Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

humpthewind posted:

Do you think that three years from now they are going to be worried about Frazier if he is still in AAA? If he is still there, something has gone wrong with his development

He seems like the kind of guy that may use one, maybe two, options.

Bigger issue is that there's already a big 40-man crunch coming, I guess "start the clock" was the wrong term in this case.

I just don't see them doing it for a non-everyday spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Victor Cruz tore the same tendon in October and was back in training camp the next summer. Then injured his calf and was out another year, but he came back from that and is still playing.

He was also just released because he's bad now

An achilles tear is also how Kobe Bryant's career basically ended

e: ugh, patella not achilles. so nevermind Kobe. But yeah for the most part in football at least patella tears are the end of a career

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 30, 2017

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Inspector_666 posted:

Bigger issue is that there's already a big 40-man crunch coming, I guess "start the clock" was the wrong term in this case.

I just don't see them doing it for a non-everyday spot.

Okay fair enough. I agree with this. The 40 man needs some contacts to expire or be moved to make bringing up Frazier palatable

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

He was also just released because he's bad now

An achilles tear is also how Kobe Bryant's career basically ended

Football and basketball require a lot more lateral movement than baseball, though. Did Cruz lose a ton of straight-line speed?

It sucks, but I don't think it dooms Fowler, although he is/was definitely a speed-tool player.

EDIT: Apparently Cruz did lose a lot of straight-line speed so who knows everything is terrible.

humpthewind posted:

Okay fair enough. I agree with this. The 40 man needs some contacts to expire or be moved to make bringing up Frazier palatable

Yeah, Fowler and Wade were going to need to be added this winter anyway, but Torres will need a spot, along with several other guys they absolutely do not want to just give away in the Rule 5 draft. (Here's the full list if you're interested.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 30, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Football and basketball require a lot more lateral movement than baseball, though. Did Cruz lose a ton of straight-line speed?

It sucks, but I don't think it dooms Fowler, although he is/was definitely a speed-tool player.

Well I mixed up injuries in general anyway so eh.

But yeah I have no idea how a torn patella would affect a baseball player but in football the number of players who've come back to match their previous production is very rare

One of my football team's most important players tore both patella on the same play last season :ohdear:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Poor kid :(

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
It's really devastating. He was trying his damnedest to catch that ball and now won't get an at bat this year. The world is cruel

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
In good and cool Yankees news, the White Sox just IBB'd Aaron Judge with nobody on base and 2 outs because he is the second coming of Ser Barrold.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Inspector_666 posted:

In good and cool Yankees news, the White Sox just IBB'd Aaron Judge with nobody on base and 2 outs because he is the second coming of Ser Barrold.

Please don't put our big boy in the field anymore, I couldn't handle seeing him get hurt

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Der Meister posted:

did they say open repair? that just describes the surgical approach. an open rupture does imply that there was a break in the skin, potentially the patella reached escaped velocity after being untethered from the tibia.

All the twitter reports say open rupture. Also they say they're doing the surgery tonight, which I feel like I've heard that they only do that when it's open to close it up as soon as possible to prevent infection, is that right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Inspector_666 posted:

I just looked at this game and saw the lineup.

Should I ask why Judge is batting 2nd and Gregorious is batting 3rd? Or is the answer just "Girardi?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Girardi seems to be going with the "get your best bats the most ABs" theory of lineup crafting, hence Judge at 2nd. And Didi's hot. And the like half the lineup are rookies or bench players.

I'm not sure the Yankees have had the same lineup in back to back games in weeks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Girardi seems to be going with the "get your best bats the most ABs" theory of lineup crafting, hence Judge at 2nd and Sanchez at 3rd. And Didi's hot. And the like half the lineup are rookies or bench players.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. He's really throwing lineups at the wall to see what sticks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Wouldn't that require IBBing him with the bases loaded

Some Numbers posted:

I just looked at this game and saw the lineup.

Should I ask why Judge is batting 2nd and Gregorious is batting 3rd? Or is the answer just "Girardi?"

Because he gets more ABs over the course of the season that way?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Troxartas posted:

All the twitter reports say open rupture. Also they say they're doing the surgery tonight, which I feel like I've heard that they only do that when it's open to close it up as soon as possible to prevent infection, is that right?

Basically yes. Irrigate the gently caress out of the wound to prevent infection and before it gets inflamed and ugly, and repair the tendon before it gets infected, inflamed and ugly.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Here's a video of Orel Hershiser rapping along to Eminem in a car

https://twitter.com/Joe_Davis/status/880675252971372544

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Girardi said in the postgame that it was an unpadded electrical box that Fowler slammed into and tore his knee open on.

https://twitter.com/pcaldera/status...formance-thread

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Baseball is a stupid sport and I never liked it.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Niwrad posted:

gently caress! Fowler is the coolest person to ever wear a Cardinals uniform.

Edit: Oh gently caress me you're talking about Dustin.

