Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mind you, some of these addons that are reported incompatible work just fine when you force multiprocess. But maybe they won't survive the transfer to 57?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
There's an approx list at the are we e10s yet website.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Geemer posted:

Mind you, some of these addons that are reported incompatible work just fine when you force multiprocess. But maybe they won't survive the transfer to 57?

Yes. Multiprocess compatible and Firefox 57+ compatible are two different things. 100% of my extensions are multiprocess compatible and 0% of them are Firefox 57+ compatible.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

xamphear posted:

Yes. Multiprocess compatible and Firefox 57+ compatible are two different things. 100% of my extensions are multiprocess compatible and 0% of them are Firefox 57+ compatible.

:rip:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I can't even imagine the hubris of asking extension writers to do all the work of updating for multiprocess compatibility, then turning around and telling them to throw all that in the trash because you're switching to a totally different system.

In some ways I want to stop using firefox just because that's a totally poo poo thing to do, nevermind how it affects me personally.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

Klyith posted:

In some ways I want to stop using firefox just because that's a totally poo poo thing to do, nevermind how it affects me personally.

Just wait and it'll come naturally.

We've got a dead dog walking here.

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/06/network-monitor-reloaded/

This makes sense to me, why would you use Firefox APIs in Firefox? It's much better to use JibberJabberScript library vomitus all the way down.

Don't forget to install nope.js, you'll need its package mangler.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Implied Consent posted:

This makes sense to me, why would you use Firefox APIs in Firefox? It's much better to use JibberJabberScript library vomitus all the way down.

Yeah, reinventing your own UI frameworks, state managers, data structures, test frameworks, packagers, and dependency managers seems like a great use of time.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

I can't even imagine the hubris of asking extension writers to do all the work of updating for multiprocess compatibility, then turning around and telling them to throw all that in the trash because you're switching to a totally different system.

Completely agree.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, reinventing your own UI frameworks, state managers, data structures, test frameworks, packagers, and dependency managers seems like a great use of time.

I'm with the Dentist, while I've got issues w/ a lot of Mozilla's choices recently what they've done with the dev tools is super-smart and practical. Keeping it all in moz-specific technologies makes it harder to find people who can work on it and at this point offers very little other value.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The new Firefox Focus browser that they just released for Android absolutely flies on my Nexus 6p.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Hughmoris posted:

The new Firefox Focus browser that they just released for Android absolutely flies on my Nexus 6p.

Please keep all posts in this here Firefox thread negative, doomsay and backseat deving is also acceptable. Your post is to much in the natural to positive range, and really bud you just come off as a giant shill, go away shill.

Switching to Chrome and wtf uBlock Origin can now Zap poo poo, dumb.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hughmoris posted:

I tried it out and it just seems to be a regular browser permanently in incognito mode. Why wouldn't I just use incognito mode?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried it out and it just seems to be a regular browser permanently in incognito mode. Why wouldn't I just use incognito mode?

Because most users don't know it exists or what it does.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I don't know about the Android version, but one of the nice things about the iOS version is that it hooks into Safari's ad blocking API so it blocks all the ads that track you there too. It's one of the better free ad blockers on iOS in my experience (although this doesn't say much). I don't use the browser in Focus, but I could see why someone would; the extra separation from your main browser probably makes it easier to remember, "This is my secret browser."

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I guess the name isn't obvious enough. Focus is a fast, barebones browser for one-off searches/lookups.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anyone else having trouble pausing videos? Due to the bad morals of web design, I find myself constantly stopping videos I don't want to play. But it takes a few seconds for Firefox to actuate my click, it seems like it takes some time to load the video and the "play lovely things" component loads before "the ability to stop lovely thing". Could be that my laptop is growing long in the tooth, but still, should be possible.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
You could try https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashstopper/. Despite the name, it stops html5 and all other manner of videos too. Sometimes they get a blip of audio off first before it fires but usually not.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
You can also set media.autoplay.enabled to false in about:config.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pairofdimes posted:

You can also set media.autoplay.enabled to false in about :config.

