Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

instead of computer or console hardware! You may know PC and Console games such as "Shadowrun", "Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow of Mystara", "Hunter The Reckoning:Redemeer for XBOX only" and the upcoming smash hit "Pathfinder: Kingmaker"! Well, they have versions where you can play without owning an original Xbox, PC or anything of the sort at all, but rather using simple things such as a "book", a "character sheet", a "pen" and a "capacity for abstraction"! Let's have a good time talking about our favorite "Table Top Video Games", as I call them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've played D&D a few times. i love it, but i don't have time for a regular group.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I haven't played any P&P stuff in years, I really miss it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've played a lot of 3.5, I'd love to try Fifth Edition but my friends refuse to play anything except 3.5

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Every time I get together with friends we have the "we should play D&D again" conversation but never actually do.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

I've played a lot of 3.5, I'd love to try Fifth Edition but my friends refuse to play anything except 3.5

5's surprisingly cool, its all the best stuff from 3.5 without the crazy bloat

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

a buddy of mines been offering to play paranoia for a bit now, i think i might take him up on it soon. i miss pnp gaming, had a 5e game set in glorantha ready to go and then it just fuckin fizzled out

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

5's surprisingly cool, its all the best stuff from 3.5 without the crazy bloat

That's what I've heard, I would try to find a group around here but I don't want to play with weird randos

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Imagination is badly underrated in the world of gaming.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bad: 100s of millions of dollars poured into motion capture, graphical fidelity, and AAA-grade voice work
Good: 100s of millions of brain cells devoted to imagining all of the above

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

That's what I've heard, I would try to find a group around here but I don't want to play with weird randos

I'd rather run 4E than 5 to imps tbh. Or Strike!, I ran to some friends here and it was pretty fun

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think tabletops are fun but I've only played them a few times because I don't know many people who are into them

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

ok, gently caress it, i love this poo poo and have been playing recently and am just gonna tryhard post the gently caress out of this. I've been playing tabletop rpgs for a while now with a group, mostly DMing and i friggin love it. We started with the FFG Star Wars system, which is really easy, narrative and fun to play. Opens up for a fun narrative once players get the hang of it. FFG are making a system agnostic game out of this system, called Genesys, and I hope its gonna cut out a bit of the old-school number crunch from Star Wars. sounds like it will be perfect for a one-shot in a new type of setting you want to try out without learning a whole new system.

Recently I've been running a Swedish dark fantasy game called Symbaroum. There are no classes, no levels, you just pick out abilities and spells and such. It's very flexible, light on the rules and has a really cool setting. Plus just check out this goddamn cool as gently caress art.

http://imgur.com/gallery/15NW3

Seriously check it out. The player races are human (civilized & barbarian), goblins, ogres and changelings. I find that really fresh, I'm sick of the standard D&D Tolkien fare. The gameplay focuses on exploring corrupted ruins of the ancient empire of Symbaroum. Hella cool.

I recently got into D&D after I wanted to up the high fantasy elements, have some more crazy races and magic, plus 5E seemed like it suited me well. i also made peace with the alignment system by opening up its interpretation and making some races not have a preset alignment. I ran some some Ravenloft and hope to be able to run the radical Curse of Strahd campaign. I also just recently ran a one-shot in my homebrew setting, which has stuff like Beholder Empires, Lich Kingdoms, Dwarf Fortresses, Sorcerer-run city states, ruins of the ancient Magitek Empire and mana wastes. im just putting it all in there, all the cool poo poo. just all of it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I'd rather run 4E than 5 to imps tbh. Or Strike!, I ran to some friends here and it was pretty fun

i tried strike and liked aspects of it but the d6 rolling method just kills it for me in combat, its even more random in some ways than d20

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

anyway if we played an imp game it should be ars magica OP

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Just read a little bit and this game sounds intense but cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've never played a non-d20 based game so anything else sounds really alien to me but I'd like to learn other systems.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Just read a little bit and this game sounds intense but cool

the rules are fuckin nuts but the settings impeccable and theres tons of really cool ideas in the system. its the coolest system i know that ill never be able to play a game in

