Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You should see Floyd work the bags, he puts in like half the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm getting flashbacks to CM Punk's hilariously bad scrims

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://gfycat.com/WildPopularFoxhound

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
youd have to be retarded to compare conor to cm punk or ronda rousey

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Skip My Posts posted:

Watching Punk and Conor's sparring footage gives me similar "holy poo poo this person is in WAY over their head" vibes

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Skip My Posts posted:

man conor / floyd in a boxing match is way more of a mismatch than cm punk and mickey gall in mma. it's hard to verbalise how much of a competitive fight this is not.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is going to be bad. Like, really loving bad. I'm still going to watch because how can you not tune in to see Conor get absolutely wrecked?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

man conor / floyd in a boxing match is way more of a mismatch than cm punk and mickey gall in mma. it's hard to verbalise how much of a competitive fight this is not.

you might be right but at least conor can legitimately fight well in general

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

you might be right but at least conor can legitimately fight well in general

I don't know, Conor beats up a lot of midgets. Rousey beat up Soccer moms. Can either be said to have the high ground here?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Yeah, Conor.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I punch harder than conor but then I have to sit down and catch my breath

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Marching Powder posted:

Punk looked like he was bad at a sport Gall was good it, but they were clearly at least both guys competing at the same level of the same sport. Conor vs Mayweather is like if Punk had tried to fight Anderson Silva in his matrix days using pro wrestling moves

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I punch harder than conor but then I have to sit down and catch my breath

That's okay, so does Conor.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
mayweather should just dodge him the entire fight and push him over homer simpson style when he can't move any more

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Punk looked like he was bad at a sport Gall was good it, but they were clearly at least both guys competing at the same level of the same sport.

I'm not sure what in that fight makes you think Punk is anywhere even close to the same level. He did basically nothing except poorly defend some grappling for a few minutes.

I agree that Conor will almost certainly get absolutely clowned by Mayweather though.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/Marcstein0/status/880547766178467840

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

drat mayweather does not seem to have aged the requisite 3 decades in the last 2 years

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

conor is just lulling floyd into a false sense of security

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Soothing Vapors posted:

conor is just lulling floyd into a false sense of security

that will go well his actual sense of security

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I just want to see gratuitous fouling from both parties.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Conor is preparing for Floyd's speed by standing in a kiddie pool full of vanilla pudding while he trains

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
conor is bringing in paule malignaggi to be a sparring partner and speaking coach

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Samuel L Jackson has already starred in the movie where the dominant black champion faces some irish dude who doesn't belong in the ring with him and america convinces itself that the irish dude stands a chance

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

Samuel L Jackson has already starred in the movie where the dominant black champion faces some irish dude who doesn't belong in the ring with him and america convinces itself that the irish dude stands a chance

star wars episode 1: the phantom menace

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Skip My Posts posted:

lol

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Skip My Posts posted:

:vince:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

just you wait, mcgregor will enter the hyperbolic time chamber and emerge with the ability to keep his hands up

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Skip My Posts posted:

:wow:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Y'all gonna be really shocked when Floyd kicks Conor in the dick as soon as the bell rings and takes a victory lap around the ring.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I always hear the arguments that Conor is bigger or southpaw or that he hits hard… and it’s true.
But I don’t think these are his best weapons. At all.

I understand Conor might be anoying to some, but he’s undeniably also an unusually smart dude.
He’s whitty, and funny. A sniper. And that’s how he beat a lot of dudes before even fighting, and how he became a huge star.
He is well surrounded, first of all by John Kavanagh who is also an incredibly smart dude, and there is such a good positive vibe in the air around these people, but that’s another story.

Conor is supremely confident in his abilities to execute, he shines particularly in situations of extreme adversity, and always come with good game plans.
He’s a machine at seizing the moment and performing to accomplish his goals with fluidity, and no hesitation.
His focus is what gives him an incredible sense of timing.
He is a beast at mastering his fears (and negative feelings) by being inspired with incredible ideas/points of view (that the whole web wants to hear BTW).
I think these are quite nice qualities that none of his opponents seemed to see or anticipate so far. They usually just say he’s a good talker. No bro, he’s a good thinker (tinker some might say).
Let’s face it, Conor is SUCH an unusual dude psychologically.
The simple fact he got the impossible deal done is just another irrational, amazing accomplishment, and I’m not even talking about the fact it went as smooth and as fast… simply mind blowing.

Anyone remembers when Conor was in that pre-fight training session, on a basketball court?…
After training he did ONE free throw. All eyes watching, with a stupid bad technique, the ball went in… foof!
Or when he destroyed a UFC video game champion, twice in a row (with his eyes open in disbelief)?
This is the kind of guys we are talking about. A guy with massive balls who, even though everyone doubts him, seems to be able to make the most ambitious decisions towards success in the most stressful situations for anyone else, relaxed as fook.
He just owns the present time like very few people do. And because it does not make sense in a mathematical way, no one, especially in boxing, seems to take that into consideration.

