Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

beepsandboops posted:

Why would us Americans pay for something that's only for poors? Seems like a bad plan
It's kind of funny to think the Roberbarons and their Ilk funded projects that bore their big giant names across them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
EFF letter to Zwillow: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3882107-Wagner-Eff-Letter-to-Zillow-2017-06-29.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That is a thorough and complete smackdown. Nice.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darchangel posted:

Man, the forums never forget your sins.

i for one am :allears: for the next saga of beatmasterj

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

McMansion Hell:

quote:

GOOD NEWS!!
Zillow has decided to drop claims against McMansion Hell!

Thank you EFF!! There will be two posts this week as usual after all. Stay tuned tomorrow.

DONATE TO THE EFF HERE: http://eff.org/donate

Thank you everyone for your love and support! I’ll see you tomorrow!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

Note to self: don't hire draughtsmen based 1000km downcountry.

Boundaries of property as drawn by draughter:

What boundaries actually looked like:

The digger driver was a bit alarmed when the offset to the back boundary overlapped the house site by 7 meters.

I wouldn't use a level benchmark based 100km away when there's another one 50km away either, but hey, what do I know, I'm just a field ape.

Oh god. While I can't speak for the surveying, I work as a truss designer/estimator and the amount of times I've had to call up a drafty and say "actually no, a 200mm truss can't clear span 10 metres", is ridiculous. The worst example was a job on the south coast of australia, where blocks can go for $500,000+, and the construction company had an in house engineer, which because of this has now become a huge red flag for me, who asked for 200mm floor trusses over a clear span of 8 metres or so. When I called the builder to explain that if the trusses somehow didn't snap clean in half, you're going to have 12mm of deflection and be like walking around on a trampoline he just said to me, "Our engineer says it's fine so just do it that way."

I refused (with the support of our manager) so we obviously didn't get the job, but this was probably a 1.5 million dollar house on one of the most coveted spots along the coast and I was just kinda flabbergasted and worried for these poor people who are getting these guys to build this house for them (although this is probably their 5th beach house around the country so my sympathy was short lived). Technically it "worked" in our design program and that it could get signed off by an inspector but there is no way anyone would actually want to deal with living with that.

screaden fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 30, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

McMansion Hell:

:neckbeard:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm disappointed she won't be using zillow photos anymore. Redfin?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She should use Zillow photos exclusively because Zillow is home to the worst houses. :colbert:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

beepsandboops posted:

Why would us Americans pay for something that's only for poors? Seems like a bad plan

LA county passed sales tax increase last year that will bring in almost a billion dollars a year, for the next 40 years, dedicated to public transit and infrastructure

When LA is doing better than you in public transit, you know you tucked up

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

screaden posted:

Oh god. While I can't speak for the surveying, I work as a truss designer/estimator and the amount of times I've had to call up a drafty and say "actually no, a 200mm truss can't clear span 10 metres", is ridiculous. The worst example was a job on the south coast of australia, where blocks can go for $500,000+, and the construction company had an in house engineer, which because of this has now become a huge red flag for me, who asked for 200mm floor trusses over a clear span of 8 metres or so. When I called the builder to explain that if the trusses somehow didn't snap clean in half, you're going to have 12mm of deflection and be like walking around on a trampoline he just said to me, "Our engineer says it's fine so just do it that way."

I refused (with the support of our manager) so we obviously didn't get the job, but this was probably a 1.5 million dollar house on one of the most coveted spots along the coast and I was just kinda flabbergasted and worried for these poor people who are getting these guys to build this house for them (although this is probably their 5th beach house around the country so my sympathy was short lived). Technically it "worked" in our design program and that it could get signed off by an inspector but there is no way anyone would actually want to deal with living with that.

Yeah, there's a fuckton of guys out there who just seem to have a surface understanding of draughting, they are just drawing without realizing that it has to fit in with the real world.

They are the ones that go to pieces the moment that the lines aren't right angles. Perhaps 1 in 4 plans we get have significant mistakes in them, either not enough dimensions to plot the footprint accurately or the house + offsets don't actually fit on the property. In that case we see if we can fit the house using the most critical ones and check if it complies with the bylaws and often we can continue. A few times a year I have to return plans that simply don't have enough information to establish the location.

