Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
apparently kite sniped the image I was saving for this month :argh:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

apparently kite sniped the image I was saving for this month :argh:

B-B-Big-E? :shobon:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oddium's dad update: he got witcher 3 in the steam sale and it sounds like he likes it so far

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

oddium's dad update: he got witcher 3 in the steam sale and it sounds like he likes it so far

:great:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Witcher 3 is the epitome of the Dadgame

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
My dad has a PS3 he mostly uses as a media device since my little brother left for college and he was asking me for a game recommendation since he really hasn't played anything since the Gamecube era. I recommended him Wolfenstein: The New Order since he used to love FPSes and I don't think he even managed to figure out how to escape the plane at the beginning without giving up because it was too confusing :sigh:

The weird thing is that one of the few games he ever got really, really into was Hitman: Codename 47 and Hitman 2: Silent Assassin which even fans of the games will tell you are complicated and obtuse and janky as hell. That and Turok: Evolution which was a slow and ugly console FPS with minute-long loading times every time you died and awful unskippable flight levels.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

My dad has a PS3 he mostly uses as a media device since my little brother left for college and he was asking me for a game recommendation since he really hasn't played anything since the Gamecube era. I recommended him Wolfenstein: The New Order since he used to love FPSes and I don't think he even managed to figure out how to escape the plane at the beginning without giving up because it was too confusing :sigh:

The opening sequence of New Order is badly designed, I remember playing that and getting confused myself with that they were asking you to do and bounced off it. If the 2016 election had gone the other way I probably would have never gotten back around to it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ah, Fortune, I love your sax solo :allears:

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

My mother was really intrigued by The Talos Principle after hearing me carry on about it and wanted to give it a whirl. She took one look at it and was very confused; it turns out she was expecting something similar to a crossword or sudoku. She couldn't comprehend the idea of a puzzle existing in a three-dimensional space. I thought it was sort of fascinating, but it also really made me want a game centred around solving sudoku puzzles interspersed with philosophical musings.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

basalt posted:

My mother was really intrigued by The Talos Principle after hearing me carry on about it and wanted to give it a whirl. She took one look at it and was very confused; it turns out she was expecting something similar to a crossword or sudoku. She couldn't comprehend the idea of a puzzle existing in a three-dimensional space. I thought it was sort of fascinating, but it also really made me want a game centred around solving sudoku puzzles interspersed with philosophical musings.

You and your mother could play The Witness

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

basalt posted:

it turns out she was expecting something similar to a crossword or sudoku.

Maybe she'd like picross?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5PdpsfINA

"daerk souls"

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You and your mother could play The Witness
I definitely thought of that game at the time (which I've played and enjoyed), but one of my favourite parts of it are the enviromental puzzles, and I'm not sure how you would achieve something like that with sudoku. Perhaps I'll mention it to her, but I think even learning to navigate a game like that would take some effort on her part.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When you have a child something changes in your brain and you're only allowed to play dr mario and hidden object games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I've had a copy of DDS 2 since it came out that I've never played because I never beat the first one.

i just bought 1 recently, looking forward to playing it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Ah, Fortune, I love your sax solo :allears:

The dead cells boss music is so sick.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

When you have a child something changes in your brain and you're only allowed to play dr mario and hidden object games

:objection:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I was on board for a little bit, but his deconstruction of how there isn't much depth to souls combat leave me wondering what action games he things have depth. And I'm someone who open admires souls combat for being simple but refined.

But then he does on to talk about how bosses can't be parried or blocked and I don't even know what game he's talking about anymore.

edit: I get what he's going for, but he's being awfully dismissive. His argument is basically that if you ignore timing, positioning, and combos, all weapons are basically the same except for their animations and damage numbers.

Yes. Yes they are. If you ignore all the differences, they are the same.

So I figured "okay, he means it's not like DMC, where there's a third dimension and constant switching between weapons and ranged attacks, and juggling" but the he literally says "I'm no saying you should be able to juggle hollows"

And one of his criticism is that your toolkit boils down to light, heavy, and ranged.

You know, the same toolkit that every character action game has.

