Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If you remove it slowly and evenly the island will gently float back down to earth. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

If you remove it slowly and evenly the island will gently float back down to earth. :science:

Earth?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like this year's Beauty and the Beast is going to end up like Avatar, where it's this really anonymous blockbuster, became the biggest movie of the year (I don't remember if there's anything coming out this year that could top it: I think Justice League is this year; I don't see either Thor or Black Panther beating it - is there anything else out this year that could still be the year's biggest movie?) but it won't have much of a lasting impact.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

Standing on a large floating rock and removing the only thing keeping it floating doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

Depends on the purity - if its high enough just grab it with your anti-grav technology and tow it back to Earth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's irrationally irritating because I'm not sure if I'd be able to react any better, but in movies where people hit something, like a deer for example, in their car (or something scares them like somebody in the back seat) and they spend like 10 seconds screaming and then just violently jerk the wheel to one side causing them to flip over dramatically. They never seem to just slam on the brakes. The most recent example was in A Cure for Wellness, but it's happened in the Walking Dead and I guess the babadook would also qualify but I don't remember if their car flipped, only that she kept jerking the wheel back and forth randomly while screaming.

If I remember correctly in a larger vehicle (truck, SUV) youre supposed to accelerate as you hit them so the front of the vehicle is level or raised up so when you hit them they go under your car instead of braking, lowering your hood, and rolling the deer into you through the windshield.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Barudak posted:

If I remember correctly in a larger vehicle (truck, SUV) youre supposed to accelerate as you hit them so the front of the vehicle is level or raised up so when you hit them they go under your car instead of braking, lowering your hood, and rolling the deer into you through the windshield.

Well in the case I was referring to the deer was already stuck in the windshield thrashing around.

That's good to know though I guess, I didn't know that.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I liked that the plot of Avatar was driven by the inaction of a serial procrastinator. That was pretty realistic to me.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Shangri-Law School posted:

I liked that the plot of Avatar was driven by the inaction of a serial procrastinator. That was pretty realistic to me.

So, 'Hamlet', basically.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Well in the case I was referring to the deer was already stuck in the windshield thrashing around.

That's good to know though I guess, I didn't know that.

I think the deer scene in Get Out was done well. gently caress, that was such a great movie.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Serf posted:

Earth?

It's a plot twist from Avatar 2. Sorry dudes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Another one: when people realize they need to be quiet and someone says "QUIET" in a really loud voice, louder than the person they are scolding was talking. See: the beginning of 28 days later in the staircase. Is it so hard to whisper it?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Another one: when people realize they need to be quiet and someone says "QUIET" in a really loud voice, louder than the person they are scolding was talking. See: the beginning of 28 days later in the staircase. Is it so hard to whisper it?

There are these things called jokes...

E: VVV Non-comedies can also have jokes. I think the obvious nature of this joke is fairly obvious.

WampaLord has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Jun 30, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

There are these things called jokes...

28 days later isn't exactly a comedy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Superheroes constantly taking off their masks or having them destroyed to give the actor more face time. Main characters going through hell and back during an action sequence or a swimming/heavy rain scene and regrouping with perfectly styled hair. Also, all of Hulk's clothes ripping off except for his pants every time he transforms.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Superheroes constantly taking off their masks or having them destroyed to give the actor more face time. Main characters going through hell and back during an action sequence or a swimming/heavy rain scene and regrouping with perfectly styled hair. Also, all of Hulk's clothes ripping off except for his pants every time he transforms.

Characters in a medieval era with perfectly straight and whitened teeth gets me mad every time.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
At the beginning of The Avengers, Tony Stark is returning to Stark Tower after giving himself and only himself free power forever. As he's walking in, JARVIS tells him that Agent Coulson wants to speak with him and Tony says, "I'm not in," and then there's a beat and he says, "I'm actually out." It's filmed and delivered like it's a joke (there's even a pause after it for people to laugh) but... it's not a joke. I mean he's technically outside when he says it but that's still not funny.

It bothers me so much and I'm not sure why.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

WampaLord posted:

Characters in a medieval era with perfectly straight and whitened teeth gets me mad every time.

In a similar vein, women in post-apocalyptic or long-term survival scenarios who still apparently find time and resources to regularly shave their pits/legs, pluck their eyebrows, etc.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Alexander Hamilton posted:

At the beginning of The Avengers, Tony Stark is returning to Stark Tower after giving himself and only himself free power forever. As he's walking in, JARVIS tells him that Agent Coulson wants to speak with him and Tony says, "I'm not in," and then there's a beat and he says, "I'm actually out." It's filmed and delivered like it's a joke (there's even a pause after it for people to laugh) but... it's not a joke. I mean he's technically outside when he says it but that's still not funny.

I feel like Tony has a lot of these moments where he makes a snarky aside to himself that seems to only amuse him and is otherwise a terrible joke.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WampaLord posted:

As I Brit this makes me mad, but in the present day too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I appreciate that British television generally puts more normal looking people into their TV shows compared to America's inexplicable cavalcade of beautiful people in every TV show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

American shows are inexplicably full of British actors

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

I appreciate that British television generally puts more normal looking people into their TV shows compared to America's inexplicable cavalcade of beautiful people in every TV show.

