Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

oh no only two of those movies are good :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HannibalBarca posted:

oh no only two of those movies are good :(

Thankfully it's the top 2.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's a solid list but any top 5 that doesn't include Godzilla Vs. Mothra makes me a little suspicious

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

idgi has he not seen shin yet?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
No Gigan, No Hope

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He didn't have Return he clearly wasn't going to have Shin.

It seems he loves the big dumb large scale slobber knockers between multiple monsters. It actually makes his inclusion of Destroyah all the more interesting.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Burkion posted:

He didn't have Return he clearly wasn't going to have Shin.

It seems he loves the big dumb large scale slobber knockers between multiple monsters. It actually makes his inclusion of Destroyah all the more interesting.

He got the original Gojira there, so while I get not enjoying Return, Shin's kinda similar too. Maybe he's hiding at 6 or something.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
FYI, it appears that the Australian version released by Madman has all the basic extras from the Japanese version: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/world-cinema/shin-godzilla/445581/

You just have to deal with the lovely cover (there's a slipcase/non-slipcase version) and our terrible rating on the front. If you're US based though it should end up being about $25+shipping.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Amazon finally seems to have Shin Godzilla up for preorder.
Shin Godzilla up for preorder. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071S71D4N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FRWozbEXEFGJD
$35 is pricey, but still worth it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Sucks that I'm going to have to buy the shittiest version of the BR due to the dub (for my son). Double dipping for the bare bones with dub and a loaded version will be close to $100.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Our first look at anime Godzilla for the up coming movie!

It's shockingly really cool that they used the 2014 design and mixed it with Shin like they did. It's not a copy of 2014, but you can tell that is a major source for it.

I never expected to see 2014 used by Toho so this is really awesome.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

those fins sort of remind me of 2000 godzilla.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So, I told my son (a fellow Gojiraphile) about the upcoming anime, and what little I knew about the story, and his reaction was "so...it's going to be like Kaiju Busters only with Godzilla?" I thought for a few minutes, and realized he's right on the money. I have no problems with this comparison.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

So, I told my son (a fellow Gojiraphile) about the upcoming anime, and what little I knew about the story, and his reaction was "so...it's going to be like Kaiju Busters only with Godzilla?" I thought for a few minutes, and realized he's right on the money. I have no problems with this comparison.

I have a bookshelf full of DS games and I never knew this existed. Gonna have to track down a copy now!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope godzilla wins

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Stairmaster posted:

i hope godzilla wins

I also am rooting for the big G, ditto for in the new rumble with Kong movie!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What they need to do is clean up and re-release Half Human, which is really good, at least the cut I've seen.

I just about shat bricks when I saw it on a torrent site a while back, isn't that movie literally locked super deep in Toho's vault never to be seen again?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just about shat bricks when I saw it on a torrent site a while back, isn't that movie literally locked super deep in Toho's vault never to be seen again?

I saw it a year or two back. From what I recall it's incomplete, but what I watched was like 65 minutes and seemed pretty complete to me.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I appreciate that crazy synopsis for Godzilla: Monster Planet. This franchise desperately needed to be pumped full of new ideas, take risks, and go wild. I would say Shin Gojira and this new anime are a step forward for Toho. I say this because my feelings toward the Millennium Series has soured a bit due to the lack of creativity, boring predictable plot lines, and the recycling of Mothra, MechaG, and King Ghidorah in a last ditch effort to squeeze money out of the sponge. The lowest point was when Toho interfered and forced the director of GMK to ditch Anguirus and Varan for more "marketable" kaiju.

I guess Toho did, at least, gamble with wacky Ryuhei Kitamura and GFW. I mean, it was a complete mess of a film and a disaster, but at least it was one of the most unique G films. I remember Final Wars way more than I remember Tokyo SOS or GxMG.

Since Legendary will probably pay homage to classic, familiar territory, we kind of get to have our cake and eat it too with Toho taking brand new approaches.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I saw it a year or two back. From what I recall it's incomplete, but what I watched was like 65 minutes and seemed pretty complete to me.