The power of the mind. Extreme ambition, positivity, visualisation, mastering his obsessions… I think this is the best weapon of Conor McGregor. You can feel it when he talks, and as we heard in the MMA hour with his coach last week, everyone around him believes he is going to win. We can feel they really do.
Even Dana, who doubted him in the past, now says in interviews :"I don’t want to question him anymore".
Why??? Well he says it himself! That’s because when he talks to him a little, he starts to believe it too… even though it does not make any sense what so ever in his experienced mind.
Remember when Conor wanted to make a $3M bet with him for beating Mendez before round 3 in a late replacement fight? Dana’s a poker player, a pretty good one at that, born in Vegas and all. Even then, although at the time it looked like an impossible task, he smiled… but did not bet.

So guys, no, it does not make sense, but not everything does in fighting. And like most of you, I know Floyd is by FAR the best boxer, but the best guys are not always the ones who win, that’s why the ‘upset’ word exists.

Just like you, I don’t know who’s gonna win allright, but I do think the fact Conor is incredibly smart is the very reason everyone is so excited, and I’m sick of not hearing about it when people talk about his chances.

To me intelligence is as dangerous as solid fundamentals, and Conor is smarter that Floyd, just like Conor’s people are smarter than Floyd’s people, and just like the whole MMA world is smarter than the boxing world.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

I always hear the arguments that Conor is bigger or southpaw or that he hits hard… and it’s true.

I understand Conor might be anoying to some, but he’s undeniably also an unusually smart dude.
He’s whitty, and funny. A sniper. And that’s how he beat a lot of dudes before even fighting, and how he became a huge star.
He is well surrounded, first of all by John Kavanagh who is also an incredibly smart dude, and there is such a good positive vibe in the air around these people, but that’s another story.

Conor is supremely confident in his abilities to execute, he shines particularly in situations of extreme adversity, and always come with good game plans.
He’s a machine at seizing the moment and performing to accomplish his goals with fluidity, and no hesitation.
He is a beast at mastering his fears (and negative feelings) by being inspired with incredible ideas/points of view (that the whole web wants to hear BTW).
I think these are quite nice qualities that none of his opponents seemed to see or anticipate so far. They usually just say he’s a good talker. No bro, he’s a good thinker (tinker some might say).
The simple fact he got the impossible deal done is just another irrational, amazing accomplishment, and I’m not even talking about the fact it went as smooth and as fast… simply mind blowing.

Anyone remembers when Conor was in that pre-fight training session, on a basketball court?…
After training he did ONE free throw. All eyes watching, with a stupid bad technique, the ball went in… foof!
Or when he destroyed a UFC video game champion, twice in a row (with his eyes open in disbelief)?
This is the kind of guys we are talking about. A guy with massive balls who, even though everyone doubts him, seems to be able to make the most ambitious decisions towards success in the most stressful situations for anyone else, relaxed as fook.
He just owns the present time like very few people do. And because it does not make sense in a mathematical way, no one, especially in boxing, seems to take that into consideration.

The power of the mind. Extreme ambition, positivity, visualisation, mastering his obsessions… I think this is the best weapon of Conor McGregor. You can feel it when he talks, and as we heard in the MMA hour with his coach last week, everyone around him believes he is going to win. We can feel they really do.
Even Dana, who doubted him in the past, now says in interviews :"I don’t want to question him anymore".
Why??? Well he says it himself! That’s because when he talks to him a little, he starts to believe it too… even though it does not make any sense what so ever in his experienced mind.
Remember when Conor wanted to make a $3M bet with him for beating Mendez before round 3 in a late replacement fight? Dana’s a poker player, a pretty good one at that, born in Vegas and all. Even then, although at the time it looked like an impossible task, he smiled… but did not bet.

So guys, no, it does not make sense, but not everything does in fighting. And like most of you, I know Floyd is by FAR the best boxer, but the best guys are not always the ones who win, that’s why the ‘upset’ word exists.

Just like you, I don’t know who’s gonna win allright, but I do think the fact Conor is incredibly smart is the very reason everyone is so excited, and I’m sick of not hearing about it when people talk about his chances.

To me intelligence is as dangerous as solid fundamentals, and Conor is smarter that Floyd, just like Conor’s people are smarter than Floyd’s people, and just like the whole MMA world is smarter than the boxing world.

Lol who wrote this?

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Marching Powder posted:

Lol who wrote this?

Ya, source your quotes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

Lol who wrote this?

So glad Fedor fan guy found a new star to latch onto.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I can't believe I'm gonna lay this much money for a fight with such a foregone conclusion Jesus Christ

I really need to bet on mayweather against all these morons

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Conor is such a good thinker that he was outsmarted by Nate Diaz.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Gay Horney posted:

tl;dr How can Floyd Mayweather defeat Conor McGregor when he can't even read The Secret!?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A prospective Floyd opponent strategy should NOT be to have more "ring intelligence" than one of, if not the, saviest boxers of his era.

Especially if he's never boxed before.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

Lol who wrote this?

I googled the last sentence and one of the top results is "Animals are smarter than people realize."

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I think it explains.... something?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
wait so they consider the Irish animals? hosed up if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

A prospective Floyd opponent strategy should NOT be to have more "ring intelligence" than one of, if not the, saviest boxers of his era.

Especially if he's never boxed before.

That was what stood out to me when Berto was speaking about him, how he described Mayweather as completely switched on, noticing that Floyd was looking straight at him, obviously mentally engaged, as he fought. He wasn't fighting on muscle memory or anything.

• Locked thread