Popping in to say that no, Curt Flood was cooler. I will not rest until everyone has read "A Well-Paid Slave" and "The Way it Is".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Girardi said in the postgame that it was an unpadded electrical box that Fowler slammed into and tore his knee open on.

Are you loving kidding me? There isn't even netting there?

What the gently caress are the White Sox doing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Jerry Reinsdorf probably figured he could save $30.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

Girardi seems to be going with the "get your best bats the most ABs" theory of lineup crafting, hence Judge at 2nd. And Didi's hot. And the like half the lineup are rookies or bench players.

I'm not sure the Yankees have had the same lineup in back to back games in weeks.

Not batting Judge and Sanchez back to back is the height of stupidity.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

Home field advantage.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

Kershaw has zero time for all of your "Is Kershaw no longer the best pitcher in baseball?" columns.

7 IP, 0 ER, 2 BB, 12 K tonight.

He is well on his way to greatest lefty ever.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dwyane Wade isn't hoing to buy out himself, Reinsdorf can't sell his baseball picks

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

ihatepants posted:

Oh come the gently caress on. Seriously? Ugh. So awful.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I hate myself after last night so I just spent five minutes listening to Colin Cowherd tell me the real reason for the home run spike and how the idea the ball has changed is ridiculous and I hope Fox Sports 1 dies and he falls off a cliff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Marlins are close to a decision on the sale of the team, as both bidders have gotten just under the $1.3 bil price tag. It's not going to sell for $1.3 bil but it will be just under that. A decision is likely by the end of July at the latest. I think as soon as the ASG stuff is over and behind us it will be announced.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/06/marlins-reportedly-nearing-decision-on-sale-of-team.html

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I hate myself after last night so I just spent five minutes listening to Colin Cowherd tell me the real reason for the home run spike and how the idea the ball has changed is ridiculous and I hope Fox Sports 1 dies and he falls off a cliff.

I'm sure you're well aware but your first mistake was listening to Colin Cowherd at all

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I'm sure you're well aware but your first mistake was listening to Colin Cowherd at all

I had a deep, morbid curiosity about this specific video after seeing a thumbnail the other day. It's ridiculously clear he didn't read or listen to any of the people doing the juiced ball research and :argh:

Cowherd fascinates me, honestly, because he seems so shameless about how he knows nothing and just wants to rile people up. He literally played himself on that show Pitch and every clip was him going "A WOMAN CAN'T PLAY BASEBALL I MEAN COME ON PEOPLE!"

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 30, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I had a deep, morbid curiosity about this specific video after seeing a thumbnail the other day. It's ridiculously clear he didn't read or listen to any of the people doing the juiced ball research and :argh:

Cowherd fascinates me, honestly, because he seems so shameless about how he knows nothing and just wants to rile people up. He literally played himself on that show Pitch and every clip was him going "A WOMAN CAN'T PLAY BASEBALL I MEAN COME ON PEOPLE!"

You're literally listening to sports Alex Jones

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I will literally never listen to a word Cowherd says after the Sean Taylor thing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol at listening to any sports talk show ever. it's all just men with no original ideas shouting their very important sports opinions at each other. the only good sports show is garbage time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

lol at listening to any sports talk show ever. it's all just men with no original ideas shouting their very important sports opinions at each other. the only good sports show is garbage time.

The discussion was about sport talk shows not SAS.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

The discussion was about sport talk shows not SAS.

I have many original ideas such as the hot dogs being sandwiches

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intruder posted:

I have many original ideas such as the hot dogs being sandwiches

skip: I'm just going to have to take a stand here. you are absolutely wrong. HOT. DOGS. ARE. NOT. SANDWICHES.
shannon: *shaking head* skip, I just don't know how you can't see this. It's clear to everyone in the hot dog community.
skip: *stares adamantly at camera* THEY'RE ALL WRONG

*UNDISPUTED logo swooshes up, commercial for speedstick begins*

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I have no idea why my post has that extraneous "the" in it

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cis autodrag posted:

skip: I'm just going to have to take a stand here. you are absolutely wrong. HOT. DOGS. ARE. NOT. SANDWICHES.
shannon: *shaking head* skip, I just don't know how you can't see this. It's clear to everyone in the hot dog community.
skip: *stares adamantly at camera* THEY'RE ALL WRONG

*UNDISPUTED logo swooshes up, commercial for speedstick begins*

cis autodrag I want to address this issue...

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Intruder posted:

I have no idea why my post has that extraneous "the" in it

You're just very adamant about the hot dog issue so you feel the need to emphasize hot dog with "the".

"The" Ohio State
"The" U
"The" Hot Dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

cis autodrag I want to address this issue...

ive thought about starting a "do sports shows but about mundane topics" thread a few times but honestly i've watched about 45 minutes of that stuff in the last 2 years (basically when my father in law has it on) so i don't have enough material to sustain it.

• Locked thread