There's a 90-minute-ish subtitled copy that I'm referring to, and I have no clue where the gently caress the encoder found it (it's apparently a VHS rip but heaven loving knows what VHS it's ripped from).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The weird thing about the Millennium series is there was no continuity, it should theoretically allow for that kind of insanity, but only GMK and Final Wars really feel like a weird different take on things. The more conventional GxMG and Tokyo SOS are still good movies but it was both formless and restrictive.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I appreciate that crazy synopsis for Godzilla: Monster Planet. This franchise desperately needed to be pumped full of new ideas, take risks, and go wild. I would say Shin Gojira and this new anime are a step forward for Toho. I say this because my feelings toward the Millennium Series has soured a bit due to the lack of creativity, boring predictable plot lines, and the recycling of Mothra, MechaG, and King Ghidorah in a last ditch effort to squeeze money out of the sponge. The lowest point was when Toho interfered and forced the director of GMK to ditch Anguirus and Varan for more "marketable" kaiju.

I guess Toho did, at least, gamble with wacky Ryuhei Kitamura and GFW. I mean, it was a complete mess of a film and a disaster, but at least it was one of the most unique G films. I remember Final Wars way more than I remember Tokyo SOS or GxMG.

Since Legendary will probably pay homage to classic, familiar territory, we kind of get to have our cake and eat it too with Toho taking brand new approaches.

Final Wars was solid gold and I won't hear a bad word about it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Final Wars was solid gold and I won't hear a bad word about it.

If you don't want a Godzilla movie like Final Wars every once in a while what are you even doing here?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

The weird thing about the Millennium series is there was no continuity, it should theoretically allow for that kind of insanity, but only GMK and Final Wars really feel like a weird different take on things. The more conventional GxMG and Tokyo SOS are still good movies but it was both formless and restrictive.

Thats probably because Tokyo SOS was a direct sequel to GxMG.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like Tokyo SOS for all it's spirituality. I don't normally say that about films, so I don't know why I thought it was great in a movie featuring a giant robot and moth fighting a giant lizard monster.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If you don't want a Godzilla movie like Final Wars every once in a while what are you even doing here?

this guy i knew in high school was a huge godzilla nerd and absolutely hated Final Wars

not because of what it was trying to do, but because he felt it utterly failed to actually do it

he even hated Don Frye, how the gently caress do you hate Don Frye

(dude turned out to be kind of a jerk, naturally)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I really should peep Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs. Destroyah, again.

Unrelated: So, it turns out that both the predecessor to Gojira, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, and the antecedent of Gojira, Behemoth, the Sea Monster/The Giant Behemoth, were directed by the same dude. Same dude directed Gorgo. That's not a bad pedigree to hold against any of Honda's peak works. Like, Behemoth is a masterpiece.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

he even hated Don Frye, how the gently caress do you hate Don Frye

Preposterous

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They should come up with something better than Monsterverse.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like naming it is a moot point because it only exists to facilitate remaking Godzilla vs King Kong. It's less a cinematic universe and more an excuse for a crossover.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposed timeline of the events that led towards the animated movie

quote:

■[1] 05-1999 United States, New York-Boston area witnessed the appearance of the first of the giant organisms [Kaiju] named: Kamacuras. Estimated number of casualties: 2.5 million people.
It appeared suddenly out of the sea from the upper New York bay area. In 72 hours upon landing, it moved 330 kilometers northeast, destroying every area in its path. In retaliation, the Air Force used laser guided underground piercing bombs [Bunker Busters] against it.
※ The leading theory to explain the appearance of the Kaiju is the sudden change in the global environment.

■[2] 09-2002 United Kingdom, London-Manchester. The appearance of the Kaiju Dogora. Estimated number of casualties: 3.9 million people.

■[3] 11-2005 People's Republic of China, Tianjin-Beijing. The appearance of the Kaiju Rodan and Anguirus. Estimated number of casualties: 8.2 million people.
※ The tactical use of the biological weapon [Hedorah] was a success. The entire area of Hebei suffered an outbreak of pollution damage.

■[4] 12-2017 Australia, Sidney-Newcastle. The appearance of the Kaiju Dagahra. Estimated number of casualties: 6.7 million people.
※ Unidentified substance discharged from within the Kaiju's body caused wide bacterial infections. It continued spreading across Australia's east coast.

■[5] 05-2022 Turkey, Izmir-Ankara. The appearance of the Kaiju Orga. Estimated number of casualties: 1.15 million people.