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Plutonis posted:

It's ridiculous how good 4E is. Way better than Dungeons and Dragons has any right to be.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Haha cool concept OP but check this out bro... *walks up to you and knocks your pens and dice and poo poo on the floor and rolls up your grid paper into a large, epic blunt full of weed and puffs it a few times and walks away*

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ralps he man dnd campaign

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think about finding some game to join from craigslist or something, but i'd be worried about committing a lot of time to something only to find out the DM is like a weirdo, or an rear end in a top hat or something

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

i think about finding some game to join from craigslist or something, but i'd be worried about committing a lot of time to something only to find out the DM is like a weirdo, or an rear end in a top hat or something

you could quit and not come back if that happened imo

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

net cafe scandal posted:

Bad: 100s of millions of dollars poured into motion capture, graphical fidelity, and AAA-grade voice work

Imagine that mountain? You can go there.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't played any P&P stuff in years, I really miss it.

same here. those were great times

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

You could just use roll20 and play online. Or go to the goon threads where they assemble people to play but on retrospect they might have a bigger weirdo rate than craigslist

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
this chick i knew that played wow excessively and then moved on to lol and heartstone once told us that we should try playing dnd. We had only 6 sided dice, a pdf of the rulebook printed with a lot of missing pages, and of the 7 of us 4 had never even heard of it.

To this day I still have no idea how to play dungeons and dragons or how exactly you even do things in that game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
"I'm gonna open the door"

*throws dice, 4, 2 and 4*

"Uhmmm... what now"

"uhhhh i guess since im the master i throw too"

*throws dice, 6-3-1*

"They add up to more so I guess you dont open the door?"

[this same scenario repeats for every single action for about half an hour before we give up]

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol. The first time I played one I think it was shadowrun with some friends online. Anyway our uhh, barbarian orc guy tried to intimidate our poor GM's initial quest NPC for more money, and critically failed and killed him. Then I tried to steal his brain implants and critically failed, setting off a failsafe bomb which somehow everyone perfectly dodged. Then we failed a bunch of driving rolls and the whole party died in a car accident

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

ArfJason posted:

"I'm gonna open the door"

*throws dice, 4, 2 and 4*

"Uhmmm... what now"

"uhhhh i guess since im the master i throw too"

*throws dice, 6-3-1*

"They add up to more so I guess you dont open the door?"

[this same scenario repeats for every single action for about half an hour before we give up]

this is sad and it makes me sad

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

People who use 3d6 instead of d20s on D&D are mentally ill... Sorry you couldn't recognize the danger.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

thinking of the next one-shot i should run for the jurassic dino island setting. im thinking a small village of cursed Nothics (wizards/sorcerers who attempted to reach for great arcane power/knowledge but failed and were warped into abominations, losing all memories) are out side of the ancient, sealed temple/tomb of the ancient empire. but who should be the eternal guardian of the temple/tomb? some ideas:

eternal spirit naga
eternal mummy guardian
eternal stone golem
eternal magitek construct
eternal abomination

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

net cafe scandal posted:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

i think about finding some game to join from craigslist or something, but i'd be worried about committing a lot of time to something only to find out the DM is like a goon

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

deliberately misquoting a post... not cool

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

ArfJason posted:

this chick i knew that played wow excessively and then moved on to lol and heartstone once told us that we should try playing dnd. We had only 6 sided dice, a pdf of the rulebook printed with a lot of missing pages, and of the 7 of us 4 had never even heard of it.

To this day I still have no idea how to play dungeons and dragons or how exactly you even do things in that game.

It's funny to me that ArfJason's tabletop gaming is as slightly broken and shittily optimised as his pc gaming

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
ArfJason tries LARPing and loses a leg from clipping through a wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

yeah actually they will posted:

It's funny to me that ArfJason's tabletop gaming is as slightly broken and shittily optimised as his pc gaming

im constantly haunted by a fraps frame counter that hovers around 13

• Locked thread