Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

numberoneposter posted:

the crypto currency of the future is going to be counter-strike weapon skins

Good thing I got in on the Ground Floor, as you might call it haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

QuarkJets posted:

You think that transaction ids should be able to uniquely identify transactions? That sounds like statist talk to me

For those who don't know, the transaction id is made of a couple numbers that are concatenated, something like the sender id, receiver id, and a timestamp.

The fun part is that the protocol didn't specify what order the numbers go to form the id, so someone could search for sender.receiver.time but not find it because it was published as receiver.time.sender

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
btw, the book is up for preorder, release date July 24. OH GOD I HAVE THREE WEEKS TO DO ALL THE THINGS

if you're a cheap bastard, you can basically read the entire text on my facebook, if not conveniently. (posted drafts from late May on)

there is a FAQ. it has one answer, and I didn't even have to say what the question was.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Looking forward to your book! :)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

divabot posted:

btw, the book is up for preorder, release date July 24. OH GOD I HAVE THREE WEEKS TO DO ALL THE THINGS

if you're a cheap bastard, you can basically read the entire text on my facebook, if not conveniently. (posted drafts from late May on)

there is a FAQ. it has one answer, and I didn't even have to say what the question was.

smh you admit your wiki work but hide your brothers in grenades

anyway, good work :)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Link to Goatse in Sources, IMO.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

will there be print copies of your book? I'd like to give it as a mean gift.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Paladinus posted:

Link to Goatse in Sources, IMO.

Gotta cite that lemon party; they do quality work in the lemon party.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

SavageGentleman posted:

Looking forward to your book! :)

:kiss:

TO DO:
* write the conclusion (yeah, I uh haven't actually finished the text yet)
* finalise the art (cheers to my great artist Alli Kirkham, give her work)
* work out how the gently caress to record sound off Skype on Android
* because I need to talk to someone from Bitfinex about their bit and you bet there's NFW I'll be doing that without permission to record
* paperback layout (OH GOD THERE ARE A ZILLION PAPERBACK SIZES I HAVE TO MAKE DECISIONS)
* work out publicity routine
* drink self into stupor

nearing 100 presales, pretty good Initial Book Offering!

I can honestly say this book would not have been possible without Something Awful. Here's to sneer culture, the wind beneath my wings.

Waffle House posted:

Gotta cite that lemon party; they do quality work in the lemon party.

I used to have root on the server that hosted lemonparty. I was pretty surprised to find out.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wow, you're selling this already and there's not even a finished product !!!

Sounds like Star Citizen to me!!!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Siri write down my new idea : Star Citizen ICO tokens or some poo poo

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Siri write down my new idea : Star Citizen ICO tokens or some poo poo

I literally told people on FB and Tumblr "send me dollarcoins and poundcoins on the paypalchain for an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is" and they sent me loving money. I got £20 and had to tell them to stop it I was joking. I considered starting an ICO but the loved one has these "ethics" things and vetoed the idea.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Careful writing that ending. I'm gonna be pissed if it turns out the whole thing was just a dream

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"books?" i dont know what that is but you must mean bookcoin and how many hundreds of dollars can i buy them for. i wanna get in on the ground floor

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

divabot posted:

I literally told people on FB and Tumblr "send me dollarcoins and poundcoins on the paypalchain for an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is" and they sent me loving money. I got £20 and had to tell them to stop it I was joking. I considered starting an ICO but the loved one has these "ethics" things and vetoed the idea.

You could satisfy your ethics by directing bitcoiner money to something more useful that whatever the next 'legitimate blockchain entrepreneur' to come along does with it. Use what you've learned to get that money sent to some charity instead of some Randian. On the other hand, having something coming out of it that isn't a really sordid scam might serve to legitimatize it. Maybe have the money sent to whatever charity the bitcoiners would hate the most.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

gary oldmans diary posted:

to compensate you for your lost bitcoins we are issuing the equivalent value in whoopsiecoins which we just made up and can be traded freely on this very site
oh look at that. whoopsiecoin just depreciated to 1/50th the value it was when we made it up. oh well. now we will buy them all back with bitcoin. oh what sad luck that the market forces we controlled didnt benefit you in your whoopsiecoin trading. better luck next time. we consider you fairly compensated for the loss of your original bitcoins which were stolen under our care

