Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Bionic Dues also has a, uh, surprising theme song for a roguelike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCClIC-ZXs

Also seconding (thirding?) Dead Cells being great. Super polished for early access and tons of fun. Combat and movement feels super solid and it got me in that 'one more run...' mindset. It also looks great, what is that style called? I think it's where they make a 3d model then create the sprite from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's been on my radar for awhile, but I've seen so many bad Mega Man fangames that I've been leery of pulling the trigger. How are the powerups/weapons?
Pretty good by the looks of things. I just won a run after what seems to be a rare event early on - I found a portal to a Very Safe Laboratory where a giant holographic scientist tempted me with power. Which is to say, the Zookeeper's Burden upgrade, which disables all your weapons in favour of giving you one of every autonomous option. That was a fun game. So there are at least a few wacky things in there. In general, the boss weapons seem good and well-rounded - you've got a couple of old standbys like the fire shield, but you've also got things like Vera, which is basically a machine gun with two main advantages: it doesn't trigger invincibility frames on bosses, and you can shoot it downwards to briefly fly. And you have the option to forgo the weapons in favour of either cash or another upgrade.

On the minus side, the final level isn't in yet. It looks like it's in the pipeline soon, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PMush Perfect posted:

I tried really hard to like Streets of Rogue, and I talked about this during the free weekend, but the controls just feel so... mushy. Its humor is a little mid-2000s for my taste, as well, but I'd probably still play it if the controls were better.
Honestly can't disagree with that, especially the Werewolf both controls weird (like all characters) and hits really unsatisfyingly (because bare handed feels even worse than other melee weapons).

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

Also seconding (thirding?) Dead Cells being great. Super polished for early access and tons of fun. Combat and movement feels super solid and it got me in that 'one more run...' mindset. It also looks great, what is that style called? I think it's where they make a 3d model then create the sprite from it?

The only term I've heard for it is "overdrawing." It can look good (as it does for Dead Cells), but just like with rotoscoping it can easily come out looking stiff and weird.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It took me 8 tries to beat Deathstate. I am bad at games. I think there's a fine line between making a game accessible and making it too easy. I get that there's additional difficulties and an endless mode, but the presentation around that could be a lot better. Make me work a bit harder to beat your game.

Actually in general as I play more I get a bit less enamored of the game. There are three issues I have with it so far:

1.It feels very grindy. There is no real disincentive for clearing out the entire floor so that you can get every possible organ. Food clocks or ghost monsters or whatever are used in other roguelikes and roguelites to prevent this, and I think Deathstate would have been a lot better with something similar.

2. Potions are terrible. There are three that are worth anything as far as I can tell - health (which only partially heals, and not much), slow time, and third eye. The rest are actively detrimental to gameplay, or pointless. I am someone who loves a good potion ID subgame. The potion ID subgame here is: drink potions early in your run and hope you find health. If you find health, don't bother drinking anything unidentified after that. If you don't, only drink them when you have extra health around you and are in a safe space... and even then maybe just don't bother.

3. No leaderboard as far as I can tell. (if there is one, my issue is that lack of visibility of the leaderboard) This is a game that is screaming out for a leaderboard. Give me a reason to speedrun the level. This is pretty standard roguelite stuff at this point and the lack of it is noticeable.

I'll see how it feels once I hit the endless mode. Normally endless doesn't do anything for me, but the core gameplay here is fun enough that I might get a couple runs in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jordan7hm posted:

It took me 8 tries to beat Deathstate. I am bad at games. I think there's a fine line between making a game accessible and making it too easy. I get that there's additional difficulties and an endless mode, but the presentation around that could be a lot better. Make me work a bit harder to beat your game.

Actually in general as I play more I get a bit less enamored of the game. There are three issues I have with it so far:

1.It feels very grindy. There is no real disincentive for clearing out the entire floor so that you can get every possible organ. Food clocks or ghost monsters or whatever are used in other roguelikes and roguelites to prevent this, and I think Deathstate would have been a lot better with something similar.

2. Potions are terrible. There are three that are worth anything as far as I can tell - health (which only partially heals, and not much), slow time, and third eye. The rest are actively detrimental to gameplay, or pointless. I am someone who loves a good potion ID subgame. The potion ID subgame here is: drink potions early in your run and hope you find health. If you find health, don't bother drinking anything unidentified after that. If you don't, only drink them when you have extra health around you and are in a safe space... and even then maybe just don't bother.

