Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I give it a B- since they didn't paint the floppy and optical drives to match. :krad: airbrush work on that tiger though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Replace the tiger with a wolf howling at the moon and then I'll consider that case.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Threadripper sounds metal as gently caress and is apropos for a company that hasn't had a competitive edge since 2005. They are trying to hurt Intel in a big way and are totally poised to do so.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Threadripper is so bad it's good.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

threadripper is a cool name for a sewing machine, its dumb for a $1000 computer chip. sounds like somethin a dude with those huge plastic dragon computer cases would have

Maybe a nickname for a sewing machine that's absolutely terrible at sewing but great at accidentally ruining your work. Threadripper for the CPU actually makes some sense since you're getting a poo poo load of threads to play with.

I think it's a good thing that AMD didn't call this the Ryzen R9 or some other bullshit. A little bit of creativity in naming is just fine.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
two words: coffee lake

threadripper is god-tier compared to that code name

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I much prefer Ryzen, Threadripper, and EPYC over "7th Generation Intel yawnzzzzz..."

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

"Threadripper"' is a loving awesome name and anyone who says otherwise is objectively wrong.

It's like the Assmann Corporation of America.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I really think they should just be re-using the old names that people remember well. Athlon. Opteron. But what do I know.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

I really think they should just be re-using the old names that people remember well. Athlon. Opteron. But what do I know.

not til the runt bins for ryzen mobile show up

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

SourKraut posted:

"Threadripper"' is a loving awesome name and anyone who says otherwise is objectively wrong.

It's like the Assmann Corporation of America.

:agreed:

Ryzen and especially Epyc are pretty bad, but Threadripper is so cheesy it's awesome. I'm old and remember 'Pentium' being a new thing, and it sounded pretty terrible until people got used to it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

JnnyThndrs posted:

:agreed:

Ryzen and especially Epyc are pretty bad, but Threadripper is so cheesy it's awesome. I'm old and remember 'Pentium' being a new thing, and it sounded pretty terrible until people got used to it.

I was looking at some computer parts with my dad about a year ago and when he saw the Pentium name he was really surprised that Intel would still be selling such an old chip

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

"Zen" was nice, but "Ryzen" is just silly. "Threadripper" is confusing as 'ripper' implies destruction, which I'd associate with negativity. Epyc is just silly.

If it were up to me, I'd have gone with "Zen", "Zen Plus" and "Zen Pro" but apparently AMD prefers the marketing companies that brand protein powders.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Ryzen is a lot easier to search than Zen, since it's not a real word

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm just hoping the XTREME naming works for them, and they keep it up in future.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Maybe that's why Vega sucks so much, needs a more aggressive name.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I just think of that dude from Streetfighter 2.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Someone who actually watched the AMD presentations, is it supposed to be pronounced 'rye zen' or 'risen'? I can honestly see it going either way, especially if the former implies they found peace via alcohol.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They kept on flogging that Zen was supposed to be a "new horizon" for AMD

So, somewhere between the two, I guess.

eames
May 9, 2009

Looks like Ryzen really likes RAM speed for :pcgaming: loads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZS2XHcQdqA&t=128s

Not the most reputable source but anandtech posters seem to back this up, increased infinity fabric speed (= higher RAM speed) increases Zen draw call performance *a lot*, so much so that a 4 Ghz/3600 Mhz CL16 Ryzen system suddenly becomes competitive compared to a 5 Ghz 7700K.
If AMD can address this with Zen+ things are looking pretty good.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

isndl posted:

Someone who actually watched the AMD presentations, is it supposed to be pronounced 'rye zen' or 'risen'? I can honestly see it going either way, especially if the former implies they found peace via alcohol.

Considering it's 'Zen' and how 'Ry' is usually pronounced, there's only really one pronunciation that makes sense, 'rye zen'. Unless you've got a really bad accent, I suppose.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Measly Twerp posted:

Considering it's 'Zen' and how 'Ry' is usually pronounced, there's only really one pronunciation that makes sense, 'rye zen'. Unless you've got a really bad accent, I suppose.
Ryzen can easily be seen as marketing spelling for risen, though

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't stop thinking of Altered Beast whenever people mention Ryzen.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wyze fwom your gwave! (I had the Sega version)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They pronounce it RyeZen in their videos.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PerrineClostermann posted:

They pronounce it RyeZen in their videos.

Ha, no poo poo?

The mental image of a Buddha bread load is going to stick.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Rastor posted:

Here's a Gigabyte mini-ITX board for the AMD Ryzen socket AM4 platfrom

missed a step

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rastor posted:

Here's a Gigabyte mini-ITX board for the AMD Ryzen socket AM4 platfrom

now one for THREADRIPPER.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

wargames posted:

I hope your happy, a PCB layout expert just killed themselves over this.

Mark David Chapman
Jul 25, 2011

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

lmao...in all this time I never noticed that the 'paste' is being applied to the socket

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

wargames posted:

Is this even physically possible? Would they have to like, do some weird poo poo with SODIMMs and put VRMs on the backside of the PCB?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

Is this even physically possible? Would they have to like, do some weird poo poo with SODIMMs and put VRMs on the backside of the PCB?

I bet they could manage it if it used a heat pipe cooler that pulled the radiator higher off the board to allow DIMMs to fit underneath. Would still be an absurdly thick board. It's not that different from what the server OEMs pull off with their blade architectures.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

eames
May 9, 2009

some say he found a job at the Intel HEDT assembly line after MSI fired him for this video

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So THAT's the guy who did the wrong measurements on the inside depth of the heatspreader and didn't account for the adhesive's thickness, then?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

wargames posted:

Measly Twerp posted:

I hope your happy, a PCB layout expert just killed themselves over this.

Certainly an engineering challenge. Just the Socket TR4, IO Shield, PCIe socket, and RAM sockets on the top, every other component on the back?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Rastor posted:

Certainly an engineering challenge. Just the Socket TR4, IO Shield, PCIe socket, and RAM sockets on the top, every other component on the back?

Or; mount the CPU on a separate PCB and then mount that PCB into a slot on the motherboard.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Measly Twerp posted:

Or; mount the CPU on a separate PCB and then mount that PCB into a slot on the motherboard.

Ooh, that's a good one. What kind of connector can you trust between those two boards, though?
Also you'd need to be specific about which coolers will be supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Intel already has you covered