Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Sagebrush posted:

Don't change your extrusion multiplier to alter part dimensions -- that is designed for tweaking flow rate when you don't have precisely measured filament diameter/extruder gearing. Dropping it down significantly (10% is a lot) may shrink the outer edges of the part because there literally isn't enough plastic to squeeze out to the intended width, but the fundamental problem is that the positioning code isn't properly accounting for the actual width of the trace that's being put down.

So if your parts aren't fitting in X and Y dimensions, look at your trace widths; if they aren't fitting in Z, check your z-system accuracy and improve part cooling.

Or just print a test part and then make adjustments to the next print accordingly. I use 0.5mm of tolerance between printed parts for a slip-fit, 0.2mm for a jam-fit.

Or break out the files and sandpaper. Nothing elbow grease can't fix.

The Z looks fine, it's X/Y that seems to be giving me fits.

When you talk about adjustments, you mean something like 'horizontal size compensation' in Simplify3D? I get how I can use this to shrink a part with a male end, or grow a part with female, but if the part itself is both male and female, then this won't fix anything, right? The male grows, but the female grows with it, and I'm stuck with the same problem. Besides that, if I do compensate for male-only parts, leave female alone, then I get a fit, but now my male parts are just slightly smaller than the female.

I've been sanding, but it's not something I want to have to do, especially if it affects the finish of the part itself. Also, some of these fits are small, and even with tools, it is difficult to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
If the parts not too huge or complex, you could always import it to tinkercad, and shave a bit of the model there as needed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No I mean like modify the part itself. Instead of making the hole 3mm exactly, make it 3.2mm in diameter, so that the 3mm rod fits inside. And maybe you modify the 3mm rod and make it 2.9mm around instead, too.

In any sort of product design, the idealized CAD model nearly always needs to be adjusted to compensate for realities of the manufacturing process -- adding draft to an injection-molded part, oversizing the part to allow for contraction, etc.

If you're not modeling the parts yourself, and they were not designed appropriately for the kind of tolerances that an average desktop printer can hold, then the proper thing is to print the parts as accurately as you can (i.e. don't gently caress with them, if most of the dimensions are coming out correct) and then modify the mechanical surfaces as required (sanding, filing, drilling).

It would help to know what you're trying to make, specifically. Desktop 3D printing is not going to get you a usable bearing surface, for instance, but it's totally appropriate to undersize the hole slightly, print it with a thicker wall, and bore the hole out to the proper diameter with a drill bit.

I'm always telling my students that 3D printing is just one step in a modeling process -- it doesn't end when you pull it off the machine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reading your post again: also, I didn't recommend adjusting the X/Y compensation, I suggested looking at the trace widths. The issue is that the printer thinks it's putting down N width of plastic with every line, but it's actually putting down N*F width of plastic where F = 0.8~1.2 or something. The g-code will be generated as if each line is N mm wide, which means that when the trace goes down and the plastic spreads to N*F mm wide, it's not in the right place. Make sense?

e: like this. Remember that the trace width is not the nozzle diameter!

The software knows the nozzle size, and therefore the rough diameter of the filament trace, but the exact trace width is a very complicated thing to calculate because it depends on microscopic fluid dynamics and dozens of print factors that affect how far the plastic spreads as it's being extruded. So it's better to just determine it empirically and then program that in.

So I don't know how to do it in Simplify3D, but here's the relevant page in Slic3r:

Those widths can be tweaked to better match your printer's actual trace width, after the plastic's compression/expansion/bonding/cooling cycle. The extrusion multiplier is a band-aid that tries to sort of compensate for improper trace logic, in my opinion; I've never actually changed it on my machines.

HOWEVER -- this still won't necessarily get you perfection! Desktop FDM printers are not going to be able to hold .001" tolerances, which is the sort of range you need for a nice airtight interference fit. If you want that, you have to use another process, and chasing it on the printer is a fool's errand.