Is there a British city full of beautiful/desperate people competing in the most competitive job on earth? I mean Los Angeles is weird like that, it's less common in shows produced and filmed in New York, but still a thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh I get why actors are pretty, I just meant inexplicable in terms of taking me right out of the show when I notice it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strom Cuzewon posted:

As I Brit this makes me mad, but in the present day too.

Fun fact: if you rearrange the letters of "Elizabeth the First" (who once ate a chessboard made of marzipan) you get "Zebra teeth is filth".

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Because Tony Stark is supposed to be a narcissistic rear end in a top hat huffing his own farts that only psychopaths idolize? The fact that he has "fans" says a great deal about modern America. See also: Fight Club, Scarface.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I am watching all the Marvel movies and I kind of hate Tony Stark with a burning passion now. It's a lot to take when you watch them all in a row.

Also Captain America's costume in The Avengers loving sucks, what the hell were they thinking

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Yeah, I am watching all the Marvel movies and I kind of hate Tony Stark with a burning passion now. It's a lot to take when you watch them all in a row.

Also Captain America's costume in The Avengers loving sucks, what the hell were they thinking

The avengers CA costume cracks me up because Coulson proudly takes credit for its design

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
edit: beaten

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like guessing the accent of people in movies set in ancient Greece before the person speaks.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Speaking of accents, I hate when they have an actor who's terrible at accents attempt one that isn't even necessary to the story. Like Gerard Butler playing Americans in romantic comedies. Would it matter or change the story at all if he just used his actual accent?

I saw a Dolph Lundgren movie recently called "Don't Kill It" that was cheesy fun except the bizarre choice to have him try some kind of bizarre Texas accent. Was anyone wanting to see a Dolph Lundgren movie where he doesn't talk like Ivan Drogo?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

WampaLord posted:

:same:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Disregarding the inherent complications of a man being capable of spontaneously regaining brain function or even bodily life processes after thousands of years encased in ice, I'm a little irritated that in Encino Man, a block of ice somehow stayed frozen through thousands of summers just a few meters underground in Encino, California.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Imagined posted:

Speaking of accents, I hate when they have an actor who's terrible at accents attempt one that isn't even necessary to the story. Like Gerard Butler playing Americans in romantic comedies. Would it matter or change the story at all if he just used his actual accent?

I saw a Dolph Lundgren movie recently called "Don't Kill It" that was cheesy fun except the bizarre choice to have him try some kind of bizarre Texas accent. Was anyone wanting to see a Dolph Lundgren movie where he doesn't talk like Ivan Drogo?

My favourite example of this is Colin Farrell. Hes a good actor, but accents are not exactly his forte. So in Alexander they had all the Macedonians speaking with irish accents to match him (according to an interview I saw somewhere "to reflect that the greeks would have thought of the macedonians as being from a parochial backwater" and definately not "Because Farrell cant do any accent other than his own"). Which is fine. But then in the Fright Night remake he's playing a vampire who is hundreds of years old... And he inexplicably decides that THIS is the role that deserves an attempt at an American accent. And it is not good. At all. Made worse by the fact that considering the vampire is hundreds of years old it would be completely fine for him to be an irish vampire who had emigrated to the US.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: accents: I think Rob Roy is a really good movie with Tim Roth and John Hurt playing the slimiest villains ever and a really cool sword fight at the end, but it's really distracting how Liam Neeson lapses out of "Highlands" and into "broadest Ballymena imaginable" accent-wise.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Colin Farrell is actually pretty OK at a generic American movie accent, certainly better than say, Michael Fassbender, though not as good as maybe Domhnall Gleeson or Ruth Negga. Alexander was a weird movie

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Charlie Hunnam will always be the king of terrible American accents.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like this year's Beauty and the Beast is going to end up like Avatar, where it's this really anonymous blockbuster, became the biggest movie of the year (I don't remember if there's anything coming out this year that could top it: I think Justice League is this year; I don't see either Thor or Black Panther beating it - is there anything else out this year that could still be the year's biggest movie?) but it won't have much of a lasting impact.

Star Wars

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Imagined posted:

One of my favorite things about old Schwarzenegger movies is when they make no reference to his accent whatsoever, because covering that up was utterly futile and adds nothing to the movie. But then again, for whatever reason they still had to name him John Matrix or John Kimball or whatever, because that's the important thing, calling him Rolf or whatever would shatter the illusion. He's just your average suburban Middle America insanely built superhuman with a thick accent mattress salesman, like you always see!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Sargent Candy was his best role though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think this is irrational because I think I might be stretching my logic a bit, but in Trollhunter the troll dude makes a big deal about making sure nobody believes in God because the trolls can smell it somehow. If there are creatures capable of smelling such a thing wouldn't it imply that God must exist and therefore he should believe in him as well (even if he might not like him)?