It makes youtube a bit of a hassle, but worth a try. I hope all news web designers feel awful, history will judge them harshly.

e: it also breaks gifvs. Flashstopper is non-multiprocess as of yet and failed to stop quite a few videos. If autoplay=false can stop everything, a pretty simple addon should be able to filter some of the things.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 22, 2017

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

pairofdimes posted:

You can also set media.autoplay.enabled to false in about :config.

that config plus https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/autoplay-toggle/?src=ss is seriously the only thing keeping me on firefox. Hopefully chrome gets their built-in autoplay stopper done before firefox kills off the last thing holding me to it.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=715049

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Is Firefox Focus worth using on Android over regular+uBlock ?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Ola posted:

It makes youtube a bit of a hassle, but worth a try. I hope all news web designers feel awful, history will judge them harshly.

e: it also breaks gifvs. Flashstopper is non-multiprocess as of yet and failed to stop quite a few videos. If autoplay=false can stop everything, a pretty simple addon should be able to filter some of the things.

Mine says Compatible with Multiprocess?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

Mine says Compatible with Multiprocess?

quote:

Known issues:
* Isolated media elements will not stop (use media.autoplay.enabled = false)
Multiprocess incompatible (there is an e10s version in the dev channel)

On this site for instance:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/06/21/home-depot-menards-lumber-size-lawsuit/415874001/

Neither default settings nor proactive blocking stops the video. But it says my multiprocess is still enabled after install/restart so perhaps the addon is broken by it. I did set force multiprocess at some point but undid all the settings I could find. The workaround of autoplay=false will obviously work without installing the addon. It looks like it makes autoplay=false work differently on youtube, the videos start with the replay icon activated instead of pause. Perhaps that's better. GIFs in the GIF thread work if you right-click and play, but that doesn't work on twitter.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Ola posted:

On this site for instance:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/06/21/home-depot-menards-lumber-size-lawsuit/415874001/

Neither default settings nor proactive blocking stops the video. But it says my multiprocess is still enabled after install/restart so perhaps the addon is broken by it. I did set force multiprocess at some point but undid all the settings I could find. The workaround of autoplay=false will obviously work without installing the addon. It looks like it makes autoplay=false work differently on youtube, the videos start with the replay icon activated instead of pause. Perhaps that's better. GIFs in the GIF thread work if you right-click and play, but that doesn't work on twitter.

I have the one from the dev channel, I guess. I don't really recall which addons I had to do that vs. which just updated themselves to e10s compatible.
It stops the video on that site for me, and I don't have proactive blocking on. When I enable session autoplay for that site and refresh, it starts autoplaying, so I think that confirms that it's not being stopped by something else. I'm not really sure how to explain why it's working for me but not you, sorry. :( I guess try the dev channel version? I'm on FF 53.0.2.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

I have the one from the dev channel, I guess. I don't really recall which addons I had to do that vs. which just updated themselves to e10s compatible.
It stops the video on that site for me, and I don't have proactive blocking on. When I enable session autoplay for that site and refresh, it starts autoplaying, so I think that confirms that it's not being stopped by something else. I'm not really sure how to explain why it's working for me but not you, sorry. :( I guess try the dev channel version? I'm on FF 53.0.2.

You getting different results from me is good news though. I can wait until it's released.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dud root posted:

Is Firefox Focus worth using on Android over regular+uBlock ?

It has no home page, no tabs, and no bookmarks. Just use incognito mode on regular.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

gently caress it, I've been using Firefox since it was called Firebird 0.7 or whatever and I don't like any other browser so I guess I'm going down with the ship. :saddowns:

Until then, are there any replacements for extensions that bring back the addon bar (like Add-on Bar Restored and New Addon Bar) that will still work come November or is that one of those things like Classic Theme Restorer that is just done?

Oh, and Quick Content Search. That's the other one I could use a replacement for.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Pikestaff posted:

gently caress it, I've been using Firefox since it was called Firebird 0.7 or whatever and I don't like any other browser so I guess I'm going down with the ship. :saddowns:

Until then, are there any replacements for extensions that bring back the addon bar (like Add-on Bar Restored and New Addon Bar) that will still work come November or is that one of those things like Classic Theme Restorer that is just done?

Oh, and Quick Content Search. That's the other one I could use a replacement for.

Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat. Plus, as much as I'm going to miss some of the addons that will break instantly, there are still a ton of features about the browser itself that are vastly better than the alternatives. It'll just suck for a while waiting to find new remakes of old addons when possible.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Hey, so given that Mozilla is not putting out a new ESR alongside version 57, and given that Firefox 55 profiles are going to break compatibility with previous versions... Should we change the title or something to warn people? If you think you're going to jump to ESR to keep your addons, you should move to the ESR branch NOW, before version 55 hits, or you may lose your entire profile and have to start from scratch.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/55.0beta/releasenotes/
"Breaking profile changes - do not downgrade Firefox and use a profile that has been opened with Firefox 55+."

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

xamphear posted:

Should we change the title or something to warn people?

Firefox 57 and beyond (check out Opera or Chrome)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I edited the title to be as clear at a glance as possible given the length limitations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Probably stupid question, but if I'm on 54 right now, do I just need to change the update channel to ESR or reinstall from ESR 52?

I followed the instructions here: https://mike.kaply.com/2017/02/02/plugin-support-in-firefox-52/

And my About Firefox shows I'm on the "esr" channel as expected, so it looks like that worked, though it's still 54.0. Should I uninstall (but keep the profile), then reinstall 52 ESR instead?

I mostly am doing this to preserve some extensions I use heavily at work. My home computer can probably tolerate the upheaval once it goes down.

[Edit] Yep, that's all you do. Uninstall and then reinstall ESR.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 5, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alereon posted:

I edited the title to be as clear at a glance as possible given the length limitations.

When 57 comes out, we can retitle it Firefox 52 ESR: 6 months to say goodbye

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Latest update disabled multi-cpu. It was this, again:

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Some Windows accessibility tools will disable multi-process: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re-enable-multi-process-disabled-windows-utilities
besides that just try forcing an enable

Or maybe it was something else? Don't really care at this point.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Made the jump to 52 ESR now so I wouldn't forget.

I appreciate doing things out of spite but gently caress you Mozilla. gently caress you.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Multiprocess is still poo poo anyway, it's just a frontend + backend. Woop. Where's the process-per-tab backend so misbehaving tabs don't screw everything else up? So you can see per-tab resource consumption? So you can do ANYTHING USEFUL other than "threading just to gently caress up extensions for no real gain"

Goddamnit firefox, you're going to cause so many security problems because everyone's going to get hosed by the 55 ratchet and stay there because 57 is a dumpster full of gas and cardboard just waiting for a match.

Can't wait for the people posting :smug: in here about 56 vulnerabilities biting everyone in the rear end, telling them they should have used 52 ESR and reconstructed their profile by hand.

Harik fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 4, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Harik posted:

Multiprocess is still poo poo anyway, it's just a frontend + backend. Woop. Where's the process-per-tab backend so misbehaving tabs don't screw everything else up?

Firefox 54+ already has multiple content processes. Also I'm not sure what - if anything - you mean by "frontend + backend", since that's not how the processes are separated in Firefox. There's a chrome (parent) process, and currently 4 content (child) processes.

Harik posted:

So you can see per-tab resource consumption?

about :performance

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 4, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Avenging Dentist posted:

Firefox 54+ already has multiple content processes. Also I'm not sure what - if anything - you mean by "frontend + backend", since that's not how the processes are separated in Firefox. There's a chrome (parent) process, and currently 4 content (child) processes.

about :performance

Frontend takes the user input, backend renders. Same way of describing the situation. I'm somehow still on 53 apparently, with a single Web Content process. Guess the update didn't take for some reason, I'll DL it manually.

E: Firefox 54.0 still has a single content process.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 4, 2017

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Harik posted:

Multiprocess is still poo poo anyway, it's just a frontend + backend. Woop. Where's the process-per-tab backend so misbehaving tabs don't screw everything else up?

I sure love seeing the message THIS TAB JUST CRASHED DO YOU WANT TO SEND A CRASH REPORT and then also seeing it in literally every other tab in every window I have open. :thumbsup:
I guess it's technically better than the whole process folding and having to restore the windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Geemer posted:

I sure love seeing the message THIS TAB JUST CRASHED DO YOU WANT TO SEND A CRASH REPORT and then also seeing it in literally every other tab in every window I have open. :thumbsup:
I guess it's technically better than the whole process folding and having to restore the windows?

It's funny, I get that all the time on Chrome but FF has been stable ever since they isolated the oldschool plugins. When crashing is easy developers tend to treat it as not-an-issue. I guess that's the ~~~glorious vision~~~ of ff now too?