It gets quite easy to tell when someone has spent all their time drawing a pretty house and then dumped a smattering of dimensions on using the dim tool in five minutes at the end. At the other end of the scale some of the best guys often work for the long established franchise builders and supply plans which will have four or five rows of dimensions, one for each major trade, e.g one for the floor guys, one for the framing, for the walls halfway through the house, etc.

And then there's the architecturally designed luxury houses who love to trace contour lines off the council records system and then design a house with 30mm in freeboard between the roof and the maximum height limits. Then it becomes a lottery where second prize is "Oh also your house is breaching the height in relation to boundary rules by half a meter and we won't sign it off. You need to go back to the council and get an amended consent, and because if looms over your neighbour, he needs to sign off on it too."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Glumslinger posted:

LA county passed sales tax increase last year that will bring in almost a billion dollars a year, for the next 40 years, dedicated to public transit and infrastructure

When LA is doing better than you in public transit, you know you tucked up

That's assuming they actually put it to use for the system at large and not for, say, fast-tracking Subway to the Sea/Rail around Olympic sites or other crazy poo poo they are ought to do.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FilthyImp posted:

That's assuming they actually put it to use for the system at large and not for, say, fast-tracking Subway to the Sea/Rail around Olympic sites or other crazy poo poo they are ought to do.

Subway to the Sea is cool and my friend

But yeah, there is a huge master plan about all of the projects they plan to use this money on, and a lot of it is improving the bus system since its still the backbone of LA's public transit. Also a tunnel under the 405

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My drafting course was like 80% about span tables and the building code and how to design things that will get approval and permits and not fall down. I don't understand how these people can be so bad. Even without any construction training you should intuitively know that a 200mm beam isn't going to span a huge room. In fact I think most humans tend to over-estimate the structure they need for something to be "solid" despite the horror pictures in this thread.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

The proposed LA Olympic venues are spread out all around the southland so that would be a great use of funds actually.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

My drafting course was like 80% about span tables and the building code and how to design things that will get approval and permits and not fall down. I don't understand how these people can be so bad. Even without any construction training you should intuitively know that a 200mm beam isn't going to span a huge room. In fact I think most humans tend to over-estimate the structure they need for something to be "solid" despite the horror pictures in this thread.

One of the things new engineers have to learn is that even if a solution is acceptable from a physical and legal perspective, it may have to be overspecced for customer comfort.

Like, a laminated pane of glass can easily be thick enough for a safe railing, but it may deflect and vibrate alarmingly when people bump it if you don’t thicken it beyond that.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

The proposed LA Olympic venues are spread out all around the southland so that would be a great use of funds actually.

quote:

proposed Olympic venues

quote:

a great use of funds actually.

Hmmm...

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

Yeah, there's a fuckton of guys out there who just seem to have a surface understanding of draughting, they are just drawing without realizing that it has to fit in with the real world.

They are the ones that go to pieces the moment that the lines aren't right angles. Perhaps 1 in 4 plans we get have significant mistakes in them, either not enough dimensions to plot the footprint accurately or the house + offsets don't actually fit on the property. In that case we see if we can fit the house using the most critical ones and check if it complies with the bylaws and often we can continue. A few times a year I have to return plans that simply don't have enough information to establish the location.

It gets quite easy to tell when someone has spent all their time drawing a pretty house and then dumped a smattering of dimensions on using the dim tool in five minutes at the end. At the other end of the scale some of the best guys often work for the long established franchise builders and supply plans which will have four or five rows of dimensions, one for each major trade, e.g one for the floor guys, one for the framing, for the walls halfway through the house, etc.

And then there's the architecturally designed luxury houses who love to trace contour lines off the council records system and then design a house with 30mm in freeboard between the roof and the maximum height limits. Then it becomes a lottery where second prize is "Oh also your house is breaching the height in relation to boundary rules by half a meter and we won't sign it off. You need to go back to the council and get an amended consent, and because if looms over your neighbour, he needs to sign off on it too."