■[6] 2030 United States, West Coast area. The appearance of a Kaiju different than all the others.The Kaiju Godzilla. Estimated number of casualties: 8.7 million people/Percentage of surviving humans:56%/World population estimate:2.3 billion people.
Los Angeles-San Francisco completely destroyed. Enormous damage incomparable to that of past Kaiju attacks took place.
※ 3 distinct Kaiju appeared simultaneously and were all annihilated by Godzilla.

■[7] 2034 Western Europe destroyed by Godzilla. An all out attack by the EU allied forces failed.
Estimated number of casualties: 6 million people/Percentage of surviving humans:30%/World population estimate:2 billion people.
Paris, the capital of France fell. The whole of Europe is evacuated.

■2035 The alien race [Bilsard] landed in London.

■2036 The alien race [Exif] landed in New York.

■[8] 2039 Humans, Bilsard and Exif established the Earth union. With the help of the Bilsard and Exif, science and technology has advanced. Operation [Eternal Light] to recover Europe was successful.
Although the mass production and development of Kaiju weapons has accelerated. An effective plan for stopping Godzilla remains to be found.

■[9] 2042 Godzilla activity confirmed (Number of occurrences 8).
Kaiju Godzilla. Estimated number of casualties: 300 million people/Percentage of surviving humans:19%/World population estimate:1.2 billion people.
Living space disappearing: 50% of the whole East Coast of the United States, Northern Africa, Eurasian continent

Project team establishment:
Selective immigration plan started. Construction began of an interstellar immigration ship.
Temporary central government function moved to the outskirts of Rio De Janeiro.

■[10] 2045 Operation [Great Wall] to confine Godzilla in the Eurasian continent is implemented. The transform boundary between the Himalayan mountain range and the Eurasian continent was destroyed using 2000 thermonuclear bombs. It resulted in the formation of a giant fault zone of 1km in width, 800m in depth and 10,000km in height. This succeeded in ceasing Godzila's advance for 1 year.

■[11] January-2046 Godzilla breaks through India's line of defense
Kaiju Godzilla. Estimated number of casualties: 200 million people/Percentage of surviving humans:13%/World population estimate:800 million people.
Godzilla confined in the continental plate, managed to break through one side of the Himalayan mountain range using his atomic breath. He disappeared in the Bengal bay.

■[12] March Lands in Hamamatsu, Japan. The final battle against Godzilla, ends in defeat.
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ loss
Continuing from the Indian peninsula. Mankind flees from the Japanese islands.
Kaiju Godzilla. Estimated number of casualties: 100 million people/Percentage of surviving humans:11%/World population estimate:700 million people.

■[13] 2048 Immigration plan for outer space is initiated.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

05-1999 United States, New York-Boston area witnessed the appearance of the first of the giant organisms [Kaiju] named: Kamacuras. Estimated number of casualties: 2.5 million people.

One year after the release of the American Godzilla.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That reads like a lot of bullshit to me, especially with how all of the iconic and cool monsters are dead before the whole thing starts

But the fact that Orga has a lower body count than Kamacuras is hilarious

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Schwarzwald posted:

One year after the release of the American Godzilla.

Some entries seem to be allusions to other things as well. Like the 2017 one feels like a nod to Pacific Rim or Godzilla making his fist appearance on San Francisco.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Some entries seem to be allusions to other things as well. Like the 2017 one feels like a nod to Pacific Rim or Godzilla making his fist appearance on San Francisco.

The story is very similar to Pacific Rim, complete with building a wall to contain the kaiju.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 30, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Their version of Godzilla is death metal as gently caress.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Dagahra is the best inclusion on that alleged canon. Like, yes, the D-list villain of Mothra 2 (a movie everyone hates) is the second most deadly kaiju of all (if you split the estimate between Rodan and Anguirus).

I like the implication that Hedorah is now a biological weapon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mantis42 posted:

Their version of Godzilla is death metal as gently caress.

Yeah, is pretty badass how once Godzilla shows up, Kaijus stop being given individual names.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, is pretty badass how once Godzilla shows up, Kaijus stop being given individual names.

Or even acknoeledged as threats at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Do any goons go to G-Fest in Chicago? I've went every year for the past 3 years, so many fun Godzilla panels from authors and crew.