X/Y compensation, incidentally, is really meant for machines with poor calibration, where you tell the head to move 100mm and it actually moves 102mm or whatever. That in turn should be dealt with either in the machine firmware, or (better) by fixing the mechanical issue that's causing it in the first place.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 26, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The general rule of thumb I've read for 3d printed assembly parts is that you design/model with 0.5mm clearance between any mating parts, and if the parts do not fit together after that then there's something wrong with your print settings.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sagebrush posted:

Don't change your extrusion multiplier to alter part dimensions -- that is designed for tweaking flow rate when you don't have precisely measured filament diameter/extruder gearing. Dropping it down significantly (10% is a lot) may shrink the outer edges of the part because there literally isn't enough plastic to squeeze out to the intended width, but the fundamental problem is that the positioning code isn't properly accounting for the actual width of the trace that's being put down.

So if your parts aren't fitting in X and Y dimensions, look at your trace widths; if they aren't fitting in Z, check your z-system accuracy and improve part cooling.

Or just print a test part and then make adjustments to the next print accordingly. I use 0.5mm of tolerance between printed parts for a slip-fit, 0.2mm for a jam-fit.

Or break out the files and sandpaper. Nothing elbow grease can't fix.

Also to bring up is that Slic3r has a function to either increase or decrease size the fully internal perimeters (ie holes) while leaving the outside perimeters alone.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Figured this would be the best place to ask... Does anyone have any experience with 2D plotters? The only thing I've found is the MakeBlock. Has anyone worked with that? Or has anyone purchased parts and assembled their own?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
You mean an actual printer?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

You mean an actual printer?

A printer is a type of 2D plotter. I'm not looking for an actual printer.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Modern plotters are giant inkjets. I replaced the belt in our HP last year after it snapped. Pen plotters haven't been made in at least 20 years but I bet you can still find them. Some of our older customers still preferred them to ink cartridge-based ones.

I don't know what other kind of 2D plotter you mean other than the string based ones or putting a pen on a robot or fixed gantry+X/Y bed.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I think Obsurveyor is right, I haven't seen a pen plotter in years for business use. Everyone seems to have ultra-wide-format inkjets. http://www.makeblock.com/xy-plotter-robot-kit/ is what you were looking at right? What is your application/use case? I could see the plotter being neat from an art standpoint if you could do things like use a brush pen and alter pressure on the fly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure very few people build their own strictly 2D plotter any more (though there was that one group of kids that did it for a project back in 2011).

http://www.instructables.com/id/X-Y-Plotter/

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
There is also this project if you already have a 3d printer.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2369089

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just a reminder that the Monoprice Mini Delta "preorder" period is ending in 4 days if you are interested in it.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/monoprice-mini-delta-affordable-starter-3d-printer#/

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

huhu posted:

Figured this would be the best place to ask... Does anyone have any experience with 2D plotters? The only thing I've found is the MakeBlock. Has anyone worked with that? Or has anyone purchased parts and assembled their own?

You'd probably want the cnc thread tbh. but there are a lot of projects for the hanging kind if you'd like to get a lot of surface area, cheap, traditional ones on thingiverse as mentioned above, cheapo kits like the eleksdraw (for the love of god just sell off the diode laser attachment. also the non pro is mostly acrylic so buyer beware). Axidraw and Tooli g2 if you want to get buck wild

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
An update image of my Monoprice i3 and the modifications to it.

Edit:

I really need to vacuum up the random bits scattered everywhere.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Edit:

What's your build plate surface? I just printed the Z braces and installed a new aluminum Y carriage on mine, but I'm still having issues getting the whole thing level all around with a glass plate. I was eyeballing that all metal Z brace kit since I'm not a huge fan of 5" of allthread towering over the machine but I do like the extra stability.