I think I probably agree that his overall point is valid, but he sure spends a lot of time making a flimsy argument full of holes that doesn't do very much to support his actual point.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 1, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Snak posted:

I was on board for a little bit, but his deconstruction of how there isn't much depth to souls combat leave me wondering what action games he things have depth. And I'm someone who open admires souls combat for being simple but refined.

But then he does on to talk about how bosses can't be parried or blocked and I don't even know what game he's talking about anymore.

matthewmetosis makes good videos but he's bad at Dark Souls i'm a huge prick

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just got to the part where his argument turns to "Demon's Souls is more realistic" :psyduck:

He also criticizes that the mechanism for fighting bosses is learning how to fight them. And says that "learning a bosses moveset is a fine way to beat a boss, but when you do it 20 times per game, it's a bit much". He thinks that gimmick fights reward the player for being smart and that's much better.

I can't even.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

The dead cells boss music is so sick.

You know it's good because it's one of the few non-theme songs they put in Super Smash Bros Brawl. Also because it's one of the only times an MGS game re-uses a boss song like that, Foxhound and the Cobra Squad all got unique boss themes along with Beauty an the Beast Squad and the Skulls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6SVt7_4wSU

I'm just sad we never got an actual boss battle against Fortune with a full version of Kill Me Now! as the battle music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9cB-ej85J8

MysticalMachineGun posted:

matthewmetosis makes good videos but he's bad at Dark Souls i'm a huge prick

Yeah, I didn't even finish the video or even think it was very good. I just couldn't pass up making a Coach Z goof.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 1, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, I didn't even finish the video or even think it was very good. I just couldn't pass up making a Coach Z joke.

A jorb well done.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Help Im Alive posted:

I'ts pretty much all you have time for. :negative:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I knew about Earthbound's music samples but I didn't know Mother 3 had so many of them too. Well, aside from the really obvious ones like using the Batman theme for Mr. Batty or the classical music during the ghost conductor battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZ9hXBrQMY

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

so what I'm getting from this is Shostakovich is Porky and we need to defeat him in turn-based combat

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snak posted:

I just got to the part where his argument turns to "Demon's Souls is more realistic" :psyduck:

He also criticizes that the mechanism for fighting bosses is learning how to fight them. And says that "learning a bosses moveset is a fine way to beat a boss, but when you do it 20 times per game, it's a bit much". He thinks that gimmick fights reward the player for being smart and that's much better.

I can't even.

I, too, seek only the most transient of pleasures

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Anyone gotten anything cool in the steam sale besides oddium's dad?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Looper posted:

Fidelio Incident was a pretty good walking simulator with some lovely Irish voice acting.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnRp-cmOB-0

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wait, what game is that?

Oh, is that UT4? Is UT4 happening? Was it at e3?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That version of UT has been in early access for like 2 years

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Looper posted:

Heart's Medicine

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

How much is oddium's dad on the steam sale

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

That version of UT has been in early access for like 2 years

So it's like... a new UT, that's currently free.

It's a good thing I don't play games like that anymore or it would eat my life.

Also why I didn't know about it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Looper posted:

if the steam activity feed didn't arbitrarily cut off like 3 days before the current day, I'd post the gigantic list of anime I got for like 20 bucks when I bought the two seasons of ghost in the shell stand alone complex and mob psycho 100. Seems steam treats each episode as a "game" so your activity feed completely explodes when you buy an entire anime series.

I'd like to see what it looks like when someone buys all 30 seasons of Naruto. Well, no I don't, because that would mean someone bought all 30 seasons of Naruto.

Other than anime I got, uh, Dead Cells, the Stellaris DLC pack, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Nex Machina, the Disney Afternoon Collection, Sentris, and the original Dead Rising. Came out to about ninety bucks, not bad for a crapload of stuff.

Oh, also, crossposting this because it looks rad and has a playable early build demo available right on the KS page:

holy shiiiiit FIGHT KNIGHT

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1139574598/fight-knight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqlIUPBeoKo

IT'S TELEROBOXER DUNGEON EXPLORING

!!!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo free demo.

edit: God damnit my antivirus locked it up.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 1, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Looper posted:

i got angels with scaly wings from gift train

and heart's medicine in the same ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wow, it got funded almost instantly. Cool, I've been watching the progress on this on 4chan's game dev thread in the past couple months.

• Locked thread