VERY MISLEADING. They didn't depreciate by quite that much. Did they?

divabot posted:

Do I get some kind of figurine or collectible tin milk crate if I preorder?

quote:

Surely you should have said "fiat currencies"?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

how do i mine blocks on this new bookchain, does cpu mining still work or do i have to order more milk crates?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

how do i mine blocks on this new bookchain, does cpu mining still work or do i have to order more milk crates?

the bookchain uses shelving from Ikea by preference

the proof of work is doing poo poo like what I'm doing which is watching Craig Wright's talk at The Future Of Bitcoin. Most of an hour of Hugely! Emphatic! loving Sweary! Emphatic! Markov blockchain! Bullshit!

really, I read a mountain of loving awful 10,000 word white papers so nobody else has to

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

divabot posted:

Craig Wright's talk at The Future Of Bitcoin. Most of an hour of Hugely! Emphatic! loving Sweary! Emphatic! Markov blockchain! Bullshit!

That's the Australian Satoshi right? I'd be disappointed if he didn't use the word oval office at least twice.

Also what the hell is your new, less objectionable avatar?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://news.bitcoin.com/introducing-do-nothing-technologies-blockchain-ico/

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Buttcoin purse posted:

That's the Australian Satoshi right? I'd be disappointed if he didn't use the word oval office at least twice.

He did tell objectors to "gently caress off" at one point.

Oh, he also offered to sue people calling him a "fraud":

3:39:21: “I’m a pariah. I am an evil person that some people like to call fraud. Some of those are going to discover the legal consequences very cert, ah, sure ... well, I won’t say exactly when, and I won’t say who quite yet, but they’re coming.”

Buttcoin purse posted:

Also what the hell is your new, less objectionable avatar?

Eliezer Yudkowsky in his early period. Floating overhead: Roko's basilisk, recently escaped from the AI box.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I can't believe how expensive video cards are now lmao

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

stump collector posted:

I can't believe how expensive video cards are now lmao

Just wait a few months when this poo poo inevitably crashes again and get them for 70% off used

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Just wait a few months when this poo poo inevitably crashes again and get them for 70% off used

"this card totally wasn't used for crypto mining and is definitely not trashed"

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
If you recalled my post from a month or so ago, you would know that I bought a $2000 mining rig (actually more like 1800 as I refunded 1 bad GPU immediately). Today I read a bunch of ill news about the future of polaris GPU architecture struggling against a growing DAG and decided to post my GPUs for sale on ebay. I bought them at 269.99, I posted them for $400 used buy it now, and they all sold nearly instantly. Obviously should have posted at a higher price, but whatever. What blows me away is that at $400, it will take ~6 months to achieve payback assuming 27Mhash (which according to things will be more like 22Mhash in ~10 epoch cycles or so). If the price stays constant without any big jumps/dips, and the DAG growth impact happens as I predict it will, and difficulty continues to climb, yeah it would be more like 60 month payback period.

Am I crazy? I mined 2.2eth in that month, and so have accomplished the dream of buying a bunch of GPUs, mining with them, and selling at a profit. A year from now, I'll break down crying when the hashrates never went down and the difficulty dropped and prices skyrocketed somehow. Still keeping my 2.2 as ether.

Good day.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Spudalicious posted:

If you recalled my post from a month or so ago, you would know that I bought a $2000 mining rig (actually more like 1800 as I refunded 1 bad GPU immediately). Today I read a bunch of ill news about the future of polaris GPU architecture struggling against a growing DAG and decided to post my GPUs for sale on ebay. I bought them at 269.99, I posted them for $400 used buy it now, and they all sold nearly instantly. Obviously should have posted at a higher price, but whatever. What blows me away is that at $400, it will take ~6 months to achieve payback assuming 27Mhash (which according to things will be more like 22Mhash in ~10 epoch cycles or so). If the price stays constant without any big jumps/dips, and the DAG growth impact happens as I predict it will, and difficulty continues to climb, yeah it would be more like 60 month payback period.