3. No leaderboard as far as I can tell. (if there is one, my issue is that lack of visibility of the leaderboard) This is a game that is screaming out for a leaderboard. Give me a reason to speedrun the level. This is pretty standard roguelite stuff at this point and the lack of it is noticeable.

I'll see how it feels once I hit the endless mode. Normally endless doesn't do anything for me, but the core gameplay here is fun enough that I might get a couple runs in.

My short objections to your complaints:

There actually is a timer! If you hang out too long on a floor you will get haunted and die!

Potions are great because of the chemist lady - you're playing russian roulette with her skill, which is a lot of fun to make it more interesting, imo.

I don't care about leaderboards, but I get your point. That would be a cool feature for people who care about them!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

It took me 8 tries to beat Deathstate.

I bought it too. Pretty fun. But I agree that sometimes you feel like you're just swimming through endless piles of wimpy monsters. I think it would benefit if a) the timer were shorter, but b) once you get the timer message (or once you've killed X% of the enemies), you also get a little compass arrow pointing toward the exit. All too often levels end with me irritably wandering around looking for an exit because it spawned in some weird cul de sac.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

iirc the timer actually used to be shorter (and I think scaled with the size of the level), but was extended in a patch at some point for reasons that are mysterious to me but probably obvious to people who have to care about steam reviews for their game - it was definitely tuned pretty tightly for people working to find that last altar on a max desecration run, but people in that group are looking for an unfair challenge anyway. Even then you were unlikely to have problems with it on your first, desecration-free run.

I thought the difficulty ramped up pretty nicely as you start poking at desecration; the altars are common enough that it didn't seem unreasonably hidden or anything so I'm having trouble seeing where you're coming from on the overall difficulty point. When you say you beat it do you mean just a first plain run? It's definitely on the silly-easy side if you leave everything undesecrated and vanilla but I am okay with having an easy option for people.

Potions and also shops are definitely mostly garbage and felt a lot like vestigial systems, although I will agree that chemist lady was kind of cool. She was competing with rad skeletons and the eye though, so it was hard to justify playing as her very often.

It would definitely benefit from leaderboards.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's been on my radar for awhile, but I've seen so many bad Mega Man fangames that I've been leery of pulling the trigger. How are the powerups/weapons?

It's pretty excellent. The weapons are pretty varied and have both combat use and can interact with the levels in unique ways. The devs release updates every 2 weeks without fail, and it's come a long way since the early days. It's got 8 bosses with 4 level tilesets with a good deal of variety. Difficulty is based on the order you tackle the levels in, so there's a massive difference between a starting Sky Temple and a level 8 one. Fair warning, despite the name it's very much a Mega Man X game, not classic Mega Man. It's got dashing, wall jumps, and both an X and Zero variant in the two characters. I'm a bigger fan of the X series, so this is right up my alley.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
20xx is really good.

Also super fun to play coop, the netcode is really solid and they only issues ive ever seen with it were minor visual bugs (usually involving your parter on moving platforms).

Been playing it on and off for about a year and am really looking forward to the full release because the current version doesn't have the sigma/wily stage equivalents so it just ends after the 8 bosses.

edit: to answer the actual question that was asked the powerups are your pretty standard roguelite affair passive bonuses with the exception of core augs (armor pieces that modify you more fundamentally) and these super powerful devil deal style tradeoff items that appear in secret areas. The weapons seem to be trying very hard to all be useful which has been mostly successful (the buster gun that fires in all 4 cardinal directions I still never take and the boss weapon that keeps your momentum didn't click for me back in the day but its been reworked since then and ive not tried it) and the level interactions idea is clever and meaningful enough that ive taken weapons entirely for that purpose.

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 27, 2017

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I spent too fuckin long on this guy to not post him:

The horribly burned wizombiemans!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'd like to thank this thread for talking about Dream Quest because I never knew it existed until today.

