Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

And I poo poo you not, 111 feels good compared to 118.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The asphalt does heave down here, too, but it's not as noticeable due to the replacement schedule. The biggest place to notice it is where asphalt meets concrete, like at an overpass or underpass on surface streets. You'll get a dip or a bump from cars dropping a bit from the concrete-asphalt transition, which compresses the asphalt into a trough, which makes the drop even bigger, etc in a feedback loop. You'll also get a wave/bump on the asphalt-concrete side from cars braking for stop lights. The underpasses for Mcdowell and Thomas where the 51 goes over are the biggest examples I can think of RN, though they just repaved McDowell.

The worst I see regularly is University as it goes under 143. Just behind the crosswalk, the asphalt basically has ruts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

And I poo poo you not, 111 feels good compared to 118.

As someone who used to work outside, on the pavement, I can tell you that this is amazingly true.

Back when I did that work there were sort of two breakpoints. At 110 degrees it went from "ok, this is hot, but oh well, to gently caress, today is going to suck". At about 115 it becomes all about figuring out how to pretend to work without ever actually getting out in the sun... 115+ working on the pavement in direct sunlight was loving miserable.

Worst day I ever had it was 117 or so, and my job for several hours that day was about 3' (back side of the sidewalk) from a road that was being repaved with full-depth pavement. Probably the closest I've ever been to working inside of an operating blast furnace. I went through an entire Igloo cooler of water in about 3 hours and had no need to pee.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
That sounds great for the health of your kidneys

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Armacham posted:

Luckily I don't do that anymore. I'm now a cubicle dweller and do my best to never leave the AC in the summer!

Construction guys and road crews live that every drat day though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Locator posted:

Yeah, tough life standing around a hole for six hours watching one poor bastard poke at something with a shovel. :v:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, tough life standing around a hole for six hours watching one poor bastard poke at something with a shovel. :v:

Hey, somebody's gotta be that poor schmuck.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Locator posted:

Luckily I don't do that anymore. I'm now a cubicle dweller and do my best to never leave the AC in the summer!

I did three summers of asphalt crew in rural Wisconsin. Start at 6 AM, finish at 6 PM six days a week. A poo poo ton of money, but Sunday you are so loving dead (and we didn't have six guys standing while one poked. We were running resurfacing machines or shoveling asphalt into those big bastards).

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

xzzy posted:

Yeah, their entire day is exactly what you see in the 3.2 seconds as you whiz by in your climate controlled car at 10mph over the speed limit :v:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Armacham posted:

Shouldn't be an issue for them. As he said, there was no peeing involved.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Co-worker just pinged me: "My stepson is changing his oil for the first time. I heard a thud from inside. I found this on both Ramps and him under the car." If I recall correctly, said stepson got his license as recently as this month, and may have already totaled another car. :ohdear:

EDIT:
Co-worker: "Should I buy life insurance on him now?"
Me: "Yes, absolutely."

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 30, 2017

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Looks like the undercarriage won that fight, to me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Co-worker just pinged me: "My stepson is changing his oil for the first time. I heard a thud from inside. I found this on both Ramps and him under the car." If I recall correctly, said stepson got his license as recently as this month, and may have already totaled another car. :ohdear:

EDIT:

More likely accident insurance, because inevitably, he will get maimed and incapacitated, rather than outright killed, this costing more.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

EDIT:

Plastic style Rhino ramps I feel much safer under than then the stamped steel poo poo in the old days. Granted the picture looks like it is on relative smooth pavement but might have been abused earlier.

And when I say abused, the worse thing you can do is place them over an uneven surface (such as a gap in the driveway with a 1/2" drop or so.) Hell the newer ones almost look like they want to fail given how they are designed with a breaking point in the middle.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I don't think I'll ever trust a ramp enough to use it instead of a jack stand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well jack stands won't get your car elevated unless you are way stronger than I am.

I think I'd prefer the average idiot use ramps than a hydraulic trolley, at least with the ramps they'll have two points for stability. Too many people assume a car balancing on a single point is "good enough" and it makes me squeamish to watch it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
And that is why I use stands with my ramps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Drive the car up the ramps and then put jack stands under the car.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

The "thud" was when he overaccelerated up the ramps and shot them both underneath the car, then planted on them by the rocker panels, right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I will admit to having overshot the end of ramps *once*. That was embarrassing enough even with no one watching that it has never happened again, in almost 30 years. I still have those same steel "Kangaroo" (brand) ramps, too. Bought 'em from TG&Y, of all places.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I have a pair of ramps looking sort of like these:

They seem to me about as solid as a jackstand (which to a high degree depends on what surface they are on). I've "provoked them" a fair bit by pushing the car sideways and turning the wheels, and nothing budged. Fast and easy for oil changes and such. I have dropped a car off them once, when someone started it and it was in gear and drove off the deep end. It was my 4WD pickup truck though, so it cleared the ramps.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I think everyone has an "overshot the ramps" story, and yeah it's something that generally only happens once lol

I've got a set (well, just one now, one got destroyed by a snow plow a couple winters ago) of Rhino ramps and they work great, never felt sketched out about them.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I discovered that those welded steel ramps are NOT designed for heavy landcruisers.... I had mine up on a set to wash all the mud out from underneath it and one collapsed.