In other news, my research in the OctoPrint issues I was having leads me to believe that I just need to ditch the auto reset jumper on the board, so I'm going to try that this weekend when I open up the controller box to do the mosfet upgrade, then I need to find something over 8 hours to print for a stress test. But I don't have anything in my queue that should take that long since I finished the Z brace mod.. any suggestions?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ickna posted:

What's your build plate surface? I just printed the Z braces and installed a new aluminum Y carriage on mine, but I'm still having issues getting the whole thing level all around with a glass plate. I was eyeballing that all metal Z brace kit since I'm not a huge fan of 5" of allthread towering over the machine but I do like the extra stability.

In other news, my research in the OctoPrint issues I was having leads me to believe that I just need to ditch the auto reset jumper on the board, so I'm going to try that this weekend when I open up the controller box to do the mosfet upgrade, then I need to find something over 8 hours to print for a stress test. But I don't have anything in my queue that should take that long since I finished the Z brace mod.. any suggestions?

Replacement parts? I'm printing a big 15 hour self watering planter in PETG now. Two kobayashi cubes should take like eight hours.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ickna posted:

What's your build plate surface?

http://www.lokbuild.com/

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it "ultimate" yet. It's tougher than buildtak, but not as tough as PEI, with similar print adhesion characteristics to PEI (just more flexible/easier to install than PEI).

PETG will stick like a mother fucker though, I had to lower my Z-plate .15mm in order to get it so that PETG would properly release when a print was done without having to pry with a scraper and potentially damage the surface (right now I just grab and lift on what I print and it pops off).

The first layers always look like they might slide off as it is put down, but drat if it doesn't stick throughout the print.

quote:

I just printed the Z braces and installed a new aluminum Y carriage on mine, but I'm still having issues getting the whole thing level all around with a glass plate. I was eyeballing that all metal Z brace kit since I'm not a huge fan of 5" of allthread towering over the machine but I do like the extra stability.

I had a printed Z-brace before, this all-metal is far sturdier. As in, I can pick the printer up by one of the rods and nothing flexes after getting everything squared off and locked down.

quote:

Depending on how old yours is, the jumper may not be there (my current printer came with it already removed). For Octopi I just had to change the communication timeout setting to be long and uncheck some option about constantly asking for updates from the machine.

As far as long prints go, if you have the material give this thing a try (rescaled to fit inside the build area):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:854890

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Edit:

Oh, are we posting images about our printer upgrades? Check out my sick upgrades:

Almost done printing the extended filament holder so I can use my trashcan again

Next-day fake edit: Broke the holder like a dumbass trying to see how tough it was. Looks like: Not very!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bbcisdabomb posted:

Oh, are we posting images about our printer upgrades? Check out my sick upgrades:

Almost done printing the extended filament holder so I can use my trashcan again

Next-day fake edit: Broke the holder like a dumbass trying to see how tough it was. Looks like: Not very!

What is happening in this picture?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goons.jpg

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

tuyop posted:

What is happening in this picture?

It's an improvised filament holder using a trash can and some PVC pipe. I was printing a new spool holder because the included one was too short. It looks like a mess because a: the mantle in my basement is the only level spot in my house and b: my entire basement is a mess that I'm slowly cleaning and organizing.

I mainly just posted the picture because biracial bear's printer and space looked so nice I thought posting my slapdash temporary setup would be silly.

Also this.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Speaking of modifications... What are the goto prusa silencing hacks? Replace the x/y bearings with those solid teflon ones and the extruder cooler fan with a noctua 40mm?

The printer is moving into a much smaller space this fall and I need it to be pretty much silent.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 30, 2017

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

tuyop posted:

Speaking of modifications... What are the goto prusa silencing hacks? Replace the x/y bearings with those solid teflon ones and the extruder cooler fan with a noctua 40mm?

The printer is moving into a much smaller space this fall and I need it to be pretty much silent.

I've been in this quest since receiving mine and the best thing I did was print these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1707045

They cut 90% of the noise immediately, and let me print all night with the printer in the next room.

I installed drylin bearings when I installed the MK2S upgrade kit and it's a little quieter but not as marked as the feet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Those feet didn't do anything for me, but I bought some adhesive sorbothane pads and they're incredible.