First win after a couple of hours was with the Samurai. Went absolutely upgrade crazy, with five maxed sorcerous strike, and got a bunch of equipment. By the end I had two sets of different armor (granting damage absorb, regen, and flat damage reduction) plus the tome that grabs the next spell from your deck each turn. All equipped. Did eventually chapel out the bad attack cards, but not until late in the dungeon.

e: I thought the Samurai run was crazy, but I was wrong. Got a Thief who draws through his whole deck every combat round, reliably, for about 70 damage (and 1/3 of that as self-healing due to the deity):

Took me far too long to figure out the Phoenix's gimmick, but still beat it without popping immortality.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 27, 2017

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Bought Sanctuary RPG: Black Edition and really enjoying it, especially since it helps scratch the itch in the part of my brain that's busted which constantly daydreams and plots about making ascii art.

When I first started it up I got a screen to follow a link to a possible beta or something for a new game being made, someone mentioned it in the thread, but I can't find that post now, and I can't find the link in my history since I only noticed a couple days after I first opened the game to make sure it would run that it's pretty awesome, and I don't remotely remember what the url would even read like.

Would not at all mind checking out that link I was shown the first time the game started up, is there an obvious thing I'm missing to get it to pop up again?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Thanks for all the Samurai tips! I think I was prioritizing Smash / Heal a bit too much and managed to pull out a win through Deck of Wonder / Shrink and liberal use of cleanses. Going to go for the "reduce the LoD under 750 health" cheevos, as soon as I finish playing Professor :v:

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Life's too short for that, just buy them with achievement points!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I spent too fuckin long on this guy to not post him:

The horribly burned wizombiemans!

Your sprites are fantastic and this particularly owns bones.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Your sprites are fantastic and this particularly owns bones.

Thanks, here's a link to a compilation with all of them so far:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx2I30M4NVLISko0ZUV3XzMzTXc

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

bisonbison posted:

After a couple months of radio silence and/or unrelated to dev posts, The URR dev has posted an explanation citing burnout, which, yeah: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2017/06/24/burnout-and-the-future/

Honestly wishing him the best, and glad I won't be reading about WRs for bullet hells any more.

Did he get any records after Cho Ren Sha? Those were good posts

I'd love to read him analyzing the games more in depth, in any case.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 28, 2017

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I'm slowly learning how to play roguelikes. I'm actually using consumables and scrolls now, and have reached the lofty height of level 10 in dungeonmans!

the post mortem report feature in dungeonmans is super helpful in telling me where i'm going wrong

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Flamebreak isn't bad. It's no Isaac, but it's kind of like Hero Siege? So it's not awful. I don't like how the first map is 100% popcorn enemies (and I'm not even good enough that I've ever beaten the game yet) with no chance of items I care about, and I don't like how some skills feel like 10x better than others but your skills can be rerolled infinitely before starting and not changed after. Maybe I just suck at some skills and weapons? Eh, it's fun. I'll put more time into it and see if I have more substantive complaints.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

RoboCicero posted:

Thanks for all the Samurai tips! I think I was prioritizing Smash / Heal a bit too much and managed to pull out a win through Deck of Wonder / Shrink and liberal use of cleanses. Going to go for the "reduce the LoD under 750 health" cheevos, as soon as I finish playing Professor :v:

I really enjoy spell shenanigans with Samurai. It clicks for me much better than any other class. Just did 140 damage in one turn. Mana Swell + Electrocute is very very good.

It doesn't hurt that the Samurai has an insanely good passive. There's a class in Desktop Dungeons that does a similar thing - benefits massively from fighting higher-level opponents - and it feels really great. A big chunk of my deaths on other classes come from getting attritioned down in a tight spot. Just doesn't happen with the Samurai.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Flamebreak isn't bad. It's no Isaac, but it's kind of like Hero Siege? So it's not awful. I don't like how the first map is 100% popcorn enemies (and I'm not even good enough that I've ever beaten the game yet) with no chance of items I care about, and I don't like how some skills feel like 10x better than others but your skills can be rerolled infinitely before starting and not changed after. Maybe I just suck at some skills and weapons? Eh, it's fun. I'll put more time into it and see if I have more substantive complaints.

It's on the level with Binding of Isaac speedruns except aimed more for coffee break game sessions. I think I spent a good two weeks on trading top times on the dailies before I burned out on it. And then the devs added more stuff.