Yeah everything you've mentioned here is constant source of poo poo I deal with as well. While I won't send plans back (most of the time) and i'll just work around it to get the quote done, I'll put a ton of notes that basically amount to "you need to fix this poo poo" before we start making anything. I mean check this poo poo out

Admittedly this section isn't too hard to read in some parts (although what the gently caress is that between the 300mm and 656mm? Who knows?) But the entire thing was like this on 3 storey/3 townhouse set of plans, trying to make sure everything was dimensioned correctly was a huge pain in the arse and made the whole job take a bunch of extra time that could have easily been avoided.

My biggest source of frustration though is drafties not understanding the difference between a cantilevered eave or an overhang eave. Because they'll always mix the two up so it's kind of impossible to tell how they meant the roof lines to look. It's actually pretty important to differentiate between them as well because it will pretty significantly change the roof and fascia lines and cantilevered eaves are much more expensive because every truss will need an extra timber web to meet at the external wall, which means 4 extra steel plates (1 to each end of the web, 1 on each side of the truss) as well as the extra labour of cutting and putting together.

I've also never met an architect who could draw a sensible or clear set of plans, none of that architectural and design theory makes a drat difference if you don't know how the house will actually be put together.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

E: Plot the lift shaft

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 30, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

That's a lot of dragon dildos attached to the walls.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I have no idea what's wrong with that, looks like a single floor?

(I'm the stare)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

screaden posted:

I've also never met an architect who could draw a sensible or clear set of plans, none of that architectural and design theory makes a drat difference if you don't know how the house will actually be put together.

I've had a couple of occasions on my house build where the architect/SE loving up the drawings nearly led to thousands of pounds of reworking. Also no amount of explaining including pulling out autocad and doing the annotations myself managed to get through to them on the position of a wall and it's still wrong in the current plans.

Synthbuttrange posted:

(I'm the stare)

Gonna say that's a store.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

So we've got offset stairs, but created by putting the star treads at an angle, made out of clear lucite, and only supported via cantilever, with a handrail that looks like it's a weird "inset" in the wall rather than a real handrail, that look to descend into a basement apartment where someone likely lives alone.

Rest assured, these stairs have killed before, and they will kill again.

The more I look the more I think maybe it's a weird render/concept?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
While we're talking about drafting...one thing I've always kinda wanted to do is draft plans for my own house and then build it. Obviously any plans I'd come up with would have to get signoff by an actual architect as well as the building and planning committee of whatever city I'd build in (no Groverhaus here, please), but even given that, is this a tremendously stupid idea? I have zero formal schooling in this topic; it took me three tries to get my workshop's plans past the building/planning committee and that was a simple stick-built, single-floor, four-walls-and-a-roof deal.

I'm well aware that most people just find an architect who has a bunch of pre-existing plans, and then they pick one and/or mix-and-match plan subsets until they get something they're happy with. That feels like it'd be less satisfying to me though.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

That would even be more awesome with extremely sharp edges so that anyone just walking by and merely bumping into them will be severely cut.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

While we're talking about drafting...one thing I've always kinda wanted to do is draft plans for my own house and then build it. Obviously any plans I'd come up with would have to get signoff by an actual architect as well as the building and planning committee of whatever city I'd build in (no Groverhaus here, please), but even given that, is this a tremendously stupid idea? I have zero formal schooling in this topic; it took me three tries to get my workshop's plans past the building/planning committee and that was a simple stick-built, single-floor, four-walls-and-a-roof deal.

I'm well aware that most people just find an architect who has a bunch of pre-existing plans, and then they pick one and/or mix-and-match plan subsets until they get something they're happy with. That feels like it'd be less satisfying to me though.

There's a lot of institutional wisdom baked into most real-world floorplans. If you did this, expect it to cost waaay more to build than you'd expect if you're going full custom, telling the architect what to do, and not making considerations for how floorplan will affect construction cost.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm the steps in the floor underneath the stairs you twist your ankle on while being distracted by the horrible death stairs

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Synthbuttrange posted:

I have no idea what's wrong with that, looks like a single floor?