That was a "Go inside and clean up a different kind of mud" moment

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Overshooting the ramps or even the possibility of something disengaging and having the car roll off them is why I've avoided them. Jack stands while a pain in the rear end to set up are pretty much failsafe. And, knowing myself, I'd get the cheapest ramps at Princess Auto and then use them for my half ton.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The correct answer is to get a lift.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have two pairs of 25-YO, 16-GA single-piece stamped ramps.

I trust them completely.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Godholio posted:

The correct answer is to get a lift.

This. :smuggo:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Overshooting sheet metal ramps in a '69 Bel Air makes for a set of hilarious not-ramps. Current me wishes that 1993 me had kept those as a trophy, flattened the loving snot out of them.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My truck, in what I can only describe as a typical 5.9 Cummins mechanical failure, no longer has a speedometer.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
When I was 16 and it was time for the first oil change on my first car, I asked my father where the ramps were. I'd seen him use them my whole life.

He denied ever having even seen ramps and told me to buy a floor jack and a set of jackstands. That's some good parenting.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Despite changing my oil ever since I got my own place, I have never overshot the ramps :smug:

I have, however, backed off them too quickly in a FWD car and shot them across the garage. :v:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Ive never found a set of ramps that would take any of my cars. They have always been too steep and stuff has always caught on them as i tried to drive up.

Delivery McGee posted:

When I was 16 and it was time for the first oil change on my first car, I asked my father where the ramps were. I'd seen him use them my whole life.

He denied ever having even seen ramps and told me to buy a floor jack and a set of jackstands. That's some good parenting.

In a role reversal, last week I gave my dad a pair of my heavy duty jack stands after seeing him balancing the back of a Morris Minor on a single trolley jack sat on top of a ramp for extra height.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I've got the plastic ramps. though the bottom is starting to crack on them. I've got plenty of jackstands and jacks, though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yeah mine goes on a set of 4, 3 tonne jack stands if ive gotta get it into the air now, and if i need more height ive got a stack of 100x100 cribbing blocks i can use to get extra height under the stands.

I just wanted to make it so I didnt have to lie on my back in the mud with the hose to get the gunk out from under my car! :(

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
A friend of mine has the full Race Ramps setup, since he positively can't put a lift in his garage. They're pretty darn nice and stack up easily in a corner when not needed.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

We have our own truck eating bridge and yesterday it claimed 2 more victims so someone finally made a twitter account to keep track of them all. This is a good time of the year for the bridge since most leases cycle in July.

https://twitter.com/UVAcornerbridge/status/880804064723951618

11-8 has nothing on 10-0

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
This motherfucker in the Mt. Airy section of Philadelphia has eaten two moving trucks that I've personally seen. Not only is the clearance under ten feet, but that incline there just behind the bridge is enough to lift up trucks that would squeak through were it a flat road.

While I'm "in" the area, see the house on the Northwest corner with the new-appearing porch? It IS a relatively new porch. I was out walking one day and an SUV moving at what had to have been incredible speed had hit a lamppost at Lincoln and Horter (right where the bus stop icon is). It knocked the post over, rode up the small rampart of earth at the house's lot, launched itself in the air, and landed on the porch so that it was parallel to the face of the house, balanced on the stone porch wall, between two stone columns in a space only a few feet longer than the SUV itself. Utterly goddamned amazing. The stone columns were damaged and the porch was all hosed up, of course. Rumor was that the driver was the college-aged daughter of a local lawyer, drunk along with two passengers, who all not only walked away without major injuries but somehow didn't end up having to pay for the loving repairs.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Oh hey moving trucks being eaten by bridges? Must be moving day in Boston.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2016/08/30/truck-gets-stuck-on-storrow-drive

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I remember seeing somewhere, maybe in the comment section of Jalopnik someone posted a link and pics to a bridge thats been smoked so many times, they actually put a steel I beam up for trucks to hit before the bridge itself.

Edit: Thats probably the 11-8 bridge....

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 2, 2017

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

wesleywillis posted:

I remember seeing somewhere, maybe in the comment section of Jalopnik someone posted a link and pics to a bridge thats been smoked so many times, they actually put a steel I beam up for trucks to hit before the bridge itself.

Edit: Thats probably the 11-8 bridge....
It is the 11'8" bridge, and the best part is that the crash bar has been whanged so many times that it's permanently bent inward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

tetrapyloctomy posted:

While I'm "in" the area, see the house on the Northwest corner with the new-appearing porch? It IS a relatively new porch. I was out walking one day and an SUV moving at what had to have been incredible speed had hit a lamppost at Lincoln and Horter (right where the bus stop icon is). It knocked the post over, rode up the small rampart of earth at the house's lot, launched itself in the air, and landed on the porch so that it was parallel to the face of the house, balanced on the stone porch wall, between two stone columns in a space only a few feet longer than the SUV itself. Utterly goddamned amazing. The stone columns were damaged and the porch was all hosed up, of course. Rumor was that the driver was the college-aged daughter of a local lawyer, drunk along with two passengers, who all not only walked away without major injuries but somehow didn't end up having to pay for the loving repairs.
I would happily contribute to a patreon or what ever to fund the home owner's legal expenses. That poo poo needs to stop.