It's competent but it won't be everyone's tea.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I've been playing a couple of these twinstick shooter rougelikes, which are something I haven't really touched before. I don't know if this is a complaint or just a personal design quirk, but: are there any of these games that minimize having things shoot at you from off screen?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

resistentialism posted:

I've been playing a couple of these twinstick shooter rougelikes, which are something I haven't really touched before. I don't know if this is a complaint or just a personal design quirk, but: are there any of these games that minimize having things shoot at you from off screen?

Isaac doesn't do it much and when it does there's usually a noise played in advance.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
things will shoot at you from offscreen in nuclear throne but it's still the peak of the genre and I will bring it up without hesitation

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Flamebreak has everything all on one screen. :v:

I mean there are danger elements that will still appear out of nowhere but that's beside the point! (And they give a decent amount of warning)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IronicDongz posted:

things will shoot at you from offscreen in nuclear throne but it's still the peak of the genre and I will bring it up without hesitation

the only things that do that make giant, unmistakable guide lasers accompanied by high-pitched whines before firing as it is

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

the only things that do that make giant, unmistakable guide lasers accompanied by high-pitched whines before firing as it is

Or else their shots are so slow that it's no big deal.

Binding of Isaac Rebirth added bigger rooms and thus much greater potential for enemies to hit you from offscreen. It doesn't happen much, granted, but it's a pain in the rear end when it does, especially with the hitscan (laser) attacks.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Anyways I've been playing gungeon and there's a definite spelunky effect. Just need to get better at it, and you notice yourself slowly doing so.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

resistentialism posted:

I'm going to put in what I think is the first time this game has been recommended in this thread - Monolith. I don't think it's as good as Nuclear Throne, but for a first release it feels remarkably polished. It does the same sort of thing as Isaac and Flamebreak where all the fights happen in arenas no bigger than the screen, but there's enough variety in enemies and weapon types that it hasn't felt repetitive yet. It does the BoI thing where hitting in-game achievements unlocks new equipment, but you have to choose to unlock them with persistent in-game currency, so I think you can completely ignore that if you don't want any of that. It's new enough that the developer hasn't been able to put it on sale on Steam this summer, but it's pretty cheap regardless.

Also it looks very pretty.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

resistentialism posted:

Anyways I've been playing gungeon and there's a definite spelunky effect. Just need to get better at it, and you notice yourself slowly doing so.

Gungeon does occasionally have things shooting you from off-screen, though like most bullet hell games, it's kind of built around you watching your character rather than the enemy.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I really really like deathstate and wish I could convince more people to play it.

I just bought it because of this and other chatter here -- I had never really looked at it before today. Played the first level while waiting for a compile to finish. Yeah, that's pretty fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's fun but eesh if you dont get decent powerups in levels 1-2 you're not going to make it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gungeon is just too slow

I don't know it is about the twinstick/rogue genre, but I have yet to find one that's really nailed it for me.

I want to like the genre. I really do. But I keep buying them, and I keep dropping them.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Gaslight Games (Dungeons of Dredmore, Clockwork Empires) are gone it seems: http://steamcommunity.com/app/224740/discussions/0/135512305396982643/?ctp=2

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah gaslamp's been considered a dead and gone company since the beginning of the year i think

also lmao that's a really, really bad steam topic, some incredibly awful posters in there

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just as expected from Paul Blart mall cop

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Gungeon is just too slow

I don't know it is about the twinstick/rogue genre, but I have yet to find one that's really nailed it for me.

I want to like the genre. I really do. But I keep buying them, and I keep dropping them.

Nuclear Throne is probably the best twinstick roguelite out there, unless you count Isaac as a twinstick (even then I personally prefer Throne to Isaac). Which I guess Isaac kind of is, but between only having four angles of attack, the relatively slow pace of combat, and the momentum-based projectile system, it really doesn't feel like one.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
People just do not understand that most software/game projects don't end up shipping. Downside of publisher-less world is that's exposed directly to customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
It's 4am now, I'm programming a thing for a client that's overdue a month and I accidentally typed a row of "U" into my terminal. Started having flashbacks. Thanks angband, I've not played you in years and I still bloody remember to be scared of various ascii characters.