a while as they press on my ears and make my glasses dig into my ears
  • Monoprice 8323s w/Brainwavs pads. These are quite comfortable, but the sound is... Okay I guess.
  • Superlux 668Bs, which I hate with a fiery passion. Felt like nails on a chalkboard right in my ear. I got rid of these a while ago but I figure a counter-example might be helpful
Preferred Music - Jazz, pop, metal, ambient electronic, kind of all over the shop.

I went and listened to some headphones in a local Best Buy. I expected to like the V-Moda M-100s but they kinda sound like garbage? I was driving it from my iPhone, maybe it can't drive them hard enough, or maybe the store just had a hosed up pair? Anyway, the other notable pair was the Sennheiser HD 558s, which were great.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

spasticColon posted:

It very much depends on your motherboard. May sound great, may sound like crap. It probably won't blow up anything, though.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Would an O2 be enough to drive the HD 6XX/650? I'm not planning on getting a DAC, since I would drive them from a 2015 MBP, which supposedly has a pretty good one.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Would an O2 be enough to drive the HD 6XX/650? I'm not planning on getting a DAC, since I would drive them from a 2015 MBP, which supposedly has a pretty good one.

For the most part, any purpose-built headphone amp should drive any headphone just fine. At least until you start getting into the truly outrageously expensive (multi-thousand $) headphones, and probably even then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Arcsech posted:

For the most part, any purpose-built headphone amp should drive any headphone just fine. At least until you start getting into the truly outrageously expensive (multi-thousand $) headphones, and probably even then.

Strictly speaking, even some relatively inexpensive headphones can have extremely high impedance and low sensitivity, making them to difficult to drive without sufficient power. However the Sennheiser HD650s are 300 ohm impedance with 103dB SPL/mW sensitivity so the O2 amp will definitely be more than sufficient.