Am I crazy? I mined 2.2eth in that month, and so have accomplished the dream of buying a bunch of GPUs, mining with them, and selling at a profit. A year from now, I'll break down crying when the hashrates never went down and the difficulty dropped and prices skyrocketed somehow. Still keeping my 2.2 as ether.

Good day.

Those 2.2 Eth will be worth 2 Lamborghinis in a few years! Good choice!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

can we make a cryptocurrency called SaltCoin where you crunch by posting on the internet

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
How is this thread still going? What have I created?!

GuitarJunkie
Sep 8, 2004

"Boy, have we got a vacation for you."
An anonymous cyrpto millionaire is just a theory, if you actually turned it into hard cash the hammer's about to drop on your taxable property:

quote:

Instead of asking Coinbase for a long list of details about its customers who bought or sold bitcoin between 2013 and 2015, the IRS told a federal court it is now seeking information only for those accounts that engaged in transactions worth $20,000 or more.

The news will come as a relief to thousands of people who dabbled in bitcoin but faced the prospect of a tax investigation for failing to disclose they sold a small amount of the currency, or used it to purchase goods and services. The IRS launched the investigation in part because the price of bitcoin soared from $13 to over $1,100 during the years in question, and because only 802 people reported their bitcoin gains or losses in 2015 to the agency.

http://fortune.com/2017/07/10/bitcoin-irs-coinbase/

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Captain Gordon posted:

How is this thread still going? What have I created?!

Retardation is a perpetual motion OP

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The main drug market got busted again after a 2+ year run, founder was living in thailand with 3 mansions and 4 lambos and has since hanged himself in a thai jail

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/07/report-alphabay-notorious-dark-web-drug-website-shuttered-by-feds/

quote:

AlphaBay, one of the largest Tor-hidden drug websites that sprang up in the wake of Silk Road, has been shuttered for good after a series of law enforcement raids and arrests.

The site mysteriously went dark earlier this month. Some users on Reddit suspected an "exit scam," in which AlphaBay's founders had shuttered the site and absconded with piles of bitcoins.

According to The Wall Street Journal, which reported the news on Thursday, police in the United States, Canada, and Thailand collaborated to arrest Alexandre Cazes, who allegedly was the head of the online operation. The Canadian citizen was arrested on July 5 in Thailand, the same day that two raids on residences in Quebec, Canada, were executed. On Wednesday, Cazes was found dead, hanged in his Thai jail cell.

The Bangkok Post, citing Thai police sources, reported that Cazes had been living in Thailand for about eight years. Thai authorities also impounded "four Lamborghini cars and three houses worth about 400 million baht ($11.7 million) in total."

Cazes' name does not appear in a search of federal court records, but if any charges do exist, they may still be sealed.

Ross Ulbricht, the young Texan who was convicted of creating and operating Silk Road, was given a double life sentence—which was upheld earlier this year on appeal. Ulbricht was also known as "Dread Pirate Roberts."

The Department of Justice did not immediately respond to Ars' request for comment.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 14, 2017

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
how muhc runescape gold does one bitcoin buy

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Live fast die young : The bitcoin story

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Live fast die young : The bitcoin story
gpus in a blaze of glory

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Is the Bitcoin bubble about to burst? Traders warn cryptocurrency could CRASH this week

Apparently there's some technical poo poo going on with Bitcoin that could totally gently caress it all up:
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/bitcoin-miners-miss-first-bip-148-deadline/

I guess this explains why Bitcoin has dropped $1000 in just over 4 weeks

edit:

Toys For Ass Bum fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 16, 2017

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
just saw a big sign that said bitcoin atm at a pawn shop. im curious to stop buy and see what rate it gives

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

would pay many bitscoin for someone to make a website that rotates and varies the speed of this depending on the change in value that day

also a historical rendering of the roller coaster so we can all relive the experience

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gonna play devil's advocate and say that if we're basing Bitcoins performance as a long term investment (like most serious minded investors do) then even with these dips it's still well ahead. I wouldn't buy them even with someone else's money, mind you, but over a few years time they have increased in value....if not liquidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

http://www.bitcoinrollercoaster.com/ already exists but like bitcoin it doesn't work properly most of the time.

• Locked thread