(I'm the stare)

The way the dimensions are drawn makes it impossible to actually built the lift shaft and a few other walls accurately. A lot of architects have no loving clue how to dimension things so that people on-site can actually make use of their plans to build the thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you're hiring an architect they are designing a proper house for you, they're taking your drawings/ideas and translating them into a real building that can be built. Buying pre-drawn house plans are for riff-raff who think saving a few thousand on a 300k or more investment in some how a good idea that won't result in an architecturally regrettable house.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Neutrino posted:

That would even be more awesome with extremely sharp edges so that anyone just walking by and merely bumping into them will be severely cut.

what if they were retractable, call them the lion's claw

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They're all existing venues, LA is planning on building only one or two venues specifically for the olympics (which will be re-used later)

https://la.curbed.com/maps/olympics-map-los-angeles-2024-bid

It's a given that the LA olympics will once again be profitable.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

They're all existing venues, LA is planning on building only one or two venues specifically for the olympics (which will be re-used later)

https://la.curbed.com/maps/olympics-map-los-angeles-2024-bid

Lol loving olympic level traffic on the 91 getting to Lake Perris

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FCKGW posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neutrino posted:

You walk towards it and come out the other end in slices like some budget Damien Hirst piece.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

So we've got offset stairs, but created by putting the star treads at an angle, made out of clear lucite, and only supported via cantilever, with a handrail that looks like it's a weird "inset" in the wall rather than a real handrail, that look to descend into a basement apartment where someone likely lives alone.

Rest assured, these stairs have killed before, and they will kill again.

The more I look the more I think maybe it's a weird render/concept?

You'll put your eye out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Why is the female umpire bathroom larger than the male umpire bathroom? Why are their toilets attached to walls that are directly opposite a meeting room? Why would anyone in "reception" want to be immediately outside the doors of a large bathroom? Why are there so loving many bathrooms?

That "teams room/meeting room" is just the best. It's gonna be a constant litany of the faint sounds of flushing toilets and running water in there.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Third driver struck by falling concrete along I-696

Another vehicle traveling along Interstate 696 has been damaged by a piece of loose concrete.

The latest incident happened when Sarah Pospy was driving under the Groesbeck Highway overpass. She says she was riding along when she heard a really loud bang.

"There was no other cars in front of me so I knew it was nothing that a car had kicked up," she says. "I was scared because it was really loud. I thought somebody was shooting at me."

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/258442234-story

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Why is the female umpire bathroom larger than the male umpire bathroom? Why are their toilets attached to walls that are directly opposite a meeting room? Why would anyone in "reception" want to be immediately outside the doors of a large bathroom? Why are there so loving many bathrooms?

That "teams room/meeting room" is just the best. It's gonna be a constant litany of the faint sounds of flushing toilets and running water in there.

To answer your first question, it's part of a Netball arena, so it'll be host to hordes of young women every week. The answer to the other questions is "No-one knows"

They hard bit isn't the technical drawing, there should be plenty of sources on that. But you'd need to do a hell of a lot of homework to get it right. Most designers have been taught the basic principles and then design around the council bylaws and the building code except where the client wants more. Because they do a lot of houses, they can think "OK, in this area we need a floor slab this thick, this brand of insulation will get the correct R value, the driveway will be this thick and We can get around impenetrable code clause 756.3.1.3.2B by doing this."

Obviously it's possible plenty of people DIY, and I think more people do it in America where the regulatory overhead is often lighter. The easier way would probably be to have a pet professional, rather than becoming an expert in every facet of house design.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Would you drive a car that you designed yourself with no training? Don't do this, just talk with someone actually trained in this about what you want in a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

To answer your first question, it's part of a Netball arena, so it'll be host to hordes of young women every week.

OK but then why not at least get more toilets or sinks in there? It's larger, but it has nothing extra in it besides space. Space which is taken away from that meeting room, presumably.

My guess is, the male room was originally the same size, and then they decided they needed those two little closets or whatever, so they just reduced the size of the male umpire room to squeeze them in and then did nothing to rationalize the use of space.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 1, 2017