The main source of noise seems to be y axis bearings and the little fan at this point.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I put mine on a chunk of 1" steel plate. Isolates the vibrations nicely.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
So here is something a little different.

I like these rubber mats to secure things on the dash of a vehicle but flexible filament is a pain in the rear end.

So I decided to do it the other way round.

Part designed in solidworks

Mold halves

3d printed tooling smoothed with acetone slightly.

First pull from the mold

Finished product

Oh and remember how a design I made is being injection molded. 5000 of them are in transit. It came out looking great.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Awesome, what's that for?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Looks like an enclosure for RC drone/plane electronics, based on the logo.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

tuyop posted:

Awesome, what's that for?

The enclosure is for a raspberry pi based ADS-B receiver that is used on board aircraft to get weather and traffic data for display on electronic flight bag software.

The rubber bit is to keep it from sliding around on the dash.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072ND582W/

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

helno posted:

So here is something a little different.

I like these rubber mats to secure things on the dash of a vehicle but flexible filament is a pain in the rear end.

So I decided to do it the other way round.

Part designed in solidworks

Mold halves

3d printed tooling smoothed with acetone slightly.

First pull from the mold

Finished product

Oh and remember how a design I made is being injection molded. 5000 of them are in transit. It came out looking great.

You mind posting the prices for your molds because I was considering going into a run for a mini figure holder design I made but came back with a four figure number for the mold price.

It had an internal screw design which I think would have made it more complicated

helno
Jun 19, 2003

EVIL Gibson posted:

You mind posting the prices for your molds because I was considering going into a run for a mini figure holder design I made but came back with a four figure number for the mold price.

It had an internal screw design which I think would have made it more complicated

The tooling cost was $3500 USD.

They give you a firm tooling price based on your model and a 3d printed version. You have to pay half up front to get them to edit the part to work for molding and then the second half after you have tested the revised model to be sure it will still work with the required changes. You then pay the second half to get the tooling made and then after that it is priced per part and they have minimum order quantities.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

helno posted:

The tooling cost was $3500 USD.

They give you a firm tooling price based on your model and a 3d printed version. You have to pay half up front to get them to edit the part to work for molding and then the second half after you have tested the revised model to be sure it will still work with the required changes. You then pay the second half to get the tooling made and then after that it is priced per part and they have minimum order quantities.

Yep. That's that I was getting. Interesting how the price didn't really change at all compared to yours since I would imagine the internal screw thread would cause all sorts of issues on extracting the pieces.

The person I was consulting with did all the production research before running a successful Kickstarter (which, turns out, people that don't do that usually are super late with the deliveries) and told me the estimate but did say rapid prototyping via 3d printing would have been amazing while developing the pieces.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

So this model originally used wood screws to hold it together.

We could have done the same thing but the molding company suggested molded in brass inserts. That is the better way to do internal treads.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Are you able to divulge more specific info like the vendor, minimum order quantity and price per piece? (ballpark figures work too)

I've designed a couple containerish parts for vacuum forming, but depending on minimum order and cost per piece, injection molding doesn't seem as super cost prohibitive as I had assumed.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

MOQs are 1-2000 depending on the part seems to be tied to the volume of material.

Prices are in the range of $1-2 landed. Price there depends on product size and required packaging.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Also those tooling costs are pretty cheap. Some of the projects at work end up costing 10k to 100k+

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Did my first print in Atomic's PETG.

The first try gave me a thermal runaway error at about 2% in. So after some digging I set the fan settings a bit differently in the Prusa Slicer. The underside turned out kind of funky but I think it's because I minimized the amount of support material. I'm pleased with how easy it came off the bed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Luminaflare posted:

Also those tooling costs are pretty cheap. Some of the projects at work end up costing 10k to 100k+

There's a lot of small IM tooling/prototyping popping up in the last few years, they're happy to do all sorts of quantities and deal direct with hobbyists, it's great if you've the balls to reach out and kick your idea into reality. Costs are usually realistic as their bread and butter are small runs.